Tue, Oct 1, 5:44 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 01 3:49 pm)

Subject: Bodypaint, what is it and I would like to look at it.

keyze ( ) posted Thu, 23 February 2012 at 11:36 PM · edited Tue, 01 October 2024 at 5:37 PM

A seller here says his product works directly as a brush in Bodypaint.  He or she makes no reference as to what or where it is, just that it works with it.  Is it something like Blacksmith?  I though if it worked it might be nice..  Please tell me.  Dumber than a rock and looking for a easy way out and if this worked it could be used on all my peeps.  Thanks

Been looking at blacksmith as well have any of you used it and found it speeded things up or just another program you need to learn.

MC3D ( ) posted Fri, 24 February 2012 at 12:02 AM · edited Fri, 24 February 2012 at 12:14 AM

file_478842.jpg

Hello Keyze,

Bodypaint 3D is like Deep paint 3D( wich i use) it is a program that lets you paint or paste photos directly onto your 3d model. It corrects the scales of the model. That means you dont have streched pores on for instance the nose. All the scales are the same. It is hard to learn, i have included a sample, (Click on it to see it better,there is SSS in the picture) but if you look at the nose you'll see nice and tiny pores.  

You can texture the whole head/body 360 degrees. So you can also paint or paste photos on top of the head,back sided etc.

MC3D ( ) posted Fri, 24 February 2012 at 12:03 AM

file_478843.jpg

And here you can see a view from the back

MC3D ( ) posted Fri, 24 February 2012 at 12:08 AM

file_478844.jpg

And this is how the head uv layout looks after youre done with the texturing

pjz99 ( ) posted Fri, 24 February 2012 at 12:58 AM

Bodypaint is Cinema 4D.  Here, go try it.

My Freebies

lmckenzie ( ) posted Fri, 24 February 2012 at 2:43 AM

You can get BodyPaint as a part of C4D or separately.

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

vintorix ( ) posted Fri, 24 February 2012 at 2:47 AM · edited Fri, 24 February 2012 at 2:47 AM

You don't want Bodypaint. Trust me. It can do everything mc3d says, but is extremly hard to learn. It will take you several months just to get started. You are talking to one who are used to learn a new programming language over the weekend. Imagine yourself tied and blindfolded in a dark room. That is how it feels to get started with Bodypaint. I only learned it because I always persevere like an idiot.

MC3D ( ) posted Fri, 24 February 2012 at 3:06 AM

Quote - You don't want Bodypaint. Trust me. It can do everything mc3d says, but is extremly hard to learn. It will take you several months just to get started. You are talking to one who are used to learn a new programming language over the weekend. Imagine yourself tied and blindfolded in a dark room. That is how it feels to get started with Bodypaint. I only learned it because I always persevere like an idiot.

Yes it is hard to learn, but i played with BP3d and its not much harder than Deep Paint 3D, only it uses a 3d environment. You can get far by using freeze3D.

vintorix ( ) posted Fri, 24 February 2012 at 3:29 AM · edited Fri, 24 February 2012 at 3:38 AM

" i played with BP3d and its not much harder than Deep Paint 3D.."

Well I have to take your word for it as I don't have Deep Paint. But I know only one person in the world that can Deep Paint 3D properly and that is the Mec4D, the maker of the best and most beautiful and realistic figures of all of Renderosity's half a million members.

Perhaps you are a sister? ;)

MC3D ( ) posted Fri, 24 February 2012 at 3:53 AM

No, i dont know mec4D. 

Both have bridges to photoshop so you can do much more. Bodypaint is not bad at all, but i need to play a bit more with it to see how it works. 

MC3D ( ) posted Fri, 24 February 2012 at 3:59 AM

I made a quick texture in Body paint 3D to see how it looks in poser, hang on and ill show you

MC3D ( ) posted Fri, 24 February 2012 at 4:06 AM

file_478845.jpg

this is what ive done very quick in the demo version of bodypaint 3d

pjz99 ( ) posted Fri, 24 February 2012 at 4:12 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains profanity

Quote - You don't want Bodypaint. Trust me.

What the fuck dude, FREE DEMO, I think the guy can judge for himself.  Don't go around telling people not to learn things, I mean seriously what the fuck?

My Freebies

vintorix ( ) posted Fri, 24 February 2012 at 4:16 AM · edited Fri, 24 February 2012 at 4:23 AM

"No, i dont know mec4D."

Too bad, I have a zillion questions I'd like to ask of her!

Bodypaint has a very confusing interface and what's complicate the situation further is that there are four(4) different tools crammed together into the same user interface. Cinema 4D's ordinary 3d tools (not all of them though), the 2D painting tools, the 3D painting tools and the UV manipulation tools. There is not obvious what is what. Moreover there are many different modes, some change without asking displaying only very subtle signs that something is happening. Needless the say, there are no proper documentation.

Based on interviews and of what I have read at CG Society I do think that Bodypaint is more powerful though.  Even if you can paint and paste directly from all directions you still don't know how it will look like after rendering. Raybrush Render View allow you to see that, working on a small area it can render and show the result of the painting in real time. Do Deep Paint 3D has something like Raybrush Render?

Edit:BTW Bodypaint UV tools are surpricingly nothing to write home about. You still need a dedicated UV program, like Hedaus UVLayout.

MC3D ( ) posted Fri, 24 February 2012 at 4:19 AM

No Dp3d dont have that at all, but i dont know what it does yet, and dp3d doesnt do uv, thats deep uv i believe.  But hey i think the outcome is somehow the same, both uses projection paint, even in zbrush you can do this.

vintorix ( ) posted Fri, 24 February 2012 at 4:30 AM

ZBrush 4R2 came with Spotlight texture projection which also allow you to paint in 3D space. Still it is a too coarse a method vs Bodypaint in Cinema 4D.

pjz99, it will take a too long time to test out Bodypaint, time that almost certainly will be wasted, Life is short art is long. Up to a point you most learn to rely and trust other people.

bantha ( ) posted Fri, 24 February 2012 at 6:57 AM

As pjz already said, there is a free demo which you can use to see if you get along with it. You should know that Bodypaint is an application aimed at the professional market, so have a look at the price before you spend too much time learning it. 

A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for.
Sail out to sea and do new things.
-"Amazing Grace" Hopper

Avatar image of me done by Chidori

wolf359 ( ) posted Fri, 24 February 2012 at 7:32 AM

like many pro apps, the provided documentation on BP is less than stellar in many areas

However there are many great third party tutorials  on getting started( often free).

you can google them or even ask in the C4D forum over at CG society.org

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

JAFO ( ) posted Fri, 24 February 2012 at 10:15 AM

i dont have bodypaint, i have DP3D though... theres a learning curve but if you stick with it  learn the environment , work on things that dont really matter much  for a little bit you'll catch on and wonder how you ever got by without it... i would spend the money again  with no hesitation.... if that means anything ....

:O)

Y'all have a great day.

pjz99 ( ) posted Fri, 24 February 2012 at 1:37 PM

Quote - Edit:BTW Bodypaint UV tools are surpricingly nothing to write home about. You still need a dedicated UV program, like Hedaus UVLayout.

What?  Bodypaint does LSCM and ABF unwrap, pinning, seriously what can it not do with UVmapping that you can do in a separate app?

My Freebies

LaurieA ( ) posted Fri, 24 February 2012 at 4:59 PM

And oddly enough, I don't even need UVLayout. I can get by with Roadkill and it does the job just dandy. But Paul's right - if it does LSCM and ABF unwrap AND pinning...what more do ya want? To each his own I guess.

I say if ya wanna use Bodypaint and you can afford it, go for it and good luck ;).

Laurie

vintorix ( ) posted Fri, 24 February 2012 at 5:56 PM

Yes. Recommend someone who appear to be a stark beginner a $1500 program that takes many man months to learn, Why not? Its going to be a classic along with beauties like,

"If you want to learn conforming clothing start with the group editor"

"Download and try all the programs and find out whats best for you"

During a long career in computers I've been on hundreds of forums and news sites.
The Poser forum is the first time I seen people actively misinform the newbies.

LaurieA ( ) posted Fri, 24 February 2012 at 6:03 PM

I don't think we've misinformed anyone.

Laurie

shvrdavid ( ) posted Fri, 24 February 2012 at 6:48 PM

No one mentioned Mudbox?

If you use Photoshop or anything from Autodesk I would go that route.

Some things are easy to explain, other things are not........ <- Store ->   <-Freebies->

pjz99 ( ) posted Fri, 24 February 2012 at 10:25 PM · edited Fri, 24 February 2012 at 10:27 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains profanity

Quote - Yes. Recommend someone who appear to be a stark beginner a $1500 program that takes many man months to learn, Why not?

Um dude THIS IS WHAT HE ASKED FOR

WHAT IS BODYPAINT

HELLO, READ THE THREAD TITLE

e: seriously it's like someone posted a thread titled "Tell me about Sweden, I would like to go to Sweden" and you replied "Oh man I spent 2 days in Stockholm and it sucked, nobody spoke English and I couldn't read any of the signs, fuck Sweden NEVER GO THERE"

My Freebies

JAFO ( ) posted Fri, 24 February 2012 at 10:48 PM · edited Fri, 24 February 2012 at 10:49 PM

...the weather started getting rough, the tiny ship was tossed.... if not for the courage of the fearless crew, the minnow would be lost....t h e  m i n n o w  w o u l d  b e   l o s t

that mans nuts....grab em

Y'all have a great day.

lmckenzie ( ) posted Sat, 25 February 2012 at 1:07 AM

Actually, it's $995.00 (direct from Maxon) or $696.50 competitive sidegrade which (according to one online shop) includes Bryce as a valid competive product and if you hurry, you can get Bryce free - just in the interest of accuracy Not cheap, but not $1500 either :-)

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

bantha ( ) posted Sat, 25 February 2012 at 3:04 AM

Ok, I think that every important information about Bodypaint was given. We know now what Bodypaint is, and some opinions about it. Since the last part is mostly fighting, I close this thread. Thank you.

A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for.
Sail out to sea and do new things.
-"Amazing Grace" Hopper

Avatar image of me done by Chidori

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.