Fri, Sep 20, 12:38 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 6:55 am)

Subject: Install Problem

colorfulsilk ( ) posted Wed, 08 December 2010 at 1:43 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 10:50 AM

Hello All...I have just got a new all in one cpu...it is a gateway...AMD athlon II x2 235e duel core processor 4GB DDR3 memory 640 GB HD...it comes with windowa 7 installed...when I try to install V4 or M4 I get this error message...Error reading INIfile C:/programfiles(x86)/common files/DAZ/dzinstall.ini...can someone please tell me how to fix this install error...I tried to find it here but I cannot...thanks...

colorfulsilk ( ) posted Wed, 08 December 2010 at 1:44 PM

I forgot to add that I use Poser 7...

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 08 December 2010 at 1:47 PM · edited Wed, 08 December 2010 at 1:53 PM

Ack...did you install Poser 7 in the Program Files folder? I realize this would be the logical thing to do, but we're talking about Poser here ;o).

Also, have you tried reinstalling and reinitializing V4.2?

Laurie

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 08 December 2010 at 1:55 PM

Hang on...I reread your post...lol.

Might you be using the installer for DS rather than the Poser installer?? ;)

Laurie

bantha ( ) posted Wed, 08 December 2010 at 2:53 PM

I would assume that you have a problem with WIndows's security system. Normal programs may not write into the program folder. To avoid further problems, deinstall Poser and install it in another folder - not in one of the programms folders. Then everything should work, IMHO.

A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for.
Sail out to sea and do new things.
-"Amazing Grace" Hopper

Avatar image of me done by Chidori

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 08 December 2010 at 2:58 PM

I recall reading something about this particular problem - that some Daz installers mistakenly expect that particular file to exist already instead of creating it the first time.

Users with new machines (like yourself) encounter it more often than somebody who has already installed other Daz content in the past. For example, anybody who already had V3 never had this problem installing V4, because the V3 installer created the file in question.

As far as I know, the missing file has nothing important in it - just some info about what's been installed in the past. What purpose it serves is unclear, but I remember that if you create a blank, empty file with the right name, and then run the Daz installer again, it will work.

The file you need to create is:

C:/programfiles(x86)/common files/DAZ/dzinstall.ini

If the folders don't exist, make them first. Then make an empty text file with notepad with the name dzinstall.ini.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 08 December 2010 at 3:34 PM · edited Wed, 08 December 2010 at 3:34 PM

Those Daz installers sure do make things easy....not....lol. Thank your lucky stars you weren't installing V4 to PoserPro ;o).

Laurie

colorfulsilk ( ) posted Wed, 08 December 2010 at 3:43 PM

Thank you all for your suggestions...@ LaurieA I have installed the poser version...@ bantha I always install on my external HD... @ bagginsbill the file has been ceated and I used notepad as you suggested and I'm still getting the same error message...I'm about to pull my hair out...ugh...

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 08 December 2010 at 3:51 PM

Hmm...

At what point in the install process did you get this error? Was it after most of the installation went thru?

If you try to install M4 or V4 to any runtime other than the main Poser runtime, you'll have problems.

Laurie

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 08 December 2010 at 4:02 PM

Quote - Thank you all for your suggestions...@ LaurieA I have installed the poser version...@ bantha I always install on my external HD... @ bagginsbill the file has been ceated and I used notepad as you suggested and I'm still getting the same error message...I'm about to pull my hair out...ugh...

Just to be sure, check this. Many users never change the default behavior of Windows which is to not show you the whole file name. They hide the extension if it's for a well known file type. There is the possibility that you actually saved the file as dzinstall.ini.txt but you can't see that in the file explorer.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

colorfulsilk ( ) posted Wed, 08 December 2010 at 4:12 PM

It works now...yayyy...thanks again ya'll are the best...

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 08 December 2010 at 4:49 PM

Please tell what fixed it, so we can link to this thread in the future.

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 08 December 2010 at 5:16 PM

Confusius say: Always turn on file extensions ;o).

Laurie

KageRyu ( ) posted Wed, 08 December 2010 at 7:23 PM

I occasionally get this error when installing content on my older machine across the networked drive. I have, when it has come up, just hit the ok utton and allowed the installer to continue anyway.  The only effect I noticed was I had to manually input the path to Poser's runtime, and when the installer finished it would repeat the error and would not show the typical Daz3D readme's.  All content seemed to be installed fine though.  Though I have not had that happen with the V4s (I have a different problem with some of the G4 figure installers entirely that prevent the installers from proceeding - it seems to be the newer installers are not able to recover from errors as easily).

The New HD Toaster from Wamco toasts bread more evenly and acurately than Standard Toasters. Take advantage of the FULL resolution of your bread and try one today, because if your toast isn't in High Definition, you are not getting the most of your toast!

edgeverse ( ) posted Thu, 09 December 2010 at 3:07 PM

Very interesting thread, glad I stopped to read it.

3D Digital Comics & Art/My homepage
http://www.edgeversemedia.com

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.