Mon, Sep 23, 3:28 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 22 10:18 pm)

Subject: Flaky paint for POSER

JIMMYJOHN ( ) posted Mon, 14 January 2013 at 9:36 PM · edited Mon, 23 September 2024 at 3:27 AM

file_490543.jpg

Hello!

I'd like to achieve a look like the one seen in the samples attached:

not just metallic paint but "flaky metallic" paint. 

If it can be done, I suppose it is by the way of some kind of special shader.

Can someone please help? 

JIMMYJOHN ( ) posted Mon, 14 January 2013 at 9:37 PM

file_490544.jpg

Sample 2

JIMMYJOHN ( ) posted Mon, 14 January 2013 at 9:38 PM

file_490545.jpg

Sample 3

templargfx ( ) posted Mon, 14 January 2013 at 10:31 PM

This can be done with relative ease.

have a blender node plugged into the alternate diffuse, set the blending to 1 and attach a spot node to that.  Set spot color to black and the other to white.  Set scale to a really small number (play with it a little to get the right sized fleks)

colour 1 of the blender node is the base colour, attach a diffuse node to it and colour that accordingly.  Colour 2 is the fleck colour, attach a diffuse to that too and set its colour.

You will probably want to have another blender node controlled by the same spot node that splits up specular too.

When I get the chance I will show you what I mean

TemplarGFX
3D Hobbyist since 1996
I use poser native units

167 Car Materials for Poser

JIMMYJOHN ( ) posted Mon, 14 January 2013 at 10:38 PM

Thanks a lot!

I don't know much about shaders and the advanced mat wndow, so I'll try my bet with the indications you've diven me and see how it goes from there/ 

templargfx ( ) posted Mon, 14 January 2013 at 11:33 PM

file_490549.jpg

here is a really quick example.

TemplarGFX
3D Hobbyist since 1996
I use poser native units

JIMMYJOHN ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2013 at 9:28 AM

Thanks a lot my friend§

Your answer was so fast and the method used way over my competence: i would never ben able to achieve such result by myself.

And hopefully, at the same time it teaches me something. 

JIMMYJOHN ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2013 at 9:57 AM

Thanks a lot my friend§

Your answer was so fast and the method used way over my ability: i would never ben able to achieve such result by myself.

And hopefully, at the same time it teaches me something. 

JIMMYJOHN ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2013 at 11:03 PM

file_490590.jpg

Thanks, with you help, I'm achieving the exact desired look. 2 more questions, if you don't mind:
  • is there an easy way to transfer the color/texture onto other objects or do we have to go through the whole process in the advanced mat tab?

• is it possible to get a brushed aluminium look in the same fashion?

templargfx ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2013 at 11:13 PM · edited Tue, 15 January 2013 at 11:15 PM

once you have the material setup as you like it, open the library, switch to the material tab and save the material into your library. Then you can appy it to other objects by selecting the material group in the material editor and double clicking the saved material in the library.

for brushed aluminium replace the spot node with an FBM node.

In that nodes parameters are x scale, y scale and z scale.  If you want the brushed look to go left to right, make y and z scale really small. if you want it going up and down, make x and z scale really small. finally to get it going back and forward, make x and y scales really small. (This is assuming the object is not rotated in any way)

I dont have access to my computer today, so I am not 100% sure how accurate this information is, as its all from memory.  Again, I am happy to show you later. this time it will be a bit more of a wait. I finish work in about 3 hours.

EDIT

By the way, your render looks nice!  the material came out really well

TemplarGFX
3D Hobbyist since 1996
I use poser native units

JIMMYJOHN ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2013 at 11:30 PM

I think I get what you explained, I'll try it later. 

"TemplarGFX
 24 Years of 3D! Thats right, I started 3D when you had only 2 colors, black and white!"

Oh, you mean the irritating kind of table tennis played on the TV set?!!! 

Medzinatar ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2013 at 11:31 PM

Your texturing is coming along fine.

You might consider getting SnarlyGribblies EZmetal shaders (they are free) at

http://www.snarlygribbly.org/3d/forum/ 

They have many basic types and you can also learn a great deal about structure of shaders

templargfx ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2013 at 11:40 PM

Quote - I think I get what you explained, I'll try it later. 

"TemplarGFX
 24 Years of 3D! Thats right, I started 3D when you had only 2 colors, black and white!"

Oh, you mean the irritating kind of table tennis played on the TV set?!!! 

Im talking back in the day when 3D CAD Pro allowed you to visualize your cad design in 3d using phong shading and stipple blending of the black and white pixels to represent 3D form.
first object I created?  The starship enterprise!  +1 for Nerd-ness

TemplarGFX
3D Hobbyist since 1996
I use poser native units

JIMMYJOHN ( ) posted Wed, 16 January 2013 at 7:13 AM

Quote - Your texturing is coming along fine.

You might consider getting SnarlyGribblies EZmetal shaders (they are free) at

http://www.snarlygribbly.org/3d/forum/ 

They have many basic types and you can also learn a great deal about structure of shaders 

Thanks, useful site!

The merit of my succesful texture goes to Templargfx 

JIMMYJOHN ( ) posted Wed, 16 January 2013 at 7:16 AM

Quote -   Im talking back in the day when 3D CAD Pro allowed you to visualize your cad design in 3d using phong shading and stipple blending of the black and white pixels to represent 3D form.
first object I created?  The starship enterprise!  +1 for Nerd-ness

No offense, but I'm afraid I'm too young to even understand what you're talkin' about... 

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.