Wed, Sep 18, 1:03 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: Poser Pro 2012 on iMac and..

Raindroptheelf ( ) posted Fri, 30 September 2011 at 6:19 AM · edited Sat, 14 September 2024 at 11:26 PM

I am not at all happy with it because

1. I can not,in the Material room copy and paste number values and browsing to put a texture on from your own textures on the iMac is slow and freezes for a bit

2. Just to change colour for example a diffuse colour is hard work as it takes AGES for the new colour to  be accepted

3. Everything is from loading a model to loading hair,clothe is super slow compared to PP2010

4.NONE of the lights that look good in PP2010 look right in PP2012 even though I am using my  PP2010 render settings and unchecked SSS in the Rendersettings

1. I set it so up that it loads with the default settings - the figure but as soon as I load a new light or even leave the Pose room to go into the Material Room the floor changes from the nice blended to the background one to a very bright mustard colour

My Mac :

Model Name:iMac

Model Identifier:iMac10,1

Processor Name:Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed:3.06 GHz

Number Of Processors:1

Total Number Of Cores:2

L2 Cache:3 MB

Memory:4 GB

Bus Speed:1.07 GHz

Am I doing something wrong.

I am still on Snow Leopard because Lion is bad and I have tried.

Petra

estherau ( ) posted Fri, 30 September 2011 at 7:56 AM

there may be some things that can help with speed.  In render settings there is a preview pane where you can make some changes.  there are some checkboxes.  see if you have open GL on and maybe turn off the realistic shadow bit.

Also look in preferences and see what settings there that you can adjust. 

You might have to fiddle around.

Love esther

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

Raindroptheelf ( ) posted Fri, 30 September 2011 at 8:01 AM

Thank you for your reply.

I am fiddeling for days now lol.

The render itself is not to bad time wise but when want to make simple changes it takes so much longer than in PP2010 which I also have on iMac.

estherau ( ) posted Fri, 30 September 2011 at 8:12 AM

and you're in snowleopard?  Odd.

Maybe you are not running it in 64 bit?

You only have 4GB of RAM?  I have 56 GB.

Love esther

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Fri, 30 September 2011 at 11:42 AM

other questions: was this install from download, what procedures were followed prior to  install, and what processes are using how much CPU in activity monitor during ordinary poser actions? (not during rendering)

p.s. users desiring up to 64 GB RAM may consider 12-core mac pro configuration (approx $14,847.00 american).  however, poser may still function adequately on less RAM.  YMMV

Raindroptheelf ( ) posted Fri, 30 September 2011 at 11:53 AM

Quote - other questions: was this install from download, what procedures were followed prior to  install, and what processes are using how much CPU in activity monitor during ordinary poser actions? (not during rendering)

p.s. users desiring up to 64 GB RAM may consider 12-core mac pro configuration (approx $14,847.00 american).  however, poser may still function adequately on less RAM.  YMMV

Poser Pro 2010 does not give me any problems at all and I am using it on the same mashine so that is very strange.

PP2010 also renders very fast compared to slow PP2012

I rather stop using Poser than buying 12 cores for the price of a small car lol

Raindroptheelf ( ) posted Fri, 30 September 2011 at 12:22 PM

Ok,I just checked on the SM Side to see what requierments there are to run Poser Pro 2012 and I copied it to show here.

This is for my iMac 10.6.8 Snow Leopard and I am, according to this , fine so PP2012 should not give me this grieve.

=======================================================

Mac: Mac OS X 10.5, 10.6, 10.7 , 1.5 GHz Intel Core processor (Core 2 Duo or faster recommended, 64-bit CPU required for 64-bit support, PPC supported for Queue Manager only), 1 GB system RAM (2 GB or more recommended), OpenGL enabled graphics card or chipset recommended (recent NVIDIA GeForce and ATI Radeon required for advanced real-time preview features), 24-bit color display, 1024 x 768 minimum resolution, 3 GB free hard disk space (5 GB recommended), DVD-ROM drive (physical product only), Internet connection required for Content Paradise, Adobe® Flash® Player 9 or newer (embedded library), Adobe® AIR® (external library), Hosting plugins require a valid English language installation of their respective host application: Maxon CINEMA 4D R10-13 (64 & 32-bit), Autodesk Maya 2010-2012 (64 & 32-bit), and NewTek LightWave 3D 9.6-10.1 (64 & 32-bit).

Turtle ( ) posted Fri, 30 September 2011 at 1:54 PM

Lion is very-very-Bad for Poser, I had to do a comelete reformat. The 64bit isn't a golden anwere either. If you run it your Poser Library goes outside the program to wait for use? The 32 bit you can leave it in Poser.

I most likely will still use 2010 untill I know 2012 better. What happen to the Geometries I don't see it anywhere in2012???

I wondered how you were doing Rain,Then I got you mixed up with bootz, wondered why she wrote back like I was weird. :O)

Bad Lion.

Love is Grandchildren.

Raindroptheelf ( ) posted Fri, 30 September 2011 at 4:18 PM

Quote - Lion is very-very-Bad for Poser, I had to do a comelete reformat. The 64bit isn't a golden anwere either. If you run it your Poser Library goes outside the program to wait for use? The 32 bit you can leave it in Poser.

I most likely will still use 2010 untill I know 2012 better. What happen to the Geometries I don't see it anywhere in2012???

I wondered how you were doing Rain,Then I got you mixed up with bootz, wondered why she wrote back like I was weird. :O)

Bad Lion.

When you install PP2010 it has a path given by default and that is ,for us mac users , the shared folder.

In that folder you find your actuall conten/Runtime with your Geometries,Libraries,Textures and that is where you install new stuff IF you want to install it into your PP2012.

I personaly work with external Runtimes.

Talking of external Runtimes I also have to say that PP2010 does not reconize the external Runtimes that I have on my external hard drive!

I love Snow Leopard and will run it until I hear that Lion got better.

Not at all impressed with PP2012 and shall work with PP2010 for now.

All iMacs are 64 bit by the way.

Hon,I am not at all well, have tests done ,blood and have to see my GP for it,I phoned today and they said it is not urgend,not all results are back but to come and see him coming week.

Also have to go for an Ultrasound of my upper abdomen.

Hugs

Petra

nobodyinparticular ( ) posted Fri, 30 September 2011 at 4:38 PM

Interesting, PP 2012 runs quite a bit faster  on my Windows 7 Home Premium econobox.  (2.3 gig dual core, 3 GB DDR2, 500GB HD. About 2 years old.)

Raindroptheelf ( ) posted Fri, 30 September 2011 at 5:38 PM

Quote - > Quote - Lion is very-very-Bad for Poser, I had to do a comelete reformat. The 64bit isn't a golden anwere either. If you run it your Poser Library goes outside the program to wait for use? The 32 bit you can leave it in Poser.

Bad Lion.

When you install PP2010 it has a path given by default and that is ,for us mac users , the shared folder.

In that folder you find your actuall conten/Runtime with your Geometries,Libraries,Textures and that is where you install new stuff IF you want to install it into your PP2012.

I personaly work with external Runtimes.

Talking of external Runtimes I also have to say that PP2012 does not reconize the external Runtimes that I have on my external hard drive!

I love Snow Leopard and will run it until I hear that Lion got better.

Not at all impressed with PP2012 and shall work with PP2010 for now.

All iMacs are 64 bit by the way.

Hon,I am not at all well, have tests done ,blood and have to see my GP for it,I phoned today and they said it is not urgend,not all results are back but to come and see him coming week.

Also have to go for an Ultrasound of my upper abdomen.

Hugs

Petra

Raindroptheelf ( ) posted Fri, 30 September 2011 at 5:41 PM

Quote - Interesting, PP 2012 runs quite a bit faster  on my Windows 7 Home Premium econobox.  (2.3 gig dual core, 3 GB DDR2, 500GB HD. About 2 years old.)

I run it on the 64bit mode on Snow Leopard * lion is bad * and the render speed is fine it is the slow loading up of objects  and other little things.

Good I have not uninstalled my beloved PP2010 yet.

grichter ( ) posted Fri, 30 September 2011 at 5:55 PM

I beta tested PP2012 under SL and now run production PP2012 on two different machines

one is on a Mac Book Pro with 4 gigs of ram where 100 percent of my content (runtimes) is on a 2 gig protable drive via 1394.(I travel a lot on business and take Poser with me almost everywhere)

The other is my Mac Pro where 100 percent of my content or runtimes is on a NAS system (which is a shared volume over bonded gig ethernet not 1394 or USB)

the Poser app is in the apps folder.

I tested both in 32 bit mode and 64 bit mode and nothing like the problems you are having. Something is not right. Have you checked your activity monitor when running poser or rendering to see if something else is grabbing cpu cycles, threads or ram?

Which Library are you running? are you rendering as a separate process and how many threads? Is the open GL preview shading on or off?

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

Raindroptheelf ( ) posted Fri, 30 September 2011 at 6:08 PM

Quote - I beta tested PP2012 under SL and now run production PP2012 on two different machines

one is on a Mac Book Pro with 4 gigs of ram where 100 percent of my content (runtimes) is on a 2 gig protable drive via 1394.(I travel a lot on business and take Poser with me almost everywhere)

The other is my Mac Pro where 100 percent of my content or runtimes is on a NAS system (which is a shared volume over bonded gig ethernet not 1394 or USB)

the Poser app is in the apps folder.

I tested both in 32 bit mode and 64 bit mode and nothing like the problems you are having. Something is not right. Have you checked your activity monitor when running poser or rendering to see if something else is grabbing cpu cycles, threads or ram?

Which Library are you running? are you rendering as a separate process and how many threads? Is the open GL preview shading on or off?

I agree, something can not be right here.

I have to check all you have mentioned and get back to you.

Thank you so very much for taking the time to help me out.

Petra

DgerzeeBoy ( ) posted Sun, 02 October 2011 at 1:19 AM · edited Sun, 02 October 2011 at 1:21 AM

Quote - Lion is very-very-Bad for Poser, I had to do a comelete reformat. The 64bit isn't a golden anwere either. If you run it your Poser Library goes outside the program to wait for use? The 32 bit you can leave it in Poser.

Huh? I'm on a 2.16 GHz Core2Duo iMac, I'm running PPro 2012 (64 bit) with Lion and also have none of the problems you're describing. In fact, it's faster than any version of Poser I've had and I've been using Poser since version2. My Poser library does not go "outside the program to wait for use." It's also very fast and smooth. Scrolling, drag and drop, etc. 

I did not, however, download PPro 2012. I installed from the CD. Not sure if that makes a difference in your resulting program.

Raindroptheelf ( ) posted Sun, 02 October 2011 at 4:14 AM · edited Sun, 02 October 2011 at 4:16 AM

Lion is not bad for Poser as such but I have heard that it is not good YET and other Poser version have not been compatible.

My Lirbraie stays inside Poser pro 2012 so I am not sure where the problem for Turtle comes from.

At the time I had Lion installed I was not aware and could not use Poser Pro 2010 any longer.

I might install Lion again once I am more at ease with Poser Pro 2012 though and got some more positive feedback about Lion.

DgerzeeBoy ( ) posted Mon, 03 October 2011 at 12:01 AM · edited Mon, 03 October 2011 at 12:03 AM

Poser versions previous to P9 and PPro 2012 are not Lion compatible. Although I was able to run P8 under Lion, it was a buggy pain in ther butt. However, (P9 and) PPro 2012 are completely Lion compatible. I'm liking it alot.

Raindroptheelf ( ) posted Mon, 03 October 2011 at 1:25 AM

I have no upgraded to Lion again and so far I like it.

We see,early days now and I have my ENTIRE Hard Drive as backup with my Time Mashine on an external HD.phewww * just in case *

grichter ( ) posted Mon, 03 October 2011 at 7:46 AM

Quote - Poser versions previous to P9 and PPro 2012 are not Lion compatible. Although I was able to run P8 under Lion, it was a buggy pain in ther butt. However, (P9 and) PPro 2012 are completely Lion compatible. I'm liking it alot.

Not to side track the thread. I am curious about one aspect of Lion. The ability to save as, has been removed in a lot of apps. I do that a lot. How you getting around that. It's one of the things that is keeping me from upgrading and the fact I am waiting for the new MacPros that are rumored to be coming in Q4

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

DgerzeeBoy ( ) posted Mon, 03 October 2011 at 6:24 PM · edited Mon, 03 October 2011 at 6:29 PM

Quote - Not to side track the thread. I am curious about one aspect of Lion. The ability to save as, has been removed in a lot of apps. I do that a lot. How you getting around that. It's one of the things that is keeping me from upgrading and the fact I am waiting for the new MacPros that are rumored to be coming in Q4

Great question. I've used the "save as" option a lot myself, especially in Poser. I'm glad to report that you can still "save" and "save as" in P9 and P Pro 2012 running Lion, which obviously means Lion will not automatically save Poser files for you. As always you'll need to remember to do so yourself.

Raindroptheelf ( ) posted Mon, 03 October 2011 at 6:38 PM

Yes, save and save as still works on Lion with Poser 9 and Poser Pro 2012.

grichter ( ) posted Mon, 03 October 2011 at 10:17 PM

Thanks for the save as replies. MasterCard all primed and ready for the new MacPro's to be released. But I fear the pro series desk top mac's are becoming an after thought vs selling a bazzilon iphones and ipads. (sigh)

Gary

estherau ( ) posted Mon, 03 October 2011 at 10:30 PM

Did I hear someone say new macpro?  where when?  what?

grichter ( ) posted Mon, 03 October 2011 at 10:43 PM · edited Mon, 03 October 2011 at 10:45 PM

MacRumors forums and or other news on their front page lean to Q4. Think it has to do with waiting for the newest intel chip to go into mass production. Seeing how Q4 started Oct 1 

lastest rumor

Recent Rumors

09/08: Sandy Bridge E Processors Suitable for Mac Pro Update Due November 15th?

16 cores :thumbupboth:

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac_Pro

Click on the 09/08 line to read the story

Gary

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Tue, 04 October 2011 at 9:17 PM

I am finding a lot the same issues and others in Poser Pro 2012 on my iMac, as well. Snow Leopard though.

estherau ( ) posted Tue, 04 October 2011 at 9:31 PM

Ghostofmacbeth what are your main issues. I am still in SN.

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Wed, 05 October 2011 at 1:10 PM

It seems sluggish, you have to click multiple times to change a value in the material room and the arrow expanding thing for the library doesn't seem to work (unless you have it set up to be external, which is annoying to me). Plus there is this weird ghost hand when trying to use the library.

Raindroptheelf ( ) posted Wed, 05 October 2011 at 1:55 PM

Quote - It seems sluggish, you have to click multiple times to change a value in the material room and the arrow expanding thing for the library doesn't seem to work (unless you have it set up to be external, which is annoying to me). Plus there is this weird ghost hand when trying to use the library.

This is exactley what Poser Pro 2012 is like on my iMac.

Sluggish and the Material room drives me up the wall in frustration:(

estherau ( ) posted Wed, 05 October 2011 at 7:38 PM

the only real problem I have had with the  library (I use internal) is that it doesn't scroll properly with my magic mouse.

I find switching from preview back to pose room slow unless I use lower preview settings eg no open GL shadows.

Love esther

Raindroptheelf ( ) posted Thu, 06 October 2011 at 12:53 AM

Well, I just love the Open GL settings that is one feature I really like.

I have my prev.settings I think at 528.

I hope an update will solve those problems. sighh

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.