Mon, Jul 8, 3:31 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jul 07 8:11 pm)

Subject: Seeking Voice Actors

FRDungeonMaster ( ) posted Wed, 23 January 2013 at 6:28 AM · edited Sat, 06 July 2024 at 3:13 AM

Hi, My name is Ron.  I've been on Renderosity for at least 10 years now though i'm not overly active in the forums and i have not posted any new art for quite some time.

The truth is I did still art for a few years and learned a lot about poser but then I took an interest in animation and for the past 5 years i have been learning and practising animations.  I am not an expert by any means and still have much to learn.

Aside from being an artist I write and I have a story I believe is worth telling.  it is a fantasy tale and I have been working to bring it to life in what will be an animated web series that will be published on a youtube channel.  I don't expect to make any money on it but I am still doing it just for the fun of it. 

until now it has been entirely a solo project but i've been thinking about branching out with the production and my first thoughtsare to find voice actors to do the voices of my characters. 

If there are any among you who would like to try your hand at something like this, have some fun and perhaps make some new friends along the way drop me a message to my renderosity email and we can talk about it. 

There are many parts available from lead roles to bit parts.

As for equipment or tools basically all you need is a solid recording program on your computer, a decent microphone and a quiet environment in which to record.

So if you are interested give me a shout.

mysticeagle ( ) posted Wed, 23 January 2013 at 7:07 AM

seriously good luck with that Ron, some of us have been asking the same question for a couple of years, here's an idea that popped up in the animation forum, try contacting your local high school drama dept or a local amateur dramtic society and seeing if they want to get involved in the project, it's amazing what people will do to get a mention in movie credits, I've recently been trying all sorts of software voice changing packages, but imho there is no substitute for good voice actors.........

OS: Windows7 64-bit Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2430M CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)  6GB Ram
Poser: Poser Pro 2012 SR3.1 ...Poser 8.........Poser5 on a bad day........
Daz Studio Pro 4.5  64bit

Carrara beta 8.5

Modelling: Silo/Hexagon/Groboto V3
Image Editing: PSP V9/Irfanview
Movie Editing. Cyberlink power director/Windows live movie maker

"I live in an unfinished , poorly lit box, but we call it home"

My freestuff   

link via my artist page

monkeycloud ( ) posted Wed, 23 January 2013 at 7:20 AM · edited Wed, 23 January 2013 at 7:22 AM

Hmmm... I'd possibly be up for trying my hand at this sort of thing... I have the recording gear. Some pretty decent stuff left over from when I recorded more music.

What let's me down here will likely be my probable lack of acting ability (this is untested, admittedly), along with my various mild speech impediments, combined with potentially indecipherable local Scots accent, etc... he he ;)

Yeah, hmmm... lack of time is the big downer for me too...

Mystic's suggestion of local am dram groups sounds like more of a goer probably!

moriador ( ) posted Wed, 23 January 2013 at 9:27 PM

I'd the think the Scots accent might be a plus. They're quite hot at the moment, it seems.

I've considered doing this myself, though I base my belief that I might be capable on the statements of people trying to learn English that my voice is very clear and my enuniciation makes my English easy to understand. But the only recording eq I have is a Microsoft Lifechat. It's fine for language tutorials. May not be so good in a production environment.

If I had to scream or yell for a voice acting part... it could be a problem. I'd have to really psyche myself up for it, as well as warn my neighbours.

PoserPro 2014, PS CS5.5 Ext, Nikon D300. Win 8, i7-4770 @ 3.4 GHz, AMD Radeon 8570, 12 GB RAM.

monkeycloud ( ) posted Thu, 24 January 2013 at 2:32 AM

I definitely like the idea of giving this a go...

Maybe I should record a wee "voice reel". He he. Listen to how I actually sound.

My son is coming up for 14 months old now. I recite a poem for him, that I just kind of make up, to help him down to sleep at the moment... been doing that for a while... it started off as a kind of chant-like song... then evolved into something more spoken, and a bit more Dylan Thomas-esque (I think I'd describe it... he he). Now he's a bit older, I've been adding a proper, short bedtime story too.

Anyway all that reading aloud has certainly fired my interest in, at least maybe trying, something of this sort...

I am pretty short of time though just now... and likely to have less, come April.

Got a couple of website projects to keep me busy in my spare time, over the next couple of weeks or so certainly too.

But, yeah, reckon I'll have a go at recording a virtual reel of my voice, in the first instance  ;-)

TheOwl ( ) posted Thu, 24 January 2013 at 7:41 PM · edited Thu, 24 January 2013 at 7:42 PM

What I did is I post auditions in two sites:

http://voiceacting.proboards.com/index.cgi

http://voiceactingalliance.com/board/forum.php

Most of the details are in the stickies on how to post an audition. Let me give you additional tips:

Since this is going to be a web series, make sure you let them know of this because this is not a one shot thing and requires some commitment in their part and post a very descriptive background or summary of what your project is about and importantly, post artwork or screenshots of the characters that are open for audition. The more impressive they look, the more they will be motivated to join you.

Give it at least a week to audition and take your pick ONLY after the deadline so that it will be fair for them.

Most of these people are young adults and some are actually professionals if you manage to attract them. Expect some delays and some of them suddenly getting sick and full of excuses for not being able to send their pieces in time.

Encourage them, complement them and be patient with them. Try not to be angry because it is important to make good relationships with these people especially the older, veterans who will be more available to you if you decide to make another project.

Be more demanding only if you have money to pay them.

Passion is anger and love combined. So if it looks angry, give it some love!

imagination304 ( ) posted Thu, 24 January 2013 at 8:08 PM · edited Thu, 24 January 2013 at 8:09 PM

Hi TheOwl,

I tried your link and don't know why Kaspersky Anti-virus locked these 2 images:

http://suzumiya-haruhi.net/images/vacwinter.jpg

http://suzumiya-haruhi.net/images/whitebubbles.jpg

Acadia ( ) posted Thu, 24 January 2013 at 10:01 PM

I think I would be up for this, so long as I don't have to install Poser or an animation program.

I've been told that I have a nice voice. And back in junior high school, a very long time ago, in English class we had to act out a Shakespear play via tape recording.  Unfortunately I was rather nerdy back then, and so was my best friend, so it was just the 2 of us having to act out a play that had several characters.... 7 or 8 I think.  

Our English teacher was so impressed by it that he asked if he could play it for the class. We were so horrified by that and declined.  I can't even imagine the bullying that would have taken place had he played it in class.   We did get an A+

I did a video tutorial here, you can hear me speaking.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/videopro/index.php?View=Y&video_id=364

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

monkeycloud ( ) posted Sat, 26 January 2013 at 1:21 AM

You do have a nice voice Acadia ;)

Good video tut by the way too... did you do any others that are kicking about to watch?

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 26 January 2013 at 8:09 PM

Quote - > Quote - You do have a nice voice Acadia ;)

Good video tut by the way too... did you do any others that are kicking about to watch?

Thank you :)

No. I had planned on doing several others, but haven't gotten around to it.  I had a computer crash and lost all of my Poser content including my runtimes, so I'm not really in the mood to install Poser and try and find all of the content and start on my runtime again. Just too much effort.

monkeycloud ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2013 at 2:52 PM

Quote -
No. I had planned on doing several others, but haven't gotten around to it.  I had a computer crash and lost all of my Poser content including my runtimes, so I'm not really in the mood to install Poser and try and find all of the content and start on my runtime again. Just too much effort.

Ah, my condolences regards your crashed PC Acadia... actually I remember now you mentioning that previously, I think.

Maybe, when you can eventually face the task of starting again, you should record a tutorial covering the various ins and outs of content installation! :)

Quite seriously, that would be a highly worthwhile tut to have here I suspect...

Anyway, you should definitely give the voice acting a go I reckon.

Acadia ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2013 at 6:16 PM

Quote - Maybe, when you can eventually face the task of starting again, you should record a tutorial covering the various ins and outs of content installation! :)

Quite seriously, that would be a highly worthwhile tut to have here I suspect...

I still might do some tutorials for Poser. You don't have to install a bunch of content to do it. The basic content would work just fine.

But I'm seriously done with Poser so far as "art" creation is concerned, at least for the foreseeable future.  I just have no desire to redownload all of my content and work at installing it all again.  Way too much effort and it doesn't appeal to me at all.  Plus a lot of my runtime consisted of things that were freebies that aren't available any longer and content from other stores that no longer exisit. It's too depressing to think about.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.