Tue, Sep 24, 6:16 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 24 12:07 am)

Subject: If I have a .OBJ file (a face), how can I make it a .PZ2?

l8sho ( ) posted Wed, 18 May 2011 at 3:36 PM · edited Tue, 24 September 2024 at 4:21 AM

Is it difficult? Do you do it in Poser? Anyone? 

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

markschum ( ) posted Wed, 18 May 2011 at 4:19 PM

If you import an obj file you can save it as a prop.  If you have just the head with no other parts, like eyes, you can apply your obj as a morph to an existing figure but the vertex counts and order must be the same.

Does that answer ?

perhaps if you said more about what you want to do ?

l8sho ( ) posted Wed, 18 May 2011 at 5:21 PM

Thanks. I need a morph that I can use in Daz3D with V4. I can generate the .OBJ in Faceshop, but then, in order to use it in Daz -- not as an object, but as a character morph for V4 -- it seems I need to turn it into a .PZ2. (All the other characters that I have purchased or downloaded appear to have .PZ2 files at their core.)

MatCreator ( ) posted Wed, 18 May 2011 at 6:06 PM

What you really need is the Poser File Editor, one of the absolute best purchases I've made in all my years of Poser-ing...

You would open the figure in the PFE, then create an inj/rem morph for the face as a .pz2... It's hard to get into details, there aren't many, using the PFE it's just that simple...

There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those that can count, and those that can't..

markschum ( ) posted Wed, 18 May 2011 at 6:28 PM

a pz2 file is a pose file. It can load a morph and set any morphs to a specific value. Thats used a lot in Poser to create characters.

If your faceshop morph is compatible , just load V4, go to the Head, and have the properties panel open. From properties there should be an option to load a morph, select that and tell it where your obj file is. Give the morph a name , and you should now have V4 with your morph. Save it to the figures library with a new name.

There should be tutorials on making an inj pose so I wont try here. Its just a copy, paste from the cr2 to a pose file.

lesbentley ( ) posted Wed, 18 May 2011 at 6:40 PM · edited Wed, 18 May 2011 at 6:49 PM

An obj file can only be used as a morph if it uses the same mesh as the actor in the figure you want to morph. In other words to morph V4's bead, your obj needs to be a morphed version of the V4 head, with the same winding order and the same vertex count.

Assuming those conditions are met, there are a number of methods to to package the morph in a pz2 file. Here is one method.

Download and install svdl's "SpawnCharacterP6 update" Python script.

In Poser, Load V4, turn off IK, zero the figure in the Joint Editor. Load the obj file into V4's head as a morph target (Object > Load Morph Target). Express the morph at a value of 1.0, make sure no other morphs are affecting the figure.

Run the SpawnCharacterP6 script. Click the various fields from the top down, filling in the the relevant information as you go. The first field is "Enter morph name", this is the name that will appear above the morph dial. The second field "Select a channel" lets you choose which PBMCC channel the morph will be injected into. Clicking the third field "Save INJ REM in" lets you chose where to save the pose files. The other fields can be left at their default. Click the "Generate" button. The script will run for a while, then your INJ and REM files will be saved to the folder you specified.

An alternative is to use the stand-alone "Pozers Little Helper" application to create the INJ and REM files. It is available from "Winscape 2000".

I'm sure the using Poser File Editor, as mentioned by MatCreator, would work just as well as the methods above.

MatCreator ( ) posted Wed, 18 May 2011 at 7:21 PM

I didnt even think that the target mesh and morph mesh are not of the same figure =/

That changes things completely...

There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those that can count, and those that can't..

markschum ( ) posted Wed, 18 May 2011 at 11:38 PM

I suggest the original poster study the faceshop manual. That should detail using the product with M4 or V4 (or other supported figure) and getting the result back into Poser.

l8sho ( ) posted Thu, 19 May 2011 at 10:42 AM

To Markschum,

The properties panel that you're talking about, is that in Poser or Daz3d. I'm a little lost.

l8sho ( ) posted Thu, 19 May 2011 at 11:32 AM · edited Thu, 19 May 2011 at 11:35 AM

(UGH! The board would not allow me to upload the .OBJ file. If anyone wants to help, I can forward it to you.)

For example, attached to this post is an .OBJ file (of a face as created in Faceshop). Is it possible to turn this into an injection morph for use on V4 in Daz3d?

If so how?

Thanks community in advance.

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 19 May 2011 at 12:30 PM

If we are talking about Faceshop as available at DAZ3D, it is not as reliable as the author intends it to be, unlike there have been drastic changes to improve the product.  I have always found it to distort the mesh at one point or another, making it totally unusable for injecting morphs.  The workflow to using it, export as a head obj of your model from Poser and import it into Faceshop for initial setup.  Never use the built in models offered, they are not mesh accurate.  Proceed with the wizard until you get a reasonable morph, then export that as your new head obj with a recognizable name.  Use that as your target inj morph.

l8sho ( ) posted Thu, 19 May 2011 at 1:05 PM

Okay, this is the sticking point right here. I must be missing something. You say:

"Proceed with the wizard until you get a reasonable morph, then export that as your new head obj with a recognizable name.  Use that as your target inj morph."

How do you use an .OBJ as a target inj morph in Daz? I thought inj morphs were .PZ2 files? I have an .OBJ file. Now how do I use it as an inj morph in Daz?

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 19 May 2011 at 1:13 PM

Oops!  My bad.  I completely forgot you were referring to DAZStudio and not Poser. 

lesbentley ( ) posted Thu, 19 May 2011 at 6:40 PM

Quote - (UGH! The board would not allow me to upload the .OBJ file. If anyone wants to help, I can forward it to you.)

The board won't allow you to attach a file with a ".obj" file extension, but it will allow you to attach a file with a ".txt" file extension. Make a copy of your obj file and add a ".txt" file extension to the end of the file name. So:

my.obj

Becomes

my.obj.txt

You will then be able to attach it to your post. Of course anyone downloading it will need to remove the ".txt" before they can use it in Poser.

lesbentley ( ) posted Thu, 19 May 2011 at 7:10 PM

Quote - How do you use an .OBJ as a target inj morph in Daz? I thought inj morphs were .PZ2 files? I have an .OBJ file. Now how do I use it as an inj morph in Daz?

I don't know anything about D|S, perhaps you should ask that question in the DAZ|Studio forum, where they probably know the answer. In Poser, if you select the Object menu, there is an option to "Load Morph Target", this option allows you to load an obj file as a morph. Perhaps there is a similar option in D|S.

I don't know if D|S will run Poser py scripts, if not, you won't be able to use the "SpawnCharacterP6" script, that I mentioned in a previous post. However you can still use "Pozers Little Helper" to make the INJ, as it is a standalone application, it does not care if you are using Poser or D|S.

I don't have "Poser File Editor", but imagine that is also a stand-alone application that does not care in you use Poser or D|S. It may possibly be easier to use than "Pozers Little Helper", which works well, but has a bit of a learning curve.

nruddock ( ) posted Fri, 20 May 2011 at 2:36 AM

D|S has a tool called "Morph Loader" (used to be a seperate plugin, but I think is now included).

l8sho ( ) posted Fri, 20 May 2011 at 8:06 AM

This sounds exactly right, and I found it on Daz for a mere $10. Before I jump in, does anyone have any experience with this plug-in and how well it works? 

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.