Sun, Oct 6, 9:15 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Poser hair (from the hair room) in Poser Pro 2010

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Wed, 27 October 2010 at 9:58 PM · edited Sat, 31 August 2024 at 10:06 PM

Hello, I have been trying to render some hair in Poser Pro on the Lycanthropos figure and it renders fine and is actually quicker than in Poser 7 but everything is much thinner and it is whispier than I am used to and I am wondering if there is anything that I can do to make it render more like the one in Poser 7. I don't really use it except on this figure and I am a bit at a loss on how to get it to show like it should. Thanks.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 27 October 2010 at 10:06 PM

If you have render gamma correction enabled, you have to set the gamma on transmaps to 1.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Thu, 28 October 2010 at 8:13 AM

These are not transmapped but strand based from the hair room (with the figure and not created by me).

bopperthijs ( ) posted Thu, 28 October 2010 at 12:23 PM

You'll have to increase the numbers of hair to get better results(about 4 times), it's a bit of work, but the renders of dynamic hair in poser 8 and poser pro are faster and much better than in the older poser versions.

best regards,

Bopper.

-How can you improve things when you don't make mistakes?

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Thu, 28 October 2010 at 12:37 PM

I was afraid of that. Oh well. I guess I am will continue to do it in P7.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 28 October 2010 at 1:16 PM

I don't have P7 to compare and see what you mean that now the hair is more thin/whispy than before. I'm guessing that the interpretation of hair has changed.

Nevertheless, even if the actual value of hair thickness is interpreted differently, it is still adjustable. Have you tried making it thicker?

Another thing that may have changed is the result of "opaque in shadow", an option on the Hair node in the material room. And the notion of what is "in shadow" is probably different than it used to be. Since hair rendering is much faster now, I have to believe the rendering algorithm has changed, which means you may have to adjust things. It could mean there is no way to adjust it to appear the same as it used to be, but I doubt that.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Thu, 28 October 2010 at 2:52 PM

I was almost thinking of dumping some displacement in there to give it more volume but that would be a lot of trouble given the ammount of groups it has. I haven't looked at the in shadow area so I might take a peek at that. Thanks

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 28 October 2010 at 3:21 PM

I don't think displacement applies to hair.

noxiart ( ) posted Thu, 28 October 2010 at 3:47 PM · edited Thu, 28 October 2010 at 3:47 PM

Attached Link: http://renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?message_id=3559731&ebot_calc_page#message_3559731

Disable texture filtering for the textures that are plugged into the dynamic hair.

Cranking root and tip width up a bit won't hurt either.

bopperthijs ( ) posted Thu, 28 October 2010 at 4:02 PM

Textures and dynamic hair?:blink:

I've never seen textures used with dynamic hair.

Bopper.

noxiart ( ) posted Thu, 28 October 2010 at 4:02 PM

file_460855.jpg

Texture filter settings from left to right:

Fast, Quality and None.

bopperthijs ( ) posted Thu, 28 October 2010 at 4:17 PM · edited Thu, 28 October 2010 at 4:17 PM

Ah, I see, That makes sense. I usually use dynamic hair only with human scullcaps, but with furry rodents and other animals I can see why you use a texture. I'm not sure the OP was referring to that. I've used a lot of dynamic hair, most made by Adorana, and I came to same conclusion that poser8 and poserpro2010 make look the hair very thin. I got better results by increasing the hair density of every hairgroup in the hair room. I also experienced that plugging a diffuse shader with a very dark haircolor in the ambient, next to a hair shader in the alternative diffuse shader, give very good results. The rendering of dynamic hair in poser8 and poserpro2010, in a combination with indirect lighting gives better and faster results than transmapped hair.

I only wish poser would have some tools to shape dynamic hair.

best regards,

Bopper.

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Thu, 28 October 2010 at 7:10 PM

I am using it with the Lycanthropos figure so the texture is there, that way it plots what color is being used.

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Thu, 28 October 2010 at 7:12 PM

Thanks for the texture filtering tip, I will look into that too.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.