Wed, Sep 18, 1:59 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: OT-ish... Artist takes every drug known to man, draws self portraits.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sun, 23 September 2012 at 1:53 PM · edited Sun, 15 September 2024 at 3:48 AM

Attached Link: Art under the influence of drugs.

Fascinating, funny and brilliant in equal measure.  The guy's a genius and totally bonkers.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

nobodyinparticular ( ) posted Sun, 23 September 2012 at 1:59 PM

The totally bonkers ones often make the best artists. They think differently from everyone else.

primorge ( ) posted Sun, 23 September 2012 at 2:22 PM

Not impressed, sorry. Also makes me wonder if his drawing style was self-consciously contrived maybe a little. Controlled, self induced outsider art... but not really. you want to see legitimately bonkers (And talented)? look at the works of Adolph Wolfi, or Henry Darger.

*Critique by a former heavy drug user with a degree in fine art.

primorge ( ) posted Sun, 23 September 2012 at 2:31 PM

file_486751.jpg

crystal meth, marijuana.

moriador ( ) posted Sun, 23 September 2012 at 4:20 PM · edited Sun, 23 September 2012 at 4:25 PM

Bath salts is my favourite of the lot. It looks positively authentic.

I've taken a few of the drugs mentioned. I'm going to guess Primorge is right about most of the pictures though: there's got to be an element of self conscious contrivance. Short of ODing on some of the drugs (such as Trazodone), their effect isn't going to be consciously noticeable, and I wouldn't think it would make much of a difference in the art. I mean, Trazodone will give you dry mouth and a nasty tasting tongue that makes you feel like you haven't brushed your teeth for a couple of days, but otherwise you'd never know you took it.

Perhaps some enterprising fine artist could do a series of self portraits while on a pub crawl. "Look, here's me after a pint of Guiness; and here's me after two pints of Newcastle Brown Ale."

PoserPro 2014, PS CS5.5 Ext, Nikon D300. Win 8, i7-4770 @ 3.4 GHz, AMD Radeon 8570, 12 GB RAM.

wolf359 ( ) posted Sun, 23 September 2012 at 7:48 PM

What is there to make us believe he actually took those substances anyway.

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

moriador ( ) posted Sun, 23 September 2012 at 8:03 PM

Quote - What is there to make us believe he actually took those substances anyway.

Cheers

The basic belief that, unless there is evidence to the contrary, it's safe to assume that most people aren't lying?

PoserPro 2014, PS CS5.5 Ext, Nikon D300. Win 8, i7-4770 @ 3.4 GHz, AMD Radeon 8570, 12 GB RAM.

WandW ( ) posted Sun, 23 September 2012 at 9:31 PM

I'm going to make sure I use the computer duster spray with adequate ventilation now!  :lol:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

primorge ( ) posted Sun, 23 September 2012 at 11:35 PM

The fact that the process was actually planned by the artist and you are seeing the results on the internet shows that it's a gimmick.

Now, if he were found dead of an OD clutching a sketchbook in his hand, then maybe...

ockham ( ) posted Mon, 24 September 2012 at 4:36 AM

The 'bath salts' picture is fairly accurate.  Most users of 'bath salts' around here seem to end up jumping in the river from a bridge, after running around the streets naked.   The picture would be a 'bath-salts' user after his 'bath', with creative contributions from fish, snails and bacteria.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

wolf359 ( ) posted Mon, 24 September 2012 at 4:55 AM

"The fact that the process was actually planned by the artist and you are seeing the results on the internet shows that it's a gimmick."

This ^^

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

nobodyinparticular ( ) posted Mon, 24 September 2012 at 6:21 AM

People take this stuff too seriously.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Mon, 24 September 2012 at 7:10 AM

Quote - People take this stuff too seriously.

^

This. 

My Store

My Gallery

moriador ( ) posted Mon, 24 September 2012 at 9:46 AM

Quote - The 'bath salts' picture is fairly accurate.  Most users of 'bath salts' around here seem to end up jumping in the river from a bridge, after running around the streets naked.   The picture would be a 'bath-salts' user after his 'bath', with creative contributions from fish, snails and bacteria.

LMAO!

I guess it beats attacking people and eating their faces.

moogal ( ) posted Mon, 24 September 2012 at 7:41 PM

Quote - "The fact that the process was actually planned by the artist and you are seeing the results on the internet shows that it's a gimmick."

This ^^

What does that have to do with whether or not he actually took the drugs?  It's not just that drugs affect cognitive function, they're more commonly taken for their mood altering properties.  I could do a series of self portraits while listening to various types of music and they would all likely reflect in some way the effect the music had on my mood at the time.  Contrived doesn't equal faked.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Mon, 24 September 2012 at 11:28 PM

I never even heard of some of those.  d00d need a check-up from the neck up IMVHO

primorge ( ) posted Tue, 25 September 2012 at 2:58 AM · edited Tue, 25 September 2012 at 3:04 AM

Where in my posts did I suggest faked? Just being a little sceptical of the artist's sincerity or use of 'Artistic License'... and in terms of taking it "too seriously", my whole point is that I don't take it seriously at all.

Here's my real critique... his work sucks. Maniacal Laughter.

monkeycloud ( ) posted Tue, 25 September 2012 at 5:58 AM · edited Tue, 25 September 2012 at 5:58 AM

Quote - LMAO!

I guess it beats attacking people and eating their faces.

Yup, that sort of thing's definitely just way too "avant-garde" for my tastes...

...sounds like Joseph Beuys meets Hannibal Lector... :scared:

(Which, might actually just be something approximating an anarchic version of Günther von Hagens, come to think about it)

mysticeagle ( ) posted Tue, 25 September 2012 at 6:03 AM

I reckon in all honesty, if you gave a monkey LSD and a paint brush, you'd finish up with something far better :)

I wonder if in 20 years or so the "artist" will have paint backs. Still a bit of self publicity never hurt anyone. The drugs he took, well that's a different matter.

OS: Windows7 64-bit Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2430M CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)  6GB Ram
Poser: Poser Pro 2012 SR3.1 ...Poser 8.........Poser5 on a bad day........
Daz Studio Pro 4.5  64bit

Carrara beta 8.5

Modelling: Silo/Hexagon/Groboto V3
Image Editing: PSP V9/Irfanview
Movie Editing. Cyberlink power director/Windows live movie maker

"I live in an unfinished , poorly lit box, but we call it home"

My freestuff   

link via my artist page

monkeycloud ( ) posted Tue, 25 September 2012 at 6:49 AM

I don't think you'd necessarily need to give the monkey the LSD 😉

estherau ( ) posted Tue, 25 September 2012 at 7:02 AM

"

I guess it beats attacking people and eating their faces."

you would be surprised how many psychotic episodes or permanent psychoses are due to illicit drugs.  Not whilst they are high on the drugs either. I'm talking about the after effects ie the damage.  These are not benign substances.

Love esther

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

Winterclaw ( ) posted Tue, 25 September 2012 at 7:45 AM

Quote - The basic belief that, unless there is evidence to the contrary, it's safe to assume that most people aren't lying?

I'm a bird baby!

WARK!

Thus Spoketh Winterclaw: a blog about a Winterclaw who speaks from time to time.

(using Poser Pro 2014 SR3, on 64 bit Win 7, poser units are inches.)

monkeycloud ( ) posted Tue, 25 September 2012 at 8:05 AM

Quote - The basic belief that, unless there is evidence to the contrary, it's safe to assume that most people aren't lying?

Occam's Razor?

Or, you could go with the deliberate assumption that most people are simply lying to themselves... never mind anyone else... and work back from there?

He he 😉

wolf359 ( ) posted Tue, 25 September 2012 at 8:07 AM · edited Tue, 25 September 2012 at 8:08 AM

"Here's my real critique... his work sucks. Maniacal Laughter."

I would not say the guy has no artistic ability or  he "sucks" in general for Example the drawing  while "under the influence" of  10mg of  "loritab" is quite good IMHO.

What I do question is the implied correlation between these particular chemicals and the artistic rendering styles that allegedly resulted.
It all seems rather contrived to me as other have suggested.

It is not a matter "taking things to seriously"
to be fair when you start a some what off topic thread  with a link to something like this you are by default inviting people to respond with their subjective opinions about the subject matter.

if some of those opinions seem to be ruining the "fun" well thats sort of the natural hazard of
random semi OT threads IMO.

Cheers 

My website

YouTube Channel

SamTherapy ( ) posted Tue, 25 September 2012 at 11:24 AM

Quote - It is not a matter "taking things to seriously"
to be fair when you start a some what off topic thread  with a link to something like this you are by default inviting people to respond with their subjective opinions about the subject matter.

if some of those opinions seem to be ruining the "fun" well thats sort of the natural hazard of
random semi OT threads IMO.

Cheers 

You are right, of course.  I still think, contrived or not, some of the drawings are pretty interesting.  Not the best artist in the world but far from the worst, too. 

My Store

My Gallery

monkeycloud ( ) posted Tue, 25 September 2012 at 11:45 AM

I think the guy is clearly a pretty skilled draftsman, with an awareness of certain outsider / naive / psychedelic art styles.

He'd have to take a lot, of the right sort, of drugs to cover up his ability :biggrin:

But I'm not sure this necessarily matters or somehow detracts.

The whole exercise, as a conceptual piece, seems to be pretty contrived, in essence.

But is that not the nature of conceptual art... it's a cerebral contrivance?

Looking at the drawings individually, I think there's some quite interesting, expressive stuff, there... despite some looking more contrived than others, I guess.

moriador ( ) posted Tue, 25 September 2012 at 12:05 PM

Quote - "Here's my real critique... his work sucks. Maniacal Laughter."

I would not say the guy has no artistic ability or  he "sucks" in general for Example the drawing  while "under the influence" of  10mg of  "loritab" is quite good IMHO.

What I do question is the implied correlation between these particular chemicals and the artistic rendering styles that allegedly resulted.
It all seems rather contrived to me as other have suggested.

Well put. Exactly.

I think he's quite a decent artist and perfectly capable of using artistic tools in a skillful way.

But, yes, I am drawn to question the implication that the artistic mind is so sensitive that a single mild dose of cephalexin (an antibiotic used to treat urinary tract and ear infections) is going to result in double vision, shaky hands, and the inability to draw details or do any sort of shading.

primorge ( ) posted Tue, 25 September 2012 at 1:03 PM

Trying to think of something that is more subjective than the perception of art...

RedPhantom ( ) posted Tue, 25 September 2012 at 1:28 PM
Site Admin Online Now!

I'd be intrested in seeing what he could do without drugs.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

estherau ( ) posted Wed, 26 September 2012 at 5:48 AM

well maybe it wasn't the cephalexin but whatever condition he was prescribed it for, or maybe he took 50 of them. Or maybe he just believed they were having an effect on him.  For the first time in my whole life I think I am going to agree with wolf359

monkeycloud ( ) posted Wed, 26 September 2012 at 5:57 AM · edited Wed, 26 September 2012 at 5:59 AM

Quote - Trying to think of something that is more subjective than the perception of art...

Perception itself?

😉

EDIT: Oh, hang on... quantitative comparison of subjective subjects... might be more subjective still?

moriador ( ) posted Wed, 26 September 2012 at 6:52 PM

Quote - well maybe it wasn't the cephalexin but whatever condition he was prescribed it for, or maybe he took 50 of them. Or maybe he just believed they were having an effect on him.  For the first time in my whole life I think I am going to agree with wolf359

Since he claims to have taken every single drug, I doubt they were prescribed for a condition, unless that condition was "artist in need of inspiration". I'm not against such  use of drugs, you understand. Many drugs don't work particularly well (if at all) for the conditions they are created to treat, so why not let artists use them? He also states that he took 250mg, the very standard single dose.

monkeycloud ( ) posted Thu, 27 September 2012 at 6:23 AM · edited Thu, 27 September 2012 at 6:27 AM

My render for BasicWiz's forum comp was completed largely under the influence of a heady mix of paracetamol and ibuprofen, by the way...

...oh and doses of Benylin.

EDIT: Whoops, I hope I'm not disqualified for admitting this 😉

EDIT: Cool... checked the rules... and there are none. It's not the Olympics. Think I'm okay...

estherau ( ) posted Thu, 27 September 2012 at 6:35 AM

I did this selfportrait after one multivitamin tablet.  I'll leave you to guess which one is me.

Love esther

estherau ( ) posted Thu, 27 September 2012 at 6:37 AM

file_486952.jpg

I did this selfportrait after one multivitamin tablet.  I'll leave you to guess which one is me.

Love esther

monkeycloud ( ) posted Thu, 27 September 2012 at 6:47 AM · edited Thu, 27 September 2012 at 6:50 AM

Quote - I did this selfportrait after one multivitamin tablet.  I'll leave you to guess which one is me.

Love esther

Do you mean your profile pic Esther??

If so, I'm guessing your the pretty lass that's touting the heavy weaponry? As opposed to the firearm itself... he he 😉

But those multivits can be pretty potent...

monkeycloud ( ) posted Thu, 27 September 2012 at 6:48 AM

Aha...  crosspost.... I see what you're talking about now!

He he...

Maybe you're both of them??? If we're getting metaphysical about it...

:biggrin:

estherau ( ) posted Thu, 27 September 2012 at 6:50 AM

depends on the time of the month I guess.   

Love esther

monkeycloud ( ) posted Thu, 27 September 2012 at 6:50 AM

Quote - depends on the time of the month I guess.   

Love esther

:laugh:

moriador ( ) posted Thu, 27 September 2012 at 1:02 PM

That's an awesome pic, Esther!

I think I should start taking those vitamins, too!

SamTherapy ( ) posted Thu, 27 September 2012 at 1:21 PM

Technically, I'd qualify for making pictures under the influence of chemicals, since I take a veritable cornucopia of medication every day.

It keeps me sane, though.  Ho yus it does, I just get these pains in me head... :-|....

Arf arf bibble hatstand... 

My Store

My Gallery

primorge ( ) posted Thu, 27 September 2012 at 1:22 PM

must be some serious hairspray in that hair, though! nice render esther!

primorge ( ) posted Thu, 27 September 2012 at 1:25 PM

@ Monkeycloud... my aren't you clever and cheeky. I would put a winking little emoticon, but I despise that crap. Maniacal laughter!

monkeycloud ( ) posted Thu, 27 September 2012 at 2:13 PM · edited Thu, 27 September 2012 at 2:17 PM

Quote - @ Monkeycloud... my aren't you clever and cheeky. I would put a winking little emoticon, but I despise that crap. Maniacal laughter!

LOL :lol:

Me too 😉

Hmmm... no maniacal laughter smiley... :huh:

primorge ( ) posted Thu, 27 September 2012 at 2:34 PM

Better get in touch with Snarlygribbly, maybe he can put it into EZSkin. Chuckles. well, sorta jealous chuckles.

monkeycloud ( ) posted Thu, 27 September 2012 at 2:51 PM

I'm thinking of maybe making my own range of smileys now...

...I could make each one to look like it is under the influence of a different ingestible substance!?

colorcurvature ( ) posted Thu, 27 September 2012 at 3:02 PM

Drugs and art... Good subject. I have attended an exhibition on surrealism. Some of the things were really special. i wonder how the artists found their insipirations. 

Mogwa ( ) posted Thu, 27 September 2012 at 6:19 PM

Toulouse-Lautrec created much of his work after getting cranked on absinthe. But he had great talent and the excuse of constant phsical pain. This self absorbed schmuck appears to have neither.

estherau ( ) posted Fri, 28 September 2012 at 7:01 AM

I think the self absorbed poly-drug abuser has got a bit of talent. too bad he'll probably be dead or brain damaged within 10yrs.

Love esther

estherau ( ) posted Fri, 28 September 2012 at 7:01 AM

I just looked in our fridge.  we have more multivitamins.  Stand by.

Love esther

estherau ( ) posted Fri, 28 September 2012 at 7:10 AM

file_487004.jpg

oh wow man...like...

this is totally me, and totally awesome.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.