Sat, Jul 20, 12:12 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jul 07 9:32 pm)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Can I Safely Come Home to Cararra on the Mac?

sfdex ( ) posted Wed, 16 February 2011 at 11:53 AM · edited Sat, 20 July 2024 at 9:20 AM

Hi, all --

Old-timers here may remember me; I used to frequent this forum quite a bit five or ten years ago.  Seems like lots of the old gang are still here, which is good to see.

I kind of stopped using Cararra a few years ago, particularly after upgrading to C7Pro which was an absolute disaster on my Mac Pro.  (Not a whimpy machine -- 8 cores, 8 gig of ram; you know, a pretty major system.)  C7P would crash, freeze, and otherwise ruin my day.

I have played with other 3D applications and always find myself longing for the interface and workflow of Cararra, but fearing Daz's unwillingness to really support the Mac.

So, can anyone tell me, did they ever get C7P stable on the Mac?  And now I see there's a C8P.  Can someone give me an honest appraisal of how it works on the Mac?  I'd really love to come home, but I can't if the software just isn't up to snuff.

Thanks!
Dex

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Wed, 16 February 2011 at 12:04 PM

Hi Dex, nice to see you again. 

The latest release seems to be pretty solid. There have been some excellent speed gains for rendering on 64 bit boxes. The .151 release (holy cow, still a beta RC patch to C8) is stable for me. The initial release of C8 had some issues for both PC and Mac. However, the .151 is ok. 

I'd recommend it. I just can't believe that we are - this - far after the C8 release and an official patch is still forthcoming. Can't accuse DAZ of rushing on this one. DAZ makes me cry in pain sometimes.

When C4D and modo release an upgrade, it's ready to go. Vue, however, was THE worst offender of it's mac audience until v9 came out. Man, I did a tutorial series for Vue 8 and had to have a special section on how to work around the many, many bugs. V9 is stable though.

But I digress....

Mark

sfdex ( ) posted Wed, 16 February 2011 at 1:23 PM

Thanks for the response, Mark. Good to see you're still here, and still using Cararra. So the .151 release hasn't really been officially released yet? So, if I bought C8P today, I'd still not have a stable release for Mac? Or am I misunderstanding you? I've been looking around the Daz site and see that there are still a number of ways that Mac is treated as second class. Things like collada export "support for the MAC OS will follow," and the fact that the Mac AfterEffects export is only good on AE6.5. (CS5 is version 10, isn't it? 6.5? Really?) Forgive me if I sound unconvinced. Really, have they stepped up to actually support Mac, or are we still the unloved stepchild? Can you hear my pain from years of abuse and neglect? ;^)

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Wed, 16 February 2011 at 2:10 PM

If you get C8, the patch becomes available to download or you simply get the patched version. Can't say for sure, but the most current version is available. 

Can't really comment on the AE integration other than not many CG packages have a direct AE export function that I work with. Others seem to favor .fbx or .dae anyhow.

For Carrara it's just best to export with multi-pass layers and use those since Carrara's .fbx and .dae is a little wonky. Syntheyes integration with Carrara is fantastic. 

sfdex ( ) posted Wed, 16 February 2011 at 2:28 PM

Cool. Thanks Mark. In the words of my former governor, "I'll be back." :D

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.