Tue, Oct 1, 5:09 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 01 3:49 pm)

Subject: OT - Will PIXAR have another Hit Movie with John Carter?

jerr3d ( ) posted Wed, 25 January 2012 at 7:09 PM · edited Mon, 30 September 2024 at 7:25 PM

"Pixar has produced twelve feature films, beginning with Toy Story in 1995...Eleven of the films have received critical and financial success."

The film John Carter, based on Edgar Rice Burroughs' Martian series is due out in a few weeks.

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 25 January 2012 at 7:33 PM

But John Carter is a live action film by Disney.  Heavily CGed, but Disney just the same.

Paul Francis ( ) posted Wed, 25 January 2012 at 7:35 PM

I saw a trailer for "John Carter", and a gigantic floor-standing poster/3D cutout type-thing last week when I went to see "War Horse" at a digital cinema here in the UK; I never even knew the film was upcoming.  The trailer absolutely blew me away, I can't wait to see the film.  The use of an orchestral version of Led Zeppelin's "Kashmir" in the soundtrack is a touch of genius.  It looks absolutely stunning.  I feel a Dejah Thoris render comng on....!

My self-build system - Vista 64 on a Kingston 240GB SSD, Asus P5Q Pro MB, Quad 6600 CPU, 8 Gb Geil Black Dragon Ram, CoolerMaster HAF932 full tower chassis, EVGA Geforce GTX 750Ti Superclocked 2 Gb, Coolermaster V8 CPU aircooler, Enermax 600W Modular PSU, 240Gb SSD, 2Tb HDD storage, 28" LCD monitor, and more red LEDs than a grown man really needs.....I built it in 2008 and can't afford a new one, yet.....!

My Software - Poser Pro 2012, Photoshop, Bryce 6 and Borderlands......"Catch a  r--i---d-----e-----!"

Eric Walters ( ) posted Wed, 25 January 2012 at 9:04 PM

Sounds great! I read those stories as a kid

Winterclaw ( ) posted Wed, 25 January 2012 at 10:11 PM

Pixar is just about to release Brave, and has another project or two in the pipeline.

WARK!

Thus Spoketh Winterclaw: a blog about a Winterclaw who speaks from time to time.

(using Poser Pro 2014 SR3, on 64 bit Win 7, poser units are inches.)

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Wed, 25 January 2012 at 11:27 PM

Attached Link: http://disney.go.com/johncarter/

the trailer is not bad, however this is more like the dreamworx film archetype IMVHO.  it's not the disney animation model that pixar has obeyed for the last 15 yrs.  Y7 demographic may not wanna see it.

DustRider ( ) posted Thu, 26 January 2012 at 12:24 AM

Other than the same parent company, Disney, the only relationship between the John Carter film and Pixar is that the John Carter film producers no doubt used PRman (Pixar Renderman) to render the CG animation. I doubt that Pixar had any more involvement with this film than they did with Avatar (CG primarily rendered with PRman as well), produced by Weta. I've got to agree, looks like a great film!!

Pixar's next big film Brave, will hit the theaters in June, and looks to be the same family friendly style/format that we come to expect from them.

My Rendo Gallery ........ My DAZ3D Gallery ........... My DA Gallery ......

Paul Francis ( ) posted Thu, 26 January 2012 at 1:35 AM · edited Thu, 26 January 2012 at 1:41 AM

Quote - Other than the same parent company, Disney, the only relationship between the John Carter film and Pixar is that the John Carter film producers no doubt used PRman (Pixar Renderman) to render the CG animation. I doubt that Pixar had any more involvement with this film than they did with Avatar (CG primarily rendered with PRman as well), produced by Weta. I've got to agree, looks like a great film!!

Pixar's next big film Brave, will hit the theaters in June, and looks to be the same family friendly style/format that we come to expect from them.

The director of "John Carter" Andrew Stanton also directed Pixar's "Wall-E" and "Findng Nemo" - I did just get that from Wikipedia though, so who knows...:)

My self-build system - Vista 64 on a Kingston 240GB SSD, Asus P5Q Pro MB, Quad 6600 CPU, 8 Gb Geil Black Dragon Ram, CoolerMaster HAF932 full tower chassis, EVGA Geforce GTX 750Ti Superclocked 2 Gb, Coolermaster V8 CPU aircooler, Enermax 600W Modular PSU, 240Gb SSD, 2Tb HDD storage, 28" LCD monitor, and more red LEDs than a grown man really needs.....I built it in 2008 and can't afford a new one, yet.....!

My Software - Poser Pro 2012, Photoshop, Bryce 6 and Borderlands......"Catch a  r--i---d-----e-----!"

jerr3d ( ) posted Thu, 26 January 2012 at 2:15 AM

Quote - The director of "John Carter" Andrew Stanton also directed Pixar's "Wall-E" and "Findng Nemo" - I did just get that from Wikipedia though, so who knows...:)

My initial quote was from a Wikipedia article, which referenced a Rotten Tomatoes critics review which in turn referenced a Wikipedia article...

Dale B ( ) posted Thu, 26 January 2012 at 5:36 AM

Pixar -did- have the rights.....when they were planning to toss Disney and go it alone. Guess that changed.

Sigh.

Yet another of the sword and barbaraian genre to be mutilated. Keep in mind that people ran around essentially naked for about half of the JCoM book. We'll see how they adapted things...... 

ksanderson ( ) posted Thu, 26 January 2012 at 9:41 AM

Both Disney and Pixar have John Lasseter in common. He's director and the chief creative officer at Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios. So I imagine he had/has some input.

jerr3d ( ) posted Thu, 26 January 2012 at 9:53 AM

An abbreviated history of Pixar would be that Steve Jobs bought Pixar from George Lucas for $5 million in 1986, and then sold Pixar to Disney for $7 billon in 2006.

nobodyinparticular ( ) posted Thu, 26 January 2012 at 2:16 PM

Quote - the trailer is not bad, however this is more like the dreamworx film archetype IMVHO.  it's not the disney animation model that pixar has obeyed for the last 15 yrs.  Y7 demographic may not wanna see it.

Yeah, had to tell my son who wrote the John Carter series. And he knows that there are now craft orbiting and running around on Mars. I liked the books, but the premise is quite dated. I'm surprised this is being done.

The film industry seems uninterested in the fact that older people have more money than teenagers. Oh, probably because we have less tolerance for being served garbage.

Saw the trailer, great special effects. But I tend not to be impressed with that. The dialogue seemed rather mundane, the story one that has been done numerous times. After a series of disappointments, not sure if I want to spring for another 3D movie.

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 26 January 2012 at 2:30 PM

The trailers are quietly making their rounds now.  Originally, the title was to be John Carter of Mars, but that was dropped, at least, 2 months ago.  I have a feeling that Disney a being very cautious with this film.  If it does well, then you might see future sequels.  But, who are we kidding, this is the year of The Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises.

jerr3d ( ) posted Thu, 26 January 2012 at 2:46 PM

Oh, and let's not forget, this is actually Disneys' second "Burroughs" movie. The 1999 animated Tarzan made a half billion dollars!

SamTherapy ( ) posted Thu, 26 January 2012 at 4:49 PM

It's a bit of a simplification to say Pixar was sold to Disney.  Due to the placement of several key Pixar staff, it's just as easy to say Pixar changed their name to Disney, or Pixar took over Disney but kept the name.  There's more than a grain of truth in all three versions.

In any event, JC, AFAIK, ain't a Pixar branded movie.

BTW, what was the flop?  I know critics didn't think much to Cars but it was a popular movie.  If my little boy is anything to go by, it's the best movie ever made.  :)  His sister, however, prefers Up.  But then, she's only 11 months old.  :D

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

JohnDoe641 ( ) posted Thu, 26 January 2012 at 8:42 PM

The flop was Cars2. It didn't get nominated for anything and got low scores on some websites but as a merchandising movie, it did amazing. :p

SamTherapy ( ) posted Thu, 26 January 2012 at 8:45 PM

Ah.  Come to think of it, I didn't see much of it at the time, except for the toys (which Samuel is accumulating at a rapid rate).

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Thu, 26 January 2012 at 9:54 PM

I'm gonna see the carter movie anyway, but if they wanted to make something that wasn't so risky, they coulda made the kid-friendly cartoon version of those martian stories.  just think of all the commercial tie-ins, parodies of botched martian spacecraft missions, marvin the martian et al..  it could be like another "cars" franchise.  they can put their creativity on auto-pilot and keep churning those "cars" movies out for years.

jerr3d ( ) posted Thu, 26 January 2012 at 10:23 PM

file_477843.png

Is it just me or does the Disney version of Dejah Thoris look like a Xena Warrior Princess escapee?

meatSim ( ) posted Thu, 26 January 2012 at 11:45 PM

FLOP!?!?!

My son would slap you in the face for such blasphemy!!!  :P

the only flop is at the end of the day when he and his brother both flop onto the ground exhausted from racing each other around the living room for the billionth lap of the day.

in all seriousess though.. by my standards (can I tolerate it after a couple of weeks)  cars 2 is OK!

Quote - The flop was Cars2. It didn't get nominated for anything and got low scores on some websites but as a merchandising movie, it did amazing. :p

Larry F ( ) posted Fri, 27 January 2012 at 12:59 AM

Having read nearly everything by Edgar Rice Burroughs (Hey, I was "inoculated as a kid) I have to say I'm glad to see it actually being made. Probably have to reserve judgement, but literally dozens of crappo Tarzan movies have been made and one has to consider the CG capabilities these days can make it at least LOOK good.

Frankly, I have always been (not so) secretly in love with "The Incomparable Dejah Thoris" and abjectly fascinated by the thought of some day seeing glorious thoats and fearsome banths (my favorite fictional beast of ANY genre) galloping and roaring across the screen.

Whether it is "good" or not probably doesn't matter so much to the producers, only the "take", which I hope is good, but perhaps not too/too, such that they might realize a top line director (No disrespect to this one) and at least a reasonably good script would make further efforts feasible.

Plus, there's some great characters in that whole "Of Mars" ethos, Tars Tarkas, et al.

I'll see it.  Only been waiting 60 years. Fingers on all 4 hands crossed.

Paul Francis ( ) posted Fri, 27 January 2012 at 2:52 AM

Quote - Having read nearly everything by Edgar Rice Burroughs (Hey, I was "inoculated as a kid) I have to say I'm glad to see it actually being made. Probably have to reserve judgement, but literally dozens of crappo Tarzan movies have been made and one has to consider the CG capabilities these days can make it at least LOOK good.

Frankly, I have always been (not so) secretly in love with "The Incomparable Dejah Thoris" and abjectly fascinated by the thought of some day seeing glorious thoats and fearsome banths (my favorite fictional beast of ANY genre) galloping and roaring across the screen.

Whether it is "good" or not probably doesn't matter so much to the producers, only the "take", which I hope is good, but perhaps not too/too, such that they might realize a top line director (No disrespect to this one) and at least a reasonably good script would make further efforts feasible.

Plus, there's some great characters in that whole "Of Mars" ethos, Tars Tarkas, et al.

I'll see it.  Only been waiting 60 years. Fingers on all 4 hands crossed.

I pretty much agree with all of the above! As for Dejah Toris in the photo above - hubba-hubba!

pakled ( ) posted Fri, 27 January 2012 at 9:30 PM

Best of all, the books are on the web, and free; Project Gutenberg, etc., has 'em. I have found more than a resemblance between the first few John Carter books and John Norman's Gor series (for example; Chessmen of Mars vs. Players of Gor...;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Larry F ( ) posted Sat, 28 January 2012 at 8:57 AM

Attached Link: The Art of Barsoom

Some visual interpretations for the uninitiated.

JQP ( ) posted Sat, 28 January 2012 at 11:52 AM

Is it just me or does the Disney version of Dejah Thoris look like a Xena Warrior Princess escapee?

Whatever happened to women who look like the type of women who found their way onto the covers of the type of novel in question?  You know...feminine...curves...boobs...

Now all Hollywood seems to use is square-jawed Amazons with fake boobs, or no boobs, angles instead of curves, broad shoulders instead of femininity...

ksanderson ( ) posted Sat, 28 January 2012 at 12:35 PM

She looks very feminine in the previews!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.