Sun, Oct 6, 5:10 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / DAZ|Studio

Welcome to the DAZ|Studio Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Guardian_Angel_671, Daddyo3d

DAZ|Studio F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 2:10 pm)

Subject: OT runing a pc on it's side ? air clean power supply ?

RorrKonn ( ) posted Tue, 05 June 2012 at 12:51 AM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 5:02 AM

My power supply fan is hitting something and makes a agravating sound but if i set the PC tower over on it's side no agravating sound.

will it hurt a pc to run it on it's side ?

We are no supose to blow air in to the power supply , what happens if we do ?

hope to get a new power supply soon.

thanks

============================================================ 

The Artist that will fight for decades to conquer their media.
Even if you never know their name ,your know their Art.
Dark Sphere Mage Vengeance

FyraNyanser ( ) posted Tue, 05 June 2012 at 7:31 AM

As long as putting the PC on its side isn't blocking any air vents in the case it should not be a problem. However, you should probably ensure that the the motherboard is at the bottom—the screws or fastenings for the card slots at the top (this is how PCs were originally designed).

tom271 ( ) posted Tue, 05 June 2012 at 11:03 AM

I agree with above....  and It would be so easy to open your tower and just see what the fan was hitting...  it might be a quick fix with a screwdriver...

Just a thought..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RorrKonn ( ) posted Tue, 05 June 2012 at 11:57 AM

Atualy don't even need a screw driver ,guess ya could call them round wing nuts.

I've looked and looked and looked .flash lites ,held the pc every witch way.

but the power surpply in cased so I can't see all of it.

I'll get a new one soon as I can . Week or 2 or 3. I just don't want to brake nothing else till then.

============================================================ 

The Artist that will fight for decades to conquer their media.
Even if you never know their name ,your know their Art.
Dark Sphere Mage Vengeance

tom271 ( ) posted Tue, 05 June 2012 at 12:09 PM

sounds like a plan..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

superboomturbo ( ) posted Sat, 09 June 2012 at 5:39 PM

Just one other note for putting the case on its side. This isn't necessarily a must do, but if you have something to prop it up at the corners so it's not sitting directly on the ground, you may want to. Frynasyer is correct, as upright cases were actually the second design for home PC's. They were in fact originally designed as horizontal monstrosities. I don't think they cooled as well as an upright with correctly engineered vents, but I suspect the main idea was just to clean up the desk space they took up.

Anyhow, back to the point, your power supply should have a fan on it also if it's not terribly old. If you're technically apt to install a new one, try unplugging the fan (if it has one) first before replacing the whole unit. Fans tend to go hawwire first, mechanically, for maintenance parts before anything else, and they're cheap to replace. As a moving part in your PC that's on contantly when the power is on, they're somewhat expected to be replaced every 3-5 years.

crimsonworx.com; free ebooks and previews

I've bowed down to facebook: https://www.facebook.com/crimsonworx

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.