Wed, Oct 2, 11:32 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 02 9:25 am)

Subject: Showcase your Poser dynamic hair (Hair Room)

Believable3D ( ) posted Sun, 16 December 2012 at 12:02 AM · edited Wed, 02 October 2024 at 11:31 PM

file_489520.jpg

Every once in a while I like to post on this subject, for several reasons. First, because the Hair Room's potential is huge compared to transmapped hair. I'm talking in terms of flexibility and realism. So I want to encourage others in their efforts.

Second, the Hair Room is admittedly a bit of a challenge. But the more people who are using it and asking for improvements, the more likely it is that Smith Micro will continue to develop it into everything it can be.

Third, these discussions frequently draw out those who have been most successful with the Hair Room—people like Carodan, who has had some pretty astonishing dynamic hair renders—who throw out helpful tips that makes everyone better.

Although I'm gradually improving, my own biggest struggle with the Hair Room at this stage is getting a neat, predictable style so that the hair isn't either gapped or intertwined. So far as materials and rendering, I'm reasonably happy, although of course lighter hair is more of a challenge than darker hair. (Tip: make sure you check Opaque in Shadow—it really helps.)

One thing to observe is that dynamic hair by default loads with a shading rate of 8.00 (!). You need to change that if you want good renders. Also, if your computer can handle it change the thickness of the strands downward (and correspondingly, increase the quantity). My latest stuff is .15 at the tip and .4 at the root, which I think works pretty well.

Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X/MSI MAG570 Tomahawk X570/Zotac Geforce GTX 1650 Super 4GB/32GB OLOy RAM

Software: Windows 10 Professional/Poser Pro 11/Photoshop/Postworkshop 3

monkeycloud ( ) posted Sun, 16 December 2012 at 4:37 AM

That's looking nice Believable3d.

I haven't done much if anything in the hair room as yet... I've just not known where to start with achieving a convincing effect with it.

What I've seen of Carodan's work in the hair room, for example, in a previous thread here, looked amazing though... seeing some more info and examples on effective use of the hair room, here in the forum, would be great. 

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sun, 16 December 2012 at 7:39 AM
Site Admin

Here's one that I'm working on right now.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sun, 16 December 2012 at 7:44 AM
Site Admin

This one is my favorite style. I'm thinking I should remake it for an adult but maybe it's too cutsie for that.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sun, 16 December 2012 at 7:56 AM
Site Admin

I think these 2 show a bit of what dynamic hair can do as far as movement.

BionicRooster ( ) posted Sun, 16 December 2012 at 9:57 AM
Forum Moderator

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

Here's one I did not too long ago.

Poser 10

Octane Render

Wings 3D

Anthanasius ( ) posted Sun, 16 December 2012 at 10:21 AM

This one look very nice, need just working on the shader ;)

Génération mobiles Le Forum / Le Site

cedarwolf ( ) posted Sun, 16 December 2012 at 10:22 AM

Nice.  I'll have to check the dynamic hair and experiment.

vilters ( ) posted Sun, 16 December 2012 at 10:51 AM

file_489554.jpg

Hair and clothing experiment

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

mysticeagle ( ) posted Sun, 16 December 2012 at 10:52 AM

I wonder whether people would be willing to share their dynamic settings as well, the hair room is one room that has always intrigued me and always eluded me.....

OS: Windows7 64-bit Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2430M CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)  6GB Ram
Poser: Poser Pro 2012 SR3.1 ...Poser 8.........Poser5 on a bad day........
Daz Studio Pro 4.5  64bit

Carrara beta 8.5

Modelling: Silo/Hexagon/Groboto V3
Image Editing: PSP V9/Irfanview
Movie Editing. Cyberlink power director/Windows live movie maker

"I live in an unfinished , poorly lit box, but we call it home"

My freestuff   

link via my artist page

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Sun, 16 December 2012 at 12:12 PM

file_489557.jpg

Here are some of mine:  I mostly use the Hair room for fur on my clothing creations.

This one has two sets: one on the shoulder cape, and another setting on the boots.  

RosemaryR
---------------------------
"This...this is magnificent!"
"Oh, yeah. Ooooo. Aaaaah. That's how it starts.
Then, later, there's ...running. And....screaming."

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Sun, 16 December 2012 at 12:13 PM

file_489558.jpg

I used a shorter setting for denser fur on this piece.

RosemaryR

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Sun, 16 December 2012 at 12:16 PM

I also included several pre-made hair settings on my ShareCQ fur hats  (which currently seems to be offline at the moment, or I would give a link.) 

RosemaryR

bagoas ( ) posted Sun, 16 December 2012 at 1:00 PM

Good to see this aspect of Poser gets attention. I have always been at a loss when it comes to the hair room.

I remember one single successful appliciation that used a 'moniker', a low-res cape type representation of the figure that was used as collision surface. The hair was connected to the moniker, and the moniker was to be conformed to the figure. The moniker was fully transparant and just served as collision surface.  

Michael314 ( ) posted Sun, 16 December 2012 at 3:29 PM

file_489568.jpg

Hello,

this is how far I got.  Always fighting with bald spots ;-)

Best regards,

Michael

Eric Walters ( ) posted Sun, 16 December 2012 at 3:54 PM

I like the top one! The hair is falling as it should. No small thing when most poser hair does not! Care to share settings?

Quote - I think these 2 show a bit of what dynamic hair can do as far as movement.

Eric Walters ( ) posted Sun, 16 December 2012 at 3:56 PM

Looks good!

Quote - Here are some of mine:  I mostly use the Hair room for fur on my clothing creations.

This one has two sets: one on the shoulder cape, and another setting on the boots.  

Eric Walters ( ) posted Sun, 16 December 2012 at 3:57 PM

Looks very good indeed.

Quote - Hello,

this is how far I got.  Always fighting with bald spots ;-)

Best regards,

Michael

estherau ( ) posted Sun, 16 December 2012 at 4:14 PM

good idea for a thread!

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sun, 16 December 2012 at 4:57 PM
Site Admin

Here is the settings for the one of Vicky leaning forwards.

Believable3D ( ) posted Sun, 16 December 2012 at 7:37 PM · edited Sun, 16 December 2012 at 7:41 PM

file_489576.jpg

Another hair colour. One of the key things with blonde is not to get it too light and bright. Most real hair isn't like that.

Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X/MSI MAG570 Tomahawk X570/Zotac Geforce GTX 1650 Super 4GB/32GB OLOy RAM

aRtBee ( ) posted Mon, 17 December 2012 at 3:13 AM

for those who want to kick off, I did some hair room tuts on my website (www.book.artbeeweb.nl). They clarify the principles and the settings at least. Please note that some settings follow your global Poser Units settings, so people using metrics (meter) need values different from those using Imperial units (inches).

I had some personal - time consuming - drawbacks last months, but I'll pick up the last open ends of the hair (and cloth) tuts in a month or so.

Good thread, thanks for starting it (and for contributing). My general opinion on the presented examples is that thinner hair at higher density might look more natural, more "city girl" and less "farmers daughter".

- - - - - 

Usually I'm wrong. But to be effective and efficient, I don't need to be correct or accurate.

visit www.aRtBeeWeb.nl (works) or Missing Manuals (tutorials & reviews) - both need an update though

dadt ( ) posted Mon, 17 December 2012 at 3:25 AM

file_489587.jpg

I have used nothing but dynamic hair since it was first introduced, but I very seldom drape it. For shorter styles it is not needed and if used the hair droops and loses the styling.

This is a typical hair of mine.

aRtBee ( ) posted Mon, 17 December 2012 at 3:45 AM

impressive, great character too!

- - - - - 

Usually I'm wrong. But to be effective and efficient, I don't need to be correct or accurate.

visit www.aRtBeeWeb.nl (works) or Missing Manuals (tutorials & reviews) - both need an update though

dadt ( ) posted Mon, 17 December 2012 at 7:31 AM

file_489589.jpg

Another example

bagoas ( ) posted Mon, 17 December 2012 at 10:59 AM

dadt, you can add 'maitre coiffeur' in your profile! Chapeau!

carodan ( ) posted Mon, 17 December 2012 at 11:37 AM

Quote - I have used nothing but dynamic hair since it was first introduced, but I very seldom drape it. For shorter styles it is not needed and if used the hair droops and loses the styling.

This is a typical hair of mine.

Love it - this one works particularly well.

I really want to see the hair room develop in the next versions of Poser. As has already been said, huge potential but tricky to get a grasp of. There are also some shortcomings with regard to shading & lighting.

PoserPro2014(Sr4), Win7 x64, display units set to inches.

www.danielroseartnew.weebly.com

carodan ( ) posted Mon, 17 December 2012 at 11:43 AM

file_489602.jpg

A few examples...

carodan ( ) posted Mon, 17 December 2012 at 11:45 AM

file_489603.jpg

shadows not so good on this one

carodan ( ) posted Mon, 17 December 2012 at 11:46 AM

file_489604.jpg

kink settings etc

carodan ( ) posted Mon, 17 December 2012 at 11:47 AM

file_489605.jpg

A little grey hair (maybe a bit wirey)

carodan ( ) posted Mon, 17 December 2012 at 11:49 AM

file_489606.jpg

shorter...(actually this was a James strand hair)

carodan ( ) posted Mon, 17 December 2012 at 11:56 AM

file_489607.jpg

You can get pretty fine strands going

carodan ( ) posted Mon, 17 December 2012 at 11:57 AM

file_489608.jpg

That first one again in different lighting

richardson ( ) posted Mon, 17 December 2012 at 12:07 PM

Daniel,

Did you have emitter unchecked? If not, have you rendered any of these in Pro2012? These are great. I wonder why light beams do not seem to penetrate through the hair strands onto the shoulders on (2nd) above?

randym77 ( ) posted Mon, 17 December 2012 at 12:36 PM

I like that curly style.  (And your model looks like Cally from Blake's 7.  ;-)

I am not using dynamic hair as much as I used to, because the shaders I used to use with older versions of Poser don't look the same.  For some reason, dynamic hair really looks different depending on the lighting.  Shaders that were very glossy, maybe even too shiny with conventional lighting look very flat and dull under the envirosphere. 

carodan ( ) posted Mon, 17 December 2012 at 1:03 PM

richardson - emitter was checked, but these were a good while ago (I think PP2012 though). I should revisit.

randym77 - heh, now that's a blast from the past...Blakes7. The lack of shine under EnvSphere will be due to IDL only dealing with diffuse light - no specular.

mysticeagle ( ) posted Mon, 17 December 2012 at 2:58 PM

i was looking forward to seeing some examples from tool_pepe, in a previous thread much earlier this year he was making some great dynamic hairs...

OS: Windows7 64-bit Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2430M CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)  6GB Ram
Poser: Poser Pro 2012 SR3.1 ...Poser 8.........Poser5 on a bad day........
Daz Studio Pro 4.5  64bit

Carrara beta 8.5

Modelling: Silo/Hexagon/Groboto V3
Image Editing: PSP V9/Irfanview
Movie Editing. Cyberlink power director/Windows live movie maker

"I live in an unfinished , poorly lit box, but we call it home"

My freestuff   

link via my artist page

dadt ( ) posted Mon, 17 December 2012 at 3:09 PM

file_489613.jpg

A very simple hair for Blakes 7 fans

Cage ( ) posted Mon, 17 December 2012 at 3:58 PM

file_489616.jpg

The only thing close to a successful dynamic hair render I have to offer.  I still can't swing the hair design tools, even those I put together myself.  :lol:  😢

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

bopperthijs ( ) posted Mon, 17 December 2012 at 5:09 PM

file_489618.jpg

Some stylized dynamic hair I did some months ago. I tried to resemble a real coupe from a photo, but it was harder than I thought.

best regards,

Bopper.

-How can you improve things when you don't make mistakes?

bopperthijs ( ) posted Mon, 17 December 2012 at 5:11 PM · edited Mon, 17 December 2012 at 5:12 PM

file_489619.jpg

This is one of Adorana's hair, but made fit for V4 and a bit restyled.

bopperthijs ( ) posted Mon, 17 December 2012 at 5:14 PM

file_489620.jpg

Another of Adorana, also made fit for V4 and a little restyling. The restyling was mostly a raise of the numbers of hairs, and making the hair a little longer. And a new shader.

bopperthijs ( ) posted Mon, 17 December 2012 at 5:16 PM

file_489621.jpg

An experiment with dynamic "wet" hair.

Believable3D ( ) posted Mon, 17 December 2012 at 6:04 PM

Is anyone here trying SSS on hair? I realize it would completely bog down the time of the render, but if I understand things right, it should have good effect on the appearance.

As it is, with my new system, I'm keeping everything fully visible to raytracing and acting as emitters. Couldn't do that with my old machine....

RedPhantom ( ) posted Mon, 17 December 2012 at 7:03 PM
Site Admin

I tried the ezskin hair shader on it but that didn't work at all. There was a thread on it at rdna but it was a no go. Someone said it was because the hair didn't have any true geometry. Here is the link if you want it.  http://forum.runtimedna.com/showthread.php?73865-SSS-on-dynamic-hair

Believable3D ( ) posted Mon, 17 December 2012 at 8:14 PM

Thanks, RedPhantom. It would be nice if the SM developers would weigh in whether or not it can be done. I wonder if it would make much difference.

Believable3D ( ) posted Mon, 17 December 2012 at 11:29 PM

file_489631.jpg

I just love how light plays off Hair Room hair compared to transmapped.

Could have gone a little finer with the hair strands here. I've backed off my fineness settings a little with recent renders to get things to look fuller, but I'm working my way back down while upping density.

icandy265 ( ) posted Mon, 17 December 2012 at 11:34 PM

This was my very first render after I got Poser 9, it was my first try at EZskin and also love dynamic hair but it was too slow in Poser 7 so I wanted to see if it was faster and thank goodness it was cause this looks great...

The hair is Jessi_Short_Blonde that came with Poser 9, and it has a custom shader I made for the hair...The character is Katy for V4 (DAZ)... Hope you like it:

V4Realism_Katy_View-01, V4 Katy with SSS applied and dynamic hair.

Believable3D ( ) posted Mon, 17 December 2012 at 11:49 PM

Yeah, that Jessi Short hair is a nice little easy-to-use one. Your render looks good, but you can get it even better with further shader work.

icandy265 ( ) posted Tue, 18 December 2012 at 12:32 AM

Oh I know that, that was like 4 months ago... I'm waaaaaaaay better now, lol... that's just my favorite dynamic hairstyle

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.