Fri, Oct 4, 11:16 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 04 8:39 am)

Subject: Free guitars - extremely good free guitars

SamTherapy ( ) posted Thu, 27 September 2012 at 4:43 PM · edited Fri, 04 October 2024 at 11:16 AM

If you don't visit the Freestuff forum and you don't read the Japanese freebies thread, you're missing out on what are definitely the best guitar models around, paid for or free.

Mask-da is an unbelievably skilled modeller who makes staggeringly accurate models of real life guitars, Gibson Les Paul, Gibson Explorer, Fender Precision Bass and so on.  His models are time limited and when he adds a new one, the oldest falls off the page.  

If you don't have these, get them.  There are no others of this quality for Poser, anywhere else. 

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

nobodyinparticular ( ) posted Thu, 27 September 2012 at 4:56 PM

Thank you. Have a few guitars, but haven't done the freebies section in a while. Always need a variety.

cedarwolf ( ) posted Fri, 28 September 2012 at 11:17 AM

There's a Japanese Freebies thread?  I did not know this.  I'll have to go hunting now.

nobodyinparticular ( ) posted Fri, 28 September 2012 at 11:33 AM

It's a sticky at the top of the freebies forum.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 28 September 2012 at 2:28 PM · edited Fri, 28 September 2012 at 2:29 PM

file_487015.jpg

Wow these are nice. I only got one so far and it totally sucked me in. The modeling is great, the accuracy seems very high.

The materials are very good, considering they are P4 style.

However, I had to give it the BB treatment. Real metal, scattering plastic, candy finish on the wood, special handling on the knobs, Fresnel reflection everywhere. Stock on left, my version on right.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 28 September 2012 at 2:29 PM · edited Fri, 28 September 2012 at 2:31 PM

file_487016.jpg

Closeup of the hardware. (Click for full size.)

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

SamTherapy ( ) posted Fri, 28 September 2012 at 5:05 PM

Superb work, BB.  That looks like the real deal.  I like the faint scratches on the pickup cover, too.

My Store

My Gallery

Acadia ( ) posted Fri, 28 September 2012 at 5:09 PM

Quote - If you don't visit the Freestuff forum and you don't read the Japanese freebies thread, you're missing out on what are definitely the best guitar models around, paid for or free.

Mask-da is an unbelievably skilled modeller who makes staggeringly accurate models of real life guitars, Gibson Les Paul, Gibson Explorer, Fender Precision Bass and so on.  His models are time limited and when he adds a new one, the oldest falls off the page.  

If you don't have these, get them.  There are no others of this quality for Poser, anywhere else. 

There are a lot of links in that very long, several page thread.  Which page or post has the guitar links?

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

markschum ( ) posted Fri, 28 September 2012 at 5:10 PM

looks at freestuff, no link * learns to read * ah-ha Freestuff FORUM ! 

monkeycloud ( ) posted Fri, 28 September 2012 at 5:59 PM

Those are awesome! I just downloaded the lot, that were there... 👍

Thanks!

monkeycloud ( ) posted Fri, 28 September 2012 at 6:00 PM

Nice re-texture BB!

Were those scratches on the metal humbucker pickup there in the original texture, in some form, or did you add those??

jerr3d ( ) posted Fri, 28 September 2012 at 6:02 PM

Yeah, that's a 54 page thread just full of links to all kinds of cool free stuff for Poser.  The last free guitar is mentioned on the last page of the thread.

markschum ( ) posted Fri, 28 September 2012 at 6:19 PM

If anyone speaks japanese please pass on a thank you from me.

Must look at that forum more often.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Fri, 28 September 2012 at 6:42 PM

Quote - > Quote - If you don't visit the Freestuff forum and you don't read the Japanese freebies thread, you're missing out on what are definitely the best guitar models around, paid for or free.

There are a lot of links in that very long, several page thread.  Which page or post has the guitar links?

The last page, Acadia.  And several others, since he's mentioned quite a few times.

BTW, nice to read you.  Ain't seen you here for a while.  Everything ok? 

My Store

My Gallery

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 28 September 2012 at 8:45 PM

Quote - Nice re-texture BB!

Were those scratches on the metal humbucker pickup there in the original texture, in some form, or did you add those??

Added. Same technique as I posted in the scratched gold thread.

Kendra ( ) posted Fri, 28 September 2012 at 9:26 PM

Nice.  Thanks for the headsup.  :)

...... Kendra

monkeycloud ( ) posted Sat, 29 September 2012 at 2:10 AM

Quote - > Quote - Nice re-texture BB!

Added. Same technique as I posted in the scratched gold thread.

Cool, many thanks... I'll seek that thread out...

Eric Walters ( ) posted Sat, 29 September 2012 at 12:07 PM

Thanks for the tip Sam!

BB- NICE!

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 29 September 2012 at 6:48 PM

Quote - Ain't seen you here for a while.  Everything ok? 

Yeah, things are good. Just busy with life these days. Just when things start to settle down so I can sit down and open Poser, something happens to keep me away from the computer.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sat, 29 September 2012 at 8:16 PM

Good to know.  :)  

Hope you eventually manage to get over here for a visit.  Mind you, the kids are being absolute terrors at the moment. :D 

My Store

My Gallery

infinity10 ( ) posted Sun, 30 September 2012 at 10:58 AM

@SamTherapy -

Maskda's got a new blog about a guitar, but even translated, I can't appreciate the technicalities of the instrument, not being a guitarist myself.  You make any sense of his discourse ?

http://maskda.blog5.fc2.com/blog-entry-742.html

Eternal Hobbyist

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sun, 30 September 2012 at 11:11 AM

Babel fish and Bing can't translate it.

By the look of things, though, this next one is going to be the revised SG Junior, which came out after the version Mask posted last.

My Store

My Gallery

CaptainMARC ( ) posted Sun, 30 September 2012 at 1:53 PM

Quote - @SamTherapy -

Maskda's got a new blog about a guitar, but even translated, I can't appreciate the technicalities of the instrument, not being a guitarist myself.  You make any sense of his discourse ?

Please excuse me butting in...

But, oh wow, it's a pre-1965 Gibson Melody Maker. The best electric guitar ever.

I have six of them (one of which is in fact a 1959 single cutaway).

Can't wait for this!

Anyway, the Melody Maker, introduced in 1959, was Gibson's low cost student guitar.

It's a lot slimmer than a Les Paul and therefore nice and light. Body and glued neck are solid mahogany, combined with a single piece combined wrap over bridge/tailpiece, they give an amazingly loud and fat acoustic tone rich with sustain.

The drawbacks are the wimpy single coil pickups (it came with a choice of one or two) that, while they don't actually sound too bad, start feeding back if they just look at proper amp, and the very ropey original machine heads.

(I've customized mine, they all have sealed Gotoh tuners and all except the '59 have at least one original PAF in place of the single coil.)

They have recently been reissued by Gibson, and the new models are quite nifty, but of course, the wood isn't anywhere near the quality on the old ones.

jerr3d ( ) posted Sun, 30 September 2012 at 3:24 PM

Quote - ...It's a lot slimmer than a Les Paul and therefore nice and light. Body and glued neck are solid mahogany, combined with a single piece combined wrap over bridge/tailpiece, they give an amazingly loud and fat acoustic tone rich with sustain...

Solid mahogany neck and body? Sounds heavy! Got any pics? ^ ^

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sun, 30 September 2012 at 3:28 PM · edited Sun, 30 September 2012 at 3:32 PM

Quote - > Quote - @SamTherapy -

Please excuse me butting in...

But, oh wow, it's a pre-1965 Gibson Melody Maker. The best electric guitar ever.

I have six of them (one of which is in fact a 1959 single cutaway).

Can't wait for this!

Anyway, the Melody Maker, introduced in 1959, was Gibson's low cost student guitar.

It's a lot slimmer than a Les Paul and therefore nice and light. Body and glued neck are solid mahogany, combined with a single piece combined wrap over bridge/tailpiece, they give an amazingly loud and fat acoustic tone rich with sustain.

The drawbacks are the wimpy single coil pickups (it came with a choice of one or two) that, while they don't actually sound too bad, start feeding back if they just look at proper amp, and the very ropey original machine heads.

(I've customized mine, they all have sealed Gotoh tuners and all except the '59 have at least one original PAF in place of the single coil.)

They have recently been reissued by Gibson, and the new models are quite nifty, but of course, the wood isn't anywhere near the quality on the old ones.

I thought Melody Maker at first but IIRC, they had softer corners to the cutaway wings, which made me think of the SG Jr mk 2.  If, however, you have one of these beasts, you know what you're talking about.  :)

Thought they had P90s on 'em, which is a very nice single coil, IMO.   

@ jerr3d - Mahogany isn't - or rather, wasn't - a particularly heavy wood, compared with Maple or Rosewood.  Newer all mahogany guitars are much heavier than old ones because the wood used now is much newer.  A Les Paul from the 1950s weighs a lot less than the ones made up to 2001.  After that, Gibson started drilling holes in 'em to keep the weight down.  They, naturally, call them "tone chambers".  We call 'em holes.  

Anyhow, a Les Paul isn't a lightweight guitar, compared to most Strats, but a Melody Maker is quite a bit lighter by comparison.  So is an SG, for that matter.   

My Store

My Gallery

CaptainMARC ( ) posted Sun, 30 September 2012 at 3:47 PM

Quote - Solid mahogany neck and body? Sounds heavy! Got any pics? ^ ^

Pre 1965 Gibson had their wood stored and matured for forty years before making them into a guitar. In order to cut costs, that policy was stopped. You might be lucky and get a late 60s or early 70s model where the wood is decent, but you might be unlucky and get one straight from a tree - that would weigh a ton!

So you can buy any pre-65 Gibson blind. It'll be fabulous. Pickups, machine heads etc. may be rubbish, but you can easily replace them.

So, my pre-65 Gibsons are all as light as a feather.

1963 Melody Maker

My workhorse, a 1963 twin pickup model, refinished in white when I got it, gold hardware and two original PAFs added by me in a LP Custom stylee.

CaptainMARC ( ) posted Sun, 30 September 2012 at 4:02 PM

Quote -
I thought Melody Maker at first but IIRC, they had softer corners to the cutaway wings, which made me think of the SG Jr mk 2.  If, however, you have one of these beasts, you know what you're talking about.  :)

Thought they had P90s on 'em, which is a very nice single coil, IMO.   

I would recognize the shape anywhere. I have spent half of my adult waking life playing these beauties...

The corners are softer than an SG - well until 1966 when the Melody Maker adopted the SG shape.

Actaually the '61 models (of which I have one) have an even softer "horn", but our friend seems to be modelling the 62-65 shape (of which I have four hehehe).

Yep, P90s are great pickups. But the Melody Makers have a slim single coil, almost Fender format. Apart from the 59', all of mine have original PAFs at the bridge, and either another PAF, a Danelectro Lipstick, or nothing at all at the neck.

jerr3d ( ) posted Sun, 30 September 2012 at 4:07 PM

Now that I think about it, I did have a SG back in about '86. It's body was lighter than the neck and when strapped on it tended to tilt neck to the ground. x.x

CaptainMARC ( ) posted Sun, 30 September 2012 at 4:09 PM

Quote -  Newer all mahogany guitars are much heavier than old ones because the wood used now is much newer.  A Les Paul from the 1950s weighs a lot less than the ones made up to 2001.  After that, Gibson started drilling holes in 'em to keep the weight down.  They, naturally, call them "tone chambers".  We call 'em holes.  

Hahahahaha! Spot on mate!

(Actually, if you get a late 60s, or even worse, a 70s Paul, you might be unlucky. They can weigh a ton...)

CaptainMARC ( ) posted Sun, 30 September 2012 at 4:11 PM

Quote - Now that I think about it, I did have a SG back in about '86. It's body was lighter than the neck and when strapped on it tended to tilt neck to the ground. x.x

This may sound strange, but that's the weight of the machine heads doing that.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sun, 30 September 2012 at 5:38 PM

Yep, some of the 70s LPs are terrible.  Sandwich bodies made from random bits of scrap mahogany.

Yep, SGs are noted for neck dives.  The weird position of the strap button doesn't help, either. 

My Store

My Gallery

jerr3d ( ) posted Sun, 30 September 2012 at 5:58 PM

I've often wondered if Mask-da is working from real life guitars. His models are so detailed he must be.  They must be terribly expensive to buy in Japan.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Mon, 01 October 2012 at 11:53 AM

Gibson have a Japanese subsidiary, under the name of "Orville".  Their models are very high end versions of USA Gibsons, and only for sale in Japan.  Fender also has a Japanese arm, and the quality of Fender Japan (as opposed to Squier) is amazing.

There are also several other companies based in Japan who make unbelievably accurate replicas, which don't get seen in the US, because of trade embargoes and the possibility of trademark infringement.  They do, however, have a large customer base in Japan and the Pacific Rim.  Here in the UK, we also get a fair number of superb Japanese guitars.  And, to be fair, some bloody awful ones, too.

That said, Mask-da may be a wealthy guy for all we know.  I believe Batlab is reasonably well off, so it's possible Mask is able to just buy his reference material.  OTOH, he may have a lot of musician friends and associates who loan stuff to him.  In any event, there's no denying the quality of his work, or generosity. 

My Store

My Gallery

FreeBass ( ) posted Mon, 01 October 2012 at 5:15 PM

I've been collecting these for a LONG time & I'd just like to point out to anyone who has just discovered these that MDP not only has a lot more guitars & basses, but he also made the greatest drum kit I've ever found.

Also note that the freebies are rotated, so keep an eye on the DL page for not only new instruments, but reposts of his Alembic bass, Gene Simmons Axe bass, SRV Strat, Roland digital guitar, Randy Rhodes V.... As I said, many more.

A couple years ago I lost my install files for his drum kit... I dropped him a email & shortly after got a reply w/ a download location. So if anyone wants anything in particular, try droppin' 'im a line :)

Rock out! 

WARNING!

This user has been known to swear. A LOT!

SamTherapy ( ) posted Mon, 01 October 2012 at 5:37 PM

FreeBass - I have the drum kits, too.  Pretty damn good, ain't they?

Mask also was kind enough to send me a guitar he was intending to sell, but then decided not to.  

As for the re-releases, if you compare the current versions with the originals, they are complete rebuilds with much more detail and, in the cases of his current models, slightly smaller than before. The earlier Les Pauls were lower poly with much of the detail derived from bump maps.  Screws now have the details modelled into the heads, pickup surrounds and the selector switch ring are higher res.

I missed out on his plain vanilla Strat but having the SRV model, I chopped it up and adapted it in Wings to make it more like a regular factory issue.  Now I have to make a single coil size humbucker to make it like my own.  :)

If there's one guy in the Poser community I'd love to speak with at length - other than the other friends I've made, that is - it's Mask.   

My Store

My Gallery

FreeBass ( ) posted Mon, 01 October 2012 at 6:11 PM

file_487188.jpg

A 'nother ting I fergot to mention; if anyone wants to check out his blog, Google does an adequate translation to English.

And just because I can I figgered I'd show off most of what I have for MDP axes (I might have indicated the wrong SG)

WARNING!

SamTherapy ( ) posted Mon, 01 October 2012 at 6:16 PM

I don't have the regular Strat and I've never seen an SG by Mask (the other one in your pic is ThunderR's, IIRC) but I think I have all the others, although I lost the Axe bass some time back.  I also have a few of Mask's Les Pauls not posted in your pic.

I'm going to have to make a render of all the guitars I have now.  :) 

My Store

My Gallery

FreeBass ( ) posted Mon, 01 October 2012 at 6:23 PM · edited Mon, 01 October 2012 at 6:25 PM

Luck w/ that render, Sam... I had to do each row separately & composite. Doin' all at once made P7 cry like a lil' girl.

His SG is up right now; bottom right corner.

http://mdp.s18.xrea.com/DL/DLpage.html

WARNING!

monkeycloud ( ) posted Mon, 01 October 2012 at 6:29 PM

I so wish my real world guitar collection was that impressive 🤤

jerr3d ( ) posted Mon, 01 October 2012 at 6:54 PM

Check out this guy's guitar collection.

monkeycloud ( ) posted Mon, 01 October 2012 at 7:08 PM

Quote - Check out this guy's guitar collection.

Wow!

jerr3d ( ) posted Mon, 01 October 2012 at 7:24 PM

Quote - .... I'm going to have to make a render of all the guitars I have now.  :) 

Oh no, Poser homework!?  T.T

SamTherapy ( ) posted Mon, 01 October 2012 at 7:25 PM · edited Mon, 01 October 2012 at 7:29 PM

@ FreeBass - Yep, I have that one.  I meant a "real" SG, as opposed to a junior.

@ jerr3d - Impressive.  Ever seen Slash's collection?  About a million Les Pauls. Drool. 

Addendum - I have a simple collection.  Les Paul, Strat, Precision Bass, Taylor Acoustic.  Would love a few hundred more.  :) 

My Store

My Gallery

FreeBass ( ) posted Mon, 01 October 2012 at 7:30 PM

Sam;  "Real" / "Junior"... Tomato / Tomahtoh....

I'm a bass player fer chrissakes... a SG is a SG.

LOL! 

WARNING!

SamTherapy ( ) posted Mon, 01 October 2012 at 7:57 PM

file_487190.jpg

:lol:

BTW, I tried rendering all of 'em at once.  This is what Poser did. 

My Store

My Gallery

FreeBass ( ) posted Mon, 01 October 2012 at 8:03 PM · edited Mon, 01 October 2012 at 8:04 PM

Looks familiar.

I can't even begin to imagine the profanity Poser would throw at me if I tried includin' my accoustics & amps, let alone crappy or unposerfied models, keys, drums, winds, etc. :scared:

WARNING!

jerr3d ( ) posted Mon, 01 October 2012 at 10:00 PM

file_487197.jpg

Found this in my 3D / Guitars folder covered in dust. Forgot I even downloaded it, in 2005!

Eric Walters ( ) posted Mon, 01 October 2012 at 10:11 PM

file_487198.jpg

Anyone know where to find nice Classical Guitar models? Here's mine.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Tue, 02 October 2012 at 12:35 PM

Sorry, nope.  All the acoustic guitars I've seen for Poser are steel strung and - it has to be said - ropey.

My Store

My Gallery

FreeBass ( ) posted Tue, 02 October 2012 at 1:11 PM

Ropey???

I just tried TurboSquat & saw a semi-not-completely-useless free classical in 3ds format. It's steel strung, but if yr viewer dunno what they lookin' fer they ent gonna see it.

WARNING!

SamTherapy ( ) posted Tue, 02 October 2012 at 1:35 PM

O.o If it's steel strung it ain't classical. 

Ropey = manky = pants = bobbins = not particularly great. :) 

My Store

My Gallery

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.