Mon, Sep 23, 5:28 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 23 2:16 pm)

Subject: Another Newbie question : Difference between conform to and Magnetize

sixsigma1978 ( ) posted Wed, 04 January 2012 at 1:02 PM · edited Mon, 23 September 2024 at 5:26 PM

I'm having difficulty understanding the difference between these two concepts.Should we have to Magnetize clothing if a piece of clothing already conforms-to an object? 

Also - can someone further explain this to me in terms of dynamic clothings? Is magnetize clothing needed when conform-to for dynamic clothing is performed? Please help!

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 04 January 2012 at 1:27 PM

Magnetizing conforming clothes make it fit a little better without the annoying pokethroughs.  If conforming works right out the box then you may not need to magnetize.  However, if pokethroughs ensue after conforming, applying the magnetize feature will make the conform clothing fit better. 

Magnetize does not work on dynamic clothing.  This type of clothing is only applied in the Cloth Room where you run a multi-frame simulation to dress your figure.  Think of it as dropping a sheet on a person; the sheet takes on the form of the posed figure.

basicwiz ( ) posted Wed, 04 January 2012 at 1:32 PM · edited Wed, 04 January 2012 at 1:34 PM

While not an expert in these matters, perhaps I can state it in simple terms and concepts.

Conformed clothing has bones built into it that match the bones in the underlying character. When you conform one item to another, you are telling the bones in the cloth to mimic what is going on in the base character.

V4 is a mess in that to make some of the conformers work right the designers had to add a large number of tiny magnets to her body to make some of the changes in shape. To make the clothing track THOSE changes, one must apply the V4 magnets to the clothing. This is peculier to V4 and not required in most other characters that I know about.

Dynamic clothing has no bones of of their own. They are simply shapes. You pose the character fully zeroed and load the dynamic garment on top of it, making sure that there is no poke through ANYWHERE. If there in pokethrough, you must adjust the figure so that the poke through is resolved in frame 1. Next, go to frame 30 and fully pose your figure. Note that the dynamic clothing will not bend with it. This is completely normal.

Call up the cloth room. Click the option to create a new simulation. Take the defaults in the beginning. As you have problems, the other options become important. Select the item to clothify. Next, select the objects (body parts) to colide against. This would be every body part that will touch the clothing item when it is shaped to the character.

Once you do this, run the simulation. You'll see a very slow animation of the figure going from the zero position to the posed position. The clothing should be following it.

When you render, render frame 30.

There's a pot-load more to all of this, but this is the basic concept. Hope it is of some help.

sixsigma1978 ( ) posted Wed, 04 January 2012 at 1:45 PM

@**hborre and @**basicwiz

****Thanks - I get the gist of it. This clears the cobwebs around which to use when - which makes all the difference. As to **basicwiz's points, IF I understand correctly, the entire onus of fixing the pokethrough's reside with the developer - This would have a more realistic effect than magnetizing clothing- but ALSO would take a heck of a lot more time as well. Would both of these be an accurate assumption? **

basicwiz ( ) posted Wed, 04 January 2012 at 1:49 PM · edited Wed, 04 January 2012 at 1:49 PM

I'm not a content developer, so I can't make an informed comment on this.

I do know that I prefer the morph tool to magnets for fixing poke through in the images I create.

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 04 January 2012 at 2:05 PM

Keep in mind, developers will support most common morphs available to particular figures.  Pokethroughs occur when extreme posing or custom morphs are inherent to the original figure.  In which case, magnets might alleviate or fix the problem completely.  The workaround would be to introduce custom morphs to the clothing item with a 3rd party program or post work in a 2d program.

markschum ( ) posted Wed, 04 January 2012 at 2:38 PM

Conformers make the clothing match the figures rigging , the skelton and joints are identical in both.  To make the figure look better when bent the deleopers added magnets to morph the figure slightly. Magnetise pose s4ets these magnets to affect the clothing as well as the figure, so with clothing conformed and magnetised it should bend exactly the same as the figure.

This only applies to the V4, m4 figures. V3 did not have magnets, they used joint controlled morphs.

Pokethrough happens when the figure and the clothing do not deform identically, and that can be caused by the obj mesh itself.

sixsigma1978 ( ) posted Wed, 04 January 2012 at 3:29 PM

I see - one last question on the magnetizin - are magnets (im new to this) generic for all clothing or does individual clothing set needs to provide a magnetizer to work correctly with the target figure?

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 04 January 2012 at 4:54 PM

All clothing will not have magnets as part of their modelling.  Only the characters markschum mentioned have generic magnets, although DAZ does sell magnet sets for their Generation 3 figures which also help with conforming clothing.

markschum ( ) posted Wed, 04 January 2012 at 5:00 PM

The magnetize clothing pose will work on all conforming clothing.  If you have several V4 in the same scene you need to know which V4 you want to magnetize, thats why you have several poses, the figure number changes.  

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.