Fri, Sep 20, 10:47 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / DAZ|Studio

Welcome to the DAZ|Studio Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Guardian_Angel_671, Daddyo3d

DAZ|Studio F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 4:16 am)

Subject: Reality Render thread. A new beginning.

bobvan ( ) posted Wed, 03 October 2012 at 10:56 AM

Cool thanks

Doctorjellybean ( ) posted Wed, 03 October 2012 at 11:09 AM

Question for Paolo or our resident lighting expert: which light preset in Reality is best suited for a halogen bulb (spotlight)? If there isn't one, what would the settings be for such a light?

My DA Gallery

KrazyHorse ( ) posted Wed, 03 October 2012 at 11:22 AM

Quote - Question for Paolo or our resident lighting expert: which light preset in Reality is best suited for a halogen bulb (spotlight)? If there isn't one, what would the settings be for such a light?

I'm no expert on these settings but if you don't get the answer you need look at settings simulating the sun.  Halogen lighting is used for salt water aquariums because it is very close to sunlight and makes for healthy coral in the tank. I know this because I use them.

Pret-a-3D ( ) posted Wed, 03 October 2012 at 11:31 AM · edited Wed, 03 October 2012 at 11:37 AM

Quote - Question for Paolo or our resident lighting expert: which light preset in Reality is best suited for a halogen bulb (spotlight)? If there isn't one, what would the settings be for such a light?

Since it's a bulb I would use a mesh light scaled way down and made narrow, instead of square. Scale it to real size. I would then set the color temperature to a be a bit cooler than a light bulb, probably around 3400K . Hard to know until you try but that should be a good start. Here is a chart from the good people at Lowel:

http://www.lowel.com/edu/color_temperature_and_rendering_demystified.html

Cheers.

Paolo

https://www.preta3d.com
FB: https://www.facebook.com/RealityPlugIn
Tw: @preta3d
G+: https://plus.google.com/106625816153304163119
The Reality Gallery: https://reality-plug-in.deviantart.com

Reggie68 ( ) posted Wed, 03 October 2012 at 11:36 AM

I'd use a colour temp setting of 3200K instead of a preset.

mousso ( ) posted Wed, 03 October 2012 at 11:39 AM

Hi :)

I need a lillte help with Reality/Lux. I bought Flinks Water FX from the MP and it doesn't work in Lux. The pack contains water drops, sprays, puddles etc. and work fine in Studio and Poser (they are in pp2 and obj format) but when I add the water material within Reality the prop just stays plain darkish color. And a warning of inconsistent vertices shows in Lux. Any help is appreciated

KrazyHorse ( ) posted Wed, 03 October 2012 at 11:49 AM

Quote - I'd use a colour temp setting of 3200K instead of a preset.

I was way off on that one, all I know is they make good aquarium grow light. Perhaps that is due to it passing thru water that, that temp is used.  Live and learn. :lol:

bobvan ( ) posted Wed, 03 October 2012 at 11:53 AM

Quote - Hi :)

I need a lillte help with Reality/Lux. I bought Flinks Water FX from the MP and it doesn't work in Lux. The pack contains water drops, sprays, puddles etc. and work fine in Studio and Poser (they are in pp2 and obj format) but when I add the water material within Reality the prop just stays plain darkish color. And a warning of inconsistent vertices shows in Lux. Any help is appreciated

Have you picked from the liquids in glass? If I am not mistaken you may need to crank up subdivision anyone else know?

KrazyHorse ( ) posted Wed, 03 October 2012 at 12:10 PM

Quote - > Quote - Question for Paolo or our resident lighting expert: which light preset in Reality is best suited for a halogen bulb (spotlight)? If there isn't one, what would the settings be for such a light?

Since it's a bulb I would use a mesh light scaled way down and made narrow, instead of square. Scale it to real size. I would then set the color temperature to a be a bit cooler than a light bulb, probably around 3400K . Hard to know until you try but that should be a good start. Here is a chart from the good people at Lowel:

http://www.lowel.com/edu/color_temperature_and_rendering_demystified.html

Cheers.

Thanks for the link..   Informative site....

Xandi ( ) posted Wed, 03 October 2012 at 12:36 PM

So, I thought I would try this fun challenge.  Um..  I got the object to import into studio, which was a first for me. I've never imported anything before. What do I do with the mtl file?  I put it in the daz folder in geometries with the obj file.  Do I import the mtl file?  I'm brand new to all this if you can't tell.  Another question.  How do I get textures onto the objects?  Do I need to make them myself? 

Doctorjellybean ( ) posted Wed, 03 October 2012 at 12:46 PM

You import just the OBJ file :) If you are loading the files given by Paolo, then the textures are automatically loaded.

My DA Gallery

mustang2011 ( ) posted Wed, 03 October 2012 at 12:50 PM

Quote - So, I thought I would try this fun challenge.  Um..  I got the object to import into studio, which was a first for me. I've never imported anything before. What do I do with the mtl file?  I put it in the daz folder in geometries with the obj file.  Do I import the mtl file?  I'm brand new to all this if you can't tell.  Another question.  How do I get textures onto the objects?  Do I need to make them myself? 

I ran across the same thing since I have never tried to import a file. Daz will have a pop up screen that has several options on it. Make sure to check the box so it reads the MTL file. I had to load my own textures for this challenge. I just went thru and found textures I had used for other work I have done.

RLSprouse ( ) posted Wed, 03 October 2012 at 12:56 PM

I had the checkbox for .mtl checked, but half of the items came in grey.  Is there something else I need to do?  Can I loat the .mtl file some other way?

mustang2011 ( ) posted Wed, 03 October 2012 at 12:59 PM

Quote - I had the checkbox for .mtl checked, but half of the items came in grey.  Is there something else I need to do?  Can I loat the .mtl file some other way?

Alot of the surfaces came in gray for me too. The glass has to be set in reality, it will appear gray in Daz. So will the items that are metal

RLSprouse ( ) posted Wed, 03 October 2012 at 1:01 PM

file_487252.jpg

Here is my test render.  Also note that the test tube rack has the curved geometry problem that had been mentioned earlier.  I am running the newest DS 4.5

mustang2011 ( ) posted Wed, 03 October 2012 at 1:05 PM

Quote - Here is my test render.  Also note that the test tube rack has the curved geometry problem that had been mentioned earlier.  I am running the newest DS 4.5

That is what you will see in Daz. You have to change the setting to glass and metal in Reality for it give actual color to it.

The test tube rack is doing the same thing for me it's the file that has a problem

RFreise ( ) posted Wed, 03 October 2012 at 1:08 PM

Have same problem with test tube rack as well

Opened it in C4d and rack looks the same(curved not square )

mbin ( ) posted Wed, 03 October 2012 at 1:22 PM · edited Wed, 03 October 2012 at 1:27 PM

EDIT: Hah hah! looks like everybody beat me to it while I was busy typing! Just goes to show how many people are on the thread who can help answer questions! (P.S. there was one above that was on a seperate subject, and I think Bob was the only one to pick it up... So don't let that one get lost incase they need any other help... seems to be a lot on the challange! `¬)

Quote - So, I thought I would try this fun challenge.  Um..  I got the object to import into studio, which was a first for me. I've never imported anything before. What do I do with the mtl file?  I put it in the daz folder in geometries with the obj file.  Do I import the mtl file?  I'm brand new to all this if you can't tell.  Another question.  How do I get textures onto the objects?  Do I need to make them myself? 

in ds3 the import settings would be like this, I had to select custom and set the scale to 125%, the other settings should be automatic... Not sure what it looks like if you have ds4... Note, that to get the lower settings to show I had to click on 'hide individual settings' and then on 'show individual settings' again maybe a buglet in ds3. From the image you can see an mtl file will be applied. If everything comes into daz as white then you have the previous version of the download that had a typo in the file names, you should put a '3' at the end of the name so that it is madscience3.obj and madscience3.mtl. Paolo fixed the download, so probably better to get the latest download again. Note that some of the items will probably come in white, but there should be quite afew that come in coloured. If they do, that's your first step...

From that point you can select a surface (using the surface selection tool from the tools menu - and with the surfaces tab visible as above)...  You may need to move your perspective view to either look down so you can select liquids from above and / or move into the container to select, or select directly from the list...and then call reality and set the material parameters in reality. You can load your own images as textures, for example, if you scan a page of a document and put it in the 'diffuse texture' for the loose paper item, when rendering the paper will look like your scanned document. etc... Remember that there are liquids inside the glass containers etc... you can simple select the item by its description and simply set its colours. That should get you going for a start! Oh, you will need to add a reality light of some sort, I started with just a single reality softbox just to see what changes resulted from changing materials... If doing test renders, keep your image quite small at first. I set my size to be the size of the screen and then test at 50% size set on the output tab (of reality 1.25 anyway...) It may depend on what version you are using.

If your render bursts into a lot of big white splotches that get bigger, then you have some materials either set too high glossyness or specular. If thats the case, make sure the specular is very low (in the 10-40 ish?) and make sure your glossy is not all at the top of the range. You should get somewhere by initially setting the materials to what they are, for example metals and glass and water etc... If you have any issues, post them here and someone is sure to give some advice! ;) Have fun!

MyDeviantArtGallery

mbin ( ) posted Wed, 03 October 2012 at 1:31 PM

P.P.S. I will give the Dformer data for the rack if anyone wants them, but it will have to be later, as I've got to dash off... The data will only work though if the obj was originally imported at 125% though, as anything else will mean the parameters will be different...

Happy rendering!

MyDeviantArtGallery

Xandi ( ) posted Wed, 03 October 2012 at 1:32 PM

Good! Thank you so far for the help.  My scene looks like Ansel's.  I'm trying to put a texture on the big flask on the right of the desk. How would I do that?  I've tried putting it in the different channels of glass and even set it to glossy and tried that.  I just get a big purple flask or a black one.  Neither is what I wanted and doesn't show the texture.

I hope I don't bother you all with too many questions.  This is all new for me ;)

mbin ( ) posted Wed, 03 October 2012 at 2:14 PM

Here are my settings for that flask glass and the liquid inside, which should give a good start. I have not added any texture files, just set the material values to this. Not sure how this would translate into the newer reality, but hopefully this will start you off. Seems only fair if its your first time... But I'm now late, so I will check back in the morning! `¬)

MyDeviantArtGallery

Pret-a-3D ( ) posted Wed, 03 October 2012 at 2:14 PM

Quote - I had the checkbox for .mtl checked, but half of the items came in grey.  Is there something else I need to do?  Can I loat the .mtl file some other way?

The mtl file is loaded automatically. The whole idea for this challenge is that you define the materials. The obj file has little about it. Basically you just have the material "slots" and you can ser them to be anything you like. it's an exercise in materials, lighting ans framing.

Cheers 

Paolo

https://www.preta3d.com
FB: https://www.facebook.com/RealityPlugIn
Tw: @preta3d
G+: https://plus.google.com/106625816153304163119
The Reality Gallery: https://reality-plug-in.deviantart.com

mbin ( ) posted Wed, 03 October 2012 at 2:18 PM · edited Wed, 03 October 2012 at 2:33 PM

hope I'm not giving too much away then, but to get someone started... ??? I'm about to remove the image, so that doesn't give too much away...???!! `¬)

hopefully its gone now, did you get a glimpse?

set the flask to glass, hyperrealistic with the transmision about mid way, and the reflection a little lighter... no need to put a texture file in there for that one `¬)

MyDeviantArtGallery

superboomturbo ( ) posted Wed, 03 October 2012 at 4:10 PM

Quote - Hi :)

I've used Flinks rain successfully several times; convert the material to Water in Reality (leave as Clear water) with the ripple all the way down to zero. You can add a bit of color but I try to get it as close to the environment it's sitting it, if not just a straight puddle or whatnot. The preview box will look black, but it renders fine. 

For the puddle obj's, you can set it to SubD through Studio with edit--Geometry--Convert to SubD. This may or may not trip the vertex winding in Lux, but I've had some that do and it renders fine regardless.

Matter of fact, I did one yesterday that ran the error and came out fine. Post a pic in a minute. 

crimsonworx.com; free ebooks and previews

I've bowed down to facebook: https://www.facebook.com/crimsonworx

Doctorjellybean ( ) posted Wed, 03 October 2012 at 4:14 PM

Quote - Post a pic in a minute. 

It has been 4 minutes now .....

My DA Gallery

Xandi ( ) posted Wed, 03 October 2012 at 4:25 PM

I can get the flask to render with a color, but I really wanted a texture on the glass.  Do I need to make some sort of map for it, or can I use a flat texture? Also, does the texture go in the transmission channel?  I think so but thought I'd double check.

superboomturbo ( ) posted Wed, 03 October 2012 at 4:37 PM

Quote - > Quote - Post a pic in a minute. 

It has been 4 minutes now .....

I got distracted on dA!

Doctorjellybean ( ) posted Wed, 03 October 2012 at 4:38 PM

The best way to learn is to try and experiment :) Yes, the texture goes in the Transmission Map channel. A flat texture will do, but as I said experiment.

My DA Gallery

superboomturbo ( ) posted Wed, 03 October 2012 at 4:45 PM

Quote - I can get the flask to render with a color, but I really wanted a texture on the glass.  Do I need to make some sort of map for it, or can I use a flat texture? Also, does the texture go in the transmission channel?  I think so but thought I'd double check.

Textures on glass are tricky at the best of times. If it has a texture made for an object but never intended to be rendered as glass, these are easier to work with.

If you're adding a texture to what is being rendered as glass but there is no UV map for said object, you'll probably end up with stretching and distortion of the texture, but nonetheless, it can be done. 

Make sure your image is a jpg and place in the transmission channel within Reality (after changing your matieral to glass, of course). Why this works with a jpg and not a png baffles me, but isn't terribly important for your needs.

Andway, set transmission and reflection colors as close to white (like 250 250 250 is good) and Architectural for the mode (helps to get the glass as clear as possible without resorting to Hyper). 

Rayman29 ( ) posted Wed, 03 October 2012 at 7:00 PM · edited Wed, 03 October 2012 at 7:06 PM

file_487261.png

Backlight. Wide softbox with snoot to appoximate light from a window.   35mm lens.

Rayman29 ( ) posted Wed, 03 October 2012 at 9:45 PM

Attached Link: David Hockney BBC

Came across this interesting  docu.  Looks at the possible influence of optics on Renaissance art.

StevieC ( ) posted Wed, 03 October 2012 at 10:26 PM · edited Wed, 03 October 2012 at 10:27 PM

This is basically a test to see if Namib Extreme Quality Landscaper for Poser, (found here), would work in Reality/Lux, since they claim to contain over a million polygons in their builds....I femoved the skydome, (too dark),added Reality sun and an IBL, and replaced their water plane with Reality's....after 5 1/2 hours, it rendered 937 s/p, and did not crash Lux, so, suffice it to say, it works in Daz and Reality/Lux!

superboomturbo ( ) posted Wed, 03 October 2012 at 11:36 PM · edited Wed, 03 October 2012 at 11:36 PM

Quote - This is basically a test to see if Namib Extreme Quality Landscaper for Poser, (found here), would work in Reality/Lux, since they claim to contain over a million polygons in their builds....I femoved the skydome, (too dark),added Reality sun and an IBL, and replaced their water plane with Reality's....after 5 1/2 hours, it rendered 937 s/p, and did not crash Lux, so, suffice it to say, it works in Daz and Reality/Lux!

This is quite the piece, Stevie! Did you add the haze, or was it part of the package? That sun flare works a treat as well!

mbin ( ) posted Thu, 04 October 2012 at 12:04 AM

Quote - Backlight. Wide softbox with snoot to appoximate light from a window.   35mm lens.

looking very nice Rayman, love the window lighting! `¬)

MyDeviantArtGallery

mbin ( ) posted Thu, 04 October 2012 at 1:35 AM · edited Thu, 04 October 2012 at 1:38 AM

Quote - This is basically a test to see if Namib Extreme Quality Landscaper for Poser, (found here), would work in Reality/Lux, since they claim to contain over a million polygons in their builds....I femoved the skydome, (too dark),added Reality sun and an IBL, and replaced their water plane with Reality's....after 5 1/2 hours, it rendered 937 s/p, and did not crash Lux, so, suffice it to say, it works in Daz and Reality/Lux!

Likeing this, and some great lens flare...

MyDeviantArtGallery

StevieC ( ) posted Thu, 04 October 2012 at 4:32 AM

There is a fog prop with the set, but didn't have the time or patience to play with it, so I used an old freebiee mist panel from sharecg.....will set up a few more scenes with this, and maybe use the Reality fog prop instead....glad you like it!

mbin ( ) posted Thu, 04 October 2012 at 6:47 AM

If you have any issues with the Reality fog, let me know... I've spent a bit of time with that one! `¬) (certainly with the image above, it may not give the results you expect!)

MyDeviantArtGallery

bobvan ( ) posted Thu, 04 October 2012 at 9:43 AM · edited Thu, 04 October 2012 at 9:53 AM

Attached Link: Presentation

file_487276.jpg

Fun fun! In the spirit of playing well, respecting Paolo's whishes and 11 yr olds around the world (LOL) while you guys are having fun with Paolo's challenge I have set a personal one. When Land Of The Giants was presented, Irwin Allan who was also behind Lost In Space used that ship with a mix of live action and printed slides to pitch his idea as seen in this youtube vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMlaS5VnBHU&list=FLsTMGafHo6IXZjFooKUIwLQ&index=6&feature=plpp_video

This wond up looking quite different then the actual pilot episode therefore I have taken the challenge of rendering said video. here are my 1st few renders. Love the film response to get the inside the ship's cockpit lighting.

OT a thanks to the Doc who forwarded my DS boot problem through the bug tracker.

bobvan ( ) posted Thu, 04 October 2012 at 9:44 AM

Attached Link: cockpit

file_487277.jpg

bobvan ( ) posted Thu, 04 October 2012 at 9:45 AM

Attached Link: cockpit 2

file_487278.jpg

BradHP ( ) posted Thu, 04 October 2012 at 10:51 AM · edited Thu, 04 October 2012 at 10:52 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=2373001

That glass is never going to clear up so I just gave up. 

KrazyHorse ( ) posted Thu, 04 October 2012 at 11:33 AM

Quote - That glass is never going to clear up so I just gave up. 

Another nice one.  That glass looks more like a transparency issue than a noise problem.  Do you have texture or trans map applied to it?

AbiJ ( ) posted Thu, 04 October 2012 at 5:19 PM

My latest...

Enjoy,

Abi.

WARNING: This user is officially A TEASE!

Rendo Gallery...

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?user_id=730935

DA Gallery...

http://abijen.deviantart.com/gallery/

Proud artist on...

http://www.facebook.com/DigitalStardust

FSMCDesigns ( ) posted Thu, 04 October 2012 at 5:23 PM

Quote - My latest...

Enjoy,

Abi.

Very nice Abi! Like the DOF and the pose. Would have been cool to carve something in the stone where her hand is.

So what is she thinking about???

Regards, Michael

My DeviantArt page

AbiJ ( ) posted Thu, 04 October 2012 at 5:28 PM

Quote - > Quote - My latest...

Enjoy,

Abi.

Very nice Abi! Like the DOF and the pose. Would have been cool to carve something in the stone where her hand is.

Thanks, I was thinking of a little grafitti under her finger, I'll have to decide on texture overlay in DS or postwork it in.

As for her thoughts, that'd be telling!  hehe

Abi.

WARNING: This user is officially A TEASE!

Rendo Gallery...

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?user_id=730935

DA Gallery...

http://abijen.deviantart.com/gallery/

Proud artist on...

http://www.facebook.com/DigitalStardust

Doctorjellybean ( ) posted Fri, 05 October 2012 at 12:33 AM

Quote - > Quote - My latest...

Enjoy,

Abi.

About the Doc, what else 😉

Very nice indeed!

My DA Gallery

superboomturbo ( ) posted Fri, 05 October 2012 at 3:51 AM

Quote - > Quote - > Quote - My latest...

Enjoy,

Abi.

About the Doc, what else 😉

Very nice indeed!

Yeah, probably plotting a Lorena Bobbit halloween costume for the 'ol Doc... 

StevieC ( ) posted Fri, 05 October 2012 at 4:01 AM

Quote - If you have any issues with the Reality fog, let me know... I've spent a bit of time with that one! `¬) (certainly with the image above, it may not give the results you expect!)

Have always admired your renders mbin, and your The Secret Place render is spectacular! Actually have a scene set up on stand by, which I was hoping to get a similar fog effect as you have in The Secret Place, but inside of a large hall. The hall has stained glass windows, which are actually just planes with textures of a stained glass window on them. One question I have off the top of my head, would the windows work as light if I set them to light with textures in Reality? That alone, I realize is not enough light, but if I left one wall open behind the camera and added a sun, would that reflect enough light for the fog prop to give the desired affect? Any advise you give would be much appreciated!

mousso ( ) posted Fri, 05 October 2012 at 6:17 AM

Quote - I've used Flinks rain successfully several times; convert the material to Water in Reality (leave as Clear water) with the ripple all the way down to zero. You can add a bit of color but I try to get it as close to the environment it's sitting it, if not just a straight puddle or whatnot. The preview box will look black, but it renders fine. 

For the puddle obj's, you can set it to SubD through Studio with edit--Geometry--Convert to SubD. This may or may not trip the vertex winding in Lux, but I've had some that do and it renders fine regardless.

Matter of fact, I did one yesterday that ran the error and came out fine. Post a pic in a minute. 

Thank you for helping superboomturbo. I tried the settings you suggested and no luck. I get this warning with both the imported OBJ and the pz2 in Lux: Parameter 'reject_warmup' not used

Shape #0 (plymesh): Inconsistent vertex winding in mesh, aborting subdivision.

I guess I just have to give up splashes in my scenes.

I dont know why my text became dark O.o

mousso ( ) posted Fri, 05 October 2012 at 6:21 AM

file_487314.jpg

Here is a render I made with Reality/Lux. It baked for 2 days :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.