Tue, Oct 22, 5:26 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 3:39 am)

Subject: Interested in getting Silo?

LilWolff ( ) posted Fri, 10 August 2012 at 7:48 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 2:50 AM

There is a code on their page, right now, that brings the price down to $119.00. I don't know how long it will be there.

http://www.nevercenter.com/silo/

LaurieA ( ) posted Fri, 10 August 2012 at 9:21 PM

Hope that means they're gonna be working on a new version ;)

Laurie

Paloth ( ) posted Fri, 10 August 2012 at 11:31 PM

It's tempting but then I remember I have just about every other modeler in existence. lol

Download my free stuff here: http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php?page=2&userid=323368

Janl ( ) posted Sat, 11 August 2012 at 12:01 AM

Quote - Hope that means they're gonna be working on a new version ;)

Laurie

I would love to see some more development on Silo. It's a great price with the code anyway. :)

primorge ( ) posted Sat, 11 August 2012 at 12:53 AM · edited Sat, 11 August 2012 at 12:58 AM

Saw that, I actually have the demo download but I haven't bothered to install yet... Software looks mighty tempting as I hear that it's alot like Wings3D which is my favorite. Wavering on spending $120 when I'm already very comfortable with Wings and Zbrush 2, I don't see much more that it could offer.

How's Hexagon? That's another one that's tempting (Free) but all of the reviews I've read say that it's frustratingly crash prone and has alot of development dead-ends.

meatSim ( ) posted Sat, 11 August 2012 at 1:28 AM

I have Silo and love it.  For myself, I find it imensely more intuitive than wings.  I picke dit up last time they had it for that price.. actually a little after the sale ended but the customer service was great and they extended the price to me ven though I missed the sale.

At any rate really good value for the money

aeilkema ( ) posted Sat, 11 August 2012 at 2:39 AM

I tried the demo years ago and I really liked it. At the same time I also tries hexagon and loved it as well. Both are excellent modeling apps, although I do think that silo may offer some more tools, but hexagon was more logic in the way it works. In the end I bought hexagon, simply because of the price at that time, $1.99. Hexagon packs a lot of power and having used for a couple of years now, I'm still amazed at what it all offers. By now I'm not even tempted getting silo, since I've come to see that hexagon is an excellent tool and the price difference is too mucht between the two..... free vs 119 is an easy choice. Another thing is that silo has seemed to come to a standstil, while hexagon is still improving, be it very slow. Version 2.5 of haxagon may well be offering more then silo and  it's free, but doesn't feel like free or cheap at all. It's well thought through, has a hug range of tools and is easy to use once you take some time for it. Just because it's free, it doesn't mean it will not surprise you, on the contrary, try it you're in for a pleasant surprise..... it's a very complete modelling app.

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=23722

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYZw0dfLmLk

LaurieA ( ) posted Sat, 11 August 2012 at 8:46 AM · edited Sat, 11 August 2012 at 8:48 AM

Hex is a very complete modeling app. If you can remember to save every 5 seconds ;). Cause it's not IF it's gonna crash, but WHEN. Otherwise, I like Hex but the tendency to crash is extremely annoying. Sure, anything can crash of course, but Hex seems to have that capability built in ;).

Laurie

wolf359 ( ) posted Sat, 11 August 2012 at 9:05 AM

"It's tempting but then I remember I have just about every other modeler in existence. lol"

Same here!
I even have Silo although i have not spent nearly as much tim with it as I might have
I probably have too many modelors just as  I likely have Have too many render engines.

anyway I installed Hexagon 2 from the free DAZ App give away.
I opened it one time

took a look

recoiled in horror and immediately ran the uninstaller.

But this offer for Silo is a really good value IMHO.

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

bevans84 ( ) posted Sat, 11 August 2012 at 9:23 AM

I have both Silo and Hex, however the version of Hex I use is 2.1, which is the last version done by the old Eovia team. I often wonder how good hex would be if that team had been kept around for one more update. 

Version 2.1 is way more stable than any of the Daz versions, I also have version 1.21 of Hex, which is rock solid.
Typically Hex is my go-to modeler. Like I said, I have Silo and it's a good modeler, but Hex was the first modeler I ever got my head wrapped around and it does nearly everything I need.

Teyon ( ) posted Sat, 11 August 2012 at 9:38 AM

I am going to chime in as a guy who bought Hex before Daz got their hands on it - so I paid a few hundred more than most of the owners.  I really tried to like Hex. I bought it because it was access to sculpting tools and modeling. I even got pretty darn good with it. The problem I had with Hex was that it took way too many clicks to do things and it didn't really feel like I had direct control of my mesh. I'd kind of had enough of that with other modelers, so when I got Silo, it was like freedom. 

Sadly, the Nevercenter guys seem to have lost interest in the app, so I have had to look elsewhere. Modo for personal and Max for work. 

Still, Silo is a powerful app with a lot of cool features. It's slowly being left behind as far as extra bells and whistles go but for core modeling, it's one of the best.

xen ( ) posted Sat, 11 August 2012 at 11:22 AM

Silo's developers have abandoned it. There are unfixed bugs from years ago in there.

I really liked Silo when it was developed and recommened it to others, which I now regret. This is what compels me to post this warning. If you really want to buy it make sure you test it thoroughly because it is unlikely that bugs you find will ever get fixed. The developers are writing iPhone apps now and are just milking the last few $s out of this project.

primorge ( ) posted Sat, 11 August 2012 at 8:48 PM

that's a shame...

meatSim ( ) posted Sun, 12 August 2012 at 12:34 PM

Maybe I'm not digging deeply enough into it.  But I'm not finding anything other than a few minorly annoying glitches in silo.  For core modelling it does an amazing job. 

primorge ( ) posted Sun, 12 August 2012 at 5:16 PM · edited Sun, 12 August 2012 at 5:18 PM

@meatSim, Must be a pretty good modeler... alot of people use it. I'm on a kind of software exploration kick right now, anything to beef up my toolset. Have tried numerous times to get started with Blender but it's so obtuse that I go back to my standard processes. I always lose my patience when endless baby steps get in the way of actually making something. I think Blender could give Maya some serious competition as the "standard" if they would overhaul the interface, then again it would be a shame to see it become a commercial product.

I have been trying to settle on a strong UVing app for my workflow... I have UVMapper classic but professional isn't available for Mac. I can only UV simple things with Wings because it's crashed my computer before when I've tried to export texture maps larger than 1000 res and the whole UVing aspect of wings is clunky. UVmapper classic doesn't do this but it's limited in it's mesh manipulation tools, Blender is looking like an option if I just jump in there to UV stuff. Anyone have any experiences with Blacksmith 3D? I've also been playing with carrara 5 pro (free from 3dworld magazine awhile back) and the demo of Carrara 8... I've actually had Carrara for a long time but never really gave it a chance. Now that I have I'm mightily impressed... I can feel Poser nervously fidgeting. LOVE the polyline and curve tools in Carrara's modeler, so that is definitely a permanent part of my tool set. All in all very nice, looks like Daz is at least giving Carrara some attention.

LaurieA ( ) posted Sun, 12 August 2012 at 5:25 PM

Silo also has a very decent uv layout in it.

Laurie

meatSim ( ) posted Sun, 12 August 2012 at 5:37 PM

I really lie the UV work in Silo.. though you do want to save frequently as it can occasionally glitch out and 'lose' entire UV pelts.  

Quote - Silo also has a very decent uv layout in it.

Laurie

primorge ( ) posted Sun, 12 August 2012 at 6:29 PM

Guess I'll have to install that demo and and give it a spin... not worried about Silo's development future as I use alot of older apps on this computer anyway, If it comfortably gets the job done I don't worry about bleeding edge. Not that UVing could ever Really be comfortable.

shedofjoy ( ) posted Sun, 12 August 2012 at 6:57 PM

i think i must be one of the rare cases that has no issues or crashes with hexagon 2.5, works well on my new windows 7 rig but did have issues on my old machine about 3 years ago

Getting old and still making "art" without soiling myself, now that's success.

xen ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2012 at 2:05 AM · edited Mon, 13 August 2012 at 2:07 AM

Quote - Maybe I'm not digging deeply enough into it.  But I'm not finding anything other than a few minorly annoying glitches in silo.  For core modelling it does an amazing job. 

Quote - I really lie the UV work in Silo.. though you do want to save frequently as it can occasionally glitch out and 'lose' entire UV pelts. 

You are very tolerant of "glitches". These are exactly the things that drove me up the wall with Silo.

meatSim ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2012 at 2:55 AM

That was really the worst thing that came up and I think I had it pegged to what would cause it, not that I can remember right now of course, but I havent had it happen in ages

Quote - > Quote - Maybe I'm not digging deeply enough into it.  But I'm not finding anything other than a few minorly annoying glitches in silo.  For core modelling it does an amazing job. 

Quote - I really lie the UV work in Silo.. though you do want to save frequently as it can occasionally glitch out and 'lose' entire UV pelts. 

You are very tolerant of "glitches". These are exactly the things that drove me up the wall with Silo.

nfredman ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2012 at 12:48 PM

I got Modo...then got Silo because of Fugazi1968's nice tutorials, and kinda kicked myself for spending the dough on Modo. Now I go back and forth between them; but Silo is my go-to startup modeler. I like it a LOT and it's a bunch of bang for the buck!

Sale seems to be off again now, but it's a damned decent price for a good little piece of software. I think these sales are a yearly thing.

Janl ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2012 at 8:06 PM

Quote - I got Modo...then got Silo because of Fugazi1968's nice tutorials, and kinda kicked myself for spending the dough on Modo. Now I go back and forth between them; but Silo is my go-to startup modeler. I like it a LOT and it's a bunch of bang for the buck!

Sale seems to be off again now, but it's a damned decent price for a good little piece of software. I think these sales are a yearly thing.

Same with me. I also have Modo (since version 2) but Silo is the one I turn to first. I like the simple interface and ease of working in it.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.