Wed, Sep 18, 12:56 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Freestuff

Welcome to the Freestuff Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, RedPhantom, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Freestuff F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 17 4:48 pm)

Welcome to the Freestuff Forum. The Freestuff Forum is intended for all  freestuff related postings within our community. This is a highlight area where our membership is invited to review, announce and give feedback in greater detail on various freestuff items offered.  Members can also post wishes of freestuff items they would like to see.

Notice: Links to offsite 'For Sale' items will be removed

Renderosity Free Stuff Area

Free Stuff Gallery

Free Stuff Guidelines

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: EZSkin for Poser Pro 2012 and Poser 9

Snarlygribbly ( ) posted Wed, 21 December 2011 at 3:39 AM · edited Sun, 15 September 2024 at 12:51 PM

EZSkin is a free Python script to convert texture sets to an SSS shader-based version. It works with many figures.

It is available as part of the Antonia Christmas Giveaway party, and also as a direct download

Free stuff @ https://poser.cobrablade.net/

cspear ( ) posted Wed, 21 December 2011 at 4:16 AM

I'm looking forward to trying this later today... from the User Guide it sounds pretty good!

Windows 10 x64 Pro - Intel Xeon E5450 @ 3.00GHz (x2)

PoserPro 11 - Units: Metres

Adobe CC 2017

Risika75 ( ) posted Wed, 21 December 2011 at 10:41 AM

Thanks!

fonpaolo ( ) posted Wed, 21 December 2011 at 11:53 AM

Many thanks! :biggrin:

ghostman ( ) posted Wed, 21 December 2011 at 12:10 PM

Thank you.  😄

"Dream like you'll live forever. Live like you'll die tomorrow."

Join PoserLounge Chat

Porthos ( ) posted Wed, 21 December 2011 at 1:08 PM

Thank you and Merry Christmas! :)

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 12.0GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 7770

PoserPro 2012 (SR1) - Units: Metres , Corel PSP X4 and PSE 9

PilotHigh ( ) posted Wed, 21 December 2011 at 4:24 PM

THANKS!

lundon_Don ( ) posted Thu, 22 December 2011 at 8:58 AM

Thanks, Snarlygribbly. Works great.

Do you plan to add additional supported figures, or possibly a way for the user to do so?

nruddock ( ) posted Thu, 22 December 2011 at 9:28 AM

Quote - ... or possibly a way for the user to do so?

Which would be easy if the source was available (seems strange to licence it via new BSD but not include the source).

Michael314 ( ) posted Thu, 22 December 2011 at 10:48 AM

Hi,

thanks a lot for this convenient script! I feel that I will use it a lot. Now there should be no more excuse to create renders with bad skin shaders.

I'm curious about the "avoid nose reflection" option. How would you exclude single objects (or even part of an object, as the nose is often not a separate body part)from reflection? I briefly looked at the generated mc6's with / without this option ticked, but could not relate any difference to a nose specific setting.

Best regards,

Michael

Michael314 ( ) posted Thu, 22 December 2011 at 11:37 AM

(playing a bit more with it)

I have a funny effect. I'm using EZskin on the "William" texture set (http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/william-for-m4/68080), and depending on the starting shader settings (packaged pz2 which installs plain maps for diffuse and bump) and a manually implemented SSS version with one of the shaders posted at RDNA, I get different results despite same EZskin settings.

The most obvious difference to me is the treatment of the bump map (my setting was "prefer bump map" in both cases.

When I start from the plain pz2 file which comes with the package, the bump map is plugged into "gradient bump" and the procedural bump into "bump".

When I start with the SSS shader, the bump map is plugged into the blender node which goes into the regular "bump" channel.

Best regards,

Michael 

meltz ( ) posted Thu, 22 December 2011 at 11:40 AM

Thanks so so much this is amazing!  Hey is there a thread or gallery where people can post there renders with this program to show some of the work its producing ? Would love to check that out =-)

Michael314 ( ) posted Thu, 22 December 2011 at 11:50 AM

file_476557.jpg

Hello,

I'm posting the results I got:

First a render of the William texture with my own attempts of an SSS shader - you see it is a bit pale and waxy.

Michael314 ( ) posted Thu, 22 December 2011 at 11:52 AM

file_476558.jpg

This is the result I get when I run EZSkin on top of the existing SSS shader - definitely a major improvement!

The highlights look much more realisitic and the skin is less waxy.

Michael314 ( ) posted Thu, 22 December 2011 at 11:53 AM

file_476559.jpg

Hello,

now the result when I run EZSkin on the plain texture maps (the setting which came with the original distribution). I expected the same result, but it looks a lot different.

meltz ( ) posted Thu, 22 December 2011 at 12:29 PM

Nice i like the second render!

DgerzeeBoy ( ) posted Fri, 23 December 2011 at 12:42 AM · edited Fri, 23 December 2011 at 12:43 AM

Wow, this is very generous. Thanks, Snarly.

Snarlygribbly ( ) posted Fri, 23 December 2011 at 3:30 AM

Quote - Thanks, Snarlygribbly. Works great.

Do you plan to add additional supported figures, or possibly a way for the user to do so?

Included in the package is a 'figure_mats.py' script. If you run that against an unsupported figure and send the output to me then I can add support for the figure.

Snarlygribbly ( ) posted Fri, 23 December 2011 at 3:34 AM

Quote - When I start from the plain pz2 file which comes with the package, the bump map is plugged into "gradient bump" and the procedural bump into "bump".

EZSkin doesn't support gradient bump yet. I'll make sure it does in the next update.

Snarlygribbly ( ) posted Fri, 23 December 2011 at 3:46 AM

Quote - > Quote - ... or possibly a way for the user to do so?

Which would be easy if the source was available (seems strange to licence it via new BSD but not include the source).

I agree, it is strange. It's a long story though, but the gist of it is that Mrs. Snarly wanted me to sell it, I wanted to give it away for free.

The compromise was to give this version away for free and let people share it, sell it or do whatever they might want to do with it, but for me to retain the option to make a commercial version in the future.

I'm not really interested in making a commercial version so in all likelihood I'll release the source code at some point, perhaps after Mrs. Snarly has seen her Christmas present :-)

Snarlygribbly ( ) posted Fri, 23 December 2011 at 5:55 AM

Quote - I'm curious about the "avoid nose reflection" option. How would you exclude single objects (or even part of an object, as the nose is often not a separate body part)from reflection? I briefly looked at the generated mc6's with / without this option ticked, but could not relate any difference to a nose specific setting.

Well spotted!

Some background: EZSkin is a generic solution designed to work with a wide range of figures so I've had to make some compromises which I wouldn't need to make if it was designed to work with a specific figure.

One of these compromises was where to put the eye reflections. I decided to put them on the cornea material as most figures didn't have the 'eyetrans' material that our beloved DAZ gen 4 figures do.

The cornea, though, is often very rounded and the sides pick up the reflection of the nose! This doesn't seem to happen when the reflections are on the eyetrans material, presumably because it is somewhat flatter.

Anyway, what EZSkin does if the 'Avoid nose' option is ticked is to change the 'Ray bias' value of the reflection so that ignores anything within a few inches. That avoids the eyes reflecting their own facial features but still allows them to reflect everything else.

So you're right - it's not just the nose, but that happens to be the only facial feature that typically gets reflected in the cornea.

Michael314 ( ) posted Fri, 23 December 2011 at 11:01 AM

Hi,

thanks a lot, yes, this explanation is plausible!

Best regards,

Michael 

RGUS ( ) posted Fri, 23 December 2011 at 1:35 PM

Thanks very, very much... most useful!

Haruchai ( ) posted Fri, 23 December 2011 at 1:59 PM

Quote - I'm not really interested in making a commercial version so in all likelihood I'll release the source code at some point, perhaps after Mrs. Snarly has seen her Christmas present :-)

You crack me up :biggrin:

Poser Pro 11, DAZ Studio 4.9

ima70 ( ) posted Fri, 23 December 2011 at 4:11 PM

I use some old figures and some modified ones, and I'd like to use it on them, thanks a log for the this great tool.

flibbits ( ) posted Fri, 30 December 2011 at 10:48 PM

Hiro 3 not supported???

featherwitch ( ) posted Sat, 31 December 2011 at 8:00 AM

Yep, another Snarly masterpiece! Love it!  :o)

meltz ( ) posted Mon, 09 January 2012 at 2:15 PM

Love this its the best. Quick question. I have applyed the ezskin on my figure. Now if i import the figure into a new scene do i have to re-do the ezskin? or is it still loded onto the figure?

Thanks and really this is the best!

Snarlygribbly ( ) posted Mon, 09 January 2012 at 5:49 PM

You have to redo it*, but you can save the settings and reload them so that you don't have to remember all the choices you made.

And thank you :-)

• unless you saved the figure as a PZ3 scene file and are importing it from that, in which case it should retain all the materials.

RGUS ( ) posted Mon, 09 January 2012 at 6:44 PM

Just a question to 'Snarlygribbly' (man! that's a name and a half... LOL)... has version 1.5 been released yet, I saw an image in the gallery using your script and they said it was with version 1.5... or does the link above take you to the latest version?

It's a most perfect add-on for any skin. Thanks so much! 

jancory ( ) posted Tue, 10 January 2012 at 7:35 AM

lost in the wilderness

Poser 13, Poser11,  Win7Pro 64, now with 24GB ram

ooh! i guess i can add my new render(only) machine!  Win11, I7, RTX 3060 12GB

My Freebies

Snarlygribbly ( ) posted Tue, 10 January 2012 at 8:19 AM

Quote - Just a question to 'Snarlygribbly' (man! that's a name and a half... LOL)... has version 1.5 been released yet, I saw an image in the gallery using your script and they said it was with version 1.5... or does the link above take you to the latest version?

It's a most perfect add-on for any skin. Thanks so much! 

The link above will always get you the latest official version, which is currently v1.6

RGUS ( ) posted Tue, 10 January 2012 at 11:26 AM

Thanks Snarlygribbly... I just couldn't see the wood for the trees!

Gareee ( ) posted Sat, 14 January 2012 at 1:50 PM · edited Sat, 14 January 2012 at 1:57 PM

First let me thank you for this generous release.

If there a way to just tinker with it on simple prop?

I imported a simple mesh, popped it into the setup room and back again so poser thought it was a figure, but the script erors on it.

I suppose I could load a supported figure, copy the material from it, and then paste it on the simple prop, bu tI figured there might be a way to test it out on things like the geometric props PPro 2012 comes with easily.

EDIT: It appears I'm having some problem running the script here. I'm getting this error message when I try to run it:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "L:Poser developmentEZSkinEZSkin.py", line 1773, in
  File "L:Poser developmentEZSkinEZSkin.py", line 281, in init
  File "L:Poser developmentEZSkinEZSkin.py", line 308, in UpdateLibrary
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'C:3DPoser Pro 2012RuntimePythonposerScriptsScriptsMenu/ezskin.xml'

I'll search here and see if I can find a solution. (I tried it on James casual.)

Way too many people take way too many things way too seriously.

Snarlygribbly ( ) posted Sat, 14 January 2012 at 3:00 PM

Hi Garee.

I've posted an update to fix this:

http://snarlygribbly.org/misc/ezskin/EZSkin.pyc

That's just the actual script file (v1.6.1) so that you don't have to download the whole package.

EZSkin has an internal database of figueres, with a mapping from each of the figure's material zones to one of EZSkin's built-in shaders. You can add to the database by adding figures and mapping info to the ezskin.xml file.

So, you could create a figure (as you did) and then add it to the XML file. EZSkin should then run successfully on it. The full download package includes an example XML file to get you started.

jancory ( ) posted Sat, 14 January 2012 at 4:14 PM

thanks for the fix, snarly. i'd just run into the same missing xml today but figured it was just me being thick. runs fine now.

lost in the wilderness

Poser 13, Poser11,  Win7Pro 64, now with 24GB ram

ooh! i guess i can add my new render(only) machine!  Win11, I7, RTX 3060 12GB

My Freebies

Gareee ( ) posted Sat, 14 January 2012 at 4:24 PM

Awesome! I thought it was me being stupid.

Way too many people take way too many things way too seriously.

ACue ( ) posted Mon, 16 January 2012 at 9:17 AM

Just a quick note to say thanks for the wonderful script. It's a great contribution to the community, and helping to breathe new life in many Daz and Poser figures. I'm having a lot of fun exploring the script's capabilities.  

Here's a link to render and acknowledgement I posted earlier today.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=2290171

Cheers!

Snarlygribbly ( ) posted Mon, 16 January 2012 at 6:41 PM

Thanks Acue! It's very rewarding for me to see the script being used to good effect.

Also, let's not forget the contribution made by Bagginsbill, whose shader is at the heart of EZSkin.

mrmagic333 ( ) posted Mon, 23 January 2012 at 3:56 AM

I tried to use this but it keeps telling me I don't have a figure selected, even though I have selected the figure (Victoria 4) . It's the only thing in the scene, no clothes, hair, etc.

The ezskin.xml just has an entry for "@DAZGEN3", I tried adding one for "@Victoria4" but same error.  Can someone let me know if I need to do anything else? thanks

Tools: Poser Pro 2012 64 Bit + Visa/Paypal

meltz ( ) posted Mon, 23 January 2012 at 2:19 PM

Snarly a quick question. The figure im using the ezskin on has a pale almost white skin texture. But after i apply the ezskin and render she comes out more "normal" skin color looking. Is there a setting that is doing this or could it just be my lighting?

Thanks this is a great script =-)

Snarlygribbly ( ) posted Mon, 23 January 2012 at 7:03 PM

Quote - I tried to use this but it keeps telling me I don't have a figure selected, even though I have selected the figure (Victoria 4) . It's the only thing in the scene, no clothes, hair, etc.

The ezskin.xml just has an entry for "@DAZGEN3", I tried adding one for "@Victoria4" but same error.  Can someone let me know if I need to do anything else? thanks

I have to admit I'm at a loss as to why this is happening. I've tried to replicate your problem and not been able to. Victoria 4 was the very first figure to be supported by EZSkin and doesn't need an entry in the ezskin.xml file.

I really don't know what to suggest. Perhaps a screenshot of the preview room showing Victoria 4 selected and EZSkin's error message would give me a clue, because at the moment I cannot think of any reason for EZSkin to fail to recognise the selected figure!

Sorry :-(

Snarlygribbly ( ) posted Mon, 23 January 2012 at 7:06 PM

Quote - Snarly a quick question. The figure im using the ezskin on has a pale almost white skin texture. But after i apply the ezskin and render she comes out more "normal" skin color looking. Is there a setting that is doing this or could it just be my lighting?

Thanks this is a great script =-)

It seems to me that all skin textures are a little more saturated after applying SSS (at least, with this particular SSS shader). It's probable that it is more noticeable on a pale skin though.

I'd suggest using the HSV control on the advanced page to compensate.

Because I've seen this under varying lighting conditions I suspect it's not your lighting that's doing it.

mrmagic333 ( ) posted Tue, 24 January 2012 at 12:57 AM

file_477733.jpg

> Quote - I really don't know what to suggest. Perhaps a screenshot of the preview room showing Victoria 4 selected and EZSkin's error message would give me a clue, because at the moment I cannot think of any reason for EZSkin to fail to recognise the selected figure! > > Sorry :-(

Hi Snarlygribbly,

thanks for the reply.  Here is a screenshot of the error:

Also, I tried it again but with just the v4.2++ base model and it worked ok. So I think it probably has something to with this v4 model (its a v4 with RM Elaine morphs/mats applied)

Snarlygribbly ( ) posted Tue, 24 January 2012 at 3:45 AM

Ah, but this is a very different error message, so it all starts to make sense now!

There is a big difference between not having a figure selected ("it keeps telling me I don't have a figure selected", you said) and having an unsupported figure selected :-)

With the EZSkin distribution was a script called 'figure_mats.py'. Select your rogue Victoria figure and run that script and let me see the out put (post here or email to the address in the EZSkin licence file).

With that information I'll be able to tell you how to add support for the Elaine character.

mrmagic333 ( ) posted Tue, 24 January 2012 at 9:33 AM · edited Tue, 24 January 2012 at 9:34 AM

oh ok, sorry about that. I misread the error. Anyways here is the output from running the script. So I need to add an entry to the xml file? what would I put for the @ name? thanks

Figure name: Victoria4
Object file: blMilWom_v4.obj

'Class' : {
"1_EyeSocket" : "ignore",  "1_Eyebrow" : "ignore",  "1_Lip" : "ignore",  "1_Nostril" : "ignore",  "1_SkinFace" : "ignore",  "2_Nipple" : "ignore",  "2_SkinHead" : "ignore",  "2_SkinHip" : "ignore",  "2_SkinNeck" : "ignore",  "2_SkinTorso" : "ignore",  "3_Fingernail" : "ignore",  "3_SkinArm" : "ignore",  "3_SkinFoot" : "ignore",  "3_SkinForearm" : "ignore",  "3_SkinHand" : "ignore",  "3_SkinLeg" : "ignore",  "3_Toenail" : "ignore",  "4_Gums" : "ignore",  "4_InnerMouth" : "ignore",  "4_Teeth" : "ignore",  "4_Tongue" : "ignore",  "5_Cornea" : "ignore",  "5_Iris" : "ignore",  "5_Lacrimal" : "ignore",  "5_Pupil" : "ignore",  "5_Sclera" : "ignore",  "6_Eyelash" : "ignore",  "7_EyeSurface" : "ignore",  "7_Tear" : "ignore",  "Preview" : "ignore",  }

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 24 January 2012 at 11:21 AM · edited Tue, 24 January 2012 at 11:22 AM

The numbers off the material zones seem to be the culprit.  Snarly, is it possible to use * to recognize any different extensions before and after the proper material zones designations? For example:skinface

Snarlygribbly ( ) posted Tue, 24 January 2012 at 11:50 AM

Attached Link: EZSkin 1.6.2 (script only)

Thanks for that info.

Rather than have you edit the XML file, I've updated EZSkin to support the version of V4 that you're using. That way anybody else experiencing the same issue can download the new version too.

You can either download the whole EZSkin package again (same link as before) or just download the updated script file from the attached link.

mrmagic333 ( ) posted Tue, 24 January 2012 at 11:42 PM

Hi Snarlygribbly,

thanks for the update and the fix. I just tested it and it works very nicely.  The render output after using this script is amazing. Thanks again, this script is awesome!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.