Tue, Sep 24, 1:25 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 24 12:33 pm)

Subject: Poser Pro 2010 runtimes

drkfetyshnyghts ( ) posted Sun, 13 February 2011 at 7:03 AM · edited Tue, 24 September 2024 at 1:21 PM

As subject.  Is it me, or is installing runtimes into Poser libraries more complicated than it needs to be?  Unzip a package which creates a "runtime" folder. That then can be brought in via PP2010 file system.  But unzip and try to install other packages which also name their folders "runtime" and PP210 point blank refuses saying that "it is already installed" or words to that effect. By which I think it means that a folder called "runtime" has already been installed which it has. Just not the same one!  If you try to rename the folder named "runtime" to something else then once again PP2010 refuses because it doesn't recognise the changed folder name as a runtime. DUH!    So does this reallly mean we are reduced to installing files individually? Although how one would do that I dont know.  Surely with a huge program that relies on the accurate placement of so many files and variables, there is an 'easy' way to manage files?

Its probably me... no, its almost definitely me, and I have a feeling someone here will just have a simple solution, but it does escape me, honest it does.

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 13 February 2011 at 7:14 AM
Online Now!

On a PC, you can overwrite the runtime folder with a new, accurately structured runtime without loss of Poser content.  The action will only add the new content.  However, on a MAC, the folder is complete overwritten and replaced.  Unless there has been a change in MAC OS recently, under these instances it would be better to unzip into a temporary folder than move the content individually.

drkfetyshnyghts ( ) posted Sun, 13 February 2011 at 7:22 AM

Quote - On a PC, you can overwrite the runtime folder with a new, accurately structured runtime without loss of Poser content.  The action will only add the new content.  However, on a MAC, the folder is complete overwritten and replaced.  Unless there has been a change in MAC OS recently, under these instances it would be better to unzip into a temporary folder than move the content individually.

UHHHHHH I was affraid you were going to say that!

LaurieA ( ) posted Sun, 13 February 2011 at 7:47 AM · edited Sun, 13 February 2011 at 7:48 AM

Wait just a minute...just wait....lol.

If you are running a Mac with OSX then you should be able to APPEND your folder. What that means is that it will write new new info to that folder, but it will write it IN ADDITION to what is already there. If you overwrite the folder it will REPLACE everything that's in it. IIRC, Mac OSX now gives the option to APPEND or overwrite rather than just replacing everything.

Laurie

drkfetyshnyghts ( ) posted Sun, 13 February 2011 at 7:55 AM

Quote - Wait just a minute...just wait....lol.

If you are running a Mac with OSX then you should be able to APPEND your folder. What that means is that it will write new new info to that folder, but it will write it IN ADDITION to what is already there. If you overwrite the folder it will REPLACE everything that's in it. IIRC, Mac OSX now gives the option to APPEND or overwrite rather than just replacing everything.

Laurie

See, I KNEW there was a reason I opted for the darkside!  But at risk of looking even more stupid... none of the options you mention have popped up at all. Is that from within PP2010 or, just using the Mac OS X system? Sorry.. this is prolly all stuff you cracked yonks ago.

LaurieA ( ) posted Sun, 13 February 2011 at 8:00 AM · edited Sun, 13 February 2011 at 8:00 AM

have you looked at your OSX user manual? I don't have a Mac sitting in front of me. Only a PC. I used to work on a Mac at my last job. I know for a fact you can append a folder. But how escapes me. You'll have to read your manual or wait until a Mac user comes along. I just didn't want you to think it was impossible...lol.

Laurie

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 13 February 2011 at 8:19 AM

I am a relatively new Mac user (just a few months) and have searched for but not found any evidence that this is possible on a Mac via the built-in finder. There is a command line utility that will do it, ditto, but that sort of thing isn't for everybody.

I did find this free tool, but haven't tried it.

http://mac.softpedia.com/get/System-Utilities/Folder-Merge.shtml

Just a note to clarify this for new users: Poser does not install content for you. You're expected to manage files yourself, via whatever OS-supplied or add-on tool your personality and budget demand.

Poser let's you activate an external runtime library by "adding" it in the Poser library GUI. But it must already exist.

Poser does provide one mechanism to automate the install-merge of a zip file. It's in the "Content" room, but it only installs to the pre-built "Downloads" runtime library. It does not ask you where you want the stuff to go. I have no idea why.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

LaurieA ( ) posted Sun, 13 February 2011 at 8:25 AM

Ok, then something of that nature must have already been installed on my work Mac and looked seamless to me. Sorry bout that.

This, though, begs another question: why CAN'T a Mac merge folders yet (and after all these years too...lol)

Laurie

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 13 February 2011 at 8:31 AM
Online Now!

PhilC does have a free utility for both OS flavors here:

http://www.philc.net/unzip.php

Any questions can be directed to him.  He does frequent the forum often.

drkfetyshnyghts ( ) posted Sun, 13 February 2011 at 9:12 AM

Yeah y'know I didn't think there was a way through Mac OS X. I'm using 10.6.6 which is the very latest release and I have been using OSX sincersince 10.1 but never seen an "append folder" option.  Besides I didn;t fancy getting out the manual.. yuch! :)  But might give this utility a try though, looks almost too good to be true !!! Hope its not.  Thanks for your help guys n girls.

nruddock ( ) posted Sun, 13 February 2011 at 10:23 AM

Attached Link: http://www.ilike.co.nz/SoftwareDev/dittoGUI.html

> Quote - This, though, begs another question: why CAN'T a Mac merge folders yet (and after all these years too...lol)

The problem is only with the drag and drop in Finder, merging is quite possible using the command line. The utility usually mentioned to solve the problem for those that need a GUI, is "dittoGUI" (see attached link).

jerr3d ( ) posted Sun, 13 February 2011 at 10:48 AM

In the old days, 1990's, :p  ...  Mac's could not work with zips (actually they could, but you had to have a special app to open them).  Mac files were "zipped" via .sit files (which would not work on a PC lol)

OS X DAZ installers will install the files for you, or you can opt for a custom install and have them go to whatever folder you want. Most of the stuff you buy from merchants as zip files can be unzipped but you have to deal with them as previously mentioned above.

Now here's some fun stuff for older Mac users. If you previously bought DAZ products under OS 9 and are running a new Mac that does not support the older Mac systems, you will not be able to even open the old DAZ installers.  Yeah you have to go run the installer on an older Mac and then copy the files over to the new Mac. Ok, some of the more popular files have had their installers updated by DAZ to work in OS X, but not all of them. 

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.