Thu, Sep 19, 6:49 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 6:38 pm)

Subject: Poser Pro 2010 Strange "Not respondings"

dustangelbreak ( ) posted Sun, 19 September 2010 at 9:15 AM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 11:12 AM

I just installed Poser Pro 2010 and it keeps bugging me with strange "Not respondings".

There are 2 conditions that I think causes this problem:

1. when I try to delete a figure
  2. when i conform a figure

When i do one of those actions, my poser will become "not responding" and won't respond no matter how long I wait.

I have updated it to SR1 and I'm sure my GPU driver is up to date. I use windows 7 32bit with NVDIA card.

What should I do? I am really confused.
Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

dustangelbreak ( ) posted Sun, 19 September 2010 at 9:36 AM

Sorry for double-posting, but somehow I cannot edit my post.

After messed up a little bit, I learned that:

1. I can delete a figure sometimes, and sometimes it will turn my poser to a "not responding" state.

2. When I conform a clothing via drag-and-drop (not from Figure>Conform to..) strangely it worked fine.

Other than those strange cases, my Poser Pro 2010 work smoothly and faster than my old P7.

I think maybe this information will help someone. :)

ShaaraMuse3D ( ) posted Sun, 19 September 2010 at 10:56 AM

This happens to me sometimes too, but with different things. Sometimes it happens when I try to change the camera right upon opening a project.

FrankT ( ) posted Sun, 19 September 2010 at 1:21 PM

When you delete something, Poser stores an undo point which can take a while (depending on what it is you are deleting)
Try Shift+Delete which doesn't store the undo point

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

dustangelbreak ( ) posted Sun, 19 September 2010 at 7:40 PM

Quote - When you delete something, Poser stores an undo point which can take a while (depending on what it is you are deleting)
Try Shift+Delete which doesn't store the undo point

I have tried to Shift+Delete  (which poser said it will delete without saving it to undo state. so i assumed that I did it correctly), yet it still lead to another "not responding". I think the undo state was not the cause of the crash.

Any other idea? Thank you!

EugyptuS ( ) posted Mon, 20 September 2010 at 3:09 AM

I too seem to be experiencing the same thing but I have found it to happen whenever a dialog box opens, such as when conforming, saving, deleting, exporting and the like. I still have not figured out why because it does not happen all the time, just whenever it gets a wild hair  ;o)
I think the worse part in my case is that it can happen right in the middle of a session.....one second it's working fine and the next time you open a dialog box......BAM!!!  Not Responding
Very frustrating
I hope this gets sorted soon..............

Darboshanski ( ) posted Mon, 20 September 2010 at 11:11 AM

I am going to take a shot here and say switch from the OpenGL setting to SreeD and see what happens. If you try this please post your findings I'm playing a hunch here.

My Facebook Page

EugyptuS ( ) posted Mon, 20 September 2010 at 11:26 AM

I tried your suggestion but it didn't solve the problem  : (
But here is a new wrinkle I think...........it locked up late last night so I closed it up and went to bed ..........got up this morning and everything was working fine again....so I start a new session and it's all going good then I go to render a pic, and it gets about a third of the way done and ...BAM!!   not responding........ this is the first time it has happened "during" a render it usually just locks up as soon as you click on "ok" in a dialog box.

I hope this additional info is helpful 

Darboshanski ( ) posted Mon, 20 September 2010 at 1:10 PM

It was just a hunch because I had some very odd issues with Poser Pro 2010 but on a windows 7 64-bit machine and the only way my issues were cleared up was to run the program in SreeD instead of OpenGL. It almost sounds like a compatibility issue between Poser Pro 2010 and Windows 7 32-bit. Sometimes lock ups can happen if there isn't enough available RAM to kick it through the task you are doing. I don't know how much RAM you have but bare in mind you could have 6 gigs of RAM but a 32-bit OS isn't going to access all the RAM like a 64-bit OS would...pardon was I am just ranting right now.

Personally I find there are a few bad issues with Poser Pro 2010 that SM most likely couldn't get to happen on their equipment because there are so many different builds of computers and hardware along with operating systems that SM can't account for them all and how they would react. Note how I am giving SM the benefit of doubt. I feel there are still some hidden OpenGL issues with Poser Pro 2010 they just can't seem to debug and it causes problems with some of the operating system but as I said it's just a hunch.

My Facebook Page

dustangelbreak ( ) posted Tue, 21 September 2010 at 7:07 AM

For the OpenGL setting, I have try it a long long time ago :)
Well maybe it's a ram matter problem. I think the best solution is keep bumping this thread until someone post a working solution. I can't make anything if my poser keep it's weird act. :D

Btw thanks for your concern everyone. Your every help is greatly appreciated. :)

EugyptuS ( ) posted Tue, 21 September 2010 at 9:50 AM

well I just tried reinstalling my P8 with the latest updates and it's doing the same thing as PPro. Could this be a 64bit thing? Is anybody running P8 or PPro 2010 32bit having any of these problems???????
This is really getting to be a PITA, all this software and nothing works   : (

EugyptuS ( ) posted Sun, 26 September 2010 at 8:16 PM

OK,
It's been 5 days now, anything new? Has anyone had any luck with this problem?
I now have thousands of dollars worth of poser content and software that is absolutely useless to me. 
Again could it have something to do with the popup dialog box, cause that is when it happens to me. Everything works great UNTIL I have to do something that requires a dialog box and YES it is happening in both Poser 8 and Pro. As a side note my other 3D software works fine. I have no problems with Vue.

Help!
Please

dustangelbreak ( ) posted Mon, 27 September 2010 at 8:01 AM

Well, the best help I can do right now is to keep this thread bumped. Btw why don't you use daz studio for the meantime? I like Daz Studio more than poser (except for it's render. not close to our firefly).

But any help will be appreciated. I missed old days when I can render fluently with my poser.

Dizzi ( ) posted Mon, 27 September 2010 at 10:23 AM

Well, the best thing you can do is contact Smith Micro's support... 

musikman ( ) posted Mon, 27 September 2010 at 11:40 AM · edited Mon, 27 September 2010 at 11:42 AM

Hi, just spotted this thread.

I'm running WinXP 32-bit system, Sapphire Radeon 3850 card 2.5GB RAM.  Ever since I installed PP2010 back in March I've been getting the "not responding" on and off regularly.  Seems to happen if I use the "undo" many times to back out of a sequence of moves, or even sometimes when I've worked on a scene quite a bit and try to close it so I can open a new one without saving the previous changes. Especially happens more frequently when I use PP2010 for any animation, even very short ones.  On my PC it has rarely happened in the middle of a render of a still image, only animation.

I did contact support back when it first was happening, even sent some of the coding that came up on the crashes.  They told me it was probably a video card driver issue, but my card's drivers are up to date. Someone else (not support) told me it could be a video codec issue causing a conflict. Perhaps just one codec it doesn't like.

It is very frustrating, and still happening. Best I can say is that after making a bunch of changes to a scene, give the program a chance to catch up to all the moves before deleting a figure or closing out the scene, as it does seem to happen more often when I'm working fast.

Hope this gets resolved, it is frustrating to say the least.

MM

Darboshanski ( ) posted Mon, 27 September 2010 at 4:05 PM

Quote -   They told me it was probably a video card driver issue, but my card's drivers are up to date.

Yes that is SM's mantra always the Video card driver. One could have a $9,000 dollar Quadro with all the drivers up to date and still SM's answer will always be the video card driver. I've said it before and I'll say it again if it's the darned video card drivers then way does the problems only happen in Poser 8 and Poser Pro 2010 and not Vue, C4D, photoshop and other software???? I've changed hardware, drivers and even a new OS and I still get OpenGL problems only in Poser 8 and in Poser Pro 2010 all other versions of Poser, Vue and Photoshop run like champs. I still say there is some code in these two programs that are not right but I know it's hard for such giants like SM to admit it.

My Facebook Page

musikman ( ) posted Tue, 28 September 2010 at 1:36 PM · edited Tue, 28 September 2010 at 1:38 PM

I get what you're saying PaganArtist. I suppose without having everyone's PC in front of them it would be difficult to diagnose, so they're going with the most likely culprit. But I have to agree with you, all my other programs seem to always run fine with my current setup. I just think if it is in fact an issue with poser itself, they should run some tests at least.  I have some high end music recording software, and I found it surprising that PP2010 has not had any updates or bug fixes posted so far,. My music software support techs usually come out with quite a list of fixes, especially in the first few months of a new version release.

musikman ( ) posted Tue, 28 September 2010 at 6:47 PM · edited Tue, 28 September 2010 at 6:49 PM

Edit: ...oops...Just noticed the mention of SR1, I didn't get any email notification, aren't they supposed to email us??  Guess I should install it, but from what I'm seeing on this thread I probably shouldn't get my hopes too high that it will solve the "not responding" crashes. 

Btw, anyone know if installing SR1 re-sets or changes any of the settings/scripts/libraries I've changed or added?

sturkwurk ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2010 at 10:27 PM

I've had the same problems - my year long fight with this issue has rendered these solutions...

I dont run anything else while poser is running

I keep a backup set of my preferences

when it goes all non responsive - I throw out the preferences - clear out my trash - restart my machine - restart poser - see if it responds when I try to delete a simple prop - if it does - I close poser - put my back preferences in place - and go from there

D

I came, I rendered, I'm still broke.

musikman ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2010 at 11:33 PM · edited Wed, 29 September 2010 at 11:33 PM

I see....well I have done a similar routine except the part about backing up my preferences, they don't seem to be affected by the crash...ie..I don't lose them. 

Now that you mentioned props, I don't use the geometric objects much but one time I did try adding a few to the scene, and I think having the added geometry in there brought the program to its knees a couple of times.

artdude41 ( ) posted Thu, 30 September 2010 at 4:55 AM

just to mirror whats already been said here , I've yet to use both poser 8 and poserpro 2010 .. every time  i do they crash constantly , the stability is probably the worst i've seen in any build of poser . atleast for me and yes they are already patched with the latest service releases ,  strangely enough my old poser pro has rock solid stability and will render just about anything  , hardly crashes and iam not even running  the latest service release .

cspear ( ) posted Thu, 30 September 2010 at 6:18 AM

And as a counterpoint, I've had only a handful of crashes with P8 and PP2010 over the last year or so. They're both entirely stable on my PC. 

Windows 10 x64 Pro - Intel Xeon E5450 @ 3.00GHz (x2)

PoserPro 11 - Units: Metres

Adobe CC 2017

artdude41 ( ) posted Thu, 30 September 2010 at 6:20 AM

what are you pc specs . if you dont mind me asking?

Darboshanski ( ) posted Thu, 30 September 2010 at 8:16 AM

Don't get me wrong I am not bashing SM but for Pete's sake it isn't always YOUR hardware and always THE drivers. People who write these programs are not perfect and do make mistakes and QC people do not catch everything not all PC set ups are equal.

As far as the not responding issues I've yet to have it my problems have been strange camera movements along with strange conforming clothes issues. They look like knots when conformed until I switch camera views back and forth then the clothes look normal. This doesn't happen when I have poser set from OpenGL to SreeD. This tells me it's an OpenGL issue and it doesn't matter if my drivers up to date. Even when the machine has had new hardware, drivers and OS installed and then Poser and Poser Pro 2010 installed fresh I still have these OpenGL issues. I find it hard to swallow it is hardware and driver related.

My Facebook Page

TikiGawd ( ) posted Sun, 10 October 2010 at 11:43 PM · edited Sun, 10 October 2010 at 11:44 PM

I just returned to the Poser world a couple days ago from a ~5 month hiatus. After installing SR3 I encountered problems similar to those mentioned above. Mainly, after opening a scene and rotating the camera a bit, Poser would stop responding and I'd have to kill it. After going through a few hoops in an attempt to fix the problem, I recalled I'd had a similar problem with Poser 7... I checked my rendo forum post history and found my old solution here.

Seems to have fixed my problems so far. Hope this help!.

dustangelbreak ( ) posted Mon, 11 October 2010 at 7:57 AM · edited Mon, 11 October 2010 at 8:06 AM

Quote - I just returned to the Poser world a couple days ago from a ~5 month hiatus. After installing SR3 I encountered problems similar to those mentioned above. Mainly, after opening a scene and rotating the camera a bit, Poser would stop responding and I'd have to kill it. After going through a few hoops in an attempt to fix the problem, I recalled I'd had a similar problem with Poser 7... I checked my rendo forum post history and found my old solution here.

Seems to have fixed my problems so far. Hope this help!.

HELL YEAH! IT DAMN WORKED! Thanks pal! Damn I can't find a +rep button here!

:))))) (Im really happy)

Btw can you explain how it worked?

TikiGawd ( ) posted Mon, 11 October 2010 at 3:25 PM

Awesome! Glad to be of help.

But no, I have no idea how it works, to be honest.

musikman ( ) posted Mon, 11 October 2010 at 6:25 PM · edited Mon, 11 October 2010 at 6:25 PM

This sounds great so far, but I'm wondering if it will work with my setup. I have PP2010 and an older ATI Radeon Sapphire HD 3850 AGP card.  Anyone know if it works with all poser versions and all video cards, or is it just an issue with Nividia?

TikiGawd ( ) posted Mon, 11 October 2010 at 7:12 PM

I'm not sure, musikman, but I'm pretty sure the ATI driver settings should have an application profile system similar to nvidia's. It (probably) couldn't hurt to try, though. I've never owned a modern ATI card, so I can't say for certain.

EugyptuS ( ) posted Mon, 11 October 2010 at 7:43 PM

Hey!!!

It seems to have worked for me too!!!

Thanks!

musikman ( ) posted Mon, 11 October 2010 at 8:40 PM · edited Mon, 11 October 2010 at 8:43 PM

Quote:  The only thing I changed from the global settings was turning the "threaded optimization"  OFF. Turning it ON seemed to preserve stability as well, however, camera tracking was VERY slow and choppy, and my cpu usage never dropped below 50%... Turning it OFF, on the other hand returned poser to it's normal smooth operation.

TikiGawd, When you say global settings, you're referring to the video card's global settings, not Poser, correct?

Not much time to get into it tonight, but I'll have a look at what kind of options I have tomorrow. ATI cards drivers have a Catalyst Control Center, and I know there are some 3D options available. Fingers crossed, hopefully it will work for me too, those crashes really are frustrating.  Thanks again, much appreciate the help.

MM

TikiGawd ( ) posted Mon, 11 October 2010 at 9:33 PM · edited Mon, 11 October 2010 at 9:35 PM

Quote - TikiGawd, When you say global settings, you're referring to the video card's global settings, not Poser, correct?

Actually, I should have said "Program Settings".

Here's a screenshot, in case anyone needs clarification.

DigitalDreamsDS ( ) posted Fri, 15 October 2010 at 11:36 AM

How do i find these settings? I do not have a dedicated graphics card.

DigitalDreamsDS ( ) posted Fri, 15 October 2010 at 12:13 PM

OMG!
Ok, I found the settings for my graphics drive.
I turned Tripple Buffering OFF and anistropic filtering OFF.
AND turned my preview settings to OpenGL - accumulation buffer set to software with hardware shading turned on.

and it seems to be working ok for now.
BTW I have a Pentium Dual Core CPU

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.