Wed, Oct 2, 1:22 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 01 3:49 pm)

Subject: Arrgh! Can't install Daz3D figs into Poser 7

barrowlass ( ) posted Mon, 11 July 2011 at 2:07 PM · edited Wed, 02 October 2024 at 1:22 AM

It's ages since I used Poser - and now I've installed it to my new-ish W7 machine.  I've tried and tried to install V4 to the runtime using the installer - no sign of it.  Please help me to avoid getting a headache from the head-desk-bang syndrome.  I know there's a way to do it, but can't remember :(

Thanks for any help

Yours, dementedly ....

My aspiration: to make a decent Poser Render I'm an Oldie, a goldie, but not a miracle worker :-)

Gallery

Freebies

Music Vids

RHaseltine ( ) posted Mon, 11 July 2011 at 2:26 PM

With Windows 7 it's a good idea to install the DAZ figures outside the Poser application folder, which you can do with Poser 7 SR3. Just choose DAZ Studio as the target application and then pick a folder you wish to use. Then point Poser to the folder you installed to as an external Runtime.

barrowlass ( ) posted Mon, 11 July 2011 at 2:29 PM

Quote - With Windows 7 it's a good idea to install the DAZ figures outside the Poser application folder, which you can do with Poser 7 SR3. Just choose DAZ Studio as the target application and then pick a folder you wish to use. Then point Poser to the folder you installed to as an external Runtime.

Thanks! Is there a SR3 update? I can't find it on SmithMicro site, only stuff for P8 & Pro

My aspiration: to make a decent Poser Render I'm an Oldie, a goldie, but not a miracle worker :-)

Gallery

Freebies

Music Vids

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 11 July 2011 at 2:32 PM

Make sure you are the administrator of your system. 

Also, if I remember correctly, after installing V4, you need to run the .dat file to initialize the figure.

Personally I never install directly into my runtime folders.  I have a folder on my C Drive called "Unzipped" that I install or unzip content into.  After I've looked through the folders and organized and renamed folders as needed, only then to I drag and drop into the runtime folder.

I keep a dummy poser.exe file in that folder. It's simply a text file with the extension changed to .exe.

When installing Daz content, I stop it from searching, and point the path to the unzipped folder on my C Drive.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

RHaseltine ( ) posted Mon, 11 July 2011 at 2:34 PM

There was yes. I thought the legacy updates were available further down the page last time I looked. I can't recall what bugs SR3 fixed, but it's probably worth trying to find it (and they should have it since they were still selling P7) - however, if you set Search behaviour to "Shallow" (Edit>General preferences>Not sure which tab) then even the original P7 will work with the figures in external Runtimes.

moriador ( ) posted Mon, 11 July 2011 at 3:32 PM

Quote - Personally I never install directly into my runtime folders.  I have a folder on my C Drive called "Unzipped" that I install or unzip content into.  After I've looked through the folders and organized and renamed folders as needed, only then to I drag and drop into the runtime folder.

I keep a dummy poser.exe file in that folder. It's simply a text file with the extension changed to .exe.

When installing Daz content, I stop it from searching, and point the path to the unzipped folder on my C Drive.

This is what I do, and it's absolutely the best way to install any content, Daz or otherwise, because it gives you a chance to organize things and to catch any errors in folder organization that a creator might have made.

I can't remember how many times I've unzipped a zip with a file structure that looked like runtime/poser7/runtime that if I'd just unzipped it directly into my runtime would have immediately become invisible to my library.

PoserPro 2014, PS CS5.5 Ext, Nikon D300. Win 8, i7-4770 @ 3.4 GHz, AMD Radeon 8570, 12 GB RAM.

NishikiIsshiki ( ) posted Mon, 11 July 2011 at 5:15 PM

Quote - Make sure you are the administrator of your system. 

The installation routine from DAZ gets by the start administration rights with a "manifest" in the program code.

barrowlass ( ) posted Mon, 11 July 2011 at 6:19 PM

Thanks everyone. I'll see what I can do tomorrow. I've missed Poser

Gallery

Freebies

Music Vids

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 11 July 2011 at 9:36 PM

Just a week ago I started back into Poser after a nearly 3 year hiatus.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

amandagirl15701 ( ) posted Mon, 11 July 2011 at 10:37 PM

Attached Link: http://poser.smithmicro.com/poserupdates.html

The Poser 7 sr3 is avaliable on their support page.

barrowlass ( ) posted Tue, 12 July 2011 at 4:06 AM · edited Tue, 12 July 2011 at 4:14 AM

Quote - The Poser 7 sr3 is avaliable on their support page.

Thanks! Downloading them now - am remembering how messy Daz installations can be ;)

Gallery

Freebies

Music Vids

SAMS3D ( ) posted Tue, 12 July 2011 at 5:46 AM

Is your win 7 a 64 bit, it probably is.  I installed poser in the c:/ drive and never had any issues with poser after that.  You might want to try that, then all your other installs will work just fine if you point the installer to the poser directory.

barrowlass ( ) posted Tue, 12 July 2011 at 5:24 PM

Quote - Is your win 7 a 64 bit, it probably is.  I installed poser in the c:/ drive and never had any issues with poser after that.  You might want to try that, then all your other installs will work just fine if you point the installer to the poser directory.

Yes it is 64 bit. Poser is installed to C drive. I've successfully installed V4 - am sorting out her stuff (some hair bought from here and Daz3D. Some files seem to be not where they should be but I'll remedy that

Gallery

Freebies

Music Vids

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.