Fri, Oct 4, 3:29 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 10:49 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: 3D Manipulators Gone

pchoate ( ) posted Sat, 01 September 2012 at 2:26 PM · edited Fri, 04 October 2024 at 3:26 PM

I hope this turns out to be "duh?" -- a stupid question with an obvious answer.  But I have searched Adobe and the 'net and have not found my problem described.

The problem is that I have no tools to manipulate 3D objects (figures, lights, cameras) in PhotoShop (using CS6).  All of the tutorials demonstrate how easily these objects can be manipulated using the little 3-axis widget.  But I don't have any 3-axis manipulator tool.  In fact, the ONLY way I've been able to manipulate these objects is manually with the "coordinates" tools.

Please, can anyone help?

Paul

dreamer101 ( ) posted Sat, 01 September 2012 at 2:58 PM

This is probably a duh? answer but do you have Photoshop Extended? The standard Photoshop doesn't have 3D.

foxylady1 ( ) posted Sat, 01 September 2012 at 2:59 PM

pchoate,

If you got the regular Photoshop CS6, it does not have the manipulation tools.  You need the extended version

This one:  http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopextended.html

Not this one: http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop.html

pchoate ( ) posted Sat, 01 September 2012 at 3:53 PM

I have the extended version.

pchoate ( ) posted Mon, 03 September 2012 at 3:33 PM

I have 3D fine, I can do all of the 3D stuff on a 3D model with textures, but to manipulate the object in 3D space I have to use "coordianates -- ther are no tool to rotate, scale, or move the object.  There used to be, and it was working fine, but suddenly stopped working, as if I had inadvertanly turned something off!  But I sure can't figure out what, if anything, I did to mess this up!

SWAMP ( ) posted Tue, 04 September 2012 at 3:06 AM

I’m on CS5.5, but should be the same.

Go to View>Show> (and click on) 3D Axis.

Very easy to hit the small “x” on the 3d tools which closes it.

pchoate ( ) posted Tue, 04 September 2012 at 10:49 AM

Thanks. SWAMP.  I guess maybe CS6 is laid out a little bit different.  Under View|Show, there is no option for 3D Axis.  There IS an option for "See other options..." and it looks as if alll of the 3D setup is under that option.  In my case, all of the 3D options were still turned on.

I wish it had been that simple, I'm still trying to figure it out.  All was working fine a couple of weeks ago.  I am on the brink of just re-installing PhotoShop.

dreamer101 ( ) posted Tue, 04 September 2012 at 10:42 PM

I only have CS4 and it's not extended BUT I know visibility of menus and panels frustrated the hell out of me.

Edit > Menus > Panel Menus

Open up the 3D dropdown and check the visiblily of the items you aren't seeing. 

Also, which Workspace are you using? One of the presets or did you create your own? You might have picked a Workspace which has certain menus/panels invisible.

pchoate ( ) posted Wed, 05 September 2012 at 5:54 AM

Thanks, I was unaware of the menu visibility options.  Upon checking, however, it does appear that all of the 3D panels are "visible".  I am working in the PS 3D workspace.  Whenever I open a 3D file (*.obj, *.3ds) PS prompts me to change to that workspace.

pchoate ( ) posted Wed, 05 September 2012 at 7:03 PM

file_486159.jpg

I doubt that this screen shot will help much, but it should at least proove to te skeptics that I AM running PS CS6 extended, that I CAN load a 3D files (collada.dae in this case) and that I DO lack the necessary 3D manipulators to move this object in 3D space.

PLEASE, can SOMEBODY help.  This MUST be an easy fix, because everything worked FINE 10 days ago!  I think (but I am really not sure, and I don't want to sound accusitory) that the problem started with a recent Adobe "upgrade" download.

PLEASE help if you can!

dreamer101 ( ) posted Thu, 06 September 2012 at 5:23 PM

I noticed in your picture that there is a box at the top that says "Show Transform Controls" and it's not checked. Could it be that simple?

pchoate ( ) posted Thu, 06 September 2012 at 6:00 PM

Maybe so, that would be great.  I expect it is something that simple, something that I am just not seeing for the "trees".  In the case of this particular option, however, PS will not let me select it, like it is "greyed out".  I can hover over it and even get a tool-tip description of the button, but I can't check it "on".

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Mon, 10 September 2012 at 6:00 PM

try the 3d mode tools (manips) in upper tool bar.  in earlier versions they were at the bottom of the side tool bar.

happinesspost ( ) posted Mon, 10 September 2012 at 9:21 PM

Quote - try the 3d mode tools (manips) in upper tool bar.  in earlier versions they were at the bottom of the side tool bar.

i agree.it is useful . 

Happy life can't apply colors to a drawing of the render farm

pchoate ( ) posted Sun, 23 September 2012 at 7:49 AM

Well, I thought I'd thank everyone and close the topic here.  Indeed, my problem WAS the video board/driver.  But, once I had screwed it up, nothing I tried seemed to correct the problem.  My son finally convinced me to purchase a new NVIDIA Quadro.  Evpensive upgrade, but everything works fine with the new card.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.