Thu, Sep 19, 10:27 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 9:35 am)

Subject: Proper Folder Format to Add New Prop (Self Made)

Ragtopjohnny ( ) posted Thu, 23 June 2011 at 11:25 PM · edited Thu, 25 July 2024 at 8:37 AM

Hello again everyone -- hope you're all doing well!

I have a question here -- I've made my first Poser Prop and wanting to test it out, I saved it as an object file. Imports fine into poser that way.

What is the structure on having the textures be attached to the object file? I properly UVW Mapped them in the program I use, they're 24 bit textures.

Just hoping someone out there can guide me in the right direction. I have the Prop Texture Folder in the Textures folder, but can't quite get them to show up on it. :-/.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/theories.....:-)

Poser Pro 2012/3DS Max 2013/Adobe Photoshop Elements 10/Zbrush/

PC: HP Z820 Workstation, 3.30 ghz 8 core Intel Processor, 2gig nvidia Quadro, 16 gig of Ram and 2TB Hard Drive.

amandagirl15701 ( ) posted Fri, 24 June 2011 at 12:25 AM

The Object must be saved with the textures applied. This will save the object and a material file which contains the locations to the textures.

Or

You can save the object to your Prop library after appling the textures and it will be just one click to load. One thing is the object will be embeded in the pp2 file along with the texture locations.

DarkEdge ( ) posted Fri, 24 June 2011 at 9:34 AM

Put your textures in here: Runtime/Textures/YourFolderWithMaps

Import the prop, go to the Material room and apply your textures from the above Runtime folder, save prop to Props library...you should be good to go. 😉

Comitted to excellence through art.

Ragtopjohnny ( ) posted Fri, 24 June 2011 at 9:46 AM

Well, I tried to do as you said Amanda, but I haven't been able to get the textures to show.

I'll try later on, but I have to work on the model now for a bit. I'll be posting renders of what's been done so far --

One good tool about renders, they show where you HAVE to make touch ups! :-)

PC: HP Z820 Workstation, 3.30 ghz 8 core Intel Processor, 2gig nvidia Quadro, 16 gig of Ram and 2TB Hard Drive.

markschum ( ) posted Fri, 24 June 2011 at 10:07 AM · edited Fri, 24 June 2011 at 10:08 AM

an obj file should save with a matching .mtl file. The mtl file will contain only part of the Poser textures, such as color , image maps.

a mtl file does not contain pathnames , so all the files must be in the same folder

1. create a folder under runtime/textures  for your stuff I use my userid 

2. create a subfolder for the specific prop if a lot of image maps are used

-  runtime/textures/myuserid/mypropname

1. put all the maps in that folder

2. import the object file

3. apply all the materials

4. Save to the props folder (use the same userid folder to keep your stuff neat

you now have a poser prop that will load from the props library with all textures intact.

if you create a c:runtime folder and duplicate the subfolders you can zip it and it will extract correctly for distribution. There is no need to duplicate empty folders

DarkEdge ( ) posted Fri, 24 June 2011 at 10:25 AM

Quote - an obj file should save with a matching .mtl file. The mtl file will contain only part of the Poser textures, such as color , image maps.

a mtl file does not contain pathnames , so all the files must be in the same folder

1. create a folder under runtime/textures  for your stuff I use my userid 

2. create a subfolder for the specific prop if a lot of image maps are used

-  runtime/textures/myuserid/mypropname

1. put all the maps in that folder

2. import the object file

3. apply all the materials

4. Save to the props folder (use the same userid folder to keep your stuff neat

you now have a poser prop that will load from the props library with all textures intact.

if you create a c:runtime folder and duplicate the subfolders you can zip it and it will extract correctly for distribution. There is no need to duplicate empty folders

lol. I thought I just said that. 😄

Ragtopjohnny ( ) posted Fri, 24 June 2011 at 11:50 AM

Thanks everyone! I'll give it a whirl after lunch! :-D

Will let you know how I make out......

Ragtopjohnny ( ) posted Fri, 24 June 2011 at 6:20 PM

Still no go.  What is the proper format of the textures for Poser 8?  I have the aircraft that I'm making successfully added into a folder of mine, I just can't get the materials to show up yet :-/.  Really confused on this one.

Thoughts/theories?

markschum ( ) posted Fri, 24 June 2011 at 9:56 PM

@darkedge, it was similar but more detailed ;)

If the prop loads with no errors then the materials it was saved with have loaded. check in the material room that they are correct. Node based materials wont show in preview but must be rendered. Image maps should show in preview.

can you post  a screencap of your material settings or send the prop to me for a look ?

Ragtopjohnny ( ) posted Sat, 25 June 2011 at 10:19 AM

Mark,

I'll take a look at the Material Room -- They're relatively simple textures right now, the prop isn't really completed, just wanted to see how it looks so far, so thought I'd ask now since I'm having these troubles.

I have 7 textures, I'll try and re-image map them today, maybe I missed a step and if I still have trouble I'll post the screen shot after. 

It's also for another program at the same time -- so I'll see what happens after I experiment a bit.

I appreciate the offer.

Maybe this might explain a little more: 

I have the Textures under my Archangel Productions name in the Textures Folder. Do I also need that to be in the Materials folder as well under Archangel Productions? 

Thanks again.....:-).  I'll keep you updated with a screen shot after I do another image map.

DarkEdge ( ) posted Sat, 25 June 2011 at 12:14 PM · edited Sat, 25 June 2011 at 12:16 PM

file_470195.jpg

> Quote - Maybe this might explain a little more:  I have the Textures under my Archangel Productions name in the Textures Folder. Do I also need that to be in the Materials folder as well under Archangel Productions?

I think you might be confused at what all of the folders do. The Materials folder is strictly to house a material, or collection of materials that you have created in the Material room...you create the material and then save it in the Materials folder, then you can recall it at any time.

Now to maps...You can theoritcally have your image map anywhere on your computer (desktop, MyDocuments, etc) and it should show up when you apply it in the Materials room, though if you are going to distribute this to the masses then you'll want to grab it from your Textures folder located in your Runtime folder structure.

1. Go to the Material room and select the Eyedropper tool, click somewhere on your prop/obj/whatever.

2. Bring up an image map node.

3. Grab your texture

4. Plug Image map into the DiffuseColor

You should now see your map on you obj/prop/whatever. If your obj/prop/whatever is not uv mapped then you will have some issues with the texture map displaying peoperly.

Hope this helps. 😄

Ragtopjohnny ( ) posted Sat, 25 June 2011 at 12:36 PM

Thanks Dark Edge, I'll let you know how it works...will try right now...:-)

My other question is this Dark Edge, did you create that in poser or an outside program?  I used Gmax in the creation of the aircraft, so just curious on that. 

I found where you got to the menus, but I am having difficulty setting up material for the windows, props, etc.

Thanks for the help though, will check in in a bit -- will be working on the rest of the model at the moment.

DarkEdge ( ) posted Sat, 25 June 2011 at 12:54 PM · edited Sat, 25 June 2011 at 12:55 PM

I created it in Max, but that doesn't matter...regardless of what program you create it in you'll need these things to be true for your prop:

1. It needs to be uv mapped, so the maps display properly.

2. It needs to have materials assigned to it, one prop can be broken up into many different materials. It's these assigned materials that you attach image maps to in the Materials room.

Ragtopjohnny ( ) posted Sat, 25 June 2011 at 1:32 PM

Thanks -- I think that's what I'm missing, is a true UVW Map.  Will have to add one, I believe that's why it's not coming through the right way.

I'll also asign it in the materials room after too -- I realized that was the step I was missing. 

Appreciate the help :-)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.