Fri, Oct 4, 3:27 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: As always...experiments

AgentSmith ( ) posted Sat, 02 April 2011 at 4:40 PM · edited Thu, 26 September 2024 at 11:30 AM

file_467412.jpg

Hmmm...I think? I forgot to post these up?

Lol, hey everybody!

It's been a little crazy the past 4-5 months and I have quite a few half rendered Bryce 7 beta images floating around from when I was playing with the, at that time, unreleased Anisotropy settings. (with my fave all time material, messed up metal)

I'll start getting them together (and finish rendering them) and post them up in here.  :o)

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

AgentSmith ( ) posted Sat, 02 April 2011 at 4:40 PM

file_467413.jpg

Btw, since I was going for speed in playing around in the MatLab, these materials are driven by image textures and not procedural, so just about anytime you use even a seamless image texture on a organic model such as these, there are still seam problems.

AgentSmith ( ) posted Sat, 02 April 2011 at 4:40 PM

file_467414.jpg

I was obviously going through a green phase...

tom271 ( ) posted Sat, 02 April 2011 at 5:01 PM

That's a great material... I like the first one.. It really works with the scratches

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bobbystahr ( ) posted Sat, 02 April 2011 at 6:27 PM

They all have their seperate charms...Thanks A.S.

Once in a while I look around,
I see a sound
and try to write it down
Sometimes they come out very soft
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

Quest ( ) posted Sat, 02 April 2011 at 8:10 PM

Love them all AS...and nice to see you here...keep em coming.

skiwillgee ( ) posted Sat, 02 April 2011 at 8:14 PM

Speaking or really raising the bar in Bryce.  Well you did it again.

erosiaart ( ) posted Sun, 03 April 2011 at 4:01 AM

i like the first one.. why is it i can smell the metal out here? 

AgentSmith ( ) posted Sun, 03 April 2011 at 7:08 AM · edited Sun, 03 April 2011 at 7:08 AM

Yeah, the first one is my fave also. Don't know why, it just "is".

More Mat renders to come on Monday.

AS

TheBryster ( ) posted Sun, 03 April 2011 at 7:39 AM
Forum Moderator

Nice to see a Master at work!

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

AgentSmith ( ) posted Mon, 04 April 2011 at 4:04 PM

file_467491.jpg

I'll start numbering these for easier reference.

We'll call this one #4, and it is probably my fave (so far). I like the two types of age-ing going on, on each end.

AgentSmith ( ) posted Mon, 04 April 2011 at 7:22 PM

file_467514.jpg

#5 - Okay, another fave of mine, I guess. But, this one I think is the best in subtle/realistic looking metal.

Very unfortunately, something about Bryce changed between the version I used to make this scene file and the current Bryce version, so NOW it doesn't render out exactly the same and look as good. I'll have to go back and re-tweak to get it back.

erosiaart ( ) posted Mon, 04 April 2011 at 10:12 PM

i love no 4 too.. the glow on it is so good..want to poish off the old and make it new again.. 

how did you manage that goldish fade into irony? 

TheBryster ( ) posted Tue, 05 April 2011 at 9:56 AM
Forum Moderator

AS has a 'Do the Impossible' button in his version of Bryce. It's a bit like the 'Make Art Like Rockr' button some of us have...............

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

AgentSmith ( ) posted Tue, 05 April 2011 at 6:24 PM

file_467536.jpg

***"how did you manage that goldish fade into irony?"***
  • Pretty simple. You're just placing two textures in the Matab to drive the Diffussion and Ambience together, Bryce really does the rest. You can check out the other settings here I use here.
    And, after checking, this scene actually uses one procedural and one image texture in addition to using an HDRI for lighting/reflection to help the realism. It can be a tricky balance as just using a different HDRI can cause one to have to re-tweak a lot of settings to bring it back to something that looks good again.

AgentSmith ( ) posted Tue, 05 April 2011 at 6:30 PM · edited Tue, 05 April 2011 at 6:31 PM

file_467537.jpg

**For Bryce 7 users - scenefile download**

Render #4 there has a retail purchased model in it, but I replaced it with a little mesh I know I made, otherwise it is the same exact scenefile and you can download it here;

http://kirkdunne.com/files/anis_testing_forum_01.zip

Experiment and enjoy!

AgentSmith ( ) posted Tue, 05 April 2011 at 6:35 PM · edited Tue, 05 April 2011 at 6:36 PM

file_467538.jpg

This one, instead of using an HDRI for added realism, I wanted to see how it could render with just a plain Bryce sky. So, no clouds, no atmosphere, just blue-ish sky and a sun for the single light. (althuogh, I did activate soft shadows on the sun)

erosiaart ( ) posted Tue, 05 April 2011 at 11:42 PM

It looks so good! Smells metallic and feels metallic too! Even the last one without the hdri (my bryce bane...sigh..) looks so good! 

I'll potter into that...if i dare...once i get my laptop back... 

thanks a ton, AS!

airflamesred ( ) posted Wed, 06 April 2011 at 1:08 PM

Nice work AS

The pitted darker areas in the last one. How do you keep them off the rounded edges? Is there a trick or just tweek them out and cover with specular?

AgentSmith ( ) posted Wed, 06 April 2011 at 5:40 PM

"The pitted darker areas in the last one."

• Anything like that would be a complete accident, I just applied the texture and scaled it up until the detail of the texture appeared dense enough to my taste. Just luck, I guess.  :o)

Gog ( ) posted Thu, 07 April 2011 at 6:43 AM

AS, I love your modesty "Just luck I guess" no acknowledgement that you've been playing with bryce for years and have a good understanding of what is under the hood :).

Nice images BTW.

----------

Toolset: Blender, GIMP, Indigo Render, LuxRender, TopMod, Knotplot, Ivy Gen, Plant Studio.

AgentSmith ( ) posted Tue, 12 April 2011 at 11:10 PM

The only thing I equate it to is playing a piano by ear. There are times I have to look up what the name is of a certain Bryce button is before I would post about it in here, lol.

AgentSmith ( ) posted Tue, 12 April 2011 at 11:15 PM

file_467770.jpg

Last beta image post here. This is the very first render I made using the at-the-time beta Anisotropy settings. And yeah, I know this doesn't make much sense, lol. A surface shaped like this wouldn't really be made of scratched green metal, but some days it's a "what the hell?" kind of a day in Bryce.  ;o)

Thanks again everyboody!!!!   ;o)

Bryce on!

erosiaart ( ) posted Wed, 13 April 2011 at 12:04 AM

terribly good if you doing an industrial sort of scene..esp where iron ore boils..or a spaceship melting down or something that way. even 

it really reeks metal though..ah phew!

would the chararistics of the mat change if you change it to a really flat surface? 

TheBryster ( ) posted Wed, 13 April 2011 at 8:17 AM
Forum Moderator

As always...experiments

Yes, he does. ;-)

skiwillgee ( ) posted Wed, 13 April 2011 at 9:21 AM

@ AS, if you see this

How many times did you crash Bryce while doing this?  This is a serious inquiring.  I have spent the last few days experimenting with picture based mats, with and without hdri, various settings of anistropy, etc... because of what you have inspired in this thread. Some of my results are fairly decent but not without problems.

It is frustrating how many times Bryce crashes.  Is there a secret to minimize crashes? Or is this type experimenting just pushing the software to its limits?

AgentSmith ( ) posted Thu, 14 April 2011 at 1:57 AM

"would the chararistics of the mat change if you change it to a really flat surface?"

• In this case, with this mat, almost all of the effect dissapears. Anisotropy really kinda needs "something" to be activated, like a curve, an angle, at least a good bump going on so that it can have something to react off of.

AgentSmith ( ) posted Thu, 14 April 2011 at 2:26 AM

"How many times did you crash Bryce while doing this?"

• More than a few times and really that was because I would load an HDRI, play with it, not like it, load another, play with it, load another, etc. It seemed like the back and forth would trip it up (and I do a LOT of back and forth). And, the crash rarely happened until I tried to save the scenefile. Other than HDRI's, this USED to happen once in a while to me with going back and forth with the image tetures. (doesn't really seem to anymore). But, of course, we have went through a lot of beta's by now.

So anyway, my constant habit is to save right before trying a new setup of HDRI's.

• Beyond that...lol, (here we go)...it's my theory that with really ANY program can perform better and crash less if the user makes sure that the least amount of other programs running is at a minimum. For over a decade I have done this to a degree that is really kinda obsessive. I've had a small carreer in building and fixing computers but nowadays what I mostly do is just tweak peoples' PC's to get rid of almost all of background programs.

There are SO many programs that want to;

• Start with your computer.
  • Take up memory.
  • Run in the background, using your cpu.
  • Connect to the internet and update.
  • Possibly scan your hard drive's (for many reasons) which can KILL your experience no matter what you're doing.

And, I am not talking about just anti-virus types of programs, which of course are the main culprits. There is the OS itself with ALL of its "Services", MS Office, anything from Apple, anything from Google, ANY browser "toolbar", Java, ANY browser, Silverlight, I mean...the list is basically almost every program. Because if it is not connecting or updating its making sure it is THE program to control your jpg's or your mp3's, etc, etc, on and ON, lol. I spend a LOT of time making sure all this crap is turned off on my PC. I turn almost everything off, period.

Other than that;

• Max out your memory to 4GB (32-bit OS) and however high you can afford to go with a 64-bit OS.
  • I have always installed my OS on its own hard drive, nothing else goes on it.
  • I keep my Virtual Memory on a 2nd, internal hard.
  • I keep my Bryce scenefiles on a 3rd, external hard drive.
  • CPU's can control all 3 of these hard drives at the same time without all 3 actions having to happen, onto the same hard drive.
  • Sacrifice a poly each day to the all great and all powerful Bryce and you'll be good.

erosiaart ( ) posted Thu, 14 April 2011 at 10:35 AM

- I keep my Virtual Memory on a 2nd, internal hard.
- I keep my Bryce scenefiles on a 3rd, external hard drive.

That sounds like a great idea. i try doing that too.. when I render.. but the amt of processes that seem to be happening seems mindboggling. And I guess too..if the render is taking time.. you tend to go thru fb, mail, radio podcasts ..and all that jazz just to keep your mind from not losing it, without realizing it does use up memory. Bryce still reads 2 gigs even if you have 4. 

norton i  know kills. 

skiwillgee ( ) posted Thu, 14 April 2011 at 3:33 PM

Thanks for the update on "crash protection"  I do tend to go back and forth a lot in those experimental fits I get at times.  Tweak this, adjust that, fiddle with buttons and dials, etc. I have learned that some times the 'puter just has to catch up. 

Example: hi res terrains take time to update.  If you try to make a second or third adjustment before it has time to finish the first operation.   CRASH! WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEND AN ERROR REPORT!.  Well, duh, no.  I don't even let my graphics machine touch the web. 

Memory.  I'm using Win 64 with 4gb memory but maybe I should add more.  Memory isn't that expensive anymore.

I don't have the computer savy to seek out and destroy apps wanting to control the machine other than cleaning out startup.

I usually do custom installs with new programs but honestly it can be overwhelming for my little brain.  Again, example.  Corel Draw includes about half a million (exageration) modules.  How am I to know what is good and basic and what is fluff especially since I've never had or used the program before.  But all that is because of air in my head, not anyone elses problem.

In a nutshell, it is almost comforting to know AS crashes his machine also.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.