Thu, Sep 19, 4:08 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 4:00 pm)

Subject: Ambient Light / IDL

3-d-c ( ) posted Mon, 20 June 2011 at 6:18 AM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 8:55 AM

Hi.

i wonder if anyone knows how i can make a material emmitting more light for enlighting the surrounding? I can move the value to up more than 1, ie 10. the enlightning seams good with that, however, the materials 2d texture is getting simply white then. so, i would wonder how i can keep the colortexture of the 2d pic, but still get much more light emmitted than what i get with an ambience setting of "1".

Any ideas?

thanks

3-D-Cs Facebook Page: 3-D-C on Facebook

Check the K-Azonica Story and World Evolving:   K-Azonica

Check my website and products and the large freebie section:   3-D-C

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 20 June 2011 at 8:24 AM

Can you show me the setup of what you're trying to do? I don't want to go on a long explanation of why you're going about the lighting the wrong way unless you really are.

Are you doing indoor or outdoor? Day or night? Do you have objects in every direction (a room) or are substantial parts of the world empty? Which version of Poser are you using? Have you dealt with gamma properly? If P8 or PP 2010 are you using IDL correctly?

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 20 June 2011 at 8:25 AM

Also, if P8 or PP 2010 did you know that enabling tone mapping will do exactly what you're asking? I'm not suggesting you should do that, however, until I see what you are trying to do and why.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

3-d-c ( ) posted Mon, 20 June 2011 at 8:34 AM

Hi Bagginsbill. I think i got around it. Attached is a cap of the shader. I probably forgot to attach the 2d map to the value node. So that as a matter of fact the entire map was enlighted by "5" which produced a pretty much white screen.

It is simply a screen that i want to enlighten the surrounding, ensure the walls are a little lighted from it...

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/rrfilelock/download.php?fileid=43961&key=9400>

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Mon, 20 June 2011 at 12:12 PM · edited Mon, 20 June 2011 at 12:15 PM

try setting ambient/translucent to 0 (no lite emission in those channels),  then plug texmap into alt diffuse.  it won't be very bright at first, but let us see the render, with HSVTM at 2.0 and gain at 2.0.  uncheck "refl lite mult", set IDL et al. via D3D FFRender script.

3-d-c ( ) posted Mon, 20 June 2011 at 12:14 PM

THanks, will try this and post the difference

3-d-c ( ) posted Mon, 20 June 2011 at 1:11 PM

Sorry, me again, whats HSVTM ? I dont have Gain, do you mean the texture strenght?

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Mon, 20 June 2011 at 2:05 PM

file_470055.png

do you have the above script? (scripts/partners/dimension3d/render firefly)  if so, try those settings.  this is not the only method to simulate light emitted by a CRT/LED monitor.  is the image source an hdri file?

3-d-c ( ) posted Mon, 20 June 2011 at 2:14 PM

Hi

sorry, i might should have mentioned that i need to work with onbaord materials as this is about a product for the market place so needs to work with standard settings. :)

So i guess the emulation of the above wouldnt work in a standard Poser 8 environment, would it?

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Mon, 20 June 2011 at 2:48 PM

file_470056.png

the "render firefly" script was included in poser 8.  however, ordinary render settings may be adequate as a start.  a set of monitors will only illuminate adjacent surfaces in a dark scene or room.  they haven't got enough luminance to compete with fluorescent/incandescent room lighting.

millighost ( ) posted Mon, 20 June 2011 at 2:52 PM

file_470057.jpg

In the attached image i used a trick to make the image on the monitor cast more light on the desk than it appears (big illustration). The scene is lit only with the IDL of the monitor. The small illustration in the upper right shows what is going on: The monitor actually has two display-screens; one that is for the lighting and one that is displaying what is actually visible in the render, almost like a real monitor. The backlight image is connected to the ambient channel (with a value of 5), while at the same time it is covered by a plane that shows the image that should be seen. The plane that covers the backlight has it's property "Visible in ray tracing" turned off, so it does not block the indirect light. Probably the scene would not look right if looked at through a mirror (but on the other hand, a lot of things would not).

Not directly an answer to your question, but works without too much render setting magic.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 20 June 2011 at 2:54 PM · edited Mon, 20 June 2011 at 2:54 PM

My question is why do you want to do this? It's not realistic. I just took several different photo exposures of my basement office monitors. The colors are blown out in all of the exposures where illumination of the surroundings is visible. When the exposure is set to show the monitors somewhat accurately, the rest of the room is pitch black.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 20 June 2011 at 3:09 PM

file_470058.JPG

Exposed to see room lighting effect. Poser is on the screens. The render shows some gold stuff on a table, with a pink table cloth.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 20 June 2011 at 3:09 PM

file_470059.JPG

Here properly exposed to see the screen contents accurately.

ThunderStone ( ) posted Mon, 20 June 2011 at 3:16 PM

ok... so that's real life... I don't think he would want real life, bb... :lol:

===========================================================

Poser: Poser 11.3 ...... Units: inches or meters depends on mood
Bryce: Bryce Pro 7.1.074
Image Editing: Corel Paintshop Pro
Renderer: Superfly, Firefly

9/11/2001: Never forget...

Smiles are contagious... Pass it on!

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 20 June 2011 at 3:18 PM

Well I think millighost's trick is awesome.

In PP 2012 there are new options that can make invisible objects emit light!

Anthanasius ( ) posted Mon, 20 June 2011 at 3:37 PM

Loooool It's a long time we request that, it's a revolution !!!

Génération mobiles Le Forum / Le Site

Kalypso ( ) posted Mon, 20 June 2011 at 4:20 PM
Site Admin

Quote - In PP 2012 there are new options that can make invisible objects emit light!

Well, since we're on the subject, what else is there? :)

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Mon, 20 June 2011 at 5:19 PM · edited Mon, 20 June 2011 at 5:31 PM

file_470061.png

one reason they do it is to get the actor's shot in the same frame with a reflection or projection of the screen, as in SO2001 and maybe other scifi or anime.  OP can increase exposure (TM) but it will look fake.  so these invisible posersurfaces would be like mill's hidden lite-emitting screen?  wait, when was PP2010 released?  2009?  ....  checking .....  no, it was in 2010.

3-d-c ( ) posted Tue, 21 June 2011 at 5:49 AM

good idea, this trick with the two surfaces. sounds simple enought to be reproduced. i need something that would also work in DAZ, even if it is not emmitting light, but the new marketplace policies here would require me to have less poser shaders but more DAZ compatible stuff.

thanks all for your great input. I know the results arent always what real life would be, however, people want what they like, not what real life is :)

thanks again, for so much useable input!

I am really curious about any new version of Poser. 2010 pro was a real great step forward due to the IBL indirect lightning feature....

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 21 June 2011 at 6:46 AM

What marketplace are you talking about? Requiring products be dumbed down for DS is obnoxious. 

Who is saying you have to have a single implementation that works the same in both?

3-d-c ( ) posted Tue, 21 June 2011 at 6:57 AM

ReRo does, we are required to submit at least an alternative non-shader mat set...

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 21 June 2011 at 7:11 AM

Oh- that's different that what you said earlier.

It's fine to require that it work in DS. What you said, though was "new marketplace policies here would require me to have less poser shaders". That's not true then, right? They don't REQUIRE you to have less poser shaders. They require you to have MORE than just poser shaders.

3-d-c ( ) posted Tue, 21 June 2011 at 7:31 AM · edited Tue, 21 June 2011 at 7:32 AM

Yes, sorry for not expressing right, whats required is a material set that would work in both. Now, it is pretty clear that D/S standard wouldnt do indirect lightning anyway, neither would poser 7 or so. So i try to keep the shaders as simple as possible, so they would provide emmitting light when working with poser 8 up but would also work with DAZ in case some one uses DAZ.

So, the solution i am looking for was a smart one ;)

hope that explains. Sorry, this is not my first language.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.