Sat, Sep 21, 10:38 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Bryce 5: Is it worth the upgrade?

Wampyir ( ) posted Sun, 02 September 2001 at 2:42 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 10:32 PM

Hi, all. I'm going to ask a blunt question: is it worth upgrading to Bryce 5 from Bryce 4? The only new features I've seen/read about are the tree editor and networking capability. I'm not running a network, and there are plenty of tree models out there, so other than those two features, what does Bryce 5 offer that Bryce 4 doesn't? If that's all they've added I'd rather sink $150 into something else. Thanks in advance for any info.

thgeisel ( ) posted Sun, 02 September 2001 at 2:51 PM

Im still on bryce 4 and I dont think ill upgrade very soon.for trees i have xfrog, I have no network.Ok ,softshadows would be nice.Maybe later...

Crakmine ( ) posted Sun, 02 September 2001 at 3:57 PM

Bryce 5 is nice, I used 4 for about a year and just switched to 5 recently, you can almost completely customize your rendering with alot to make your scenes look better, up to 256 rays per pixel too,lets see, metaballs, tho not exactly a huge deal are still a great idea, they're just balls that melt together or repel each other, really great for making organic shapes the textures melt together just as smooth as the balls do too. and the tree lab is great, not perfect, but its really nice to have. and ok, so you get slower renders, but what you get from it is worth it most of the time, anyway, what i say is, Bryce 5, worth buying the program? no. the upgrade? yes.

jks ( ) posted Sun, 02 September 2001 at 5:07 PM

From what I've heard about B5, it really is an excellent program, better than B4 in many ways. I personally am not going to upgrade until B6 (it shouldn't be too long before they come out with that, maybe a year and a few months, right?). ~JKS

willf ( ) posted Sun, 02 September 2001 at 11:37 PM

Man-O-War, was that OSX running on G3 or G4? I'm hesitant to upgrade (at this time) but if those spead increases are true is true I might make the plunge a little sooner than later.

Man O' War ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2001 at 6:58 AM

I'm in trouble! The first part of the MacOS X statement was WRONG. I meant to say the speed was "decreased". The second part was correct, on 9.1 seven minutes and on MacOS X twenty-eight minutes. All done on a G3 500 labtop (pismo) I apologize for the wrong info. manowar

Man O' War ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2001 at 7:14 AM

BTW Regarding my post(s) on OS x, I think the vast discrepancy may have been in part the heavily fragmented partition it was running on. This was before coming across the X compatible Norton Utilies 6.0 disk doctor and optimization, these two components also available as a "trial demo." manowar

dragonmagic59 ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2001 at 8:07 PM

NO! I got it and cannot use it. There are some old objects I have that KILL the program along with my computer. I was having to save every 2 seconds. When it did blow up.....and it ALWAYS did....I had to reboot my computer, uninstall Bryce 5 and then reinstall it. I kept calling support, they said I didn't have enough ram.....I have 768 ram! PLENTY! My computer was BUILT to be a graphics machine! I am now using Bryce 4 again, feeling the sting of $150 blown out the window!!! Mind you, this is just MY opinion, but other people have been having similar problems! I would see if you can try it out first.

Crakmine ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2001 at 8:39 PM

wow, thats wierd never heard of that happening before, anyone else have this problem?

willf ( ) posted Tue, 04 September 2001 at 12:29 AM

man-o-wR, thanks for the info again RE OSX. I have the 400mgz pismo (don't have a labtop though!), nice machine. Think I'll wait on the OSX & go for B5.

Shannara ( ) posted Tue, 04 September 2001 at 1:13 PM

DragonMagic59: I'm sorry to hear that. I think that Corel should try to FIX bugs rather then introduce new features and even MORE bugs. But then again, they are following Microsoft's lead... Anyhow, I've had the same problem with my sister's computer, it just bombs out with any of the old Bryce4 objects, however It runs bearly stable on my computer.. gosh I hate Corel. So I'm back on 4, bearly using 5, only if I have too, such as tree scenes, if needed.. Still waiting for Corel to get of their lazy butts and decide to do some long over due bug fixing to Bryce.

dragonmagic59 ( ) posted Tue, 04 September 2001 at 6:27 PM

Well Shannara.....I'm sorry to hear you are having the same problems, but at least it's not just me. Corel has been less that helpful, I must say! Sigh, I will just make due with Bryce 4 till a patch comes out. Then I'll give them a second chance. If it don't work then.....well, I will have a copy of Bryce 5 for sale!!!

Shannara ( ) posted Tue, 04 September 2001 at 7:03 PM

Ebay is the way to go if your selling it. But knowing Corel, a patch won't be out for years....But by then, they'll do something like release a patch, then release a newer version a few months later, complete with 2 - 5 more features and quite a few more major bugs to put under their belt. Yeah, I'm kinda angry at them. I hate it when people sale software that has not been tested before releasing to the masses. Which means, that everybody who is buying Bryce 5 are basically testers and have not bought a "stable" product. Mind you, this is only my PC experience, I have never tried it on Macintosh (sp?). I quit using macintoshes back in 1996, since they are really only good for video editing and streaming.. lol

Doom Dancer ( ) posted Wed, 05 September 2001 at 8:06 AM

I do 3D art on a "professional" level...my final renders of most of my work take an average of 4 to 6 days to complete. An additional 2.1 days in Unnacceptable...and after the bugs I have experienced with 4 I will NOT buy 5 and deal with more problems.

sturkwurk2 ( ) posted Wed, 05 September 2001 at 11:19 AM

well... I've upgraded to five and havent had any problems "yet". You can check out my review of Bryce 5 at the 3d comic collective www.3dcc.com. Just click on the "software reviews" link on the left side of the screen. Doug Sturk

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.