Wed, Sep 18, 11:05 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: Marvellous Design (software)

infinity10 ( ) posted Tue, 30 November 2010 at 10:52 AM · edited Sun, 15 September 2024 at 7:24 PM

http://www.marvelousdesigner.com/Marvelous/

I just cottoned on to this application which seems to fit what I was looking for - fold up digitalised sewing draft patterns and make 3D meshes for Poser use !

Thanks to Jim Smith, a SketchUp blogger and active user of Sketchup, who pointed it out to me.

At 200 US Dollars+ for a non-commercial license, it's pretty steep for hobby-level use, but then again, has anyone here used it ? Views and opinions, please ?

Also, I recall some years ago, there was a software called Virtual Fashion for Poser.  It seems to have all but disappeared.  What happened to it, anyone know ?

Eternal Hobbyist

PhilC ( ) posted Tue, 30 November 2010 at 11:09 AM

Just scroll to the bottom of that page and you'll see where Virtual Fashion has gone. They are apparently using the same registration method as before whereby you have to be connected to the Internet every time you use the software so that they can check up on you. Their terms and conditions contain paragraphs  indicating the extent of their responsibility should their authorizing server go bye-bye. My interpretation is that basically that's it ...... bye-bye. You are welcome to form your own opinion however.

adroge ( ) posted Tue, 30 November 2010 at 2:09 PM

Having purchased Virtual Fashion, I can say it was a waste because it's so limited, and didn't have a good workflow. Then they tried to nickle and dime (the price was far more than a nickle/dime though) you later on with completely unnecessary add-ons. I would personally stay away from anything associated with Virtual Fashion.

As for the Virtual Fashion software disappearing, I would say that if it were good, it would still be around.

There's also the whole questional business practices of the company... I think if you really want to know more, you can probably find it somewhere on the message board here.

The bottom line for is that I wouldn't even buy it if it was $10.

Irish ( ) posted Tue, 30 November 2010 at 3:15 PM

I too purchased Virtual Fashion Pro and was disappointed in it and their support.  I totally agree with adroge -

:)

TheOwl ( ) posted Tue, 30 November 2010 at 3:35 PM · edited Tue, 30 November 2010 at 3:48 PM

Attached Link: http://www.marvelousdesigner.com/forum/Content.aspx?ForumNo=4&ThreadNo=32

Interesting. They have a way to make clothes for V4.

Would your creations out of this be easily converted into conforming clothing using PhilC's obj2cr2?

Passion is anger and love combined. So if it looks angry, give it some love!

Photopium ( ) posted Tue, 30 November 2010 at 8:05 PM

file_462341.jpg

This is the first time, ever, as far as I can recall, that someone made a multi-platform 3d utility that actually is useful in the world of Poser!

They give a toot for making disposable (so to speak) clothes but you can actually export the obj, tweak the UVs, group the bugger and set it up for conforming. 

I made a conforming tube dress for V4 in about an hour, complete with a full set of Morphs (via morphing clothes)

There is a lot more to learn but I think the curve is going to be fairly manageable.  At the very least, this program will save hours of pushing pixels in max, since you can effortlessly create any basic shape and have it drape naturally.

And this is just the BETA.

infinity10 ( ) posted Wed, 01 December 2010 at 12:49 AM

If I read the website correctly, Marvelous Fashion's personal non-commercial version is a Beta but you have to pay to use it after the trial period ends.

Eternal Hobbyist

FyreSpiryt ( ) posted Wed, 01 December 2010 at 6:21 AM · edited Wed, 01 December 2010 at 6:23 AM

No, they just went gold overnight.  They have plans for more features, but my experience is that the software is pretty stable and works well as is.  (The Waloli dresses in my freestuff were a learning project with Marvelous Designer.)

A Personal non-commercial license is $99, at least until February.

You do NOT have to be connected to the internet every time you use it.  You do have to be connected the first time you fire up, and to switch computers you have to purposely move the license.

I'm pretty sure it is not the same company as the previous Virtual Fashion Pro software.  Google-fu says VF was made by Reyes Infogrfica in Madrid; Marvelous Designer is by CLO Virtual Fashion in Korea.

I really love the program, myself. It has me really excited.

Quote - Would your creations out of this be easily converted into conforming clothing using PhilC's obj2cr2?

Yup, sure is:

That's my latest project using MD, a hybrid dress.  I've clothified the skirt after using PhilC's OBJ2CR2 to make the whole thing conforming.  (That's an awesome utility BTW, Phil.)  (Please ignore the little pokethrough at the waistband; that's my fault.  Was still working on materials went I took this screen cap, too, so the colors are just to show some of the material zones I've put in.) 

One caveat there is that MD's meshes are currently put out as Delaunay triangle mesh, which are beautiful for dynamic but not as good as quads for conforming.  I find the results acceptable for my own uses, but some people really hate that.

mylemonblue ( ) posted Wed, 01 December 2010 at 6:28 AM · edited Wed, 01 December 2010 at 6:31 AM

If I can speak my mind...

I know what it means to have to authenticate with a server over a internet connection just to use or activate a software. No way in farking heck I'd use a software like that.

My brain is just a toy box filled with weird things

WandW ( ) posted Wed, 01 December 2010 at 7:24 AM

It looks like an interesting product, but the big downside, as I read the non-commercial license, is that it appears you are not alowed to distribute the clothing at all, even as freebies...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

infinity10 ( ) posted Wed, 01 December 2010 at 7:29 AM

Blimey, I think Poser gives you the option to register on-line as well...

Eternal Hobbyist

vintorix ( ) posted Wed, 01 December 2010 at 9:53 AM · edited Wed, 01 December 2010 at 10:06 AM

Attached Link: V4 tutorial

Marvellous Design is a dream come true.

As FyreSpiryt said,

1. A Personal non-commercial license is $99 (down from 199)
  2. You do NOT have to be connected to the internet every time you use it (changed from previous version) only once when you install as all other software nowadays.

'Virtual Fashion'. if you don't allow new started companies to make mistakes we can bury the whole capitalistic free market system that have created all welfare in the world..

The combination of Marvellous Design and the cloth module in C4D is a match made in heaven.

If you want to go commercial the price is $699, still cheap IMO.
http://www.marvelousdesigner.com/Marvelous/Product.aspx

FyreSpiryt ( ) posted Wed, 01 December 2010 at 4:26 PM

The personal license does allow you to distribute freebies:

"Allows only for non-commercial purpose. You may distribute your works in any file formats only for non-commercial purpose."

Or direct from the license: "Licensee may sell or distribute their works in any file formats only for non-commercial purpose."

(I'm not sure how you sell something non-commercially. ^_~)

If no one has yet, I was planning to ask on their forum for clarification on renders, whether freebies made with the Personal license have to restrict images made with them to non-commercial or not.

Photopium ( ) posted Wed, 01 December 2010 at 5:20 PM

I don't understand how they can even put that stipulation on it.  The software generates Mesh, it's not proprietary, the software is.  It's not like a Daz Model where they spent a billion hours making a figure, it's flat planes run through a sim.

How can they make any stipulation on what you do with it once you've put your own blood sweat and tears into the output?  Maybe you don't pass around their textures but if I come up with something I like and take it into max and work it into a cr2 they're going to tell me I can't sell it?

Is that "Legal"?  Or is that wishful thinking on their part?

vintorix ( ) posted Wed, 01 December 2010 at 5:55 PM

William_the_Bloody, you are bloody right. I don't know about America that have a broken legal system, but no court in EU would accept it. Besides, once you have worked on it in another 3D modeller no one can see what it is or where it come frome.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Thu, 02 December 2010 at 12:05 AM · edited Thu, 02 December 2010 at 12:05 AM

I still use VirtualFashion Pro 1.5 for making clothes.  Works great with Poser 6, which I still use as well.  The server for VF died quite a while ago.  But VF doesn't need it once installed.  And there are no updates it needs to check for anyway.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

wolf359 ( ) posted Thu, 02 December 2010 at 5:15 AM

They are already planning to support DAZ studio's Dynamic Cloth system with a new plugin

http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=153392&sid=f8fd10ca861a10ec38f4da72fa84e0ab

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

vintorix ( ) posted Thu, 02 December 2010 at 5:35 AM

And also in Posers cloth room.

Finally I can put some clothing on my figures! They don't have to go naked!

vintorix ( ) posted Thu, 02 December 2010 at 5:48 AM · edited Thu, 02 December 2010 at 5:55 AM

learn to sew...hmm

I wish I had been more attentive in the texture-sloyd classes when I was a little boy!

wolf359 ( ) posted Thu, 02 December 2010 at 5:55 AM

"And also in Posers cloth room."

Hi I see no mention of no actual poser cloth room plugin
just that you can use the exported meshes in the cloth room.
they are planning a plugin for cloth animation in DS.

"- To celebrate the launch of Marvelous Designer 2, we are offering the software at a special promotional price of $99. This offer is valid through February, 2011.
- The offer includes a future update with a DAZ dynamic clothing exporter. We are currently developing a plug-in which can animate the clothing in DAZ Studio."

My website

YouTube Channel

vintorix ( ) posted Thu, 02 December 2010 at 6:07 AM

There are no need for a plug in to Poser.  I only meant that it works in Poser too. Right now.

durf ( ) posted Thu, 02 December 2010 at 9:38 AM

Quote - They are apparently using the same registration method as before whereby you have to be connected to the Internet every time you use the software so that they can check up on you....

that's not anymore! no connection to authorizing serve.....

we promised, the authentication way has been changed so that it requires for only one-time license authentication. It asks users for ID and Password just ONCE after installation. After the authentication process is completed you can use Marvelous Designer during the license period without any online authentication process.

http://www.marvelousdesigner.com/forum/news/8/a-new-authentication-way-applied

Irish ( ) posted Thu, 02 December 2010 at 10:15 AM

This may be of interest:

"I understand I can make and give away free models using the personal license. When a third party makes an image using my free model, would they be allowed to sell that image, or do I need to limit usage to non-commercial images only?"

"You should limit the usage to non-commercial images only. All types of derivatives including images or movies must be distributed solely for non-commercial purpose. "

:) 

ice-boy ( ) posted Thu, 02 December 2010 at 12:23 PM

since you will export themesh as an OBJ how would anyone knwo that you used their software?

come on  guys. come on.

there is no way that anyone can get in trouble.

ice-boy ( ) posted Thu, 02 December 2010 at 1:30 PM

is there a way to create the pattern outside this software?

vintorix ( ) posted Thu, 02 December 2010 at 1:44 PM

If it is, I have not discovered it..

ice-boy ( ) posted Thu, 02 December 2010 at 2:32 PM

some are saying that its to expensive .

but i see that a personal license is 99$. this is not a lot.

i see that dynamic poser clothes will become very popular.

bopperthijs ( ) posted Thu, 02 December 2010 at 5:11 PM

I see that dynamic poser clothes will become very popular.

I see it a little different, compaired to poser, draping in marvelous design is a little faster, I think about a 1000 times faster than the poser cloth room, because it's almost realtime, and it has much more features than the poser cloth room like elastic banding and folding. Yesterday I imported an object made in marvelous design in poser and did a simulation in the cloth room and the result was terrible.

The way I see how it's done the best is exporting the model and pose from poser and import it in marvelous design and use it as an avatar with the required pose. Do all the cloth making and simulation in marvelous design, export it and import it in poser, and do the rendering and texturing/shading in poser.

If you're not a vendor, but like to make dynamic clothes for your models like I do, this is really a great application both for poser and DAZ|Studio.

regards,

Bopper.

-How can you improve things when you don't make mistakes?

Photopium ( ) posted Thu, 02 December 2010 at 6:54 PM

This is an early version.  It's not quite ready for prime-time, IMO.

As a Demo, it's amazing.  There's a lot of potential here!  But here are the problems as I see them:

1.  Documentation not ready.  Trial-and-error and watching blurry toots on the net is about as good as you're going to have it for now.  Techniques for certain results remain a mystery.

2.  Symmetry!  At least I think this is a problem.  I would think you'd want to keep your patterns as symmetrical as possible, when necessary

3.  Sluggish interface.  I want to choose a point to move around, it's going to take a full-on moment to get the point I want.  Often times I don't have the point, I have the line, and there you go, several more moments.

4.  Strange "Undo".  Undo doesn't always undo what you want it to. 

5.  Subdivision of Pattern.  Sometimes I start out with a rectangle and want to expand without seams.

6.  Seams should have an option of being realistic.  Trying to find the words...like raised, doubled seams like you might find on blue jeans, on the side of the leg, for example.

7.  More Cloth Presets (Silk, Cotton, Wool are the only ones provided.)

8.  Quad Poly output or an automatic retopo feature which would make nice straight quad rows and columns for neatest possible output. 

9.  If I'm importing for Poser, please do the math for me as far as the scale.  Not a big deal, but easy enough to implement.

10.  Down the road...how about some add ons for finished designs?  Ribbions, Laces, Ringlets, Zippers, Buttons?

11.  Starter Patterns. 

I know, I sound like a talentless Poser user who wants "Make Art" Button but, at the end of the day, isn't that what new software and new technology is all about?   

vintorix ( ) posted Thu, 02 December 2010 at 7:18 PM

William_the_Bloody is right in everthing she says, about symmetry and undo and so on. myself, I would like export and import of patterns. Nevertheless the facts remains, the beta version that we have today is 1000x faster and the result is far better than anything I  seen  on Poser, Daz or for that sake any 3D app whatever. That's not bad. Not bad at all.

wolf359 ( ) posted Thu, 02 December 2010 at 7:39 PM

Male Clothing???

My website

YouTube Channel

ice-boy ( ) posted Fri, 03 December 2010 at 1:24 AM

Quote - I see that dynamic poser clothes will become very popular.

I see it a little different, compaired to poser, draping in marvelous design is a little faster, I think about a 1000 times faster than the poser cloth room, because it's almost realtime, and it has much more features than the poser cloth room like elastic banding and folding. Yesterday I imported an object made in marvelous design in poser and did a simulation in the cloth room and the result was terrible.

The way I see how it's done the best is exporting the model and pose from poser and import it in marvelous design and use it as an avatar with the required pose. Do all the cloth making and simulation in marvelous design, export it and import it in poser, and do the rendering and texturing/shading in poser.

If you're not a vendor, but like to make dynamic clothes for your models like I do, this is really a great application both for poser and DAZ|Studio.

regards,

Bopper.

can you show the result? i am interested.

vintorix ( ) posted Fri, 03 December 2010 at 2:41 AM

If you want to do the simulation in MD, then as Bopper says  the recommended workflow is to export two versions of your model, one in T-position (which is best for designing) and the second one with the required pose.

Then when your finished with the sewing and draping then you import the pose only from the second export.

However when I import the pose, nothing happens, I may be doing something wrong or there may be a bug. I am interested to hear if anyone have succeeded with that. The alternative is to drape the clothes directly on the posed figure.

vintorix ( ) posted Fri, 03 December 2010 at 10:45 AM

The internal Daz unit is 1cm therefore I have my Poser unit to 1cm. That makes things a little easier. But that meant that I had to multiply by 100000 (one hundred thousand) for importing into MD. Now that that is sorted out it is wonderful to see the fast simulations, almost in realtime! You can see how cloth fall off if they are not fastened properly..Also you can import a motion and see the model walking around, in very cool high fashion style.

From Daz you can export out with a scale of 1000% and use the default MD scale of 100% wih import.

Anniebel ( ) posted Fri, 03 December 2010 at 10:01 PM

file_462447.jpg

> Quote - This is an early version.  It's not quite ready for prime-time, IMO. > > As a Demo, it's amazing.  There's a lot of potential here!  But here are the problems as I see them: > > 1.  Documentation not ready.  Trial-and-error and watching blurry toots on the net is about as good as you're going to have it for now.  Techniques for certain results remain a mystery. > > 2.  Symmetry!  At least I *think* this is a problem.  I would think you'd want to keep your patterns as symmetrical as possible, when necessary > > 3.  Sluggish interface.  I want to choose a point to move around, it's going to take a full-on moment to get the point I want.  Often times I don't have the point, I have the line, and there you go, several more moments. > > 4.  Strange "Undo".  Undo doesn't always undo what you want it to.  > > 5.  Subdivision of Pattern.  Sometimes I start out with a rectangle and want to expand without seams. > > 6.  Seams should have an option of being realistic.  Trying to find the words...like raised, doubled seams like you might find on blue jeans, on the side of the leg, for example. > > 7.  More Cloth Presets (Silk, Cotton, Wool are the only ones provided.) > > 8.  Quad Poly output or an automatic retopo feature which would make nice straight quad rows and columns for neatest possible output.  > > 9.  If I'm importing for Poser, please do the math for me as far as the scale.  Not a big deal, but easy enough to implement. > > 10.  Down the road...how about some add ons for finished designs?  Ribbions, Laces, Ringlets, Zippers, Buttons? > > 11.  Starter Patterns.  > > I know, I sound like a talentless Poser user who wants "Make Art" Button but, at the end of the day, isn't that what new software and new technology is all about?   

I have been playing with this programme for the last 2 days, & haven't found a lot of issues you have, to answer some of them.....

1. Documentation - There is a manual you can download, so no problem there. This tut by Ez is by far the best I have come across so far - http://blip.tv/file/4259689

2. Symmetry - just copy & paste the pieces

3. Interface wasn't at all sluggish for me, quite quick in fact.

4. I have used undo only a couple of times, but didn't have these issues.

5. This is the only issue I had. I could not import V4 or get the scale right using Poser. I found it easier to use this tut HERE using the DS settings, then bring the resulting garment back into DS, the export from there for Poser.

6. I thought I saw patterns on their forums, but I could be mistaken.

On the positive side they are very open to suggestion & are open to discussing the commercial render issues, from the DAZ thread......

Quote - ......figured out how urgent it is to decide to allow users to sell the rendered images only with Personal License. Fortunately we still have time to modify the license. Could you visit the thread in our forum (http://www.marvelousdesigner.com/forum/discussion/40/personal-license-clarification) and share your opinions with others, not DAZ users......

This is a skirt I whipped up this morning, took me about 1/2hr-45 mins to make, texturing took longer LOL....

The best & most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen nor touched... but felt in the heart.

Helen Keller

My Gallery                       My Freebies                        My Store

vintorix ( ) posted Sat, 04 December 2010 at 12:00 AM

Anniebel, in a word: Wonderful.

It is just the greases and folds that are doing it, that have been missing before. Those unnatural hard and unbreakable conforming Poser cloth make the figures look like dolls. The pieces look like they are painted on! It is not only ugly but ridiculous. To import from Poser just set the scale to cm i Poser and use a scale of 100000% with import.

Anniebel ( ) posted Sat, 04 December 2010 at 1:18 AM

file_462452.jpg

> Quote - Anniebel, in a word: Wonderful. > > It is just the greases and folds that are doing it, that have been missing before. Those unnatural hard and unbreakable conforming Poser cloth make the figures look like dolls. The pieces look like they are painted on! It is not only ugly but ridiculous. To import from Poser just set the scale to cm i Poser and use a scale of 100000% with import. > >  

Thanks for the tip.

This is this afternoons effort, texture still needs work, & I think I made the sleeves a little short LOL

The best & most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen nor touched... but felt in the heart.

Helen Keller

vintorix ( ) posted Sat, 04 December 2010 at 2:04 AM · edited Sat, 04 December 2010 at 2:05 AM

Anniebel, in one character: "!"

A new Era begins and it is appropirate to start from year zero. Today is January first, year 0 after MD.

ice-boy ( ) posted Sat, 04 December 2010 at 2:54 AM

was anyone able to do pants for M4?

vintorix ( ) posted Sat, 04 December 2010 at 5:45 AM

file_462456.jpg

ice-boy,

I am not ready to anything advanced yet but I can show simple pants!

1. Export Michael as OBJ

2. Export Michael as Collada  to the same directory (to get the texture files).

3. Import to MD with scale 100000%

4. Make pants (with belt to make them stay up).

vintorix ( ) posted Sat, 04 December 2010 at 6:42 AM

Question regarding thickness of cloth.

I examined some cape by Harkonnen and saw that to feign thickness he had placed two meshes in close proximinity. Is that normal? I would prefer to set the thickness in my favorite 3D modeler. (there is a thickness parameter in MD but it only make the creases and fold look right don't actually do anything to the mesh thickness.

Anniebel ( ) posted Sat, 04 December 2010 at 7:38 AM

file_462458.jpg

> Quote - was anyone able to do pants for M4?

Only shorts so far...

Helen Keller

Photopium ( ) posted Sat, 04 December 2010 at 11:22 AM

What's the trick to get pants (or other tube-type things) to stay up?  I know you can turn off gravity, but then you miss certain aspects of draping.

ice-boy ( ) posted Sat, 04 December 2010 at 11:23 AM · edited Sat, 04 December 2010 at 11:23 AM

i was reading somewhere that tha pants were a problem for M4 since the points are not around hes hip and legs?

Anniebel where did you get those good shoes for M4?**

Photopium ( ) posted Sat, 04 December 2010 at 11:25 AM

ice-boy, the points aren't necessary, if it's the ones I'm thinking of.  Further, someone will make a points system for M4 if there isn't one already.

vintorix ( ) posted Sat, 04 December 2010 at 11:33 AM · edited Sat, 04 December 2010 at 11:33 AM

"How to get the pants to stay up"

Just look the video http://blip.tv/file/4259689

Almost at the end of the video he shows how to make the pants stay up. Works exactly the same way with M4. I just tried it.

Almost overnight all daz/Poser cloth are depricated and in need of updating. In the future people will expect a MD file along with the ordinary conforming cloth pack.

vintorix ( ) posted Sat, 04 December 2010 at 11:46 AM · edited Sat, 04 December 2010 at 11:48 AM

Attached Link: 33 free models to learn from:

Don't miss the free stuff..

Photopium ( ) posted Sat, 04 December 2010 at 12:01 PM

That Quick Start Video keeps crapping out at the crucial moment!  Ug.

vintorix ( ) posted Sat, 04 December 2010 at 12:20 PM

file_462464.jpg

Like this,

Photopium ( ) posted Sat, 04 December 2010 at 12:22 PM

Yeah, it's working now.  This is okay when you have something to "hang" the mesh on, like a hip, but what about a thigh?  Is it possible to make stockings?  No matter how much you tighten up the pattern, there's still nothing to hang it on because the leg tapers down at all points.

vintorix ( ) posted Sat, 04 December 2010 at 12:34 PM · edited Sat, 04 December 2010 at 12:36 PM

William_the_Bloody,

You could always use garters, but I suppose that is not always feasible. You cannot expect that this little program will do everthing, for example I have not found a way to make the cloth thicker without my favorite modeling tool. It is something akin to an automatic language transelator. No one expect the program to translate correctly, but for the human translator it is a HUGE time saver.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.