Mon, Sep 23, 3:30 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 22 10:18 pm)

Subject: I'd like to make a necklace...

3DLoki ( ) posted Sat, 02 October 2010 at 3:50 AM · edited Mon, 23 September 2024 at 3:28 AM

like the title says ;)

I'd like to make a simple gold chain necklace with a "word" as the 'charm' could someone point me on the right path to make this happen?

Is this an easy thing to do (I  have the word, and all the needed files and sizes I could need in .psd format)  

If I (knew who could) had someone make it for me what would I expect to pay?

The necklace should be a stand alone figure (not a prop) that could be conformed to V4 & V4.2 figures.

If you need more info let me know

-Jay-

Plutom ( ) posted Sat, 02 October 2010 at 1:22 PM

Yep, need a little more info:

What other 3D programs do you have besides Poser.

What you would expect to pay:  Perhaps zero depending on how complicated it is.  We would need a sketch of the design eg a simple band, a chain etc.  Jan 

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 02 October 2010 at 1:51 PM

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2712737

This link might get you started. Dr. Geep tried so hard to teach me step-by-step how to make a chain.  I failed miserably!  

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

3DLoki ( ) posted Sat, 02 October 2010 at 4:04 PM

file_459900.jpg

> Quote - Yep, need a little more info: > > What other 3D programs do you have besides Poser. > > What you would expect to pay:  Perhaps zero depending on how complicated it is.  We would need a sketch of the design eg a simple band, a chain etc.  Jan 

I have Zbrush & Blender (granted I can't use either of them lol)

as for the actual design: for the chain itself I'm looking for either a chain like the one from "scrumptious"  OR in a perfect world the necklace would be just like the Playboy necklace (image attached) but th ebunny head would be replaced with my own "charm"

after a bit of a meeting it's also been decided we'd need two different charms for the necklace as well.

-Jay-

markschum ( ) posted Sat, 02 October 2010 at 4:29 PM

The quickest way to do this is to find a free chain for V4 and add your charm to it as a parented prop.

Another way is to make a flat strip that conforms to V4 and make its texture the chain and charm.

The hardest way is to model the chain , you can cheat a lot of its to be conforming.

3DLoki ( ) posted Sat, 02 October 2010 at 4:37 PM

Quote - The quickest way to do this is to find a free chain for V4 and add your charm to it as a parented prop.

Another way is to make a flat strip that conforms to V4 and make its texture the chain and charm.

The hardest way is to model the chain , you can cheat a lot of its to be conforming.

ok,  then the next question is how do I make my charm?  it's text in a custom font

-Jay-

Plutom ( ) posted Sat, 02 October 2010 at 5:16 PM · edited Sat, 02 October 2010 at 5:24 PM

Okay, time to learn ZBrush.  You should have ZBrush 4 (its a freebie upgrade).

We are going to use the animal called Shadowbox.

That is located in your light box (taking up space at the bottom of the canvas).
Double click on shadowbox and wait a couple of seconds for it to appear on the canvas.

You will need a straight heads on back shot, to do that move the cursor outside of the shadow box and move it while having the shift key depressed. Once it is aligned, release the mouse button first then the shift key.

You will also need to click on transp, and ghost on the right shelf right next to the canvas.
Reason:  you don't want the solid part showing just yet- You want a solid shadow and you can't see through that darn part. 

Then adjust your brush size down;  after that, hold down the Ctrl key and with the mouse or tablet pencil draw in the shape of that wabbit, fill it all the way in.  Then deactivate your transp and ghost to check it, if it needs touching up, hold down the Cntrl and Alt key while erasing with the mouse or pencil if necessary.

Then to make the shadow box go away, go to the subtool menu on the right side of the canvas and deactivated shadow box.

Now you got a purdy wabbit that you mayl need to plane down some.  Try the planer.  If its too much, depress Cntrl Z to return to previous state and on the top shelf, reduce the z intensity and try again.

You now have your purdy wabbit.  Try it!  Jan

FrankT ( ) posted Sat, 02 October 2010 at 5:49 PM

ZB might be a bit overkill there :biggrin:

You can convert text to an object in Blender. If the font is in TTF format, you could get someone with a modelling app to convert it for you, shouldn't be too hard

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

Plutom ( ) posted Sat, 02 October 2010 at 6:21 PM

Well, I'm figuring that if one has a $600 program, this would be a great way to start learning ZBrush- with a simple object.  One can learn some simple important keys eg shift, cntrl, Alt, some of the functions on the shelves, how shadow box works etc. Jan

markschum ( ) posted Sat, 02 October 2010 at 6:35 PM

I can make you a simple charm if you can tell me what font and word you want , thats only a few minutes work in modeller.

Learning to do it in zbrush or blender will be of more benefit long term .

3DLoki ( ) posted Sat, 02 October 2010 at 7:56 PM

Quote - Okay, time to learn ZBrush.  You should have ZBrush 4 (its a freebie upgrade).

We are going to use the animal called Shadowbox.

That is located in your light box (taking up space at the bottom of the canvas).
Double click on shadowbox and wait a couple of seconds for it to appear on the canvas.

You will need a straight heads on back shot, to do that move the cursor outside of the shadow box and move it while having the shift key depressed. Once it is aligned, release the mouse button first then the shift key.

You will also need to click on transp, and ghost on the right shelf right next to the canvas.
Reason:  you don't want the solid part showing just yet- You want a solid shadow and you can't see through that darn part. 

Then adjust your brush size down;  after that, hold down the Ctrl key and with the mouse or tablet pencil draw in the shape of that wabbit, fill it all the way in.  Then deactivate your transp and ghost to check it, if it needs touching up, hold down the Cntrl and Alt key while erasing with the mouse or pencil if necessary.

Then to make the shadow box go away, go to the subtool menu on the right side of the canvas and deactivated shadow box.

Now you got a purdy wabbit that you mayl need to plane down some.  Try the planer.  If its too much, depress Cntrl Z to return to previous state and on the top shelf, reduce the z intensity and try again.

You now have your purdy wabbit.  Try it!  Jan

DEFF Saved that for future use,  but the rabbit was only an example ;)   I want my necklace to have the same style of chain, and clasp,  where the rabbit is on it would be replaced with my own charm (the text ones I need)

Thanks for your help though for sure!

-Jay-

3DLoki ( ) posted Sat, 02 October 2010 at 8:02 PM

Quote - I can make you a simple charm if you can tell me what font and word you want , thats only a few minutes work in modeller.

Learning to do it in zbrush or blender will be of more benefit long term .

Problem is it's a custom font,  so the base font would not produce the correct result,  I do however have all sorts of .PSD versions of the 2 text logos in various sizes so that part is not much of a problem I would think.

One last thing,  these would be used for a semi - full commercial project, so If I have it made by someone I'd need full rights to it and the ability to use it in commercial projects.

Long story short,  we're making a 3D Toon digital magazine (like Playboy / Penthouse)  Each month's centerfold will wear a necklace with the brand logo (like playboy/penthouse)  and then each year the centerfold of the year will wear a 2nd brand logo necklace.

-Jay-

3DLoki ( ) posted Sat, 02 October 2010 at 8:05 PM

Quote - Well, I'm figuring that if one has a $600 program, this would be a great way to start learning ZBrush- with a simple object.  One can learn some simple important keys eg shift, cntrl, Alt, some of the functions on the shelves, how shadow box works etc. Jan

True enough,  however (not bragging or complaining lol) I think I have tens of thousands of dollars worth of software and add-ons, and yet I only seem to use Poser and Daz studio 9 times out of 10 lol.

Never got around to rigging or creating my own figures / props I've just made use of textures and Photoshop over the years.

-Jay-

Plutom ( ) posted Sun, 03 October 2010 at 7:26 AM

I can really see your point.   I got my favorites too (ZBrush is not one of them---yet).  Jan

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.