Sun, Sep 22, 5:31 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / 3D Modeling

Welcome to the 3D Modeling Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433

3D Modeling F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 9:12 am)

Freeware 3D Modeling Software Links:
Blender | Trimble Sketchup | Wings 3D | Anim8or | Metasequoia | Clara IO (Browser-based 3d modeler)

Check out the
MarketPlace Wishing Well, as a content creator's resource for your next project.

"What 3D Program Should I buy?" Not one person here can really tell you what's best for you, as everyone has their own taste in workflow. Try the demo or learning edition of the program you're interested in, this is the only way to find out which programs you like.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: What are you working on thread

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Mon, 31 January 2011 at 4:52 AM · edited Mon, 31 January 2011 at 4:59 AM

file_464661.jpg

Well... I debated whether to use shading domains, or break my roof model into separate parts, or leave the roof as one object and try to paint the whole thing by hand.  And since Hexagon, Carrara, and 3DCoat do not agree on what a shading domain really is at any given time, I gave up on the whole shading domain naming/renaming/deleting/re-labeling/overlapping thing.

The one thing I can trust UV mapping to do is detect if I am lying about my mesh.  Because while doing a paint test, I found some stretch marks.  And it's impossible to fix the UV map until I first fix my mesh, which I cut corners on because I just assumed I'd be using procedural materials like I always do. 

Something made me want to paint this thing by hand though.  Probably from watching some Clint Eastwood movie where he has the folks painting their whole town red.

Anyway, this is just a paint test.  I will mask tape it next time, and not use too wide of a brush.  I have better wood textures somewhere.  This one was from Hexagon 2 Gold Edition.  But I have to remodel the frame better so that UV mapping will fall into place better.  Then I can use Carrara to grunge up the edges for me to give it an aged look (and cover up where I painted outside the lines).

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

airflamesred ( ) posted Mon, 31 January 2011 at 6:01 AM

Painting by hand - its the way forward me thinks.

Keep us posted

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Tue, 01 February 2011 at 1:32 AM

file_464704.jpg

A new mesh and new wood texture this time.  I just need to take a course in speed painting now.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Mon, 07 February 2011 at 9:34 PM · edited Mon, 07 February 2011 at 9:36 PM

file_465051.jpg

Third time is the charm.  Still some UVs to fix.  And still more to model, like the actual elevator.

airflamesred ( ) posted Tue, 08 February 2011 at 5:26 AM

Roof looks good Shawn

50parsecs ( ) posted Tue, 08 February 2011 at 12:17 PM

Yeah, roof is looking good and I like the new wood texture.

BionicRooster ( ) posted Wed, 16 February 2011 at 10:43 AM · edited Wed, 16 February 2011 at 10:45 AM
Forum Moderator

Here's what consumed me for the last 11 days. modeling actually only took 3 days, the materials and shaders, however, aren't so easy going. I guess the reson being I am including New, Old, and Really Old versions of a variety of colors. But, this is what I have come up with, and have now passed this over to BB (YAY!) to check my stuff for mistakes.

Poser 10

Octane Render

Wings 3D

airflamesred ( ) posted Sun, 20 February 2011 at 6:28 PM

file_465780.jpg

C & Cs please

Is this a bald sheep shape? I'm thinking maybe I'll put another mesh (wool) on top to get some displacement.

Touchwood ( ) posted Mon, 28 February 2011 at 11:11 PM

file_466125.jpg

My latest project drawing to a close, just some small detail work to finish up.

A Bofors 40mm AA Gun

airflamesred ( ) posted Fri, 04 March 2011 at 5:42 PM

file_466304.jpg

the rib cage is looking 'not so right'. c and c welcome

ZIKEO ( ) posted Mon, 14 March 2011 at 5:36 AM

file_466743.jpeg

Great Stuff Guys!!

AirFlames. I think the ribs are going in the wrong direction?

Here's a shot of the rear of my latest model. A Bristol 403.

As you may of heard, Bristol has now gone into receivership. I had work for Bristol for 25 years.    Basically since I left school.

There is a front shot of the 403 on my gallery.

Good luck with your latest projects.

Z

ANGER. IS THE BEAST WITHIN.

BionicRooster ( ) posted Mon, 14 March 2011 at 3:23 PM
Forum Moderator

I've been wanting to make something larger than a single prop, and kinda architectural in nature, but wanted to do something that I haven't really seen around yet. So I decided against actual buildings or anything of the sort, and went underground!

Here's what I've been working on for a few days now. Most the textures are preliminary and just thrown on for looks. But here's the jist of it, it's maybe about 100ft stretch, enclosed environment so you can have the shot from just about any angle.

I am still adding more details, like pipes, etc, but wanted to get a general opinion if this would be an item of interest to the public here.

Poser 10

Octane Render

Wings 3D

FrankT ( ) posted Mon, 14 March 2011 at 4:08 PM

Sewers are way cool.  I did one as a modelling exercise ages back - there is so much scope for adding details and stuff.  I expect it would sell

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

ZIKEO ( ) posted Sat, 19 March 2011 at 8:58 AM

file_466949.jpg

Hi Guys

Nice Sewers BionicRooster. Very L4D 🆒

I've got a lot of time on my hands at the moment. So I thought I would have a go at useing the side profile/silhouette of the 403 and see what transpires.

Z

ZIKEO ( ) posted Sat, 19 March 2011 at 9:25 AM

file_466950.jpeg

Hi Again

A colour shot from the front

ZIKEO ( ) posted Sat, 19 March 2011 at 9:25 AM

file_466951.jpeg

And a shot from the rear

BionicRooster ( ) posted Sat, 19 March 2011 at 10:31 AM
Forum Moderator

I'm anxious to see your finished car, that looks awesome so far!

I forgot all about posting a pic of my sewer in this thread, otherwise I woulda posted an updated image :o)

Poser 10

Octane Render

Wings 3D

ZIKEO ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2011 at 8:54 AM

file_467089.jpg

Your sewer is looking great.

I caught the end of an old Gadget Show episode yesterday and they were using Nurbs.

I remembered attempting nurbs years ago with no success, so I thought I would give it a go again.

My first nurb Shape!

ZIKEO ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2011 at 8:55 AM

file_467090.jpg

Second Nurb Shapes

ZIKEO ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2011 at 8:57 AM

file_467091.jpg

Third Nurb Shape. No reference. It's a bit out of proportion

ZIKEO ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2011 at 8:59 AM

file_467092.jpg

And a something I spent a bit more consideration over this morning.

GKDantas ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2011 at 9:43 AM

Very good! What nurb software you are using?

Follow me at euQfiz Digital

ZIKEO ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2011 at 10:19 AM

Hi GKD

I'm using Amapi Pro 7.5

ZIKEO ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2011 at 10:19 AM

Hi GKD

I'm using Amapi Pro 7.5

GKDantas ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2011 at 11:58 AM

Cool, I think I have a copy here somewhere too...

Follow me at euQfiz Digital

ZIKEO ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2011 at 12:10 PM

file_467094.jpeg

Sorry about the double post. Everything seams to be going slow on this site?

I had to convert to poly and have a quick render.

50parsecs ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2011 at 3:52 PM

Some very impressive work ZIKEO! Love the rear-end view of the Bristol. Reminds me of a sexy girl I used to know. ;) The concept car you based off the 403 is a svelte, sexy little rig too. That car would give the Mini-Cooper a run for its money. Retro-futuristic. Good work on the nurbs modeling. I tried out Rhino at College, but I don't have it on my computer. Too bad Amapi Pro 7.5 isn't available anymore, or I might try nurbs modeling again.

airflamesred ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2011 at 5:20 PM

Can we see the wires for the gun Zikeo?

ZIKEO ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2011 at 6:13 PM

file_467101.jpg

Thanks GUys.

Doesn't Hexagon do nurbs?

I would check, but I haven't re-installed since the Virus System Crash.

Here are the wires after conversion to poly.

ZIKEO ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2011 at 6:14 PM

file_467102.jpg

And an electric type cycle thing I started this evening.

airflamesred ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2011 at 6:47 PM

Now there's a UV mapping job if I ever saw one!

ZIKEO ( ) posted Wed, 23 March 2011 at 7:39 PM

file_467104.jpg

Wait till you see the converted wires on the Electric Cycle.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2011 at 1:15 AM

Quote - Now there's a UV mapping job if I ever saw one!

I let 3DCoat do the auto UV mapping for my Amapi Pro NURBS.  Nightmare to do otherwise.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Thu, 24 March 2011 at 1:18 AM

Quote - Thanks GUys.

Doesn't Hexagon do nurbs?

I would check, but I haven't re-installed since the Virus System Crash.

Here are the wires after conversion to poly.

No NURBS in Hexagon.  Moi does better poly conversion than Amapi Pro.  I have not gotten used to Moi's GUI though.

ZIKEO ( ) posted Fri, 25 March 2011 at 1:56 PM

file_467143.jpg

Moi looks quite interesting.

The conversion of the cycle turned it into a nightmare.

So I've spent today remodelling in poly using the converted nurbs version a guide.

The headlamp area gives away which is which and maybe the chicken drum stick brake levers.

Z

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sun, 27 March 2011 at 3:35 AM · edited Sun, 27 March 2011 at 3:36 AM

file_467190.jpg

A government building from Fallout 3 (before the nukes).  Modeled in Hexagon.  UV mapped and ready for concrete pouring (texturing).

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sun, 27 March 2011 at 7:16 AM

file_467198.jpg

With concrete from Carrara.

50parsecs ( ) posted Sun, 27 March 2011 at 4:03 PM

Great-looking building Shawn!

uncle808us ( ) posted Mon, 18 April 2011 at 3:16 PM

Quote - I've been wanting to make something larger than a single prop, and kinda architectural in nature, but wanted to do something that I haven't really seen around yet. So I decided against actual buildings or anything of the sort, and went underground!

Here's what I've been working on for a few days now. Most the textures are preliminary and just thrown on for looks. But here's the jist of it, it's maybe about 100ft stretch, enclosed environment so you can have the shot from just about any angle.

I am still adding more details, like pipes, etc, but wanted to get a general opinion if this would be an item of interest to the public here.

Nice Rooster I think it would sell.

MacBook Pro OSX El Capitan Ver 10.11.6

uncle808us ( ) posted Mon, 18 April 2011 at 3:23 PM

file_467945.jpg

Here's what I've been working on.

MacBook Pro OSX El Capitan Ver 10.11.6

50parsecs ( ) posted Tue, 19 April 2011 at 2:49 AM

Great job! Suddenly I have an intense craving for soft pretzels and mustard! I have to get into the big city.

Teyon ( ) posted Tue, 19 April 2011 at 4:36 AM

Attached Link: Maybe this link will help.

> Quote - the rib cage is looking 'not so right'. c and c welcome

That's because you're not taking into account that you should be seeing an impression of the rib cage through skin, fat and muscle. You're approaching it as if the ribs are directly under the skin, which they aren't. I would suggest looking at anatomy and photo references of goats, deers and sheep to get an idea of what the physical structure is like and then try again. Keep at it!

Teyon ( ) posted Tue, 19 April 2011 at 4:55 AM

file_467959.jpg

I don't know what tools you have at your disposal but you may consider doing the detailing via displacement instead if you are finding it hard to model the detail directly. Here's an example I did a long time ago using a Poser ram from the old e frontier series of animals. It's a bit more muscular than it probably should be but you can get an idea of what is possible via displacement.

airflamesred ( ) posted Wed, 20 April 2011 at 2:42 PM

That took a while to work out - thanks Teyon

I like your ram on steroids!

Its not gonna need that level of detail - its a free for terragen community so it will be a case of many poses and many textures, but thanks.

So would you UV before displacement and then texture?

Teyon ( ) posted Wed, 20 April 2011 at 3:08 PM

Well these days, you don't really have to do it in that order but yes, that's what I normally do. I do find myself adjusting UV's after displacement has been done these days but that's more because I have been adding to a model or improving sections of it than anything else. I use ZBrush for my sculpting and it doesn't require the model have a map before hand anymore.

airflamesred ( ) posted Wed, 20 April 2011 at 4:03 PM

Thanks Teyon

I see what your getting at. If you started from say, a cube in ZB then there would be no point in UVs but with a decent base mesh then the displacement would be a sort of 3d sub divide.

I'm using metasequoia which although straight forward does bones, animation and now has sculpting tools (or will have for general release very soon). I've tried swapping to blender but its just not working for me.

Teyon ( ) posted Wed, 20 April 2011 at 4:17 PM

Don't feel bad. I never liked Blender solely because of its interface. It's a powerful program and people do great things with it but it's just not for me. That's why it's always good to try different apps to find the right fit because what one person loves, you may hate. Anyway, keep up the great work everyone, you folks are an inspiration!

BionicRooster ( ) posted Wed, 20 April 2011 at 11:24 PM · edited Wed, 20 April 2011 at 11:27 PM
Forum Moderator

Attached Link: Gallery image uploaded at 4:20 on 4/20

I haven't posted here for a little while, and have actually been kinda lazy (might be due to what this post is REALLY about hehehe), so I got to modeling a little bit this morning, due to it being the ever so glorious 4/20, and made an image.  (One helluva run-on sentence there) lol

So yeah, being the day that it is was all the inspiration and motivation I needed to be "productive", even tho I did take the easy road whan I found the lighter in the freebies here....

Modeled in Wings 3D and rendered in Octane

Poser 10

Octane Render

Wings 3D

ZIKEO ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2011 at 8:43 AM

file_468258.jpg

Hi Guys

I've had another play with the Nurbs thing.

This time modelling a Future Robot Space Hopper Transport thingy.

There is a scene with Mea Riding this Guy on my Gallery. (Hubba Hubba)

Z

originalmoron ( ) posted Thu, 28 April 2011 at 4:37 PM

file_468267.jpg

Ok ZIKEO, here are some wires of the bike as requested :)

My blog

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.