Sun, Oct 6, 7:38 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 29 9:32 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Another Weird C8 issue...

sparrownightmare ( ) posted Thu, 10 June 2010 at 9:12 PM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 5:05 AM

Okay.  This happened a few days back and I thought it was probably an isolated incident, but it happened again twice today and I am starting to get worried...

I was working on my current project, a simple scifi scene in C8 Pro, and I had to just let it sit for a while so I could have dinner etc.  So I minimized it and left.  A few hours later I restored it from the taskbar and was about to resume work on it.  But...  I immediately noticed that I could no longer access certain commands.  Minor stuff like Save and Save as.  that kind of thing.  I also could not select anything from the sidebar icons.  When I would hover my mouse over them, it changes to an open hand icon and would do nothing.  I closed the program and restarted it and there was no change.  Last time I had to reboot the system to get it working again.  Has anyone else had this problem.  I seem to still be able to save using the Kbd. shortcut but the mouse pointer is totally useless.  About 90% of my menu and icon commands are like this and I can't insert modify or otherwise manipulate any of my scene elements.

illkirch ( ) posted Fri, 11 June 2010 at 6:41 AM

Had a similar problem with C7pro after watching streaming movies.

Antaran ( ) posted Fri, 11 June 2010 at 11:22 PM

When the cursor is stuck on open hand, there is a workaround to get it working again: press space. Works well for me after streaming video causes the open hand to get stuck.

I don't know whether it will fix the was-just-left-minimized issue.

I had a couple of times when the menu options like save/open/close/etc. were grayed out and I could not save (using keyboard or anything else). So far it seems to have been just a couple of isolated incidents when my system was due for a reboot based on another app activity, but this could be a very serious issue if it comes back.

bwtr ( ) posted Sat, 12 June 2010 at 12:13 AM

Daz are working to refix the very faulty C8 Beta "fix" update--guess it will be next week.
Brian

bwtr

sparrownightmare ( ) posted Sat, 12 June 2010 at 9:15 AM

Good.  This bug is driving me... well... buggy...

DocMatter ( ) posted Sun, 13 June 2010 at 9:55 PM

It's happened to me, too!  Glad to know there's a workaround and that they're working on it.

ThrommArcadia ( ) posted Wed, 26 January 2011 at 12:39 PM

I want to point out that here we are half a year later and this problem still exsists. I've run into it in every iteration of Carrara since version 5. Each time I had to reboot.

I just ran into it again (I have the latest C8 Pro) and so I decided to search the forums here. Interesting that illkirch should mention the watch video part... I was just watching a bunch of Mark's tutorials... not streaming, but from a CD, but still.

Anyway, thanks for the space bar work-around, it seems to have solved the issue.

Antaran ( ) posted Wed, 26 January 2011 at 3:29 PM

Just to be absolutely fair, I've had the open-hand cursor get stuck in other apps too when videos were played (just the apps that do have the open hand cursor for scrolling and such), so I'm not entirely sure it's Carrara's issue really.

thaliagoo ( ) posted Fri, 04 February 2011 at 1:31 AM

Happens to me all the time. I minimize and I unminimize and it goes back to normal. It only happens in Carrara for me.

Kixum ( ) posted Fri, 04 February 2011 at 11:53 PM

There are just some bugs we seem to live with. For example, the wires function inthe shader room has been broken for many many years and we still don't have it fixed. Fortunately, we have work arounds by using other shader functions and plugins.

-Kix

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Sat, 05 February 2011 at 11:18 AM

Kix, what function of wires is not working for you?

Kixum ( ) posted Sat, 05 February 2011 at 12:33 PM

It's a bug which has been known for a LONG time (I think all the way back to C1). The latest manifestation of it is a little different. Obviously whatever memory clobbering is going on is now changed due to the latest 64 bit compile. So the most recent experience I've had with it is putting it into the mixing channel, hitting the grayscale button and then you're messed up. The button partially disappears and you can't switch it back. Other manifestations of it have been issues with he pattern of the wires not rendering correctly. I used wires in the pool edge for my render of all the smily faces swimming in the big pool and it never really worked correctly. In addition, other users have emailed me about it with similar problems. According to some, it's been reported at Daz but I haven't personally checked.

-Kix

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Mon, 07 February 2011 at 8:02 AM

Kix, on the wires issue, can you please provide some steps to follow for the bug? Everything I've tried on my system is working correctly. 

Mark

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Mon, 07 February 2011 at 11:57 AM

file_465023.jpg

I've been playing with the Wires generator for a bit this morning with no weirdness. Attached is the kind of shaders that I usually use Wires to build. 

Kixum ( ) posted Mon, 07 February 2011 at 2:13 PM

I'm on vacation at the moment but I'll be back to my machine and Carrara next week. I encountered this issue as recently as the holidays when working on the Syar Destroyer.

-Kix

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.