Mon, Sep 16, 11:57 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / 3D Modeling

Welcome to the 3D Modeling Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433

3D Modeling F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 15 9:12 pm)

Freeware 3D Modeling Software Links:
Blender | Trimble Sketchup | Wings 3D | Anim8or | Metasequoia | Clara IO (Browser-based 3d modeler)

Check out the
MarketPlace Wishing Well, as a content creator's resource for your next project.

"What 3D Program Should I buy?" Not one person here can really tell you what's best for you, as everyone has their own taste in workflow. Try the demo or learning edition of the program you're interested in, this is the only way to find out which programs you like.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Help With Textures

charlie43 ( ) posted Mon, 04 June 2012 at 6:25 PM · edited Wed, 24 July 2024 at 8:32 AM

Hi, Everyone~

I am slowly but surely learning how to texture clothing made with Phil C's Clothing Designer. I have found CD to be my best avenue of approach in making clothing and can make an item very quickly using Blender for the finishing touches and smoothing. I texture the clothing in Stitch Witch, an app from Kamilche Consulting that is easy to use and makes texturing a snap. Here is my issue:

I have designed a dress with a low scooped neckline and textured it in blue denim. My wife owns two clothing boutiques so it is quite easy for me to find examples to work from. I decided to make a mod to the dress by adding a lace insert in the bodice for "modesty's sake." I textured it in SW, brought the dress into PP 2010 and went into the material room to add the textures. I added them successfully, but when I render the scene, the lace insert does not show up. If you look closely at the dress, you will see the insert in the bodice. Diffuse color is set to white, GC in and out at 1. Rendered in BB's envirosphere with one infinite light set at 109% as I did not want to wash out the blue denim. I'm not very happy with the way the color turned out. It should be darker. I used snarlygribbly's scene fixer to ensure that settings were as close as possible, as I am not too good with GC yet. I deleted the background in PS so that I could highlight the dress and figure better.

What am I doing wrong? As I previously stated, I am still learning. I want to post several of these dresses I have made to the freestuff forum to pay back for all the help I have gotten, but don't wish to present something that even I do not feel is right...

C~

V4 blue-denim-dress

charlie43 ( ) posted Wed, 06 June 2012 at 9:23 AM

Anyone?

C~

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Wed, 06 June 2012 at 5:16 PM

Would you be willing to show a screenshot of the material room (advanced view) of your lace texture material? It's hard to tell what's going on just with a render.

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

charlie43 ( ) posted Wed, 06 June 2012 at 9:18 PM

Robyn - of course! Should have thought of that. Duh! Can ya tell I am new to this? Give me a bit - enjoying some special company tonight!

C~

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Wed, 06 June 2012 at 11:07 PM

No problem... take your time. Real life - as I've found - is precious. 😄

Metaphor of Chooks

charlie43 ( ) posted Thu, 07 June 2012 at 12:26 PM

Hi, Robyn~

Here are the screen shots you requested. Had to redo them because I didn't save it out. My HD is a bit clogged, and when working on a piece of clothing, I tend to use the slider in the render screen to view my progress. The top image is a view of the PoserSurface image - couldn't get it all in with one shot.

HTH

C~

view of UV mapmat room settings

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Fri, 08 June 2012 at 5:30 AM

My suggestion would be this: make the lace bit a separate material. You can do this in Blender quite easily: in the material panel, assign the bit that is going to be lace to another matrial zone to the main dress texture. You're going to want to use a transparency map to tell Poser where you want the lace to show and where not. I'm on my way to Cairns so I'll be away from my computer - and Poser - this weekend, but if you want to wait that long I'd be happy to do something rough for you so you get the idea. Mind you: Stitch Witch will do transparencies and lace quite nicely... 😄

Metaphor of Chooks

charlie43 ( ) posted Mon, 11 June 2012 at 10:19 PM

Hey, Robyn~

I hope your trip was a pleasant and enjoyable one. I spent a little time this weekend trying to achieve what you explained to me, but my results are the same. I actually came up with a nice lace dress at one point! I am still learning Blender 2.63, and although I have a lot to learn, I am gaining ground slow but sure. I am a "citizen" at CGCookie, and try a lot of the tutorials. It seems I always reach a point where something refuses to work right. But, I am learning. Appreciate your help with this. I often copy/paste good advice into a text document for future reference. 

C~

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Wed, 13 June 2012 at 5:05 AM

Hi Charlie - yes, the trip to Cairns was really good: the rainforest called Daintree is unbelievable! I learned a lot about rainforests in general, too.

Work has been brutal - I work in post-op recovery - so tonight is the first time I've had a change to look at my email and even open Poser and Blender. I'm just re-doing 4BluEyes' Summer-Oh-Summer HalterDress UVs so I can do a bare tummy (well, with lace) but probably won't finish it until the weekend, so I'll see how I go.

Metaphor of Chooks

vincewicks ( ) posted Mon, 18 June 2012 at 5:01 AM

It is fine acually, but make some improvements. It was fastidious and great. Just enjoy learning more with this works. And love your work for you to come up with a good one.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.