Sat, Oct 5, 9:31 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:08 am)

Subject: Hair Room... How to save settings for re-use?

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Sun, 12 February 2012 at 11:26 AM · edited Sat, 05 October 2024 at 9:30 AM

A pretty simple question, from a Hair Room neophyte:

I have created a particular hair setting in the Hair room that I would like to be able to apply to other items than the one I created it for.

Is there a specific way to do this? Something like saving shader settings for the Material room?

RosemaryR
---------------------------
"This...this is magnificent!"
"Oh, yeah. Ooooo. Aaaaah. That's how it starts.
Then, later, there's ...running. And....screaming."

Cage ( ) posted Sun, 12 February 2012 at 1:03 PM

I don't think there's a built-in way to do this, aside from saving the hair object which has the desired settings and reloading it to manually copy the settins to any new hair, later.  A Python script might be able to save all the desired settings to a text file, then reload the settings to apply to another hair set at need.  No such script currently exists, to my knowledge, but it wouldn't be a difficult one to make.

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Sun, 12 February 2012 at 9:31 PM

Ah well.  That's what I was thinking would be the case.  Thanks, though!

RosemaryR

Cage ( ) posted Sun, 12 February 2012 at 9:36 PM

If you'd like a script, I can put one together, but tonight I'm lacking in free time.  :sad:

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

CaptainMARC ( ) posted Mon, 13 February 2012 at 4:55 AM

If you could do this whenever time allows, it would be brilliant!

PhilC has done something similar for the cloth room and that is a real timesaver.

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Mon, 13 February 2012 at 9:39 AM

Oooh!  Yes, please!

Thank you so much for the offer, Cage!  No hurries...I am still doing beginning explorations, and have no immediate projects that I need to do, so I can wait.

RosemaryR

Cage ( ) posted Mon, 13 February 2012 at 11:19 AM · edited Mon, 13 February 2012 at 11:20 AM

I'll see what I can come up with.  IIRC, they've given Python access to most of the user settings in the Hair Room.  No access to the styling tools, but that shouldn't be needed, since those are interface-dragging tools rather than numerical inputs.

Cage ( ) posted Mon, 13 February 2012 at 3:35 PM

file_478508.txt

This seems to be working.  Someone might want to test it on a temp scene from which nothing will be lost if there's an error.

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Mon, 13 February 2012 at 9:30 PM

I'll give it a shot in the morning, when I get back from work.

Thanks!!

RosemaryR

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Tue, 14 February 2012 at 11:46 AM

Okay.  Here's the results of my first test.

The script does seem to save the settings okay (saves to a .phs file) in a location of my choosing.

I then deleted the original prop, added a new item, went to the Hair Room to designate part of it's material as a new hair growth group.  I then called the script, selected the 'load settings' option, etc.

But nothing happened and this error message showed up:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "E:Program FilesSmith MicroPoser 9RuntimePythonposerScriptshair_settings1b.py", line 211, in
run()
File "E:Program FilesSmith MicroPoser 9RuntimePythonposerScriptshair_settings1b.py", line 122, in run
load_settings(g,group)
File "E:Program FilesSmith MicroPoser 9RuntimePythonposerScriptshair_settings1b.py", line 156, in load_settings
group.SetNumbPopHairs(int(settings[k]))
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'SetNumbPopHairs'

What's my next move? (Don't be too mad if I messed up a step... much of this is very new to me.  I may very well have skipped something obvious.)

Thanks for taking the time on this.

RosemaryR

Cage ( ) posted Tue, 14 February 2012 at 2:04 PM

Quote - What's my next move? (Don't be too mad if I messed up a step... much of this is very new to me.  I may very well have skipped something obvious.)
Thanks for taking the time on this.

Oh dear.  :scared:  Let me try to recreate that situation.

Cage ( ) posted Tue, 14 February 2012 at 2:37 PM

file_478535.txt

Sorry about that.  Forgot to subtract the one.  :scared:  :lol:

I encountered the same error and was able to fix it.  Hopefully this revision will work now.

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Wed, 15 February 2012 at 10:42 AM

file_478557.jpg

Success!

I used that last script, and turned Andy into a Cousin It wanna-be.

Now I can start saving all my good experimental hair settings for later use and re-use.

Thank you tremendously, Cage!  That was most kind and generous of you to do!

RosemaryR

Cage ( ) posted Wed, 15 February 2012 at 10:59 AM

Happy to help!  :laugh:  Sorry that first release had a bug.  I forgot to subtract the one, y'see.  :lol:

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Wed, 15 February 2012 at 11:31 AM

Hehe.  Those pesky little ones!  

It's all good! 

RosemaryR

rjjack ( ) posted Sun, 11 March 2012 at 12:51 AM · edited Sun, 11 March 2012 at 12:51 AM

Thank you Cage for this little script who save a lot of time

RedPhantom ( ) posted Tue, 20 March 2012 at 9:20 PM
Site Admin

is anyone else having trouble with this script moving the hair groups? I mean I've heard of fly aways but...

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

Cage ( ) posted Tue, 20 March 2012 at 9:30 PM

Quote - is anyone else having trouble with this script moving the hair groups? I mean I've heard of fly aways but...

That's a weird one.  :scared:  The script does nothing with parenting or positioning.  It just sets the hair-specific variables which are settable via Python.  Why that should make the hair move is... a bit mysterious.  😕

RedPhantom ( ) posted Tue, 20 March 2012 at 9:34 PM
Site Admin

could the fact that the skullcap isn't at zero position?

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Tue, 20 March 2012 at 9:34 PM

The only time I've seen anything like that, is when I've made the supporting prop  dynamic also (I've been working on furred clothing pieces).  

Occassionally, when I've got too much going on the program looses track of what goes where.

But never when the supporting item is static, as your hair would currently appear to be in the screenshot.

RosemaryR

Cage ( ) posted Tue, 20 March 2012 at 9:56 PM

Quote - could the fact that the skullcap isn't at zero position?

Umm.  Possibly?  Whatever is happening here is a Poser oddity, not something the script is overtly causing.  At least as far as I understand things.  Possibly when dynamic hair settings are altered the affected hair groups will jump to their default world space location, regardless of the positioning of their parent object.  That's my only guess about what's happening, at the moment.  If that's what has happened, then the problem is somewhat similar to what I've seen when trying to use dynamic hair with a morphed skullcap prop.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Wed, 21 March 2012 at 6:17 AM
Site Admin

I'll try moving the skullcap to position 0 and seeing what happens. What's even more weird is that when I ran a simulation after it was moved, the hair moved just like it should, forming around a head just like the head was there instead of lower.

pitklad ( ) posted Mon, 04 February 2013 at 3:45 AM

This script is perfect! thanks so much for it Cage!

Poser should had the option to create-load hair and cloth presets already, I hope this update will be included in the future versions till then this script is a huge time saver! :thumbupboth:

My FreeStuff

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Tue, 05 February 2013 at 6:37 PM

woww!  Thanks!

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Sat, 09 February 2013 at 12:28 PM · edited Sat, 09 February 2013 at 12:30 PM

Attached Link: http://www.sharecg.com/v/27296/Software-and-Tools/Dynamic-hair-converter

Just a little something for those users of Poser's hair room that like to render in other programs:  This item converts Poser's line geometry based hair (from .obj, .pp2, .hr2, and .cr2 files) into actual 3d flat strands, usable in other 3d programs that read obj files.

The person who pointed this out to me tested it in Bryce, Vue, and Daz Studio... I tested it myself in Bryce.  

The product does need tweaking of the variables (root width and tip width), and a good texture/transparency map, but it expands the rendering possibilities for people.

Note: Windows only, I'm afraid...

RosemaryR

pitklad ( ) posted Thu, 28 March 2013 at 12:09 PM

Has anyone created hair presets for this script to share?

My FreeStuff

RedPhantom ( ) posted Thu, 28 March 2013 at 4:57 PM
Site Admin

Not yet. Didn't know if anybody would be interested. I didn't know if anybody would be interested where the hair room seems to be one of the more avoided areas in Poser.

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Thu, 28 March 2013 at 9:46 PM

Attached Link: Fur hats for M4

I have a number of presets that I made.  I suppose that I can get them packaged up and posted at ShareCQ this weekend.   

But if you already have the scripts, try extracting from my Fur hat freebie at ShareCQ... several of my more useful ones are already there...  shaggy goat, sleek short sable, long sable are there. 

RosemaryR

Believable3D ( ) posted Thu, 31 July 2014 at 8:09 PM

Quote - Success!

I used that last script, and turned Andy into a Cousin It wanna-be.

Now I can start saving all my good experimental hair settings for later use and re-use.

Thank you tremendously, Cage!  That was most kind and generous of you to do!

Rosemaryr, I know this thread is very old, but I just saw it today. I really like the hair materials you worked up for that render. Is that something you would be willing to share? I'm fairly happy with where I've come with materials for dynamic hair, but this is another step up from what I've got and I'd love to study it.

Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X/MSI MAG570 Tomahawk X570/Zotac Geforce GTX 1650 Super 4GB/32GB OLOy RAM

Software: Windows 10 Professional/Poser Pro 11/Photoshop/Postworkshop 3

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Thu, 31 July 2014 at 9:45 PM

Attached Link: Fur Caps

I have a couple of the hair settings inside some of my freebies over at ShareCQ:

Fur Caps for M4 has a couple, and Fur Capelet has another.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/63011/gallery/11/Poser/Fur-Caps-for-M4

http://www.sharecg.com/v/60288/gallery/11/Poser/Dynamic-Fur-Capelet-for-M4

but I could also package up all the other ones, also, and post them.  Look for them this weekend or so.

(But you will need Cage's script, of course, to apply them.  grin)

RosemaryR

Believable3D ( ) posted Thu, 31 July 2014 at 11:31 PM

Thanks, Rosemaryr. I'm a bit confused why I would need Cage's script in order to apply a material setting....

Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X/MSI MAG570 Tomahawk X570/Zotac Geforce GTX 1650 Super 4GB/32GB OLOy RAM

Believable3D ( ) posted Thu, 31 July 2014 at 11:42 PM

Hm. Pretty sure none of those fur hats are using the materials you had on Andy in your "Cousin It" post, which is what I was referring to.

Believable3D ( ) posted Thu, 31 July 2014 at 11:45 PM

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Fri, 01 August 2014 at 9:29 AM · edited Fri, 01 August 2014 at 9:35 AM

Quote - I'm talking about this image.

Yes, I know which one you were interested in.  That one, indeed, isn't in the fur caps sets; I was just pointing to them for a few that were already available.  

Cage's script is needed for saving and loading pre-made Hair room settings, not for use in the Material room.  The settings are not for color, but for the waviness, clumpiness, stiffness, etc., all the settings that take time to experiment with.  I wanted a way to save what I had already done, so I didn't have to repeat myself each time.  

(And they are named in a very idiosyncratic way [to help me remember the 'look' each gives: BearFur, CurlyBeard, Ermine, KarakulLamb, SealSkin, SmoothStraight, Superplushy, etc.)

RosemaryR

Believable3D ( ) posted Fri, 01 August 2014 at 9:33 AM

Yes, I'm aware what Cage's script is for (which is useful). But I wasn't asking about those sorts of settings, just the material settings of the image in question....

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Fri, 01 August 2014 at 9:36 AM

(Cross-posted!  Sorry!)

Oh. Okay.   I 'think' that was the default hair color, but I could check....

RosemaryR

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Fri, 01 August 2014 at 11:47 AM

Yes, I double-checked.  I used the default material that the hair comes in at, for that image.  I was just playing with the Hair room settings, not the materials, for that pic.

RosemaryR

Believable3D ( ) posted Fri, 01 August 2014 at 10:40 PM

Okay, thanks. Odd. There's a lot of colour variation there that I've never seen from default settings. I'm confident that my present materials are considerably better than the default materials in most situations.

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Sat, 02 August 2014 at 9:52 AM

I think any variation in the coloring is due more to the lighting and rendering settings... not the actual hair material.   

RosemaryR

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.