Fri, Sep 20, 8:18 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 6:55 am)

Subject: Poser 9 crash after Genesis/DSON install

dwj012754 ( ) posted Wed, 31 October 2012 at 8:33 AM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 6:45 AM

I haven't had any luck so far in the DAZ forum, so I thought I would try some of the genius group, here.

I purchased the V5 suite and have had a lot of problems getting things to work.  I can load Genesis, but no other character will work and results in Poser 9 failing.  I am a Windows 7 user.

At at a loss after yesterday, I uninstalled Poser 9, then reinstalled it to a new directory, installed the SR3.1 update, and then installed the DSON importer to the new location, and installed the two Genesis starter packages to c:DAZ3D.  This left me with the default picture with the Andy2 Robot.  I added a new runtime pointing to c:DAZ3DRuntime.

I was able to add Genesis.  When I tried to add the basic female, the messages went ‘Loading CR2 file’, ‘applying settings to actors’, and then Poser crashed with “Poser executable file has stopped working”.  This is the same issue I had all along.

When I go to Scripts - DSON Importer Preferences and look at the log, I see:

DSONPoser Starting Wed Oct 31 09:03:26 2012

creating Scene

DSON Importer

Setup

DSON Write Path: C:/SmithMicroPoser/Poser 9/Runtime/DSON/auto_adapted

Parsing DSON File…

Scanning for dynamic assets…

Writing character file…

Loading CR2 File

Applying settings to actors…

Then - Kaboom, Poser 9 crashes.

For those who have been successful, have I missed a step?

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 31 October 2012 at 9:27 AM · edited Wed, 31 October 2012 at 9:27 AM

Try turning off your antivirus and then try Genesis again. You could be running out of memory, but it's hard to say.

Laurie

FrankT ( ) posted Wed, 31 October 2012 at 2:32 PM

I get exactly the same thing - I gave up in the end, it's not worth the hassle

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

wimvdb ( ) posted Wed, 31 October 2012 at 3:45 PM

There are a couple of things you probably have checked, but it does not hurt to verify this.

You have Poser 9 - Did you install the 32 bit version of DSON?

Have you tried setting the "Writable Runtime" to another runtime as the default you have? From the log it seems you have installed Poser to c:SmithMicroPoserPoser 9. Is this folder writeable? (It should since it is outside the program folders, but asking just to be sure). And is this also the location where you installed the DSON Importer?
The problem you have could be caused by not being able to write the temporary cr2 folder or Poser not being able to access it

dwj012754 ( ) posted Wed, 31 October 2012 at 4:39 PM

Thanks for the suggestions.  I tried using the Security tab on the folder to make it accessible to all users.  I tried setting the Writeable Runtime folder to the Poser9 Runtime.  In all cases, the program still blows up after applying actor settings.  I also tried setting it to my users/public/DAZ3D, but to no avail.

wimvdb ( ) posted Wed, 31 October 2012 at 5:53 PM

Since it looks like the save is causing the crash, it is possible that an AntiVirus program interferes (as Laurie suggested). With a single figure, I don't think it is a memory issue, but it does not hurt to check: Look at task manager and see how much memory Poser uses. If it is approaching or getting over 1.5GB you might be in trouble here.

Ah, and one thing I forgot: Have you disabled Multithreaded Bending in the General Preferences. That seemed to cause some problems as well

dwj012754 ( ) posted Mon, 05 November 2012 at 7:17 AM

I did want to complete this post, just in case someone else searched and located it.  I tried all the above suggestions, de-installed and re-installed numerous times.  On my Windows 7 machine, I could never get it to not crash after adding basic child or basic female or basic male, even though the genesis character would install.

I always installed Poser 9, followed by SR3.1, followed by the DSON importer to the runtime directory.  I tried installing the two Genesis packages to the runtime, into the default My Documents and other areas.

I then tried it on my home machine with Vista - same problem.  Sigh...

I then tried it on my second work machine, Windows XP.

In all cases, I get crash to the desktop whenever I add in the basic characters, except for Genesis.  When I add in things like hair or clothes, I get error messages, but the actual item does render in the screen. 

AttributeError: SetGamma Traceback (most recent call last):   File "C:Usersdenjones.TURNERDocumentsGenesis EssentialsRuntimelibrariesCharacterDAZ HairAldoraAldora Hair.py", line 2, in     dson.dzdsonimporter.loadCompanionDSONFile( sys.argv[0] ); SystemError: NULL result without error in PyObject_Call

I can see files being created in the data directories for these items.  However, adding in any of the basic characters crashes for all environments.

I will just have to wait and see if future versions of the DSON import might work.

monkeycloud ( ) posted Thu, 08 November 2012 at 2:46 AM

I've also found crashes occurring, when previously I didn't, trying to put together the kind of scenes I like to make with it.

Its generally okay for me using a single Genesis based character, with one or two conformers.

But instability when using more, up to five, mixed with other non-genesis based figures certainly... but also with just multiple Genesis figures...appears to creep in and eventually I just get constant abnormal program terminations and the scene I've spent time constructing becomes un-loadable.

Memory usage seems to climb exponentially... certainly with multiple frames in a scene... e.g. when a cloth sim has been used... The DSON loader goes ballistic trying to re-parse (as far as I can see) and I'm inclined to suspect there are memory leak type issues, of some sort, occurring???

So I am now not using it or investing further until the next build is out... and I will check it again at that point.

monkeycloud ( ) posted Thu, 08 November 2012 at 3:11 AM · edited Thu, 08 November 2012 at 3:14 AM

I've certainly had plenty success getting conforming clothing converted, getting everything else to work...

However, unfortunately, in my experience, it struggles with... or is apparently just not stable enough full stop, as yet... to cope with multiple figures in a fairly content busy scene... and sadly that's pretty much a show stopper for me.

I have thought about clothing and posing each Genesis figure in a separate scene, then geometry baking it, for use in my main scene... and I may still revert to using it in that way.

But that's a pretty significant compromise... that I don't generally need to make when using V4, M4, K4 etc... or now Miki4, Tyler, Anastasia...

...or Swidhelm's Alien... as I'm currently using, many times, in one scene.

I am certainly keen to use it... and in principle think it is... or rather could be... great.

So keeping a close eye on further builds coming out...

Maybe it just needs some way to "compile" the Genesis figure you've dialled up and clothed into a more conventional Poser CR2 and Geometry file, once you're happy with what you have dialed up?? Not so much "geometry baking" as "cr2 baking"??

I wonder if that could in fact be scripted 3rd party... or if Daz's .dsf / .duf file formats are too proprietary to allow that?

I guess this might be feasible using the DS4.5 SDK...

However... I think really, either Daz need to facilitate something like the above... or just get the DSON Loader better optimised (maybe just less reload / re-parse happy perhaps) for Poser usage scenarios beyond simply "load a single V5 against a background image, slightly pose, maybe cloth, render" ;-)

moriador ( ) posted Thu, 08 November 2012 at 11:37 AM

Quote - However, unfortunately, in my experience, it struggles with... or is apparently just not stable enough full stop, as yet... to cope with multiple figures in a fairly content busy scene... and sadly that's pretty much a show stopper for me.

Forum understatement of the year, Monks! ;)

PS: I love the hallucinogenic/dream quality of your renders.

PoserPro 2014, PS CS5.5 Ext, Nikon D300. Win 8, i7-4770 @ 3.4 GHz, AMD Radeon 8570, 12 GB RAM.

wimvdb ( ) posted Thu, 08 November 2012 at 2:29 PM

I agree with monkeycloud. It is simply not good enough yet to be an alternative for the gen4 figures. Everything is fine with single figure scenes, but something more comples is not really doable due to its slowness, memory usage and stability. Clothing conversion is a hit or miss, anything detailed is usually a miss when morphs are used.

I still use it for the occasional creature. but not for human figures.

monkeycloud ( ) posted Thu, 08 November 2012 at 4:00 PM

Quote - Forum understatement of the year, Monks! ;)

PS: I love the hallucinogenic/dream quality of your renders.

Thanks very much Moriador :-)

I suspect you might like the scene that I was trying to put together with the five genesis characters in it in that case...

...but it will only now see the light of day if whatever is now causing Poser to crash, whenever I load the scene, is either resolved in the just released build 1.0.0.27... or gets fixed soon...

...or if I decide I can face rebuilding it using V4 / K4 ;-)

Oh yeah... it is needing Zev0's veins too actually... he he.

Well... I guess I'll install 1.0.0.27 and give it a go. Basically that scene is now my benchmark... once I can get that scene to load without Poser crashing, then I guess I can proceed with using the DSON Importer / Genesis some more.

monkeycloud ( ) posted Thu, 08 November 2012 at 4:31 PM

Hmmm... that scene still crashed when I moved to the final frame (frame 30).

However, 1.0.0.27 is definitely showing some performance improvements.

Enough in fact that I was able to move to frame 11... at which the Genesis figures were actually in pose... and then I was able to save each one as a cr2, without Poser crashing.

I've already reconstructed the rest of the scene (all the non-Genesis elements) and proven it doesn't crash without them in it. So I guess I will try adding them back into that reconstructed scene and see if that crashes once more... or not.

monkeycloud ( ) posted Thu, 08 November 2012 at 4:52 PM

Nope - what was weird... when I saved my Genesis figures as cr2s and loaded them back in to a new scene, they loaded back in with their limbs all subtly mangled.

Like their limbs had been transformed into serpents a little. Actually that effect was not inappropriate for the scene, on many levels.

But then I tried saving the scene, and Poser crashed.

Male_M3dia ( ) posted Thu, 08 November 2012 at 8:29 PM · edited Thu, 08 November 2012 at 8:31 PM

Quote - Nope - what was weird... when I saved my Genesis figures as cr2s and loaded them back in to a new scene, they loaded back in with their limbs all subtly mangled.

I wouldn't think that would work, considering what you're doing is trying to save it into a native Poser format. Once saved DSON or Poser wouldn't properly handle it, so it's crashing. You'd have to make a character present in DS, or maybe put a feature request to have a python script to create a character preset file that uses a cr2 to interface with it.

monkeycloud ( ) posted Fri, 09 November 2012 at 1:48 AM

Thanks Male_M3dia - I guessed that was the issue. It still leaves the issue of how to save Scene elements, made up of Genesis, for easy re-use... which is a major part of my workflow at least.

However... after some more playing around last night, I managed to delete everything apart from my Genesis figures from the scene, at frame 1.

Then I cut the scene down to just the 11 frames. Then saved that as a Scene file, to the new Poser Scene library.

Then I imported that scene back into my new reconstructed scene, in which I had removed / baked in the single piece of cloth dynamics that required the original 30 frames.

So far, have managed to work a bit more on that new reconstructed scene without it crashing.

Fingers crossed.

There are definitely improvements in build 1.0.0.27, in terms of performance. At least, for now, I've got back to having a use-able scene... and it does have everything in it... which is a pretty reasonable amount of content, no denying that!

monkeycloud ( ) posted Fri, 09 November 2012 at 2:17 AM · edited Fri, 09 November 2012 at 2:31 AM

I suspect what I need the DSON Importer to do, to properly optimise it for my requirements, around content heavy scenes, is to have an option to remove all unused Genesis morphs from the "virtual cr2" it builds...

just a guess, but I suspect the memory problems are due to it loading the whole Genesis stack, as installed into the "data" folder, into each Poser Genesis cr2 / figure definition that gets loaded into a scene?

it strikes me that such an option, to easily turn off unused morphs, at source (the DSON Importer Genesis data parsing / cr2 building routine), could be one of the fundamental benefits, even, that this dynamic / virtual cr2 system could deliver?

Of course, such an option, to exclude all unused morphs when the DSON Importer recompiled an instance of a Genesis figure, would need to be accompanied by a reciprocal function, to re-include all.

moriador ( ) posted Fri, 09 November 2012 at 4:13 AM

You can save scenes with Genesis in them? Really?

How do you make renders? Do everything in one sitting and hope the final render turns out perfect?

Yikes.

PoserPro 2014, PS CS5.5 Ext, Nikon D300. Win 8, i7-4770 @ 3.4 GHz, AMD Radeon 8570, 12 GB RAM.

monkeycloud ( ) posted Fri, 09 November 2012 at 5:30 AM

Yup, saving scenes, to the scene library, and importing those back into another scene, works... It would be a poor show if it didn't I guess!?

And yes... I'm usually doing it all or nothing in the render! ;-) No compositing...

wimvdb ( ) posted Fri, 09 November 2012 at 5:46 AM

Actually, I am able to save genesis figures to the library and in scenes and read them back again without problems.

When loaded, the DSON importer kicks in again and loads all the assets agian. The figures load as I saved them with DSONed clothing.

I do have the external binaries On however, maybe that makes a difference

monkeycloud ( ) posted Fri, 09 November 2012 at 10:21 AM

Quote - Actually, I am able to save genesis figures to the library and in scenes and read them back again without problems.

When loaded, the DSON importer kicks in again and loads all the assets agian. The figures load as I saved them with DSONed clothing.

I do have the external binaries On however, maybe that makes a difference

Actually, likewise. I was forgetting that I have previously saved Genesis figures as cr2 format files and reloaded them, without obvious issues.

The only difference I can think of, in the recent case of this corrupted scene, wherein loading back in a Genesis figure saved as a cr2 resulted in mesh distortions, was that I was saving the group, with conformers... whereas, previously I only saved the individual figure.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.