Sun, Oct 6, 12:26 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 26 4:27 pm)

Subject: OT - Elder Scrolls V - Skyrim

Rich_Potter ( ) posted Mon, 17 January 2011 at 2:14 PM · edited Wed, 02 October 2024 at 10:44 PM

Attached Link: http://www.gameinformer.com/games/the_elder_scrolls_v_skyrim/b/xbox360/archive/2011/01/17/the-technology-behind-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim.aspx?PostPageIndex=1

Im assuming most of the people here who are into gaming have heard that the latest episode of the elder scrolls is coming in novmeber of this year.

However, today was the first screen of the world which we (definately I) will be staring at for several months.

Its from the same people who made Fallout 3 (bethesda) but they are using an entirely new engine, and if this is how the final product will be, we can expect magic.

Lets hope the story is as good as the other titles they have had.

Rich.

Rich

http://blog.richard-potter.co.uk

silverblade33 ( ) posted Mon, 17 January 2011 at 4:59 PM

it's the AI, as a Dungeon Master, I find most impressive if they get it right :)

living, breathing places full of folk doing "folky things"  are vital to make a world come alive!

Alas, Morrowind put me right off the series and I didn't "care" for Oblivion like I should have, sigh, just lacked...something 

started with Elder Scrolls Arena, right at the beginning, found it's varied ethnic/national flavoured cities etc wonderful,for back then it was indeed, amazing! :)

"I'd rather be a Fool who believes in Dragons, Than a King who believes in Nothing!" www.silverblades-suitcase.com
Free tutorials, Vue & Bryce materials, Bryce Skies, models, D&D items, stories.
Tutorials on Poser imports to Vue/Bryce, Postwork, Vue rendering/lighting, etc etc!

Rich_Potter ( ) posted Mon, 17 January 2011 at 5:16 PM

unfortunately i never got to play arena or daggerfall, well i tried recently, but it made me rather motion sick after about 2 minutes :D

Morrowind was rather difficult to play, and the variety of species in teh wild was extreeeeeeeemely limited, but i fell in love with oblivion straight away.

Was the first time I bought a proper computer for myself too and really gave me that "WHOAAAAAAA!" from as soon as you leave the first dungeon, and contiuous excitement of "holy crap! when i turn the light reflects off my sword differently!" and "I CAN SEE THE TOWER FROM ALL TEH WAY OVER HERE!" hehe.

I think know what you mean about the "lacking something" though, it can feel a bit.... flat... in parts, i dont know how, i think its the way people move and interact or something.   The talk of a dynamic world excites me, i always got annoyed at oblivion that you could pick up something in someones house by accident and you would be attacked by literally everyone even if it was just a blackcurrant or something, also that if you stole everythign of value in someones house, they didnt become poor or buy more stuff etc.

Well i hope they do bring out something incredible...

Rich

Monsoon ( ) posted Tue, 18 January 2011 at 4:31 AM

I can't wait. Played Oblivion twice, Fallout 3 with all the addons and just finished 111 hours in New Vegas. Sandbox gaming is my favorite type. Bring it on!

Dale B ( ) posted Tue, 18 January 2011 at 5:24 AM

If you aren't a graphics junkie, go to bethsoft's site and get the free downloads of Arena and Daggerfall, then run them throught DosBox (unless you can find the ones that have it already configured). Talk about sandboxes.....

And if they manage to pull off the Radiant AI, the Havok Behavior, and Radiant Story as described, this will be a new high bar in CRPG's. I also want to see how the new engine looks. Actual snowfall and accumulation...? That suggests that the code level tech and power are now there for at least some of the weather and environmental effects that we've been dreaming of for Vue (ha ha, relevant post... :P ).

Paloth ( ) posted Thu, 20 January 2011 at 1:31 AM

I can't wait. Er...actually I can wait. What choice do I have?

New Vegas was something of a mess. On the PC version, the game crashed literally over 100 times before I had finished and a new video card didn't solve the problem. I hope Bethesda works out the bugs in Skyrim before it is released.

Download my free stuff here: http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php?page=2&userid=323368

CobraEye ( ) posted Thu, 20 January 2011 at 5:41 PM

It crashes on the ps3 too.  I thought the Elder Scrolls was over with Oblivion but this is the best news of the day.  Yay!

Rich_Potter ( ) posted Thu, 20 January 2011 at 5:49 PM

From what ive seen, if they kill the series, they will destroy their fanbase.

You start as a prisoner again apparently, hehe is this a tradition now, or just the easiest way to start?  Did this happen in arena, daggerfall anyone who played?

Rich

CobraEye ( ) posted Thu, 20 January 2011 at 7:53 PM

I love starting as a prisoner.  It reminds me of Steinbeck novel, Grapes of Wrath.  I hope they bring back the Fly/Levitate spell.  This and the Witcher are some of the best games to look forward too. 

The download on the Bethesda Blog for Daggerfall is dead. I started with Morrowind but heard Daggerfall was the best in the series.

Fallout 3 New Vegas is good game but the storyline was bland making it hard to play a second time.  Still debating wether to sell it or play again.

Dale B ( ) posted Fri, 21 January 2011 at 4:45 AM

You can find the download link on uesp.net. And it should be the one with Dosbox preconfigured.....

Dale B ( ) posted Fri, 21 January 2011 at 4:50 AM · edited Fri, 21 January 2011 at 4:51 AM

Arena: You start in the Imperial dungeon, having been tossed there by Jagar Tharn, Imperial Battlemage, who has banished the true emperor and is impersonating him. Daggerfall: You start in a dungeon on the coast of Hammerfell, the ship you were in having been magically sunk. You are a friend of the emperor, and are doing him a couple of tasks. Battlespire: You find yourself trapped in the Battlespire, the training ground of the battlemages, and have to fight your way out. Redguard: Can't really remember; been too long since I could get this one to play. Morrowind: You get off the prison ship to Vaarnenfell. Oblivion: Imperial dungeon as the emperor flees to his fated death. And they usually start in a prison, as it makes a nice, contained tutorial that gets you started, but isn't hand holding about it....

CobraEye ( ) posted Fri, 21 January 2011 at 12:35 PM

Dale, thanks for that info.  Can't wait to play Daggerfall on HD TV from the pc.  What nostolgia.

silverblade33 ( ) posted Fri, 21 January 2011 at 5:25 PM

I remember waiting over night in shops in Daggerfall to steal daedric armour, lol

"I'd rather be a Fool who believes in Dragons, Than a King who believes in Nothing!" www.silverblades-suitcase.com
Free tutorials, Vue & Bryce materials, Bryce Skies, models, D&D items, stories.
Tutorials on Poser imports to Vue/Bryce, Postwork, Vue rendering/lighting, etc etc!

CobraEye ( ) posted Fri, 21 January 2011 at 6:32 PM · edited Fri, 21 January 2011 at 6:33 PM

I did that in Morrowind, too.  Good times. 

Dale B ( ) posted Fri, 21 January 2011 at 6:34 PM

Heh.

I prefer the Rusty Ogre Lodge cheat to get my daedric goodies. That Daedric katana sure does come in handy... The money's nice, but being able to beat on something and not have your sword wear out and break in mid whackery is so niiiiiice....

And have you seen the work being done on DaggerXL? This is a recreation of the actual game executable, to run on modern hardware. The project is still alpha state (version .190), but already it is incredible! Actual light flare from the torches, a different terrain algorithm, so you get actual rolling hills out of the original displacement map for the terrain. A viewing distance that is...considerably more than original. Others have gotten into the act, and there is a tandem retexturing project to recreate the art resources accurately, but at higher resolutions, and a music project to recreate the whole Daggerfall music file with better MIDI implementation (and the way Lucius is coding the DaggerXL .exe, those things are going to be available as options). The project requires the original Daggerfall resources, and at least as of now, Bethesda has given its obliviousness to the project. You can find it by googling DaggerXL. No idea how long it will take Lucius to finish it, but when he does, you'll even be able to -add- onto the game world. And it will be open source.

Lotta daggerfools wanting to get their hands on this one.....

Rids ( ) posted Fri, 21 January 2011 at 9:45 PM

I hate to think how many hours I have spent playing Bethesda games,  considering I have already put more than 600 hours into Fallout: New Vegas the total must be more than a couple of thousand. For me the magic comes from the "user mods", some of which are incredible. New Vegas started off unstable for me too but after adding the 3GB+ mod, sorting my load order out and using FNVEdit to create a merged patch I very rarely have a crash.

I'm really looking forward to Skyrim but I do have worries about the new engine being less "modable". 

Dale B ( ) posted Sat, 22 January 2011 at 4:56 AM

They've already announced that they -will- release the mod tools for Skyrim. The question is how long it will take someone to come up with import/export tools for the meshes, and they are not using Gamebryo tech this go around. Also some question about adding new animations, as the system they have now combines Radiant AI, Radiant Story, Havok Physics and Havok Behavior to control and drive things....and Behavior is a new module, and Skyrim looks to be the first major game using it. Take a peek at Havok's website to see what we may be in store for. Behavior looks like a cross between Character Studio and Massive......

Think about it.......

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.