Tue, Oct 1, 9:29 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: OT... Any old Amiga users out there???

skiwillgee ( ) posted Thu, 30 June 2011 at 10:33 PM · edited Tue, 01 October 2024 at 7:23 PM

I know some of you had the old Commadore Amigas.  I owned an A1000, an A500 and currently still have my old A3000. 

I have a big problem I hope someone here may can solve.  I fired up the old beast today and was going through tons of floppys of old games and applications.  My particular A3000 booted off the HD that contained both 1.3 OS and 2.0 OS.  This gave me the option to boot either operating system and I could use it as a way to run downward compatiblely for old, old games. 

Well in swapping a zillion discs today and rebooting mega times trying to find which games were compatible I seem to have goofed up my boot block.  Normally the unit searches for a boot disk (called Kickstart) in drive 0. barring a boot disc being present it would then boot version 2.x from HD.  Well now this old machine has lost its way and it wants me to insert a boot disc in drive 0 before it will go any further.

I have thrown my kickstart disc away apparently.  I have some ROM chips containing Version 2.04 but never installed them because if ROM is installed there is no longer the downward compatibility.

**Now to my question.  Does anyone of you old hoarders have a kickstart 1.3 or 2.x disc you could copy and give me?  if not I'm going to try to install the ROM chip set. **

Anxiously awaiting a positive answer...

For the un-anitiated.  Amigas would multi-task and run on a windows drag and drop environment years before Microsoft dreamed it was possible.  And all this on 512K ram.  Boot-up time is 11 seconds.  **

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Fri, 01 July 2011 at 12:38 AM · edited Fri, 01 July 2011 at 12:39 AM

Shhhh... I'm one of those old Amiga users out there.  I have an Amiga 2000HD which at the moment is dorment.

Let me dig through my archives and see if I have a KickStart image that you can write back to a Floppy Disc.

I can also point you to some Amiga forums if you need to repair the boot sector.

I believe there is a certain forum admin that was previously also an Amiga user, not naming any names. ;)

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Fri, 01 July 2011 at 12:49 AM

Ok I found the A3000 Kick v2.0 Disks, they are in ADF Format, there must be a tool  you can use to write it back to a floppy.

Send me a site mail with e-mail address and I'll e-mail it too you.  Very tiny.

pakled ( ) posted Fri, 01 July 2011 at 7:07 AM

I know there are some emulator programs out there for old systems, like Commodore 64s, Ataris, etc., and lots of games to run on them. Not the same thing, but if you're going for the 'period rush'...;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

bobbystahr ( ) posted Fri, 01 July 2011 at 8:13 AM

I'll have a look...seems I kept a lot of basic stuff when I sold my Amiga Imagine stuff to a pal in the Imagine Forum and I know KickStart 1.3 was in the box of floppies...get back to ya Willie

Once in a while I look around,
I see a sound
and try to write it down
Sometimes they come out very soft
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Fri, 01 July 2011 at 10:05 AM · edited Fri, 01 July 2011 at 10:05 AM

I use WinUAE the best Amiga emulator for my Amiga fix when I need it.  Runs pretty good.

skiwillgee ( ) posted Fri, 01 July 2011 at 11:37 AM

Thanks guys.  I searched all the sites and I read about the WinUAE app. Bobby and Analog-X64, I will IM you. 

clay ( ) posted Fri, 01 July 2011 at 11:51 AM

Amiga is still a word? LOL!!! Like I have room to talk all my macs are 5 yrs old...poor lil guys have been worked to death.

Do atleast one thing a day that scares the hell outta ya!!

skiwillgee ( ) posted Sat, 02 July 2011 at 7:26 PM

IM's sent.  Analog-X64, even if I had the file in amiga format via email I have no way to write it to an Amiga formatted disc.  I have an Amiga that refuses to look at its HD for the boot info and wants me to insert a disc.

I can't write the disc without a working machine.  Besides that my two PC's and laptop don't even have floppy drives even if there was some arcane way to write an Amiga disc from a PC.

clay ( ) posted Sat, 02 July 2011 at 7:29 PM

I think you can DL an emulator ski, err a start up app which you could save to a new cd etc.

Do atleast one thing a day that scares the hell outta ya!!

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Sun, 03 July 2011 at 7:39 AM

There is a piece of software that allows you to interface your PC to your Amiga even if the hard drive on your amiga is not working.

Click Here:

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.