Wed, Oct 9, 6:29 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser Technical

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum

Forum Moderators: Staff

Poser Technical F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 06 11:55 pm)

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum.

Where computer nerds can Pull out their slide rules and not get laughed at. Pocket protectors are not required. ;-)

This is the place you come to ask questions and share new ideas about using the internal file structure of Poser to push the program past it's normal limits.

New users are encouraged to read the FAQ sections here and on the Poser forum before asking questions.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: I need help with a gorilla model

dynomo ( ) posted Wed, 05 September 2001 at 2:07 PM · edited Wed, 14 August 2024 at 4:49 AM

Attached Link: http://www.lithiumpro.com/dynomokid

I bought an obj. of a silverback gorilla and I am trying to animate it but am very lost, Dose anyone know how to do this? Can someone do it for me? I need it for a project I am working on. I will give you credit and a link up to a website of mine. It also might mean more work I Know how to cut it up but I do not know how to go about the next step and every other tutorial I look at is complex to me......very frustrated!!!!

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Wed, 05 September 2001 at 3:07 PM

if you cut it up using the same body part names as the p4 male (e.g.), you can then save the wavefront obj file in a gorilla folder in the geometries folder. then dupicate the zeroed p4 nude male cr2 file, rename it gorilla.cr2, and edit the cr2 file so that the two paths to the cr2 file have gorilla:gorilla.obj instead of P4NudeMan:blNudeMan_Gen.obj

Anthony Appleyard ( ) posted Wed, 05 September 2001 at 4:14 PM

But the joint parameters will be wrong, unless ALL the gorilla's joints are in the same place as in the Nude Man. You will have to go through every joint with the Joint Editor. If you set one side, you can use the "symmetry" menu options to copy the joint settings to the other side. Also you may find it useful to split the toes into posable segments as with the Nude Man's fingers. Insert an f after the first letter, e.g. lRing2 in the hand and lfRing2 in rhe foot.

wyrwulf ( ) posted Thu, 06 September 2001 at 12:17 AM

Out of curiosity, where did you get the gorilla OBJ and how much did it cost? I could probably do the Poserization work, but it would take me a bit of time to get it right.

dynomo ( ) posted Thu, 06 September 2001 at 6:30 AM

I got it off 3d cafe it cost like 25, Thanks for all the responses guys but I still have no clue. I just started learning poser, I got it so I could animate but the modeling and stuff has me baffeled. Hey wyrwulf how long do you think it would take for you to do. All I need is the basic animation so I could have him running and jumpung and doing stuff I really don't need crazy facial expressions. Just a mouth opening and eyes blinking. That would be great I could resally use the help.

flamethedog ( ) posted Thu, 06 September 2001 at 9:07 AM

Hi If you have split up the mesh and named the body parts (group statements) G Hip g Abdomen g Chest g Neck g Head etc etc You then need to create a PHI file using a standard Text editor (I use BBEdit). This is a type of shopping list listing... 1. Where the model is. 2. The body parts that make up the model. A list of the body parts in order with their xyz rotation orders (curves for a tail if needed). 3. The IK Chains. A list of the body parts that need to influence each other when moved, as if linked in a chain. The Legs and Arms are an example of this. Once you have done this... You can use the convert hier file feature of Poser to create the standard joints automatically, but you will then need to adjust/fine tune these using the joint editor. Look at the sample PHI files on the Poser CD For an idea how to get this far. It is easier than you think... Failing that post a list of your body parts here and description of the default pose of the Gorilla and I will post a PHI file, then maybe wyrwulf can do the JPs!!!... Good luck

wyrwulf ( ) posted Thu, 06 September 2001 at 10:25 AM

Opening the mouth and blinking the eyes would be morphs, which would be more work than just making the OBJ work in Poser. It would take a couple of weeks for me to do the setup, maybe longer if you want the hands to open and close. How big is the file of the gorilla OBJ? Have you looked at ScottA's gorilla in the store here? It is already set up and works well in Poser.

dynomo ( ) posted Thu, 06 September 2001 at 10:40 AM

NO I did not see it where is it!!!!!

wyrwulf ( ) posted Thu, 06 September 2001 at 11:09 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/softgood.ez?ViewSoftgood=400

http://www.renderosity.com/softgood.ez?ViewSoftgood=400

dynomo ( ) posted Thu, 06 September 2001 at 11:26 AM

O.k. I just bought the model now I dunno how to convert it? any Ideas?

dynomo ( ) posted Thu, 06 September 2001 at 11:58 AM

O.k. I got it it is perfect!!!!!!!! yessss I am psyched thanks guys and gals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wyrwulf ( ) posted Thu, 06 September 2001 at 2:29 PM

You got Scott's gorilla and you like it? Great! Have fun.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.