Fri, Oct 4, 2:23 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 04 8:39 am)

Subject: Dynamic clothes *Headdesk*

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Thu, 17 March 2011 at 10:31 AM · edited Fri, 04 October 2024 at 12:23 PM

I like some of what dynamic clothes can do but why does the process have to be so painful? Most of the time the things end up as crumpled masses, with other clothes inside that shouldn't be, piles on the floor, etc. Forget trying to do multiple things (which is mostly what I am trying to do). It has potential but six versions later, it still just has potential.

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 17 March 2011 at 11:10 AM · edited Thu, 17 March 2011 at 11:10 AM

Whatcha trying to do? :o) Are you using a converted conformer?

Laurie

markschum ( ) posted Thu, 17 March 2011 at 11:32 AM

Load figure, load cloth item, adjust for minimum pokethru, set cloth simulation, set a few vertices at the top of the dress to (I forget) so they stop on collision , set figure as collision target, run simulation, take a bow , repeat.

If you are layering clothing either set the other cloth item as a collision target as well as the figure (or instead of) and run another simulation, or increase the collision offset  a little bit.

It can be difficult but theres often a way.

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Thu, 17 March 2011 at 12:05 PM

I am trying to do some Japanese illustrations with kimonos, etc. Using dynamic cloth from Hisayen (sp). They come in a lot of pieces and seem to pass through each other, etc. I have never had much luck with dynamic clothes though I know it is user error. It just doesn't seem to work, even if it is meant to be dynamic.

Fugazi1968 ( ) posted Thu, 17 March 2011 at 12:08 PM

While the Clith Room can seem a tricky beast it actually works quite well.  I do get the odd crumpled on the floor issue but mostly its fine.

As for multiple cloth sims I have a rule on those.  While you can or could put more than one dynamic item in the same simulation, I find that problematic.  Each item gets it's own simulation, in a very specific order.  For a layered outfit do the lower layers first, then the upper layers.  For example if you were using a tshirt and a shirt, simulate the tshirt first, then the shirt.

Poke through is something of an issue, while it does not always cause a problem it is best to assume that it will.  If you have any poke through it is best to fix it before running any simulation.  If you have PPro2010 then the morph tool is your friend here.

A few other thoughts.

Never collide with hair, that will ruin your day.

Fingers are too mesh dense, don't collide with hands.  My advice is to make a hand mitten and collide with that.

Getting Poke through? make collision offset higher

Mess around in simulation settings with the collision types, try the polygon ones instead of the vertex options.  It often helps when your figure and cloth mesh are significantly different.

Hope that helps

John

Fugazi (without the aid of a safety net)

https://www.facebook.com/Fugazi3D

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Thu, 17 March 2011 at 1:20 PM

file_466880.jpg

Here is bascially what I am doing. I load up everything, parent the things that are supossed to be parented. Conform the conformers. Add emaciated morph in frame 1, add the pose in frame 30. I make the bottoms into one dynamic set, colide with the hips, thighs and shins. I then run the simulation.

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Thu, 17 March 2011 at 1:23 PM

file_466881.jpg

I then make the top into the dynamic set, run that simulation, colliding against the chest, waist, arms, shoulders, the bottoms and the waist thing. Somehow the waist thing sinks into the top by frame 5 and then it is always sunk after that. This is a fairly common problem for me when I am using things that are supposed to be dynamic.

Fugazi1968 ( ) posted Thu, 17 March 2011 at 5:13 PM

Make the waist thing part of the dynamic item and then add it to the soft decorated group :) that will help with that bit.

John

shuy ( ) posted Thu, 17 March 2011 at 5:31 PM
  1. Problem is not with waist but with Thumb. I do not recognize figure which you use, but most poser figures has "Thumb1" there. Add it to collide against list.

2. Belt usually is checked as a soft decorated group. Anyway I think in this case should be constrained. You should add to constrained group kimono under belt as well. Easier to do in wireframe mode.

Belt should not be 2 sided or (if you use belt similar to torus) normals should have the same direction inside and outside - in pose window open grouping tool, chose polygons inside belt and "reverse group normals"

1. Tunic on breast look too loose. Maybe you can try scale figure 90 => 100% in first frames.

2. Skirt looks very low poly.

3. Tie is part of cloth which cen destroy simulation. I have no idea what kind of group can be used as a tie. Scarf can behave weird colliding against it. I'm not sure, but scarf looks like 2 sided mesh. It is hard to simulate.

Fugazi1968 ( ) posted Thu, 17 March 2011 at 5:36 PM

You are right about constraining the belt, a much better idea :)

Quote - 1. Problem is not with waist but with Thumb. I do not recognize figure which you use, but most poser figures has "Thumb1" there. Add it to collide against list.

1. Belt usually is checked as a soft decorated group. Anyway I think in this case should be constrained. You should add to constrained group kimono under belt as well. Easier to do in wireframe mode.

Belt should not be 2 sided or (if you use belt similar to torus) normals should have the same direction inside and outside - in pose window open grouping tool, chose polygons inside belt and "reverse group normals"

1. Tunic on breast look too loose. Maybe you can try scale figure 90 => 100% in first frames.

2. Skirt looks very low poly.

3. Tie is part of cloth which cen destroy simulation. I have no idea what kind of group can be used as a tie. Scarf can behave weird colliding against it. I'm not sure, but scarf looks like 2 sided mesh. It is hard to simulate.

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Thu, 17 March 2011 at 5:43 PM

The waist thing is a figure (and it normally is in most cases where I am running the simulation).

The thumb is such a small part of the problem that I wasn't even concerned.

The breasts are unfortunate on these but not the worst of the problems since I plan on doing a pile of photoshopping.

It is mostly the waist issue with the cloth going through the belt/obi and then getting only caught on the string.

Sadly, I have no clue how to do contrained groups on most things. I also hate wasting the time on it because more than half the time the sim will have to be deleted and started over so that is another of my issues with it.

shuy ( ) posted Thu, 17 March 2011 at 6:03 PM

file_466893.jpg

> Quote - Sadly, I have no clue how to do contrained groups on most things. I also hate wasting the time on it because more than half the time the sim will have to be deleted and started over so that is another of my issues with it.

Grouping tool is most important parto of Poser which should be changed in Poser 9 IMO. It is terrible. Anyway creating correct groups in mesh is very important part of creating dynamic cloth. I prefer creating group in pose room.

I'll try to explain what I would do with similar cloth.

1. Create belt group in mesh. I guess that you already did it, but just in case... Should looks like pict.

shuy ( ) posted Thu, 17 March 2011 at 6:05 PM

file_466894.jpg

2. Use magnet to move belt outside shirt. You can choose group in MagZone property window. (sorry if I'm writing obvious things, but many isers do not know about it)

shuy ( ) posted Thu, 17 March 2011 at 6:12 PM

file_466897.jpg

3. In cloth room choose "Edit Constrained Group".

Add belt group (groups created in pose room have [P] extension but works well) and manually add verticles which are under belt.

1. In pose room set magnet value = 0 and start simulation.

shuy ( ) posted Thu, 17 March 2011 at 6:20 PM

file_466898.jpg

If your belt is made of torus you should "reverse group normal" inside or just delete this part of mesh.

I have no cloth with this kind of elt but on pict you can see torus. Selected polygons should have reversed normals.

shuy ( ) posted Thu, 17 March 2011 at 6:28 PM

At the end I just noticed, that he best solution here would be creating dynamic clothing figure not prop.

If you convert your prop to figure all mesh should be one body part. I think abdomen. This part of cloth. Belt should be choreographed group instead constrained, rest should be dynamic.

Best bone donnor is figure which you use. If there is too many morphs, delete all bones except abdomen, hip and chest. They are neccesery to bend choreographed group.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.