Sun, Sep 22, 9:23 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / 3D Modeling

Welcome to the 3D Modeling Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433

3D Modeling F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 22 8:55 pm)

Freeware 3D Modeling Software Links:
Blender | Trimble Sketchup | Wings 3D | Anim8or | Metasequoia | Clara IO (Browser-based 3d modeler)

Check out the
MarketPlace Wishing Well, as a content creator's resource for your next project.

"What 3D Program Should I buy?" Not one person here can really tell you what's best for you, as everyone has their own taste in workflow. Try the demo or learning edition of the program you're interested in, this is the only way to find out which programs you like.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: What are you working on thread

Cybermonk ( ) posted Sat, 09 October 2010 at 6:36 PM

Wicked detail. Nice

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination".

Albert Einstein

DivineRAiN ( ) posted Fri, 15 October 2010 at 9:46 PM

sweet modeling.  Well nothing cool here, but I'm starting to have fun in blender for a change.  

divinerain

Cybermonk ( ) posted Sat, 16 October 2010 at 10:26 AM

Nice figures DivineRain. Wish I could get blender to work like that.

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination".

Albert Einstein

DivineRAiN ( ) posted Sun, 17 October 2010 at 7:03 AM

oh I didn't get blender to work like that... I think this time around I found a little more patience to do things in a way that works for blender.  Started with a cube with some edgeloops, then ripped apart the mesh n extruded edges n merged vertices to get the topology flow I wanted.  Now if I can figure out the shading stuff.

divinerain

ZIKEO ( ) posted Mon, 18 October 2010 at 4:35 PM

file_460496.jpg

Nice work DivineRain. Patience is always a good step forward. :)

Started on a new project with one of my mates to build a Judge Dredd MKII Lawgiver prop.
Based on inspiration from a Jason Brashill (I think) panel in one of the JD/Batman crossovers and some Zikeo input.
Here is the base mesh that I have unwraped in Pepakura to make a card version for my mate to use as a patterns for sculpting.

ANGER. IS THE BEAST WITHIN.

ZIKEO ( ) posted Mon, 18 October 2010 at 4:37 PM

file_460497.jpeg

I have now changed the base model and made new paper patterns and contiued modelling to a higher mesh load. Here is a clay render of the finished 3D model.

ZIKEO ( ) posted Mon, 18 October 2010 at 4:38 PM

file_460498.jpg

And of course a beauty render.

722 ( ) posted Mon, 18 October 2010 at 9:12 PM

Great  looking gun

pauljs75 ( ) posted Wed, 20 October 2010 at 1:59 PM

file_460576.jpg

I've been doing a minor re-do on my ol' Great Lakes freebie for what may be a paid project. I've got to get 'er done before I'll accept payment for the newer release. If successful, this version will first be seen in promotional/demonstration vids on an aerobatic flight and flight-training website.

Essentially it involves an engine change-out with a much more common and contemporary design. The hard part will be re-doing UVs to accommodate the changed pieces (and hopefully w/o breaking the already existing mapped sections.) Should go fast though, the modeling changes are pretty much done already.

Barbequed Pixels?

Your friendly neighborhood Wings3D nut.
Also feel free to browse my freebies at ShareCG.
There might be something worth downloading.

Touchwood ( ) posted Tue, 26 October 2010 at 6:16 PM

file_460789.jpg

Finally decided to contribute to this thread after lurking for a good while.

This is my current project and the first serious attempt at using subsurf.  Modeled and rendered in Blender.

First a top view . . .

Touchwood ( ) posted Tue, 26 October 2010 at 6:17 PM

file_460790.jpg

And the undersides.

ZIKEO ( ) posted Wed, 27 October 2010 at 2:25 AM

Nice aircraft Touchwood. Any chance of seeing some wires?

Touchwood ( ) posted Wed, 27 October 2010 at 1:17 PM

file_460821.jpg

Blender is not good at doing wireframes but this is about as good as I can get at the moment minus the weaponry,

BlackHarmo ( ) posted Sat, 30 October 2010 at 4:24 AM

Smooth and precise shapes Touchwood, good modeling. If I had to nitpick I'd say the mesh seems a unnecessary dense, polycount-wise, but in the end the (nice) result is all that matters.

Touchwood ( ) posted Sat, 30 October 2010 at 8:33 AM · edited Sat, 30 October 2010 at 8:35 AM

Quote - If I had to nitpick I'd say the mesh seems a unnecessary dense, polycount-wise, > Quote - I agree with you and I'm sure that this is due to my inexperience when it comes to modeling with sub-surf as my usual method is to box model.

I still haven't learned how to control the mesh or extrude shapes very well as yet but decided on giving it a go because I couldn't get the 'chin' to look right and because I'll never learn if I don't go out of my comfort zone.

I am sure that the lessons learned on this model will stand me in good stead  on future projects.

ZIKEO ( ) posted Sun, 21 November 2010 at 6:27 AM

file_461945.jpeg

HI Guys. Seams to have gone a bit quiet?

I've started a new model loosely based on the Meadows Frisky

http://www.localhistory.scit.wlv.ac.uk/Museum/Transport/Cars/Frisky.htm

But as a 1950s SciFi Hover Car.

Z

ZIKEO ( ) posted Mon, 22 November 2010 at 10:56 AM

file_461979.jpeg

Cracking through this one quite nicely now.

New update.

Z

50parsecs ( ) posted Mon, 22 November 2010 at 12:08 PM

Delightful little vehicle. I love retro-futuristic models.

ZIKEO ( ) posted Mon, 22 November 2010 at 2:17 PM

file_461985.jpeg

Thanks 50Parsecs.

Last update for today.

I've forgotten some items that I will probably model tomorrow.

ZIKEO ( ) posted Tue, 23 November 2010 at 6:42 AM

file_462003.jpeg

Hi Guys.

Had some trouble sleeping last night. So finished off the Hover Car and started a new model.

The hover car now has a touch screen CRT display.

ZIKEO ( ) posted Tue, 23 November 2010 at 6:45 AM

file_462004.jpg

Just thought about putting some sort of power unit under the hood.

I guess it's not finished afterall.

The model I started and near completed last night is a 1950s style RayGun Water Pistol.

airflamesred ( ) posted Tue, 23 November 2010 at 7:53 AM

file_462006.jpg

Fine retro stuff Zikeo

corinthianscori ( ) posted Fri, 03 December 2010 at 12:56 PM

Hi guys.

It's me! (who?)

Anyway, check this out. It's Wrapit, a rapid retopolgy tool. Its a miracle in any production pipeline! And it has a quad generator that never fails to impress(keeps your UVs too) and its a million times better than Zbrush's Decimation Master(ugh...)

I've used it to bring a 7million poly mesh under 5K without any noticeable degradation in quality. Nice! AND I can work in N-GONS(scream now) and tris without caring, cuz near the end I can just turn the whole mesh into quads in WrapIt! Love this thing.

DO NOT PIRATE THIS PLUGIN! These guys worked too hard on this thing and deserve every penny.

WrapIt

BlackHarmo ( ) posted Sat, 04 December 2010 at 2:24 PM

file_462468.jpg

Hi,

An egg and muffins toaster, modelled in Wings3D, fast render done via Keyshot.

BlackHarmo ( ) posted Mon, 13 December 2010 at 5:19 PM

file_462926.jpg

New project, a Viper from Battlestar Galactica (old school), in Wings 3D.

Just starting here, fuselage, canopy, silhouette of the engine bloc ; still a lot to do.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Mon, 13 December 2010 at 6:09 PM

One of my favorite ships.  Looking good.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

DivineRAiN ( ) posted Fri, 17 December 2010 at 3:55 PM

oh I like that hover car!  Amazing stuff guys.  A little more work was done to my Willow character.

too bad the hair wasn't rigged n modeled better, but in the end I deleted the hair n the clothes. 

(her poor elbows lol)  started the new hair n clothes

still needs work.. things are going thru each other, the coat is too tight and lacks the details I want to add to it.

divinerain

DivineRAiN ( ) posted Fri, 17 December 2010 at 4:11 PM

and lucy.. another character I recently made in blender from a cube.  Her clothes were made from a duplicate of her mesh.  Eyelashes n brows were made from duplicated edges from her mesh, then extruded.  Also the hair, except for the ponytails.

divinerain

airflamesred ( ) posted Mon, 27 December 2010 at 12:48 PM

file_463337.jpg

Nice work everyone

Both laptops stolen just before xmas so doing things from memory (mine that is!)

Working my way through body parts

DivineRAiN ( ) posted Thu, 30 December 2010 at 2:38 AM

jeeze.. what's with ppl.  Sorry about your laptops, that's messed up.  Nice work on the foot so far, watch the little toe tho, it's skinny n tiny compared to the other toes.  Pinky toes are small, but usually not that small.

latest render of lucy

and started another character

divinerain

BlackHarmo ( ) posted Mon, 03 January 2011 at 11:49 AM · edited Mon, 03 January 2011 at 11:50 AM

file_463628.jpg

@Shawn : thanks. While it's not really *my* favorite spacecraft, it's definitely from one of my favorite tv show ;-)

DivineRain : Nicely done. I'm usually not really fond of this cartoonish style, but these are definitely cute.

airflamesred : ouch... at least you're back on steady feet (ahem, sorry)... convincingly I'd say. (btw, I can't recognize the program you're working on?)

Otherwise, here's a small update, as the holidays are finally over I can manage some modeling time again...

airflamesred ( ) posted Fri, 07 January 2011 at 6:20 AM

file_463755.jpg

The wife was away so got quite a bit done. This is just a blinn shader though I have UVs and textures done. Recently swapped from bryce to Terragen for rendering so still trying to get to grips with levels for the spec, bump, reflecive maps. It does produce a fantastic render and not just limited to landcapes as many would think.

@ divine rain - nice character work indeed and you were right about the little toe

@ blackharmo - I always liked the proportions of that ship; nice work. FYI  I use metasequoia for modeling, UVs and texturing

Schurby ( ) posted Fri, 07 January 2011 at 9:47 AM

file_463764.jpg

Have been working on this 1958 Impala since the first part of November whenever time permitted. Made the model in Cinema, then used Bodypaint and Mapper Pro to map it. Did the Figure and the several Prop setups in Poser, and have all the textures for it finished.

I've allways liked this year of the Impala and modeled one about 4yrs ago but my skills at modeling wasn't near as honed in as now so I thought I'd give it another shot and am pleased with the effort.

Schurby

Schurby

ZIKEO ( ) posted Sat, 08 January 2011 at 4:47 AM

file_463793.jpg

Hi Guys

Some Awesome stuff appearing already this year.

I myself have started on a new figure, I've chopped up my old Mea figure and re-meshed her into Julia.

This time I'm going to make a better effort to model more clothes for her.

Z

odf ( ) posted Sat, 08 January 2011 at 5:01 AM

She looks great, ZIKEO. 👍

-- I'm not mad at you, just Westphalian.

ZIKEO ( ) posted Sat, 08 January 2011 at 12:52 PM

file_463800.jpeg

Thanks odf

A little update to todays progress. Some Clothing.

Z

ZIKEO ( ) posted Sat, 08 January 2011 at 12:55 PM

file_463801.jpeg

Oh yeah.

Forgot to mention that the skin textures are Procedural Fractal shaders at the moment.

ZIKEO ( ) posted Sat, 08 January 2011 at 4:01 PM

file_463807.jpg

Hi Guys

The skirt was looking a bit boring, So I've sorted another procedural that I think looks a bit more interesting?

I've also started on DM style footwear for her. Maybe another update tomorrow. If I can stay away from GT5 that is.

Z

ZIKEO ( ) posted Sun, 09 January 2011 at 1:48 PM

file_463829.jpeg

Foot Coverings.

airflamesred ( ) posted Sun, 09 January 2011 at 2:25 PM

Great boots

DivineRAiN ( ) posted Sun, 16 January 2011 at 1:05 AM

great job on your character so far.  

hey Odf, whatcha been up to?

a horse of course

divinerain

DivineRAiN ( ) posted Sun, 16 January 2011 at 2:12 AM

a render of the head

divinerain

ZIKEO ( ) posted Sat, 22 January 2011 at 11:35 AM

file_464388.jpg

Hi Guys.

I've had a request to see the Mea wires.

These are the basically the same wires as I have used for Julia.

ZIKEO ( ) posted Sat, 22 January 2011 at 11:36 AM

file_464389.jpg

And a body shot.

GKDantas ( ) posted Sat, 22 January 2011 at 11:56 AM

fantastic character and mesh Zikeo!

Follow me at euQfiz Digital

odf ( ) posted Sat, 22 January 2011 at 5:31 PM

Nice, clean mesh, ZIKEO!

I would probably put another edge loop or two around the lips to make morphing the mouth easier.

-- I'm not mad at you, just Westphalian.

50parsecs ( ) posted Sat, 22 January 2011 at 5:50 PM

Some fantastic modeling examples in this thread! Great character work by both DivineRain and Zikeo. You guys are inspiring me to try doing some organic and character modeling.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sun, 30 January 2011 at 1:18 AM

file_464620.jpg

A minor update.  Anding the "shed" underneath.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sun, 30 January 2011 at 5:14 AM

file_464623.jpg

Some sort of retro-train I saw a drawing of (no name).  To be used as part of my alternate history theme.  If someone knows who designed this concept, let me know.  I want to contact the artist.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Mon, 31 January 2011 at 3:15 AM · edited Mon, 31 January 2011 at 3:16 AM

file_464660.jpg

Banging up the coal mine building a bit.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.