Mon, Sep 23, 2:25 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 23 2:16 pm)

Subject: Norma map?

Zev0 ( ) posted Fri, 04 March 2011 at 12:59 AM · edited Mon, 23 September 2024 at 2:25 PM

file_466272.jpg

I came across a 3d object which had the following texture layers. Alpha, bump, colour, displacement, normal, specular. What is this "normal" layer used for? I have come across quite a few models (not poser) that has this layer in its setup? Also can poser use it? where would it go in the material room? What does it do? here is an example of what one looks like...

My Renderosity Store

Fugazi1968 ( ) posted Fri, 04 March 2011 at 1:29 AM

It's a height map, like a bump or displacement map.  I'm sure someone who knows more than me will give you the technical details :).

They have not been used in Poser for very long, as far as I know only Poser Pro 2010 can use them properly.

They are used alot in games to give details to a model.

John

Fugazi (without the aid of a safety net)

https://www.facebook.com/Fugazi3D

Zev0 ( ) posted Fri, 04 March 2011 at 1:43 AM

Cool thanks. hmmm...I have poserpro2010, so If anybody can metion if there is any benefits of using this over or with the existing textering methods please spill the beans lol.

My Renderosity Store

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 04 March 2011 at 7:56 AM

Bump and normal essentially are identical in terms of the outcome.

Bump is adjustable, normal is not. If you think being forced to adjust bump strength is a pain in the arse, then normal is better. If you think being not allowed to adjust bump strength is a pain in the arse, then bump is better.

Normal is a tiny bit faster than bump. On my machine, rendering around 500 thousand pixels of some surface, the normal mapped one will be 1 second less render time.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

SteveJax ( ) posted Fri, 04 March 2011 at 8:00 AM · edited Fri, 04 March 2011 at 8:01 AM

What channel do you attach a Normal to in PP2010? The bump channel?

PS - Who's Norma and why does she need a Map? (I couldn't resist!) :tt2:

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 04 March 2011 at 8:05 AM

The Gradient Bump and then use the pull-down to activate Normal Map tangent space.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

Fugazi1968 ( ) posted Fri, 04 March 2011 at 8:08 AM

Quote - What channel do you attach a Normal to in PP2010? The bump channel?

PS - Who's Norma and why does she need a Map? (I couldn't resist!) :tt2:

You plug it into the gradientbump channel, then switch mode to Normal (whichever Normal type map you are using).  As I remember the options are Tangent Space or Object Space (might be World Space), depending on the type of Normal Map you have generated.

John

PS. Norma needs a map because she is the long lost continent formerly known as Pangea, now found to be named Norma after some complicated pictograms were decrypted from some wall somewhere.

Fugazi (without the aid of a safety net)

https://www.facebook.com/Fugazi3D

SteveJax ( ) posted Fri, 04 March 2011 at 8:34 AM

LOL! Thank you both! I wasn't aware of that feature in PP2010. Now all I need are Norma's Maps so I can test it out!

hborre ( ) posted Fri, 04 March 2011 at 9:22 AM

There are several programs and plugins which are designed to create normals.  And there are several tutorials available on the web detailing how to maximize the effects.  Free plugins exist for both Phototshop and GIMP, IIRC NVIDIA offers the free plugin for Photoshop, GIMP has it's own.

Medzinatar ( ) posted Fri, 04 March 2011 at 11:06 AM

Option to use Normal map started with the first Poser Pro (it was not in P7).

PixPlant is good program to make the normal map

lkendall ( ) posted Fri, 04 March 2011 at 1:42 PM

OOOOH, off to Google for the GIMP plugin. Its hard to beat free. Thanks for the heads up.

lmk

Probably edited for spelling, grammer, punctuation, or typos.

Zev0 ( ) posted Sat, 05 March 2011 at 1:56 AM

I'm using crazybump demo. It creates a batch of bump, displacement, specular, normal etc from your imported image.

My Renderosity Store

billy-home ( ) posted Sat, 05 March 2011 at 9:05 AM

There's a much cheaper program called ShadeMaster Pro which does the same thing as CrazyBump, I think there's also a free version as well, but I think that one doesn't have a GUI, I think its a command line one, can't remember right now

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.