Tue, Oct 1, 9:28 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 01 3:49 pm)

Subject: OT: My dad messed up and wants me to fix it...HELP

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sat, 19 March 2011 at 5:44 PM · edited Tue, 01 October 2024 at 9:25 PM
Site Admin Online Now!

He clicked on a link and I think he has a virus now. He has no anti-virus protection because he uses yahoo mail and that he says has its own. I told him that was not enough, obviously.  Usually with viruses I format my computer and start fresh but I'd rather not do that with his computer because if I don't get everything back just the the way my folks had it, I'll never hear the end of it. They won't bitch, but whine. If I can't fix it there will be no peace because it's brand new. I really don't know how to fix it. Can anyone give me any suggestions? 

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

geep ( ) posted Sat, 19 March 2011 at 5:55 PM · edited Sat, 19 March 2011 at 5:57 PM

Attached Link: Free Trials HERE

F-Secure offers a broad range of PC and internet security products made for your home or business, so you will always be protected. Our internet security, antivirus and anti-spyware software is trusted by more than 180 internet service providers around the world. Moreover, with 16 global offices and a presence within more than 100 countries, F-Secure is sure to be there for you and your security software needs.

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

Rance01 ( ) posted Sat, 19 March 2011 at 5:57 PM

You might just try doing a system restore.  Without knowing what virus you might have picked up it's kind of hard to make a determination.

Look for a recent restore point and try that.

Best Wishes,
Rªnce

geep ( ) posted Sat, 19 March 2011 at 5:58 PM

Attached Link: Free online scanner

😄

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

mrsparky ( ) posted Sat, 19 March 2011 at 6:01 PM

Download and run AVG or Avast to check for viruses. Either is good

Also get Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware for check for other nasties.

Spybot search and destroy is another good choice.

All these are free, just make sure to download them from their offical sites.

BTW - leave them on the machine and run them at least once a month, because email is one of the most common ways for a machine to catch a cold.

Pinky - you left the lens cap of your mind on again.

Rance01 ( ) posted Sat, 19 March 2011 at 6:02 PM · edited Sat, 19 March 2011 at 6:05 PM

Attached Link: http://www.surfright.nl/en/hitmanpro

PS: Hitman Pro once helped me get a co-worker out of a jam.  I was about to give up and the office had already decided to get 'professional help' - who was simply going to do a wipe and re-install.  Tried Hitman Pro before bringing the machine in to the shop and it did the trick.

I believe the first scan is free.

Again, Best Wishes,
R

edit: better link directly to the Surfright Website

markschum ( ) posted Sat, 19 March 2011 at 6:02 PM

avg has a free virus scanner and guard.

http://free.avg.com/us-en/homepage

basicwiz ( ) posted Sat, 19 March 2011 at 6:07 PM

Get Antimaleware from malbytes. 

Boot the computer to safe mode.

Install and run it.

Boot the computer to regular mode.

Run it again.

Install either AVG or Avast and run that scan.

99% of the time this cleans one out.

mrsparky ( ) posted Sat, 19 March 2011 at 6:10 PM · edited Sat, 19 March 2011 at 6:12 PM

You might just try doing a system restore.

If it's just a system glitch and not a nasty then yes thats a good idea. However if you have a virus, then theres a good chance it was also infect system restore points. The W32 families and the infamous fake "security tool" malware are very good at doing that.

It can also mean that when you restart the pc, you'll also restart the nasty. The important thing here any genuine virus infection, is to 1st stop the virus processes from running before attempting a disinfection.

basicwiz - oh yes thats a great tool I use that and rkill all the time to remove that fake "security tool" malware. Can usually clean up a machine within 20 minutes.   

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sat, 19 March 2011 at 6:43 PM
Site Admin Online Now!

My dad said that he's not able to get online so I'm gonna have to use a thumb drive. how on windows 7 can i stop it from writting to the drive so that gets infected too?

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

onnetz ( ) posted Sat, 19 March 2011 at 6:51 PM

Boot to safemode with networking and see if you can get online then.

Many people seem to recommend avg but I've had many things get past it or it not even acknowledge some bugs. Only thing I use now is the free version of Avast. 

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.

If you can't eat it or play with it,

just pee on it and walk away. :-)

I wouldnt have to manage my anger

if people would manage their stupidity......

mrsparky ( ) posted Sat, 19 March 2011 at 7:10 PM

OK what you need to do is get online using another machine.

Download avast and malware bytes. Unlike avg (which is usually a small stub installer) the avast download should have enough files to scan and kill.

Stick both on a thumb drive. Then like onnetz said get into safe mode, then run the malware bytes and avast installers. If you can't run either app in safemode, rename the malwarebytes installer to iexplore.exe then repeat that with the avast installer. They should now install.

If safemode gets you online, update both anti-nasty apps, if not cancel any dialogues that say update and scan anyway. Either way once you get online make sure to update your security apps. Also make sure to turn on the windows firewall as well.

Finally once you're clean. LEAVE the security apps on that pc, scan regulary and keep them updated regulary.

lmckenzie ( ) posted Sat, 19 March 2011 at 9:25 PM

Attached Link: LSPFix

If the problem with connecting persists after all else seems to be fixed, you might try LSPFix. Sometimes things install themselves in the chain of 'stuff' needed to connect or corrupt it. LSPFix (another is called WinsockFix) has helped me on a couple of occasions.

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sat, 19 March 2011 at 9:38 PM
Site Admin Online Now!

Thanks for all that advice. I won't be going to his house to try anything until tomorrow, but I'll follow some of your suggestions. And maybe I'll show him this thread too. If I"ve told him once I've told him 100 time to get an antivirus. Told him about a year to get it for his last computer. Maybe seeing all of you saying he needs it and that he needs to update and run it he'll get the message. Otherwise I might have to "forget" again how to do any maintanance. (he kept asking me to change things and then complain because it was different. "Gee, Dad, sorry I can't put an icon in your desktop. I don't know where your desktop is.")

Winterclaw ( ) posted Sat, 19 March 2011 at 10:15 PM · edited Sat, 19 March 2011 at 10:20 PM

So if he's the one who didn't follow your advice about the antivirus, shouldn't he be able to fix his own PC?

^ retorhical question.

For now you can download one of those free avs and hope that one of them work.  maybe it'll work, but make sure he changes his passwords in case he's got a trojan.  Also, one thing to hold prevent future viruses (not 100% though) is to have an admin user only for installing things and a normal user account for going online and doing things.  As long as he isn't logged in as an admin, he might have a better chance of not getting another virus. 

If you have to do a system restore, did your parents remember to make a restore disk as PC makers are so cheap these days?  If not, you'll have to call the manufacturer and hope they can send you a disk.

And try to make sure he gets something like kaspersky or one of the good ones (but not norton).

WARK!

Thus Spoketh Winterclaw: a blog about a Winterclaw who speaks from time to time.

(using Poser Pro 2014 SR3, on 64 bit Win 7, poser units are inches.)

pakled ( ) posted Sun, 20 March 2011 at 12:02 AM

one thing you may run into; some anti-virus programs will point out other anti-virus programs as 'malware'. Yahoo has as many holes in it as a colander (IMHO...;)

Another check is something called Hijack This! Yup, it's actually named that. It's a good tool, but best if you know what you're doing.

There used to be anti-malware sites out there (I used Computer Cops), but in some twisted logic, the bad guys actually scared the good guys off the web...go figure...

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Sun, 20 March 2011 at 4:47 AM

If all else fails, wipe Windows off & put Linux in it's place.

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sun, 20 March 2011 at 6:48 AM
Site Admin Online Now!

Winterclaw: I wish he could. He's had a PC for decades and he gets worse and worse with the thing as the years go by. Another decade and I swear he'll be baiting traps to catch a new mouse. Make a restore disk? HA! That would involve him doing maintanace.

Pakled: I have heard of that before. I may try it, but I'll have to remove or hide it if it's that touchy. They might run it just to see what it does.

Lucifer the dark: Oh God No! They'd never learn it. I'm surprised they've handled moving through the various versions of Windows as well as they have. My mom once said she couldn't use my computer because my theme was different than my dad's. It was a different color so it must work different.  

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Sun, 20 March 2011 at 7:42 AM

Are you my brother cause they sound exactly like my parents? hahahaha Last year I tidied up their desktop by auto arranging the icons & my dad went spare accusing me of losing all his stuff.

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

cspear ( ) posted Sun, 20 March 2011 at 10:39 AM

Free IT support to parents = seventh circle of hell!

Might be worth looking for an anti-malware program that runs off a bootable CD or USB stick, you can run Spybot this way (LINK) and in my experience this would be your most effective first step.

Thereafter choose a decent, free AV program: these days I swear by Microsoft Security Essentials - it's inobtrusive and fairly robust. Do regular Spybot updates and scans to be on the safe side. I've been running half a dozen PCs this way for the last couple of years and have had zero problems.

Windows 10 x64 Pro - Intel Xeon E5450 @ 3.00GHz (x2)

PoserPro 11 - Units: Metres

Adobe CC 2017

onnetz ( ) posted Sun, 20 March 2011 at 12:07 PM

Format and install some verion of linux. :-) I'm sure they'd love that.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.

If you can't eat it or play with it,

just pee on it and walk away. :-)

I wouldnt have to manage my anger

if people would manage their stupidity......

Mogwa ( ) posted Sun, 20 March 2011 at 2:02 PM

It would help to know what sort of infection we're dealing with. The most common type of late that will not allow an internet connection is Win Anti-vir or Win Antivirus 2011;  both are boot sector bugs that pretend to be antivirus/anti-spyware tools.One nasty feature is that every time you reboot your pc, the infection spreads to other sectors until you suffer a total system freeze.

I believe Antimaleware from malbytes is supposed to remove the infection, and so is Spyware Doctor. If the damage has already reached critical limits, you may not be able to install either program, even in safe mode. Your only remaining option is to format the hd and do a fresh Windows install.

Good luck.

Winterclaw ( ) posted Sun, 20 March 2011 at 2:25 PM

Quote - Antimaleware

We need to keep that stuff out of the hands of feminazis.

/me is afraid of what antimaleware will do

BTW, I've heard Carbonite talked about on the radio for months.  Basically it backs up your PC for you.  Maybe once you get your dad's PC fixed, you charge him 120 or whatever and go get him an AV and carbonite since he won't do it himself.

WARK!

Thus Spoketh Winterclaw: a blog about a Winterclaw who speaks from time to time.

(using Poser Pro 2014 SR3, on 64 bit Win 7, poser units are inches.)

Mogwa ( ) posted Sun, 20 March 2011 at 2:59 PM

Antimaleware. Lord.

My brain is slowly turning into mush. I'm ging to have to install a browser spell checker or find a simpler method of communication, like smoke signals.

Quote - > Quote - Antimaleware

We need to keep that stuff out of the hands of feminazis.

/me is afraid of what antimaleware will do

BTW, I've heard Carbonite talked about on the radio for months.  Basically it backs up your PC for you.  Maybe once you get your dad's PC fixed, you charge him 120 or whatever and go get him an AV and carbonite since he won't do it himself.

lmckenzie ( ) posted Sun, 20 March 2011 at 5:06 PM

Attached Link: Sandboxie

Once you get it fixed, you might look at Sandboxie. If he does mainly email and some light web browsing, you could set up his browser & email program to run sandboxed. That way, any nasties he might pick up wouldn't get to the main system.

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sun, 20 March 2011 at 6:21 PM
Site Admin Online Now!

Well, they didn't have a virus, they had 4. It appears that antimalware was able to remove them. The computer seems to be running fine. I hope that is really the case. Time will tell.

Thank you all for all your help. My folks send their thanks too.

ranman38 ( ) posted Mon, 21 March 2011 at 9:25 AM

run combofix from bleepingcomputer first, then you can run malwarebytes or the others.

Trust me, I am responsible for 100 computers and sometimes even adware/malware gets past anti-virus. combofix works every time. The others do not.

Many ISP's offer free antivirus, go to your isp website and see. Comcast for example has free norton.

Have fun.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.