Thu, Sep 19, 4:05 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Freestuff

Welcome to the Freestuff Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, RedPhantom, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Freestuff F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 17 4:48 pm)

Welcome to the Freestuff Forum. The Freestuff Forum is intended for all  freestuff related postings within our community. This is a highlight area where our membership is invited to review, announce and give feedback in greater detail on various freestuff items offered.  Members can also post wishes of freestuff items they would like to see.

Notice: Links to offsite 'For Sale' items will be removed

Renderosity Free Stuff Area

Free Stuff Gallery

Free Stuff Guidelines

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: External Hosting of Freebies: Is there a solution?

GaryChildress ( ) posted Wed, 02 February 2011 at 7:46 AM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 10:43 AM

As a consumer of 3D freebies I can certainly see the advantage in Renderosity's policy of no longer allowing uploads to feature external download links. It is frustrating when you find just the right freebie only to discover that the creator's external link doesn't work anymore.

However, as a creator of some 3D freebies, myself, I also see the advantage in being able to advertise your own web site on renderosity via the freebie uploads area. I recently signed up with ShareCG where I can actually make a few skimpy bucks on my freebies, only to find out that I can't post links to my ShareCG freebies in the renderosity freebie section.

I can see both sides of the issue. My question is, is there a compromise or a solution that will satisfy both consumer and producer? I mean, I spend hours creating this stuff only to give it away for free. Granted, it is a labor of love, however, I would love to be able to make a few extra bucks on my labor. Who can't use a few extra bucks in this crappy economy?

I would like to hear the opinions of others, especially if anyone can think of a solution to this dilemma.

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Please visit My 3D Freebies

Thank you for your patronage!

StaceyG ( ) posted Wed, 02 February 2011 at 9:30 AM

StaceyG has moved this thread from the Community Center forum to the Freestuff forum as of Wednesday, February 2, 2011 9:30 am.

EnglishBob ( ) posted Wed, 02 February 2011 at 9:31 AM · edited Wed, 02 February 2011 at 9:33 AM

I see you signed the petition - that's been running for 17 months now, which probably goes most of the way to answering your question.

The only alternative on this site is to post in the freestuff forum, which has the disadvantages of not being so easily searchable, and that your posts disappear from view after a while. Only a minority of the members seem to know it's there, as well.

Edit: I forgot - and you can add links in your signature, as I have...

GaryChildress ( ) posted Wed, 02 February 2011 at 8:54 PM

OK. Next question, how do I create links like you have in your sig. My sig has the link spelled out in long form. I just want the link to be titled: "My Freestuff".

GaryChildress ( ) posted Wed, 02 February 2011 at 9:30 PM

Never mind. I seem to have it figured out.

It seems pretty pointless to post in the Renderosity freestuff forum. No one will be able to find my stuff. My only alternative seems to be to use ShareCG as my exclusive host. Renderosity generates probably 3 times as many "hits" and downloads as ShareCG, however, if I'm not getting anything out of it, then it is counter productive to feature my stuff on Renderosity instead of forcing the consumer to visit ShareCG in order to get it.

:(

cschell ( ) posted Thu, 03 February 2011 at 1:18 AM

and that was everyone elses cheif complaint as well... why look here in the forums when you can just click the big giant "freebie" button on the top of the homepage...

i use sharecg as my main site for my freestuff... i still post there when i put out new things... but i'm just not getting the traffic i used to when i could post it here in the free stuff area... rendo gets lots out of having everything hosted here... and that over-all is the point... wether we all like it or not they'll do what they feel needs done in order to maximize their profits and traffic...

many solutions have been offered up over the last 17 months since the policy shift and new format... but it really hasn't gone anywhere... and honestly probably won't... from a pure business standpoint why should rendo do anything other than what they have...

SteveJax ( ) posted Thu, 03 February 2011 at 5:09 PM · edited Thu, 03 February 2011 at 5:14 PM

You can still link to your shareCG items from your Freebie Descriptions here and request that users go that route, but there's no guarantee that users will go the extra mile just so you can make a pittance off of them viewing your freebies over there. Also, I reccommend that you put the link to your ShareCG portfolio in your signature and when posting about a new freebie upload here, reccommend that users check out your portfolio while they wait for Rendo to approve your freebie! There's no rule against that.... yet.

PS - I've also noticed quite a LOT of people who host their own freebies are posting external links to them here again and the moderators appear not to be noticing this.

AnnieD ( ) posted Thu, 03 February 2011 at 5:21 PM

I believe it is ok to post external links to your freebies in the forums...

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.”

[Stuart Chase]

mertext ( ) posted Thu, 03 February 2011 at 11:32 PM

If you want to make a few extra bucks, consider putting something in the Marketplace.

aka MCDLabs
also known as Daniel Merrill a grumpy old disabled Jarhead.
checkout my freebies at
https://www.sharecg.com/pf/full_uploads.php?pf_user_name=mcdlabs

GaryChildress ( ) posted Fri, 04 February 2011 at 4:14 PM

Quote - If you want to make a few extra bucks, consider putting something in the Marketplace.

I don't consider my stuff good enough to charge people directly for it. That's why I like the idea of ShareCG which shares advertising revenue basically. People get what they want for free and I may get a nickel here and there in the process. Not much but a nickel is better than nothing.

SteveJax ( ) posted Fri, 04 February 2011 at 10:59 PM

Actually if a nickle is all the views you get, you'll never see it. They only cut checks of $25 or more and those are PayPal electronic ones even.

GaryChildress ( ) posted Sun, 06 February 2011 at 2:01 PM

Quote - Actually if a nickle is all the views you get, you'll never see it. They only cut checks of $25 or more and those are PayPal electronic ones even.

If I'm not mistaken the money you earn rolls over to the next month so that if you only get $5 per month you basically need to wait 5 months before you get a check. That's OK with me. I'll probably end up buying something at Renderosity with it.

One question I have which I haven't been able to find an answer to is how many visits or whatever do you need to get in order to get X amount of dollars? How many hits translates into 1 dollar for instance? Is there a going rate? Right now when I look at my account statistics my tally is a bit over 1000 visits on my combined items for February so far, however, the account screen doesn't tell me anything about how that translates into $. Does anyone happen to know the answer?

Thanks.

SteveJax ( ) posted Mon, 07 February 2011 at 2:28 AM

You'll see a dollar amount posted about the 3rd day of the following month for the preceding month. And yes, the amount does roll over. I was only going with your "Nickle" scenario. :tt2: So far I've been averaging about $3.50 a month on my freebies which means a check probably twice a year if and only if the views remain consistant. I expect they taper off after a while unless you have a constant flow of new freebies.

cschell ( ) posted Tue, 08 February 2011 at 11:40 AM

i think it works out to about .002 cents per veiw... give or take a bit...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.