Wed, Sep 18, 10:38 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: does poser 8 work in new mac Lion os

drawgeoff ( ) posted Thu, 21 July 2011 at 5:22 AM · edited Wed, 18 September 2024 at 10:26 AM

Before committing to upgrading i wonder if poser 8 and painter 12 will work in the new os mac is bringing out today. I am not particularly techinically savvy, so i may be best to wait a few week to see if any teething problems ( if any ) are sorted out.

scrandall ( ) posted Thu, 21 July 2011 at 6:15 AM

I haven't played with it much, but the icons in the library window don't render making looking for anything there useless

ratscloset ( ) posted Thu, 21 July 2011 at 9:44 AM

Yes it does.. but with some minor issues, such as the Icon in the Library not showing.. the Mouse over still works, so you can locate the Category if you do not remember the order by mousing over the Placeholders.

Activating Poser on Lion has its own issue, but once Activated, there should be no other issues.

The issue has to do with permission changes in the Mac OS. Here are the steps to activate the software after installing.

1. BEFORE launching your freshly-installed copy of Poser (Debut, Poser 8 or Pro 2010), browse into the root Library/Application Support folder and create a folder for your copy of Poser- 'Poser', 'Poser Pro', or 'Poser Debut'. You'll need to provide an admin password to do this.

2. Launch and serialize Poser normally- you won't be able to see the category icons in the library pane but the mouseover category names should work.

1a. If you have launched Poser and entered a serial number and are now seeing Poser crash on launch, the first thing to do is to open System Preferences, go to the General pane and turn off the 'launch to previous state' option.

2a. Now go create the 'Poser', 'Poser Pro' or 'Poser Debut' folder as described in (1) above

3a. Launch and serialize Poser

4a. Now if you like you can reactivate Lion's 'launch to previous state' option. 

Anyone that encounters other issues, please contact Support with details. Put Attn: John in the Subject along with Lion Issues.

Thanks

ratscloset
aka John

DgerzeeBoy ( ) posted Thu, 21 July 2011 at 4:49 PM

Attached Link: http://support.smithmicro.com/cs/smkb.cfg/php.exe/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2345&p_created=1310146681&p_sid=JMNmszzk&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD0zNDUmcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2

From Smith-Micro's website ***Knowledge Base***--their own statement about Poser 8 and MAC OS 10.7:

Not Lion compatible.

But all future versions of Poser And Poser Pro will be.

I've also found that P8 does work in 10.7, with the few minor issues mentioned above.

No word yet from S-M on an upgrade date.

drawgeoff ( ) posted Fri, 22 July 2011 at 3:12 AM

Thanks for that, i will certainly try that later. I think i will hang on a while longer though before upgrading as according to the apple support community forum people are having other problems. I have the same concerns about if Bryce 7 and Daz studio 4 will work. My reasons for thinking about upgrading to Lion were to take advantage of "gesture movements" and the cloud so i can synch with other devices easier. Beginning to think is it worth it just yet.

Sedor ( ) posted Fri, 22 July 2011 at 5:24 AM

Thanks, that works fine.

A little bit curious: with Poser 7 there are no such "problems" - it works very well!

Markus 

cspear ( ) posted Fri, 22 July 2011 at 7:57 AM

Apple Lion looks like a big pile of problems:

Bugs        Features

Thank the stars I abandoned Macs long ago.

Windows 10 x64 Pro - Intel Xeon E5450 @ 3.00GHz (x2)

PoserPro 11 - Units: Metres

Adobe CC 2017

ratscloset ( ) posted Fri, 22 July 2011 at 12:47 PM

Quote - Thanks, that works fine.

A little bit curious: with Poser 7 there are no such "problems" - it works very well!

There are issues with Poser 7, not visible, and not fixable.

The install issues is due to Apple changes in Permissions

The Icon, I am not sure, but I suspect it is also related to permissions...

Got a new Mac last night with Lion on it (i7) Got a Super Drive so I could install software. No issues with the newest SM Graphic Products, except for those mentioned, but I was surprised by all the others that do not install or will not work. Sorting through some of that today... glad I still have my Snow Leopard System to use the software with.

Most issues today seem to be related to permissions or Security Software.

ratscloset
aka John

Sedor ( ) posted Fri, 22 July 2011 at 1:14 PM

Well I installed yesterday Poser 7 at Lion, there was no issue - I was also very curious, but for me (!) it looks like that P7 works fine.

Of course until now I have just done some small test-renders, but all I tryed worked.
Maybee that the issues relate to things I don't use, I don't know - for me P7 is just for setting up materials. 

With P8 I had also the small issue regarding first install and now the missing icons.

I think also many problems will occur because of the change in the permissions, we will see what else is now "running wild" :P

To be sure I've a backup of my SnowLeo-System, so I can switch back - I set up a virtualized OSX (10.6) if I need to run a programm which is still PPC-Code. 
So there was no risk for me, all others should think if they want to be early adoptors.

(Jesses... I need some sleep, my english is really getting bad...) 

Markus 

A_Sunbeam ( ) posted Fri, 22 July 2011 at 3:00 PM

It always takes them a while to iron out the bugs, so I would suggest not upgrading to Lion until they've issued an update ot two ...

I'm still on, and perfectly happy with, Tiger on a PowerMac (i.e. non-Intel) that runs Poser 7 and Pro 2010. I do have Leopard on a second drive, but that's just for a couple of apps that don't like Tiger.

And I've had Photoshop since version 4, and Mac since System 7.5.3 and the various upgrades have always played nicely for me. My old machine has Photoshop 6 and OS 8.6, still working happily (though the G5 is a lot faster ...).

DgerzeeBoy ( ) posted Sat, 23 July 2011 at 6:33 PM · edited Sat, 23 July 2011 at 6:39 PM

Attached Link: FACTS

> Quote - Apple Lion looks like a big pile of problems: > > Thank the stars I abandoned Macs long ago.

Really? Might wanna take a look at this.

ratscloset ( ) posted Mon, 25 July 2011 at 9:44 PM

There is one other issue uncovered and a work around.

The Color Selection is wonky when using the standard Color Selection Screen. If you click on the Color Bars in the upper right corner, it opens the Custom Color Selection, which works without issues.

ratscloset
aka John

WandW ( ) posted Tue, 26 July 2011 at 7:09 AM · edited Tue, 26 July 2011 at 7:11 AM

John,

Will there be an SR to PP2010, or will there be a new product version?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

A_Sunbeam ( ) posted Tue, 26 July 2011 at 7:33 AM

Quote - Thanks, that works fine.

I'm still using Tiger (OS10.4.11) with Poser 7 and Poser Pro 2010 - because Pro is so sluggish on Leopard (OS 10.5.8) on my other internal disc. Even with just a couple of figures it's almost impossible to move the parameter dials or scroll down the parameter list.

(PowerMac G5, PPC, not Intel)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.