Sun, Oct 6, 11:24 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: SSS in Poser 8

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 07 January 2012 at 8:07 PM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 9:02 AM

file_477192.jpg

I used it on her eyes and hair. The glow around her is done in post. The background is Sparkyworld's prop.

I wanted to give her eyes a glow that gave off light, but I think this is really cool as is.

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Sat, 07 January 2012 at 8:30 PM

Be interested to see the shader, Rokket. 😄

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 07 January 2012 at 8:52 PM · edited Sat, 07 January 2012 at 9:05 PM

I'll see about posting it then. It's pretty basic. I redid the eye texture maps in GIMP, then added the SSS node in the material room. I didn't adjust anything except making all the default colors white, so that the yellow in the eyes came through. That, and I only applied the SSS to the iris of each eye.

Let me see if I kept the Poser file... 😊

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 07 January 2012 at 9:08 PM

file_477194.jpg

Here you go. I just clicked on Add Subsurface Scattering then changed it to what you see here. As I said, I changed her eye color in GIMP...

Winterclaw ( ) posted Sat, 07 January 2012 at 9:12 PM

That's using fastscatter which is in p7 as well.  It's a faked version of SSS.  If it were trus SSS then SM wouldn't have bothered adding 3 scatter nodes in P9.

WARK!

Thus Spoketh Winterclaw: a blog about a Winterclaw who speaks from time to time.

(using Poser Pro 2014 SR3, on 64 bit Win 7, poser units are inches.)

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 07 January 2012 at 9:27 PM

All I know is that it is called 'Add Subsurface Scattering' in the Poser 8 Material Room. I like the effect. I've never tried to use it in Poser before. I usually add in glowing eyes post render.

Winterclaw ( ) posted Sat, 07 January 2012 at 9:34 PM · edited Sat, 07 January 2012 at 9:36 PM

file_477195.jpg

This is rendered in PP12.  Which one has the best SSS of the three?

WARK!

Thus Spoketh Winterclaw: a blog about a Winterclaw who speaks from time to time.

Winterclaw ( ) posted Sat, 07 January 2012 at 9:37 PM

SSS shouldn't make anything glow.  Ambient should make things glow.

WARK!

Winterclaw ( ) posted Sat, 07 January 2012 at 10:29 PM

file_477202.jpg

Oh.

Good.

Grief.

WARK!

hborre ( ) posted Sat, 07 January 2012 at 11:36 PM

I am noticing an active Diffuse_Color/Value with a node also connected to alt_diffuse.  That combination causes a multiplied effect, may account for the glow.   I usually use the ambient channel for that type of effect.

hborre ( ) posted Sat, 07 January 2012 at 11:39 PM

file_477205.jpg

Like so.

Anthanasius ( ) posted Sun, 08 January 2012 at 3:44 AM

Fastscatter is not a real SSS, just a fake. You need to use it only with mapped shadows.

Génération mobiles Le Forum / Le Site

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 08 January 2012 at 7:48 AM

You have found a way to make glowing eyes, and if you had used that as the title of your thread, I'd have nothing to say.

SSS is not "glowing". It's the natural form of diffuse reflection in almost every thing in our world. It is the way we normally form an image of the things around us. Specular reflection is how we know the detail texture, not the shape.

Most scatter has a very short mean free path and so it is tolerably simulated in CG with the Lambertian diffuse reflection model, i.e. the old Diffuse node we all know and love.

The new Scatter node is a superior implementation in every way. The old FastScatter node is not even a tolerable implementation of scattering or diffuse reflection. It was introduced in Poser 5, and then almost immediately completely broken in Poser 6. It has remained as an utterly useless implementation ever since. I wrote many threads about it, and so did face_off. Except for a few rare and 10-year-old scenarios, it is the same as ambient. It glows.

I'm OK with people making up new meanings for words at home. Not in a forum. It confuses people, and there is already far more confusion around here than I am comfortable with.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

Winterclaw ( ) posted Sun, 08 January 2012 at 8:50 AM

hborre, I plugged a fastscatter node into the root node (alt diffuse) to make that toon effect.  Nothing else was in the root and only a color map was in the fastscatter.

So at least it'd be good for a simple toon shader if you don't like poser's built in one.

WARK!

rokket ( ) posted Sun, 08 January 2012 at 9:37 AM

file_477216.jpg

> Quote - You have found a way to make glowing eyes, and if you had used that as the title of your thread, I'd have nothing to say. > > SSS is not "glowing". It's the natural form of diffuse reflection in almost every thing in our world. It is the way we normally form an image of the things around us. Specular reflection is how we know the detail texture, not the shape. > > Most scatter has a very short mean free path and so it is tolerably simulated in CG with the Lambertian diffuse reflection model, i.e. the old Diffuse node we all know and love. > > The new Scatter node is a superior implementation in every way. The old FastScatter node is not even a tolerable implementation of scattering or diffuse reflection. It was introduced in Poser 5, and then almost immediately completely broken in Poser 6. It has remained as an utterly useless implementation ever since. I wrote many threads about it, and so did face_off. Except for a few rare and 10-year-old scenarios, it is the same as ambient. It glows. > > I'm OK with people making up new meanings for words at home. Not in a forum. It confuses people, and there is already far more confusion around here than I am comfortable with. > >  

Actually, BB, all I said was SSS in Poser 8. I called it that because that was how the tab was labelled in the Material Room. Sorry if I am creating confusion. I am still learning all this stuff, and get excited when I can pull off what I am attempting.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 08 January 2012 at 10:09 AM

SM put that wacro there erroneously and now it causes the confusion. The new version of that button does something completely different. The old version was wishful thinking. I explained all this with demos at RDNA but I cannot find the post.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 08 January 2012 at 10:11 AM

Just so you know, I object to every button there except remove detached nodes. They all do things that I teach against.

rokket ( ) posted Sun, 08 January 2012 at 10:23 AM

I see. Well, this was the first time I attempted to do anything with them. As I stated, I am still learning, and I am a hands-on learner. You could explain something to me until you are blue in the face, but until I actually touch it, I won't get it. I am saving my nickels and dimes for Poser 9. I am on a 32 bit machine, so Pro 2012 would be a waste of money for me. It's strickly 64 bit, right?

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 08 January 2012 at 11:08 AM

No it is also 32.

rokket ( ) posted Sun, 08 January 2012 at 11:49 AM

Cool... I am going to have to get it. In the meantime, I am going to have to organize myself. I have too many things going on at once, and I am not getting anything done. I am trying to learn how to model with Wings3D, Blender, Sculptris, trying to create characters, learn animation, learn the Materials room, walk designer, talk designer, the animation pallete.... all at once. Too much at the same time and I am overloading...

Time to make a list and stick to it... learn from the ground up. I think I will start with modelling...

vilters ( ) posted Sun, 08 January 2012 at 1:39 PM

@rokket

I admire your motivation and respect your will to learn.

Testing, and trying and asking questions.

Yes, a priority "todo" list helps staying on track.

PP2012 is both, 64 and 32 bit, while Poser9 is only 32 bit.

But the fast forward way you are going, and the creative intentions you have, it would be wise to go for PP2012.

Keep up the spirit man.

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

vilters ( ) posted Sun, 08 January 2012 at 1:46 PM

@rokket (2)

A sugestion if I am alowed
When I look at your first picture here in the post?
You say you did the yellow "glow" around her in postwork.
OK, the effect is there, but it makes the actual figure rather dark.

I would put ambient everywhere on the figure, hair and clothing also, to make the figure glow also and blend in with the postwork glow.

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

rokket ( ) posted Sun, 08 January 2012 at 1:56 PM · edited Sun, 08 January 2012 at 1:56 PM

Quote - @rokket (2)

A sugestion if I am alowed
When I look at your first picture here in the post?
You say you did the yellow "glow" around her in postwork.
OK, the effect is there, but it makes the actual figure rather dark.

I would put ambient everywhere on the figure, hair and clothing also, to make the figure glow also and blend in with the postwork glow.

The figrure is dark because the lighting used in the scene was dark. Yeah, I get what you mean. I usually don't render the figure and the background props in the same scene to allow me to do visual effects as I see fit on the separate elements, but I did this one with her in the scene with the props. The yellow glow was an after thought. I can see where adding ambient on her would brighten her up and make the whole thing look more natural (as natural as a figure who is supposedley living fire can be).

On to the world of 3d CG education.... :blink:

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Sun, 08 January 2012 at 2:21 PM

I hope someone has already pointed you in the direction of BlenderCookie, Rokket. I found it the best fast-track learn mechanism in Blenderdom, even though almost all of their tools are videos (which I don't learn from as well as pdfs).

Good ON you for sticking with it - I can see you're going to be the force to be reckoned with: you've got that weasel in your tummy. :biggrin:

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

rokket ( ) posted Sun, 08 January 2012 at 5:35 PM

Thanks. I learn pretty good from videos as long as the instructor is telling me step by step how he is achieving the model. The problem I have with Blender is all the hotkeys. I wish it was more like Wings, which I am getting used to. I am still a ways off from making my own meshes, but I am getting there. I want to use Blender because it's a lot more powerful, and I can create some really cool scenery with it.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.