Mon, Sep 23, 1:36 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 23 12:42 pm)

Subject: poser 7 and windows 7 64 bit

santolina-sailor ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2010 at 4:42 PM · edited Mon, 23 September 2024 at 1:35 PM

Is poser 7 and windows 7 64 bit compatilble,?I know there where some threads dedicated to this question but like an idiot I didnt really take a lot of notice.

p

thefixer ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2010 at 4:47 PM

Yes, I use it all the time...
Poser 6, 7 and 8 with Windows 7 Ultimate 64

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

santolina-sailor ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2010 at 5:09 PM

No hicups or any parculiarites affecting 7?

p

Larry F ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2010 at 5:44 PM

Bookmark.

Just updated to Windows 7 Pro.  Have Poser 7, getting PoserPro2010 shortly.

DarkEdge ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2010 at 5:51 PM

I used Poser 7 and Windows XP Pro x64 bit and didn't have any problems. Now using Windows 7 x64 bit with P8 and P2010 with no problems.

Comitted to excellence through art.

JOELGLAINE ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2010 at 6:13 PM

For Windows 7-- I found it work better in the "Documents" folder. The "Programs Files" folder keeps stuff in a "read-only" nature that keeps from uploading any new zip files to the runtime, or modifications to the textures from the same. If you try to "uncompress" (or DECOMPRESS for people who use English for their native language!:laugh:) poser files, it only works correctly in other than "Read-only" territory.

Windows 7 has a number of weird little quirks like that to beware of.

I cannot save the world. Only my little piece of it. If we all act together, we can save the world.--Nelson Mandela
An  inconsistent hobgoblin is the fool of little minds
Taking "Just do it" to a whole new level!   

santolina-sailor ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2010 at 7:47 PM

Quote - For Windows 7-- I found it work better in the "Documents" folder. The "Programs Files" folder keeps stuff in a "read-only" nature that keeps from uploading any new zip files to the runtime, or modifications to the textures from the same. If you try to "uncompress" (or DECOMPRESS for people who use English for their native language!:laugh:) poser files, it only works correctly in other than "Read-only" territory.

Windows 7 has a number of weird little quirks like that to beware of.

So in fact what you are saying is that when I reinstall 7 I should guide the intall to? into my "my documents folder for a better result as this will stop  read only problem,or perhaps any new folder I create on the main drive other than Program files,coerrect?

Thanks

p

JOELGLAINE ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2010 at 8:11 PM

As far as I know of. I know where it works at now. I do NOT know of other places where it will work.

"My Documents" is where Poser Pro 2010 installs to and that's fine for me!:laugh:

I cannot save the world. Only my little piece of it. If we all act together, we can save the world.--Nelson Mandela

Lzy724 ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2010 at 9:14 PM

I added mine in before I heard all of this, "dont install into your programs folder"  but I only use the main runtime for v4 and m4 stuff....

The rest I have loaded into 1 big runtime on my c drive.  I havent had any issues of yet.

Larry F ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2010 at 11:18 PM · edited Fri, 27 August 2010 at 11:21 PM

My system is now 64-bit WIn-7 Pro with an extra (internal not external) 1TB HDD (OS is on 80 gb SSD) and did I correctly understand that I could even if I wanted run Poser 7 from that 1TB HDD, since it (arguably) doesn't have to go in C:Programsetc.? 

OR, would I have to place Poser 7 (soon to be PoserPro2010) in anywhere else on the C drive except Programs/etc.?

I'm the type that likes to experiment but have just started school again and won't have a lot of spare time to install, reinstall, etc., etc., until I get it right - or at least working for me.

I have read numerous threads here and elsewhere and there seem to be more than one way to skin a cat.

Thanks in advance.

thefixer ( ) posted Sat, 28 August 2010 at 1:51 AM

All my installs are in the "program folders" that everyone seems to say not to..
It all comes down to the UAC in Windows 7... If you're confident enough around computers to switch it off then the "program folders" issue isn't an issue!!
If the UAC is left on then you will have problems putting them there...apparently..
I wouldn't know, the UAC has been off for me even when I had Vista, which was a bag of spanners compared to windows 7..

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

Larry F ( ) posted Sat, 28 August 2010 at 2:21 AM

You are a wonderful person.  Thank you.  I'm gonna go through it all before Monday afternoon class time.

Thanks again.

thefixer ( ) posted Sat, 28 August 2010 at 2:28 AM

The UAC being "ON" is the "ONLY" reason you wouldn't install to the "program Files"
I purchased Windows 7 when it first came out just to get rid of Vista, from day one all my installs including my Vue installations and Photoshop CS3 and everything else has gone into the "program files" and works without any problems, none of the problems that Joelglaine speaks of for example. I regularly uncompress content and unzip new content into my runtime without a problem..

My UAC of course was switched "OFF" on day one also...

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Sat, 28 August 2010 at 4:07 AM

I had Windows 7 installed for a while but after switching off UAC I did something stupid & killed Windows stone dead. I switched to Ubuntu but found Poser to be unstable under Wine so I'm dual booting that with Windows XP 64, no UAC but I'm more careful about what I click on in Windows now.

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

Larry F ( ) posted Sat, 28 August 2010 at 4:16 AM

Quote - I had Windows 7 installed for a while but after switching off UAC I did something stupid & killed Windows stone dead. I switched to Ubuntu but found Poser to be unstable under Wine so I'm dual booting that with Windows XP 64, no UAC but I'm more careful about what I click on in Windows now.

Hi thefixer and Lucifer_the_Dark!  I have done someTHINGS stupid from time to time and plenty of them at that, but I feel I will be able to refrain from anything resembling "fatal" unless by pure happenstance(?)!  I mean my prep is so cautious with stuff I'm not really familiar with but do know my way around computers to a fairly significant degree, although Windows 7 is completely new to me.  I jumped from XP Home.  My wife has a Vista laptop with a lot of stuff on it, i.e., Photoshop, Illustrator, etc., but no Poser of any kind.  

About UAC, is that more important with multiple users from your point of view?  My new PC is for me ONLY.  There are 6 or 7 other PCs and/or Macs for multiple users but this is only for me, so I'm not worried about other users.  Too much, LOL!

Thanks for the info.  I need all I can get.

Larry F ( ) posted Sat, 28 August 2010 at 4:23 AM

Quote - The UAC being "ON" is the "ONLY" reason you wouldn't install to the "program Files"
I purchased Windows 7 when it first came out

So would I be able to install to other places besides the "program files" (Poser and other programs, but particularly Poser) whatever UAC's status is - on OR off?  

Or is that so obvious I'm missing something, which I often do - seriously.  Gotta get more familiar with Windows 7 - currently going through a lot of videos - Youtube and elsewhere.  Thanks again in advance.

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Sat, 28 August 2010 at 4:35 AM

I thought I knew my way round them too but Windows 7 surprised me, I'd suggest leaving UAC on for a few days & see how you get on with it. The biggest problem I found with installing Poser with UAC switched on was having to wait up to 5 minutes for UAC to think about whether to let me install or not (could just be my machine though) & having to type in a password every time.

Ironic that I switched to Ubuntu that does exactly the same thing in asking for a password to do anything that might be a risk to the OS.

If you've got multiple users on the same machine then keeping UAC running would be a good idea.

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Sat, 28 August 2010 at 4:39 AM

Quote - So would I be able to install to other places besides the "program files" (Poser and other programs, but particularly Poser) whatever UAC's status is - on OR off?  

Or is that so obvious I'm missing something, which I often do - seriously.  Gotta get more familiar with Windows 7 - currently going through a lot of videos - Youtube and elsewhere.  Thanks again in advance.

Poser will install anywhere & run happily, BUT with UAC switched on the "program files" folder is locked & anything that goes in (if it'll go in at all) will end up locked as well, the first time I tried installing Poser into "program files" with UAC on the main program installed fine but the content installers crashed or went part way through installing then gave an error & quit.

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

Larry F ( ) posted Sat, 28 August 2010 at 6:01 AM

Quote -

Poser will install anywhere & run happily, BUT with UAC switched on the "program files" folder is locked & anything that goes in (if it'll go in at all) will end up locked as well, the first time I tried installing Poser into "program files" with UAC on the main program installed fine but the content installers crashed or went part way through installing then gave an error & quit.

A HA!  I just got that very similar revelation after reading some more of previous threads in combination with all the videos I've been watching.  Need to take a break now, though - all starting to run together.

THANK YOU!

santolina-sailor ( ) posted Sat, 28 August 2010 at 8:36 AM

So,Rather than mess about with the UAC controll Ill be alright installing my Poser 7 anywhere ,ideally on the same drive as the operating system,but not in Program files,Yes?????

P

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2010 at 1:39 AM

Quote - So,Rather than mess about with the UAC controll Ill be alright installing my Poser 7 anywhere ,ideally on the same drive as the operating system,but not in Program files,Yes?????

P

Absolutely yes.

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

santolina-sailor ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2010 at 12:05 PM

Thank you all for your imput.

p

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2010 at 2:26 PM

Just to clarify, for a while I had Poser7+8+pro2010 installed to a folder called Poser in the root directory of my C drive.

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2010 at 2:37 PM
Online Now!

The different iterations of Poser are comfortable sitting anywhere else, even on externals.  However, PP 2010 and, IIRC, P8 are very particular about external drive installation.  This has been posted in several threads, but not given tremendous importance given the nature of Vista's and Windows 7 UAC problems.

JOELGLAINE ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2010 at 3:40 PM · edited Sun, 29 August 2010 at 3:42 PM

I barely even HEARD of UAC, and had no clue until I found problems myself!. If I had any ideas I would have installed to a different folder than Program Files!

I'm still trying to find out why I have multiple "My Pictures" folders and why I am prohibited from accessing HALF of them? Of course they screwed it up, they're experts!:laugh:

santolina-sailor ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2010 at 3:47 PM

Quote -  I barely even HEARD of UAC, and had no clue until I found problems myself!. If I had any ideas I would have installed to a different folder than Program Files!

I'm still trying to find out why I have multiple "My Pictures" folders and why I am prohibited from accessing HALF of them? Of course they screwed it up, they're experts!:laugh:

To be honest niether had I,it happens a lot actually when some ones helping us out,Thank heavens for Google:)

p

JOELGLAINE ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2010 at 3:55 PM

You got THAT right! I AM administrator and NO ONE uses my computer but ME, and I can't access some folders that are common. WIndows does everything they can to keep CUSTOMERS (Read myself and all the other suckers who bought their stuff) from buying or using their stuff.

Are they trying to be the British Petroleum of computers?:lol:

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Mon, 30 August 2010 at 4:19 AM · edited Mon, 30 August 2010 at 4:19 AM

UAC comes with 4 settings,

The first one stops you doing anything at all that might endanger the OS without typing in a password & confirming you want to do it.

The second isn't quite so aggressive but still locks everything important & requires a password for installing & un-installing. This is the default setting set by Microsoft.

With the third setting you can install & un-install without typing in your password unless you're accessing the important folders (Program files, Windows), this is the one Microsoft suggest for those users who can't stand typing in a password for every single move they make

The fourth setting is OFF, Microsoft doesn't suggest using this one unless you're either very brave, insane or actually know what you're doing, 99% of ordinary Windows users don't. ;)

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

MtnMist ( ) posted Sun, 12 September 2010 at 1:23 PM

I have a new computer with Windows 7 64 bit (had WinXP).  Installed Poser 7 (twice - Programs 86 didn't act right so I installed it into plain old Programs, which is where it now sits) and began to download previously purchased content to install.  DAZ content installs with NO problem.  Rendo and RDNA content will not.  I am beyond frustrated by this and have never heard of UAC.  Will a complete Poser reinstallation be necessary or should I just blow the entire computer up and feel better for at least a few minutes?  Frustrated doesn't begin to cover this one!   :(((((

JOELGLAINE ( ) posted Sun, 12 September 2010 at 1:38 PM

Install somewhere NOT a "Programs" or "Programs(x86)"! Documents or root of the "C" drive is fine. I installed to my documents like Poser pro 2010 does and have had no problems since. I know your irritation all to well. Been there,done that, and got the "I hate Windows 7" tee-shirt!!  :laugh:

MtnMist ( ) posted Sun, 12 September 2010 at 1:47 PM

Thank you for such a quick reply!  Do I need to uninstall and reinstall or can I just do another install into Documents?  And I can't understand why DAZ content immediately installs but Rendo's will not.  This is compounded because I downloaded content from DAZ first and put it in.  This also explains why the Rendo content on my external hard drive wouldn't install - I thought it got corrupted.  Good to know it's probably not unusable after all.  That at least makes me smile.  :)

JOELGLAINE ( ) posted Sun, 12 September 2010 at 1:53 PM · edited Sun, 12 September 2010 at 1:55 PM

UAC really screws up the installs! I installed to my install in the (x86)Programs and couldn't see them. Unitl I moved it to Documents and goto"Poser7 file>PROPERTIES and unclick "READ-ONLY", then apply, then you should see them magically appear. Windows 7 makes ALL program File folders "READ-ONLY" by default and that screws up the program when we put new content into it all the time. or try to make any changes.

I would uninstall all other copies of Poser so there is one where you can find it, outside of the programs folder.

santolina-sailor ( ) posted Sun, 12 September 2010 at 2:04 PM

With win 7 you need to creaet a folder and call it App put on drive c but out side the program file,
then it works fine.So when your installing Poser 7 and your asked where to insatll you have to describe the route.

P

MtnMist ( ) posted Sun, 12 September 2010 at 2:10 PM

This is so goofy.  I just tried a reinstall and when the 'install to' list comes up, Library, Documents, etc. - none of this is available.  It's pretty much only Programs and Programsx86 offered to choose from.  The rest of the choices are non-starters, even I knew that.  OS list gave no viable choices at all and the rest is the other drives on the computer.  I think I want a tee shirt just like yours.  :(((

MtnMist ( ) posted Sun, 12 September 2010 at 2:15 PM

thanks, santolina - I'm trying that now...

MtnMist ( ) posted Sun, 12 September 2010 at 2:32 PM

WORKED!!!!!!!  Zips are going right in - once again this forum saved my sanity.  :)

Thank you SO much!!!

JOELGLAINE ( ) posted Sun, 12 September 2010 at 2:39 PM

That's what we're here for!:lol:

That and the beer.:laugh:

MtnMist ( ) posted Sun, 12 September 2010 at 2:51 PM

Quote -  That's what we're here for!:lol:

That and the beer.:laugh:

And the tee shirt.  :)

JOELGLAINE ( ) posted Sun, 12 September 2010 at 3:00 PM

The tee-shirt I got on another forum, but you get the idea!:laugh:

santolina-sailor ( ) posted Sun, 12 September 2010 at 3:56 PM

Quote - thanks, santolina - I'm trying that now...

Your welcome,as i was haveing the same issue recently and the forum helped me,Bye the way if you did manage to turn U A C off put it back on again.

p

MtnMist ( ) posted Sun, 12 September 2010 at 4:18 PM

I didn't touch UAC, I'm not that brave.  I simply created an Apps folder in OS and voila - it worked!  :)

santolina-sailor ( ) posted Sun, 12 September 2010 at 4:48 PM

good ,its cool when it actually works again,!

Hawkins-GraFX ( ) posted Mon, 13 September 2010 at 8:28 PM

I've been running Win 7 Pro 64bit for a few weeks and love it.

I upgraded to a AMD 1055T X6 system with 8gb RAM and an ATI 5870. Runs like a bat outta hell.

What is UAC?

I installed Poser 7 into c:ArtPoser 7 without any issues.
It runs pretty well. I'm getting ready to pickup Poser Pro and hope it will run faster.
Carrara 7 Pro runs really fast with the six core processor. It puts all 6 cores to work and renders crazy fast.

Anyway - Can you tell I'm really digg'in Win 7.

So what is the UAC thing?

Clint

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 13 September 2010 at 8:57 PM
Online Now!

"User Account Control (UAC) is a technology and security infrastructure introduced with Microsoft's Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008operating systems, with a more refined*[1] version also present in* Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 . It aims to improve the security of Microsoft Windows by limiting application software to standard user privileges until an administrator authorizes an increase or elevation. In this way, only applications trusted by the user may receive administrative privileges, and malware *should be kept from compromising the operating system. In other words, a user account may have administrator privileges assigned to it, but applications that the user runs do not inherit those privileges unless they are approved beforehand or the user explicitly authorizes it."

*As per Wikipedia.

scott8539 ( ) posted Mon, 13 September 2010 at 9:10 PM

you may already know this but when you right click on your poser shortcut and use run as admin
you can save in any runtime you have insted of just poser content folder.

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Tue, 14 September 2010 at 2:30 AM

UAC is a very useful feature & it works well for the less experienced users, it's just it can be a right royal pain in the backside for those of us who are used to a bit more control over our operating systems.

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

Hawkins-GraFX ( ) posted Tue, 14 September 2010 at 6:44 AM

Hmm...My USC might be turned off.
I havent run into any issues with the OS trying to stuff for me that I dont want it to do.

Thanks for the replies.  :)
Clint

santolina-sailor ( ) posted Tue, 14 September 2010 at 7:58 AM

This maybe usefull,helped me a lot,

How to configure youe UAC settings

http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/windows-7-disable-uac/

p

Hawkins-GraFX ( ) posted Tue, 14 September 2010 at 2:01 PM

Thanks for the link santolina.
I'll check it out.

Clint

Daymond42 ( ) posted Tue, 14 September 2010 at 6:13 PM

Hey Hawkins! Have you found any quirks or anything with that system setup and Poser 7? I ask because I'm getting the AMD 1090T X6 with Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit, and have Poser 7 as well. I'm open to suggestions and tricks, tweaks, and such.. :D

Currently using Poser Pro 2012 (Display Units = feet)

AMD Phenom II 3.2ghz (6 cores)

8gb RAM

Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Hawkins-GraFX ( ) posted Tue, 14 September 2010 at 7:31 PM

Hi Daymond...Oh man!!! That 1090T X6 should be freak'in awesome!!! I looked at them but decided to try and keep the cost down a little so I went with the 1055T X6.

No problems at all man.

LOL - I loaded up Quake 4 the other night. Uncapped the FPS from 63...jacked up the video to 1600x1200 with all the graphics bells and whistles jacked up to the max and was getting 200-400FPS...  LOL.

I know its an older game but holy SHIT batman...

Poser 7 runs pretty well. I'm going to get Poser Pro so I can get true 64bit utilization.

Bryce 6 runs like the pig that it always has been in regards to rendering. Still slow as hell.

Carrara 7 Pro runs like a bat outta hell when rendering. Its pretty cool - It does 6 blocks at a time - I assume each core is rendering a block...and it screams when rendering.

So - Yea man, The system is rock solid and I'm very very pleased.

I had to get a new scanner and a new printer since both of them were old and Cannon and HP didnt offer Win7 drivers for them.

Here is what I have so you can compare:
AMD 1055T X6 2.8GHz
8GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz / 4x2GB
ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024MB GDDR5
Win 7 Pro 64 bit

I hope this helps.
Clint

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.