Sun, Oct 6, 8:22 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Solar Flare effect

mysticeagle ( ) posted Fri, 07 September 2012 at 8:26 AM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 5:58 AM

file_486216.png

i'm trying to figure out how to create a decent looking solar flare effect to use in summat i'm doing, i have a half decent sun texture mapped to a rotating globe, and i think i have to use another semi transparent globe just slight larger over it to create the corona, but here is where my problem is, how to create a decent texture that has some depth, or height, depending on which way you look at it. the attached image gives you the idea, it is for stills and animation, so any advice would be appreciated.......ty guys.....ps i know there are a few suns already out there, but as this is for a freestuff figure, i'd rather start from scratch...

here is a quick preview of the model i am working on, its still very early wip, but this gives you an idea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGVN7qnkDcM

OS: Windows7 64-bit Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2430M CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)  6GB Ram
Poser: Poser Pro 2012 SR3.1 ...Poser 8.........Poser5 on a bad day........
Daz Studio Pro 4.5  64bit

Carrara beta 8.5

Modelling: Silo/Hexagon/Groboto V3
Image Editing: PSP V9/Irfanview
Movie Editing. Cyberlink power director/Windows live movie maker

"I live in an unfinished , poorly lit box, but we call it home"

My freestuff   

link via my artist page

hborre ( ) posted Fri, 07 September 2012 at 8:49 AM

Displacement and bump mapping should give you added height detail. 

mysticeagle ( ) posted Fri, 07 September 2012 at 9:24 AM

well that cleared that up :)   care to explain lol ?

OS: Windows7 64-bit Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2430M CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)  6GB Ram

Carrara beta 8.5

My freestuff   

link via my artist page

hborre ( ) posted Fri, 07 September 2012 at 10:01 AM

file_486217.jpg

I quickly put this together based on internet sun textures.  The details should be finer and smaller; I had to tile the texture in the MAT Room to reduce the map details.  Crappy, I know.

Two suns, side by side.  The sun on the right only contains the texture map connected to the ambient node in the materia room.  Sun on the left had a displacement and normal map created from the original image map.  As you can see, there is more pronounced detail and height to the surface. 

Porthos ( ) posted Fri, 07 September 2012 at 3:16 PM

I recently did an exploding planet using displacement maps.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=2351302&user_id=105188&np&np

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 12.0GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 7770

PoserPro 2012 (SR1) - Units: Metres , Corel PSP X4 and PSE 9

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 07 September 2012 at 4:18 PM

file_486220.jpg

I'd like to help but don't have a lot of time.

I did this and I'll show you the shaders. (It's three spheres)

But it may not work the same without GC enabled.

I'm throwing this out there to give some head start. I don't think it's finished work, but it's better than what I've seen elsewhere.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 07 September 2012 at 4:19 PM

file_486221.png

I'm using a 10-inch sphere. The Poser hi-res sphere is 10.25 inches so should work the same.

I say this because I'm using displacement in inches based on a 10-inch sphere.

First is the "Core" sphere.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 07 September 2012 at 4:21 PM · edited Fri, 07 September 2012 at 4:21 PM

file_486222.png

Next is the "Flare" sphere.

Notice this has the same Fractal_Sum as the Core. These must match. If you change or replace one, do the same to both.

This uses displacement.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 07 September 2012 at 4:23 PM · edited Fri, 07 September 2012 at 4:23 PM

file_486223.png

Finally, the "Corona" sphere.

This sphere must be scaled up to 170% of the size of the others.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 07 September 2012 at 4:26 PM

file_486224.jpg

Here are the three pieces separated, so you know what's going on.

mysticeagle ( ) posted Fri, 07 September 2012 at 4:45 PM

thanks BB, most appreciated, i know you are a busy guy..........

Carrara beta 8.5

My freestuff   

link via my artist page

hborre ( ) posted Fri, 07 September 2012 at 5:09 PM

Well done!!!  Three spheres instead of two.  Very good starting point.

mysticeagle ( ) posted Sun, 09 September 2012 at 6:58 AM

following on from this, lets say i want to use the mat room and procedurals only to create a series of alien /other worldly planet textures, sure i know theres a bunch of planet texture generators, but my figure has about 12 planets plus moons and having to fill a texture folder with texture maps and bump maps is going to make the figure file very large.

I've been playing with the various functions, marble, clouds etc, i dont need high definition, just a decent colour mix, i'm no genius so any pointers in the right direction would be preciated ty............

Carrara beta 8.5

My freestuff   

link via my artist page

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 09 September 2012 at 9:18 PM · edited Sun, 09 September 2012 at 9:19 PM

file_486291.jpg

Hm. I messed around a bit with this sort of thing in the past. It's very difficult, actually. A few pointers - well heck that won't get you very far. I mean - some things are kind of easy, others are not.

I'll see what I can do to help.

Here's a teaser. Don't have time to explain it yet, but everything you see is procedural, including the star field.

First tip - for dusty worlds, use the Clay node instead of the built-in diffuse. Set the Roughness to 1.

mysticeagle ( ) posted Mon, 10 September 2012 at 3:33 AM

thanks BB, ive been playing around with this, this morning, ive used the clay diffuse set on 1 as you said, and been experimenting with the 3d textures nodes plugged into the bump to try and replicate your crater effect. so far nothing close, but there again if it was going to be that easy you wouldnt have responded would you lol  :rolleyes:

Carrara beta 8.5

My freestuff   

link via my artist page

monkeycloud ( ) posted Mon, 10 September 2012 at 10:29 AM

Cool thread 😄

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 10 September 2012 at 12:36 PM · edited Mon, 10 September 2012 at 12:39 PM

file_486306.jpg

How close up do you intend for this to be realistic? It's rather hard to build detail in the land and clouds that holds up to close inspection.

Will you get closer than this?

Some notes on this:

A clouds node generates a height map for the land.

I have the latitude going into a blender.

Two color ramps define the land colors - one for high latitudes, one for low - these two are blended so that stuff closer to the equator looks less green, more arid.

At the poles, another clouds node with a linear offset is compared to latitude and used to generate snow caps.

Another pair of clouds nodes (one modulates the scale of the other, creating swirly patterns) do the planet's clouds.

A bit of specular and additional bump on the water makes it look different from the land.

mysticeagle ( ) posted Mon, 10 September 2012 at 12:41 PM · edited Mon, 10 September 2012 at 12:42 PM

no bb, its for my animated orrery figure im working on, in poser scale the largest planet will be no larger than V4's fist, allowing for the odd camera close up, i wont need any more detail than in the two examples you have shown.......... ty and that btw is one of the best planet textures i have seen without using a highly detailed texture map.

Carrara beta 8.5

My freestuff   

link via my artist page

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 10 September 2012 at 1:08 PM

Well let me throw a couple of these unfinished out there just to see what happens.

There is probably a need to adjust scales as I'm testing a 10-inch sphere.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 10 September 2012 at 1:09 PM · edited Mon, 10 September 2012 at 1:11 PM

file_486308.txt

Remove the .txt extension - this is a material file.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 10 September 2012 at 1:11 PM

file_486309.txt

Here is the moonish one.

mysticeagle ( ) posted Mon, 10 September 2012 at 1:12 PM

i noticed when you loaded the first 10 inch sphere in the sun model, you said you were using displacement in inches, stupid question but is that purely because your default poser units are inches?

Carrara beta 8.5

My freestuff   

link via my artist page

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 10 September 2012 at 1:19 PM

I just tested these on my little orb prop and they suck.

I would need to build these with the actual size in mind. Making them self-sizing is near impossible and I'm not sure I have the time to explain the dozens of size jiggers.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 10 September 2012 at 1:22 PM

Quote - i noticed when you loaded the first 10 inch sphere in the sun model, you said you were using displacement in inches, stupid question but is that purely because your default poser units are inches?

Well - yes. When I show a screen shot of my Poser display, you are seeing numbers interpreted by my Poser display unit.

However, I point this out only for people who are NOT using inches.

And coincidentally, the internal units of the material system are inches. So if you look at my units and you look at these values in the files themselves, exactly as they are, they match. If your PDU is anything else, they do not match what is in the file as the PDU is scaling them for display.

This is no concern when I give you a material - but it is when I give you a screen shot. It is also a concern when I give you a material and then I tell you to make some specific adjustment.

If, for example, I tell you to increase a bump value to 1.2 that's inches, not meters. If you're in meters or whatever, you have to convert.

mysticeagle ( ) posted Mon, 10 September 2012 at 1:28 PM

thats no problem BB, i shall have a crack myself using the guidelines you set out above, worst thing that can happen is  i spend some more time in the material room lol, and god knows i need to.

Carrara beta 8.5

My freestuff   

link via my artist page

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Mon, 10 September 2012 at 3:34 PM

file_486312.jpg

o.k., there's what I got.  it seems to work well.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 10 September 2012 at 3:58 PM

LOL - you boosted the displacement - haha

monkeycloud ( ) posted Mon, 10 September 2012 at 4:10 PM

Quote - LOL - you boosted the displacement - haha

That'd make a great rubber chew ball for the mildog 😉

monkeycloud ( ) posted Mon, 10 September 2012 at 4:41 PM

Quote - I just tested these on my little orb prop and they suck.

I would need to build these with the actual size in mind. Making them self-sizing is near impossible and I'm not sure I have the time to explain the dozens of size jiggers.

They certainly look great on the 10 inch sphere.

What size is the little orb prop?

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 10 September 2012 at 8:27 PM

Quote - > Quote - I just tested these on my little orb prop and they suck.

They certainly look great on the 10 inch sphere.

What size is the little orb prop?

https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/free-stuff/orbs

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.