Sun, Sep 22, 4:21 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 10:49 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Paint in Photoshop

shannonsuzanne ( ) posted Sat, 03 December 2011 at 7:21 PM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 4:19 AM

Can anyone direct me to a tut or book or website that teaches one to paint the bright comic book like colors that I see other artists doing in Photoshop?  Do they have like super cool pastel paints or something?  I'm not sure how to explain what I'm looking for.    There is an artist in this page at DAZ http://www.daz3d.com/i/3d/new_user?home_btn=explore named Shannon Maer that makes paintings like I want to do.  I've just never been able to achieve the colors and haven't had luck with much online tutorials.  Any suggestions?

It's not a tutorial on painting I want really, rather just how to achieve these colors.  :)

archdruid ( ) posted Sun, 04 December 2011 at 8:05 AM

Colours... I am not sure what you mean but, Filters and Adjustments are very powerful tools to get the kind of effects most people want for "Comic book" or Manga style colours and effects.. like rotogravure and/or Sepia and Gold tone.

One very important thing, is what Mode you are operating in... if you are in RGB, you have limited the span of colours you can use.. similarly, if you limit to, say, web colours, it limits your choices.. cmyk has both advantages and disadvantages... each mode has a purpose.. example.. cmyk is basically for printing digitally, and your options and colours are limited to your printer profile.

Also, in Mode... you have options for 8, 16, 24 32.. and so-on spectrums of colour.. this has an effect on the span of colours you can use, as well.

Tutorials.. I think you will find that the major portion deal with the overall How-to, rather than the nuts and bolts of things like, How to get specific colours.

One thing I would recommend, is to play a bit with the Contrast/Brightness/Saturation/Luminance controls, in Adjustments, not in the colour picker.

I hope this has been of some help, at least. Lou

"..... and that was when things got interestiing."

charpix ( ) posted Thu, 08 December 2011 at 2:39 PM

Go to Swatches, click the little arrow down, and you'll get Pantone and all kinds of others to choose from. It's limitless.  Make sure your color window is up, and it will come up under the menu "Window,", and click on swatches to have them appear.

shannonsuzanne ( ) posted Sat, 10 December 2011 at 3:05 PM

Thanks I will try these... :)

ShannonBGFX ( ) posted Fri, 16 December 2011 at 4:11 PM

Hi Shannon,

The answer to your question is a bit different then you may expect.  An attractive color is really a combination of colors.  My first true relalation of this was when I was admiring the color of the purple Luna Wine bottle. I found it to be so beautiful that I wanted to use the color in my paintings. After some trial and error, the answer was that there was no singular purple color in it that made it beautiful. It reflected various purples, pinks and blues. You can achieve this by treating your digital work as if it was oil, and blending the colors together after you have put them down on the "canvas".  This also tends to move towards that pastel color you are looking for so long as you have your hights in there.  Adding white to a color makes it pastel, and having color variations that complement each each, makes it ready as an attractive color. Find a sample (art or photo) with a color you really like. Use the color sampler in PS and see how the surrounding colors have vaules outside of that exact hue. This means that they will exist on different plains, not just one color that gets darker and lighter. tru creating a 3 dimentional spehere. Make it grean and let it get darker as it moves towars the outer edge. Now, make the outer most part of it a deep blue that disipates into the green as it moves toward the center. This can come across as a singular beautiful color.  Good luck Shannon!

karl.garnham1 ( ) posted Sun, 08 January 2012 at 8:20 AM

Here are some Books you may be interested in

Digital Manga

Digital Manga Workshop(if you live near a shop called the works get it from them retail price is normally £17.96 I got a copy from them for £2.99 i don't know if that offer is still on mind you)

The Monster Book of Manga

The Monster Book of Manga Boys

The Monster Book of Manga Girls

Manga Mania

Digital Manga All about Fighting (I got this for 99p at the works normal price is probably around 8 Pounds.)

The Complete Guide to drawing Manga

Shojo Manga

Shonen Manga

Stan Lees How to make Comics

There are a lot of books I haven't mentioned but these are all good to and here are some mags you might like to try

Imaginefx

Advanced Photoshop

and

Photoshop user.

Hope This Helps

Karl

shannonsuzanne ( ) posted Sun, 08 January 2012 at 2:26 PM

rimce44 ( ) posted Wed, 18 January 2012 at 11:19 PM

You might be also interestin in this comicartists

sassyprint ( ) posted Wed, 22 February 2012 at 12:30 PM

The site you pointed to seems to be mimicking deeper art forms like oil painting. Just like was already said, color isn't just one digital hue described by a hex-code. Oil painting have such a unique look because they colors are semi-transparent. It's the same thing with hair (why CGI hair is so hard to do), there's a transparency that is so much a part of the color. In PS you'll need layers, like everyone was saying. Play with the filters and textures to bring out the depth of the colors you're looking for.

I print my posters here with convenience

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.