Tue, Oct 1, 5:34 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 01 3:49 pm)

Subject: creating cloth video tutorial for poser 8

Artchitect ( ) posted Sat, 25 June 2011 at 9:01 PM · edited Tue, 01 October 2024 at 5:27 PM

i am more of a visual learner, so reading the manual doesnt completely help and i'm new to animation anyways. i tried going to youtube to look for some tutorials on MAKING cloth, not manipulating it. but i couldnt find anything.

so i was wondering if anyone knew how to make cloth because according to the manual, it says something about turning an object into cloth. how do you make cloth for a figure? and turn it into something like a shirt or skirt or something like that. and what kinds of objects or parts are best for cloth groups???

xantor ( ) posted Sat, 25 June 2011 at 10:09 PM · edited Sat, 25 June 2011 at 10:10 PM

I don`t know of any video tutorials but smith micro have a few non video tutorials.

http://my.smithmicro.com/tutorials/1643.html

You will probably want to read their figure creation tutorial as well (conforming clothing is actually a figure).

http://my.smithmicro.com/tutorials/44.html

I would suggest that you start off making a simple figure, just so you get used to all that entails, then you can move on to making clothing.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sat, 25 June 2011 at 11:13 PM · edited Sat, 25 June 2011 at 11:13 PM

Search this forum for the word delaunay. There are many cloth discussions. Not much video.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

Believable3D ( ) posted Sat, 25 June 2011 at 11:18 PM

Just to be clear: Note that clothifying an object is only relevant for the Cloth room, i.e. for Poser's dynamic cloth, not for conforming clothes. And the Cloth room does that clothifying "automatically" (see the threads on the subject of dynamic clothes/cloth room).

Generally speaking, making an OBJ file look like cloth is not about modelling, except the degree that a non-dynamic (i.e. a conforming) item has folds etc modelled into it. For the rest, it's about getting the right materials settings.

Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X/MSI MAG570 Tomahawk X570/Zotac Geforce GTX 1650 Super 4GB/32GB OLOy RAM

Software: Windows 10 Professional/Poser Pro 11/Photoshop/Postworkshop 3

vintorix ( ) posted Sun, 26 June 2011 at 9:02 AM

It depends. If you already are a seasoned modeler, it is easy compared to what you are used to. Just go to PhilC's site /www.philc.net/ and after a weekend you should be up and running. For the more advanced stuff you will need the "Secrets of Figure Creation with Poser 5" at Amazon.

But if you don't know how to model sorry this is not for you.

On alternative could be to make Dynamic cloth with Marvellous Designer. That is intuitive and easy, and dynamic cloth is all the craze just now. Considering that the release of the new Genesis figures from Daz is imminent that might be the best solution. V5 might change everything, better to put your effort there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTBBnc2SJ90

xantor ( ) posted Sun, 26 June 2011 at 9:24 AM

I don`t see genesis making all other poser figures obsolete, so conforming clothing will still be needed for quite a while.

vintorix ( ) posted Sun, 26 June 2011 at 9:36 AM

This is true xantor but for one who is starting now it would be foolish to begin with the old. This is the time for all those who hasn't been with Poser from the beginning.

I adhere to the maxim, "Out with the old, in with the new".

icprncss2 ( ) posted Sun, 26 June 2011 at 5:11 PM

You can make cloth inside Poser using PhilC's Clothing Creator plugin.  It uses a simple pattern you create in your graphics app and Depth map.

It takes a bit of practice but once you get the hang of it, you have a lot more freedom.

imagination304 ( ) posted Sun, 26 June 2011 at 8:37 PM

(bookmarked)

Tashar59 ( ) posted Mon, 27 June 2011 at 2:48 PM

Quote - This is true xantor but for one who is starting now it would be foolish to begin with the old. This is the time for all those who hasn't been with Poser from the beginning.

I adhere to the maxim, "Out with the old, in with the new".

I don't think you need to jump ship yet. At least until you see what P9 and pro can do.

Also except the Genesis figure in DS4. DS4 still uses all the figures, OK most but they are not missing anything with Miki3, which are still Poser rigged. So again no reason to jump ship if someone want to learn to make clothes.

There is also the fact that Poser has all the tools to rig, morph, even model if you want without paying for extra plugins to do it. And yes you can make clothes in Poser by using primitives, the figure themselves with the grouping tool ( one of the most if not the most powerful tool in Poser) and some import export and the clothroom. Usage depends on if you want to just use them for your own use or if you want to give away or sell them. Different rules for different usages.

Though I think that trying any of the free modeling apps would be a good start to even see if you like to model. Wings3D, Animator, Blender. Then there is the rigging or clothroom after.

vintorix ( ) posted Mon, 27 June 2011 at 3:19 PM · edited Mon, 27 June 2011 at 3:25 PM

"I don't think you need to jump ship yet."

You miss the point Tashar59.

Those who start afresh has no old ship to jump. If you are a newbie and want to get a clean start, it would be stupid to enter an old ship. With a minimum of effort you can have the chance to get a comfortable head start before the others.

Edit: "those who are last shall be the first"  

wimvdb ( ) posted Mon, 27 June 2011 at 4:05 PM

Genesis does not work in Poser 8 - which was what was asked

xantor ( ) posted Mon, 27 June 2011 at 9:34 PM

Genesis only works in one program at the moment, which is a major problem with it.

A lot of people wont have the money to buy a new version of poser just so that they can use the genesis figure in it.

Artchitect ( ) posted Sat, 09 July 2011 at 6:01 PM

so clothifying an object means literally turning it into cloth?

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 09 July 2011 at 6:23 PM

Quote - i am more of a visual learner, so reading the manual doesnt completely help and i'm new to animation anyways. i tried going to youtube to look for some tutorials on MAKING cloth, not manipulating it. but i couldnt find anything.

so i was wondering if anyone knew how to make cloth because according to the manual, it says something about turning an object into cloth. how do you make cloth for a figure? and turn it into something like a shirt or skirt or something like that. and what kinds of objects or parts are best for cloth groups???

I love making video tutorials. I'll work on one this evening. I'll be using Poser 6, but I don't think the cloth room has changed for Poser 8. 

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

Artchitect ( ) posted Sat, 09 July 2011 at 6:44 PM

oh cool! thank you! =)

Artchitect ( ) posted Sat, 09 July 2011 at 7:22 PM

file_470711.jpg

and how do i make cloth like that shown above. because i dont get that concept.

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 09 July 2011 at 7:28 PM · edited Sat, 09 July 2011 at 7:28 PM

Do you want a video on making the clothing or using it? I can't help you with making clothing, because you need a modeling program for that.   But I can show you some of the basics in the actual Poser cloth room to use a ready made dynamic item.

Artchitect ( ) posted Sat, 09 July 2011 at 7:34 PM

i'd love that. i just want to know what i'm capable of and how i use my capabilities to the max!

btw, the people who make all the clothing products on this site use a completely different program than poser??? i dont get that...

imagination304 ( ) posted Sat, 09 July 2011 at 8:19 PM

The Digital Tailor Starter Kit

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/the-digital-tailor-starter-kit/86209

hborre ( ) posted Sat, 09 July 2011 at 8:26 PM
Online Now!

Poser is not a modelling program.  It is more a posing, scene building and rendering program used for models already created in other specialized applications.  Although, there is some capacity to utilize primitives to build clothing and props , Poser is not as robust to create more complex mesh needed for fine details.

Artchitect ( ) posted Sat, 09 July 2011 at 9:56 PM · edited Sat, 09 July 2011 at 9:57 PM

oh... i see, so what's a good program for making clothes and props and modelling in general and still import those things into Poser?

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 09 July 2011 at 10:13 PM

Quote - i'd love that. i just want to know what i'm capable of and how i use my capabilities to the max!

btw, the people who make all the clothing products on this site use a completely different program than poser??? i dont get that...

Ok. I'll do a video showing a cloth room simulation.

I wanted to do it this evening, but I forgot that I don't have my headphone/microphone connected to my CPU.  And I can't see the back of my CPU very good at night, so I'll connect the headphones tomorrow and do it then.

Artchitect ( ) posted Sat, 09 July 2011 at 10:47 PM

ok cool

Teyon ( ) posted Sat, 09 July 2011 at 11:17 PM

Quote - oh... i see, so what's a good program for making clothes and props and modelling in general and still import those things into Poser?

Truth told, there's no one program that is used for making stuff for Poser. At Smith Micro, my co-worker uses 3D Studio Max and I use a combination of Modo and Silo for modeling. Other artists here use Wings3D or Blender. Some use Hexagon, some use Carrara. A few may even use Maya or XSI. Ultimately, the important things to consider when chosing a modeling application for Poser content creation are: Can I export out a polygonal OBJ file and how well do I like the interface?

Bonus things to look for - the ability to define material zones, UVmap creation/editing tools, and the ability to paint textures directly on the surface of the object. Some apps provide these things alongside the modeler and some you can find in dedicated applications. Creating content for Poser is no small thing, so if you're a new user you may want to get to know Poser first before venturing out into content creation.

Hope that helped. Oh! One last thing, try before you buy when it comes to these applications. Don't just jump to an app because XYZ person is using it. What works for one person may be frustrating for another.

hborre ( ) posted Sat, 09 July 2011 at 11:26 PM
Online Now!

Or if you are on the cheap, Blender and Wings3D may serve you well, both are free and well supported.

Artchitect ( ) posted Sat, 09 July 2011 at 11:33 PM

free? where can i download them when i need to?

Anthanasius ( ) posted Sun, 10 July 2011 at 2:46 AM

google.

Génération mobiles Le Forum / Le Site

Acadia ( ) posted Sun, 10 July 2011 at 7:03 PM

Ok, I've done the video. It's just rendering and I need to upload it. I'll post the link when it's done.

Acadia ( ) posted Sun, 10 July 2011 at 8:55 PM

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 11 July 2011 at 9:35 PM

If you are wanting videos on creating clothing, Fugazi1968 has a number of modeling videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/Fugazi3D

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.