Fri, Oct 4, 2:27 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 04 8:39 am)

Subject: Poser in Windows 8 question with configuration.

MikeMoss ( ) posted Sat, 10 March 2012 at 2:28 PM · edited Fri, 04 October 2024 at 12:22 PM

Hi

I know this is kind of off the wall since Windows 8 is a long way from release but maybe someone will have an idea.

I have installed Poser 9 in Windows 8.

It seems to work fine, but when I go into render settings and try to set my preferences for Preview Render it says, "Hardware Shading not supported" and my max texture display is only 1024.

This installation is on the same computer I'm running it in, in Windows 7.  When I launce it from Windows 7 it doesn't have these restrictions, same computer video drivers etc.

The other weird thing was that for some reason it didn't see my Runtime folder, I had to import it as a new folder, even though I had it placed in the Poser directory, same as my Windows 7 install.

Since then I discovered that I can run my Windows 7 install from Windows 8 without reinstalling it, so I uninstalled it in Windows 8. 

The same things happen in render properties even when I'm running it from there, but I don't have to import the my Runtime folder, it show up normally and it appears that all my other preference, i.e Screen Layout etc. are set the same.

And I have all my stuff without having to import it again.

Anyone have any ideas about the Hardware Shading and max texture size thing?

I'm thinking that I may have forgotten something that I did in Windows 7 when I set Poser up there.

Mike

If you shoot a mime, do you need a silencer?

Victoria_Lee ( ) posted Sat, 10 March 2012 at 2:39 PM

Because Windows 8 is in serious beta, it won't be supported by Poser yet.

Hugz from Phoenix, USA

Victoria

Remember, sometimes the dragon wins. Correction: MOST times.

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Sat, 10 March 2012 at 2:45 PM

Quote - Because Windows 8 is in serious beta, it won't be supported by Poser yet.

thats why to install poser on it and see what happens... to see what the issues are/will be.

right now I'm guessing file permissions (UAC enhancements?), graphic drivers are not 100% compatible with Win8/Hardware. also it could be how Poser calls the OpenGL (does Win8 support OpenGL? MS stopped at I think Standard 1?)

SAMS3D ( ) posted Sat, 10 March 2012 at 2:46 PM

Totally in beta, been testing it for about 2 weeks at work, like and Ipad/Tablet laying over an operating system.  Have tested some other applications also, and all seem pretty strong, even Zbrush works well, but have not tested every aspect.  Will test Poser 8 and up next week.

MacMyers ( ) posted Sat, 10 March 2012 at 2:50 PM

It's also a serious hunk of feces....Oh wait... that's EVERY VERSION OF WINDOWS SINCE THE DAWN OF TIME.

Windows 8 is a beta poopy and won't make it to fecal status for a year or so.  

“So, roll me further B_t__h!”

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Sat, 10 March 2012 at 2:58 PM

Quote - It's also a serious hunk of feces....Oh wait... that's EVERY VERSION OF WINDOWS SINCE THE DAWN OF TIME.

Windows 8 is a beta poopy and won't make it to fecal status for a year or so.  

thank you for that. anything useful to add? like I dunno, a rant about bill gates?

WandW ( ) posted Sat, 10 March 2012 at 4:29 PM · edited Sat, 10 March 2012 at 4:31 PM

My guess is that there isn't yet a Windows 8 openGL video driver for your card.  You might check the chipset manufacturer's website and see of there is a beta driver.

Quote - It's also a serious hunk of feces....Oh wait... that's EVERY VERSION OF WINDOWS SINCE THE DAWN OF TIME.

Windows 2000 was rather good.  Windows 7 isn't too bad, but it's really pudgy; Windows 2000 would run very well on a 500MHz machine with 256 meg of RAM, and I would install it in a 10GB partition wiithout any space problems. A shame there never was a 64-bit version, as it would have been wicked fast...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

MikeMoss ( ) posted Sat, 10 March 2012 at 6:05 PM

Damn I did it again, I typed my whole message and then left the page without posting it. 

You may be right about the OpenGL, I'll check it out.

I'm running the same video drivers in both Windows 7 and Wndows 8 and I'm not seeing any big problems with games or other software.

Even Adobe Premiere is running without a hitch.

As for Windows 8, as far as I can see, there is no reason for it on a PC.

The interface instead of making things easier, makes things harder.

I wish they would let me design an interface for Windows, it would look nice, be easy to read and easy use and everything would be on the first screen you get to.

I sat for 10 minutes the first time I booted it up waiting for something to happen, and looking at the time.

Those of you who are using it will know what I'm talking about! LOL

Mike

SAMS3D ( ) posted Sat, 10 March 2012 at 6:21 PM

Have you tried it on a touch screen monitor yet...that is interesting to use with some apps.  Not going to be a thing for me though, I do too much with the actual use of a pc, so the app thing can stay on my ipad for now.

MikeMoss ( ) posted Sat, 10 March 2012 at 11:26 PM

Hi

A touch screen monitor is the last thing I want.

That would actually involve lifting my hand off of my desk and moving my arm.

Wiggling my fingers enough to move the keys on the keyboard is taxing enough.

The next thing you know someone will suggest that I ride my exercycle that has sat in my rec room for years covered in dust, or worse yet actually walk around my yard.

Thinking about that tired me out I think I'll go take a nap.

Mike

MikeMoss ( ) posted Fri, 30 March 2012 at 10:14 PM

Hi

The Video Drivers were the issue.

The ones supplied by Microsoft don't support OpenGL.

Fortunately ATI has released drivers for Windows 8 and now everything works.

In fact I'm now using Windows 8 and my primary OS and have all my software up and running.

On my computer is noticeably faster then Windows 7.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

SteveJax ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2012 at 1:32 AM

I downloaded the beta but never bothered installing it since I don't have a touch screen monitor. I didn't see the point.

lmckenzie ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2012 at 6:08 AM

"As for Windows 8, as far as I can see, there is no reason for it on a PC."

*"In fact I'm now using Windows 8 and my primary OS and have all my software up and running." *

Sounds a bit contradictory? Next thing you know, people will be using - well, I won't go there :-)* *

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

MikeMoss ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2012 at 10:27 AM

Hi Imckenzie

I should really have said there is no reason for an interface like this on a PC.

As for Windows 8, I've changed my mind about it after using it for a while.

It's noticeable faster then Windows 7, boot time are like magic, a lot of stuff is easier to do once you figure out how it works.

Now when I go back and use Windows 7 it just seems slow.

And most of all, I found out how to work in it the same way I do in Windows 7 ignoring the horsey Start Screen.

Here's my Windows 8 desktop, it looks almost the same as my W7 desktop.

I don't have to use the start screen at all, I boot right to the desktop, and the links for everything are right there.

W8 Desktop

The only things I haven't been able to run are the Adobe CS 3 and 4 versions of all my graphics software, because Adobe security won't let my install them without unregistering them from Windows 7.  

So I've had to go back and use older versions of my Adobe software that aren't so fussy.

Mike

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.