Thu, Sep 19, 5:40 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Freestuff

Welcome to the Freestuff Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, RedPhantom, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Freestuff F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 17 4:48 pm)

Welcome to the Freestuff Forum. The Freestuff Forum is intended for all  freestuff related postings within our community. This is a highlight area where our membership is invited to review, announce and give feedback in greater detail on various freestuff items offered.  Members can also post wishes of freestuff items they would like to see.

Notice: Links to offsite 'For Sale' items will be removed

Renderosity Free Stuff Area

Free Stuff Gallery

Free Stuff Guidelines

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: ISO Lost in space, Item Robot.

tonymouse ( ) posted Mon, 11 February 2013 at 12:38 AM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 5:40 PM

As I recall there was a lost in space robot out there for Poser anybody know if it is still avalible anywhere.  ;) A buddy of mine is  huge LIS fan I would like to find it for him. I found one for lightwave and that will not do.

PoppaC ( ) posted Mon, 11 February 2013 at 3:50 AM

Yes look for Roby the robot There is one but you have to join the site o get it

Gareee ( ) posted Mon, 11 February 2013 at 7:41 AM

The lost in space robot is the B9 I believe it was also hosted here as well, but it is commercial, not free. There are a few Robbies, once commercial I believe, but all have some accuracy issues.

(Robby was in one episode, so technically he is a LIS robot, but not the one you are seeking.)

I also released a free space pod years ago as well, and lostinspaceman has a website with everything free hosted.

Somewhat on topic, Moebius models is releasing a 1:6 scale (gi joe sized) B9 model kit later this year, and there are also new lost in space minimate toy figures that were announced at toyfair yesterday, as well as a new robot light and sound toy.

Not that I follow it at ALL.. ;)

Way too many people take way too many things way too seriously.

tonymouse ( ) posted Mon, 11 February 2013 at 8:29 AM

you are right Gareee, I am looking for the B9, I forgot that Robby was even on the show ;) wht was the commercial one called?? I might get it.

Redfern ( ) posted Mon, 11 February 2013 at 11:50 AM

When you say you found one for LightWave but it "would not do," was it due to it being a format that wouldn't properly import, general inaccuracy, or does it HAVE to be Poser rigged?

I ask because years ago, James Murphy, a fellow in the UK, shared a version that was in .3DS and I'd say 90 to 95 percent accurate.  (The bubble was a tad flat and it had too many rows of "neon tubing".)  Murphy also shared several other models including a Jupiter II (the one that LostinSpaceMan offered with some "tweaks"), an Eagle from Space: 1999 (that thing was shared all over the 'net), a Terminator endo-skeleton (several of the free rigged versions over the years were based on that mesh), and others.

Sadly, that B9 model no longer has an active download link from his all but abandoned site.  But hopefully some "Google-fu" might call up an active download.

Excalibur Productions (aka XCalpro) modeled one a few years ago (maybe 6 or 7) that's even more accurate than Murphy's.  (I supplied him with various reference links to B9 builder hobbyists.)  And it's rigged for Poser.  Sadly, he charges what he calls a "bandwidth maintenance" fee, claiming it's not for the model itself, but to offset the cost of downloading it.  (That's splitting hairs if you ask me.)

There's one at SciFi Meshes that is truly free and very accurate, but currently it's only in Cinema4D format.  Ironically a few other models from the same artist are in .OBJ version.  You can, of course contact the artist and ask if he'll export a .OBJ version that Poser and DAZ Studio can import.  (He released the Discovery's pod bay interior at ShareCG.)

Sincerely,

Bill

Tempt the Hand of Fate and it'll give you the "finger"!

Redfern ( ) posted Mon, 11 February 2013 at 12:01 PM

Ah, found the page for the Al Dinelt (Tralfaz) version at Sci-Fi Meshes.

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=127

You might have to create an account to properly view that section, I'm not sure.

Sincerely,

Bill

Gareee ( ) posted Mon, 11 February 2013 at 12:38 PM

Rendo's marketplace probably canned the robot, due to lack of sales.. if you don't sell enough quantity, they boot ya here.

Example: In like 10 years of poser content, they have only 4 pages of robot hits in the store.

Redfern ( ) posted Mon, 11 February 2013 at 2:39 PM

Idiot question from me...

What robot within Rendo's MarketPlace?  Are you saying someone was selling a "Lost in Space" mesh right here?

Sincerely,

Bill

Redfern ( ) posted Mon, 11 February 2013 at 4:57 PM

Thought Tralfaz might have inluded a .OBJ file along with the Cinema4D format so i downloaded it.  No such luck.  Not yet, anyway.  Tralfaz WAS on the server just this afternoon, so maybe he read my comment.

So maybe he'll supply a "Wavefront object" that you can import.

Sincerely,

Bill

PoppaC ( ) posted Mon, 11 February 2013 at 5:37 PM

I have each of them and were complete  models and they were free at one time I have had them for years so don't remember where they were but I am sure you can still find them

Redfern ( ) posted Tue, 12 February 2013 at 12:56 PM

Tony, I just composed and sent a private message to Tralfaz at SciFi-Meshes just in case he does not regularly check the posts in the download section.  I asked if he might consider sharing a .OBJ version of his Robot mesh.  I assume you may not own Cinema4D in which case the current version of the model would be of no use to you.

Hopefully he'll read the request and consider it.

Me?  I have XCalpro's version so I'm okay, but I know others would appreciate Tralfaz's version.

Sincerely,

Bill

PoppaC ( ) posted Tue, 12 February 2013 at 1:28 PM

I did a serch on sharecg and found them each and each works in DAZ3&4

Redfern ( ) posted Tue, 12 February 2013 at 2:36 PM

Would you mind providing those links for TonyMouse?

I ask only because my seaches proved fruitless.  I searched under the "Poser", the "3D Models" and the "DAZ Studio" sections for both "Robby" and "B9" and got negative results.  Now, if one uses the search field for the entire site, then, yes, one will get a listing for both.  BUT...when one clicks upon those links, they lead to pages stating those items were removed, which is exactly what LostinSpaceMan did when there was discussion from the site owner about possibly charging a download fee.

Now, if you actually found valid download pages for them, great!  As I said, TonyMouse will appreciate them.  But I personally had no luck.

Sincerely,

Bill

PoppaC ( ) posted Tue, 12 February 2013 at 5:06 PM

Sorry I just went back and like you came up with nothing now it was there I would not have told you if they were not but it seems that they each robbie and B9 are off line Just wished I could send them to ya but there is a no redistrabution in the readme

Redfern ( ) posted Tue, 12 February 2013 at 6:32 PM

Oh, like I said, I don't need either, I already have the figures.  It's TonyMouse who is searching for the B9.  But as you pointed out the read-me documents are unclear about 3rd party sharing.  That's why I'm trying to communicate with Tralfaz and urge him to post a .OBJ version that TonyMouse can ethically grab for himself.

Sincerely,

Bill

tonymouse ( ) posted Tue, 12 February 2013 at 7:51 PM

All of your efforts are greatly appreciated, I am  a  poser user, and for some silly reason I thought I remember a B9 for poser back in the day but you are all much more knolagable than I ;) I would be happy with a prop at this point in OBJ would be exellent. if you hear any more please let me know :)

Redfern ( ) posted Tue, 12 February 2013 at 9:26 PM

You're not silly, not in this regard.  There have been at least three "rigged" for Poser.

Currently, there's the Poser coded "character" (.CR2) file here...

http://xcalpro.com/tng/download.php?view.44

...but he charges a "bandwidth usage" fee, so I'll let you decide.

"LostinSpaceMan" did have a rigged version of the James Murphy model at ShareCG, but he pulled all of his material when the site owner discussed possible fees.

And there used to be a third with proportions that varied quite a bit from the famed Bob Kinoshita prop/costume.  (It looked more like a parody of the design.)  Plus, I don't where it can be found any more.

I received a reply from Tralfaz and he was quite gracious.  He exported a .OBJ version and tried loading it at RapidShare, but when I accessed the link, the folder was empty.  Something must have gotten "borked".  So I'll send him another message to let him know.

Sincerely,

Bill

Redfern ( ) posted Wed, 13 February 2013 at 9:13 AM

Tralfaz received my message about the RapidShare issue and he responded, stating he'd try again with another service tonight.

I did ask him why doesn't he upload it to ScFi-Meshes, but maybe he has reasons for not doing that.

Anyway, that's the state of things at the moment.

Sincerely,

Bill

Redfern ( ) posted Wed, 13 February 2013 at 9:25 PM

Okay TonyMouse, Tralfaz has provided a model you can (hopefully) use.  He simply replaced the existing Cinema4D version with a .OBJ, so the same link I provided earlier is now the one you want.

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=127

Keep in mind, however, this is a LARGE mesh, nearly 693,000 faces!  (That's like 10 Vickies in your scene.  But it's nicely detailed.  Even the lettering of the chest buttons are polygons rather than textures.

You'll need to make sure all materials have their "normals forward" checked as some surfaces are inverted.  Fortunately, there are only 14, so it won't take long.

Tralfaz makes one stipulation.  He'd appreciate it if one lists a credit for his contribution.  I don't know if he means if it should be text displayed upon the render itself or simply a by-line in a description upon whatever page host the art.

Anyway, there you are.  Hope your friend enjoys the art you create.

Sincerely,

Bill

Redfern ( ) posted Wed, 13 February 2013 at 10:10 PM

file_491604.jpg

Here's a cxomparison render depicting Tralfaz's model in the middle, XCalpro's version on the viewer's left and James Murphy's mesh on the viewer's right.  I opted to make the waist pivot torus the commone height element.

Sincerely,

Bill

karl.garnham1 ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2013 at 5:25 AM

Hi Tonymouse

Is the Lost in space robot the blue robot Because I am happy to have a go at making you one I can't make any promises Because I use Bryce The Program Crashes if it tries to convert too many polygons. if you are interested let me know and I will see what I can do I will upload it to the Free Stuff on Renderosity(under another name so you can use it commercially). Let me know and I will get working on it right away.

Cheers

Karl

karl.garnham1 ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2013 at 5:42 AM

Also I can make a robbie if you are interested the files would be in 3ds and obj

Redfern ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2013 at 6:26 AM

Blue robot?  Oh, you must be noticing the red and blue "fill" lights I used in the comparison render.  All three meshes as different artirts' interpretation of the "Lost in Space" Robot.  While there are some variations, surely they are recognizable as the same automaton.

The only time I recall blue ever being used for the LiS Robot was with the vintage Remco brand toy of the 1960s.  My toy had blue legs and arms and a red torso and tread box.  But the actual prop/costume was never painted like that.

Sincerely,

Bill

karl.garnham1 ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2013 at 6:44 AM

Hi Redfern

The Blue one was in the one with the awful Joey Character off friends it was the B9 Robot.I can make both if thats what people would like. Here is a link to the B9 Robot

www.hobbytalk.com

I can make the robots no problem.

PoppaC ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2013 at 7:03 AM

I for one would Love to have each again and put them to great work

Redfern ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2013 at 7:16 AM

Ah, the movie robot.

You want to model that one?  Knock yourself out.  I'm sure some people will want it, but to me, that will never surplant Robert Kinoshita's classic design.  Though I might "redress" it a bit and use it as another mech.

I must have really blocked that movie from my mind because I honestly could not recall the anime influenced WALDO cyber-frame.  (I call it that not as an insult but with deepest earnest.  It did look like the kind of robots one might see in Japanese animation and Will "drove" it remotely at one one, hence the WALDO comparison.)

Sincerely,

Bill

Gareee ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2013 at 9:44 AM

I completely forgot it as well. easily a forgettable robot if there ever was one.

Gimme Johnny 5 instead! ;)

Redfern ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2013 at 8:07 PM

Attached Link: http://web.archive.org/web/20010408213119/http://www.btinternet.com/~tobor/meshes.htm

I had an idea earlier today (always a dangerous thing), why not try the "WayBack Machine"?  After a few false leads, I stumbled across this archived page and discovered that both the B9 and the Robby zip files can still be accessed!

Alas, the Jupiter II model could not be found and I haven't bothered with the other links.

So, if anyone is wanting either Kinoshita design, you might want to get them before something happens.

Sincerely,

Bill

PoppaC ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2013 at 8:48 PM

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA now I can replase my lost zips thanks a BIGGG bunch

JoePublic ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2013 at 9:39 PM · edited Thu, 14 February 2013 at 9:44 PM

file_491635.jpg

Many thanks for the link to Murphy's B9, Redfern.

100% accurate or not, it's a great model and it renders beautifully in PP-2012.

With just 86000 polys it's even light enough to be used as a B9 toy robot as a backround deco in aroom.

karl.garnham1 ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2013 at 4:48 AM

I will start work on a free version of the Lost in Space Robots you can use it for whatever because they will be called movie robot.

Redfern ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2013 at 5:21 AM

Glad to be of service.

I thought it a shame the model was seemingly skipped (along with a few others) as "Tobor" transferred his site pages to newer domains.  Then I remembered how some of the really Aiko 3 items were retrieved from old iterations of now defunct Japanese sites using the WayBack Machine.  So, I gave it a shot.  Frankly, I'm surprised it worked.

As for accuracy, I'd say it comes within 90 percent, easily.  All the elements are there; it's just the proportions that are the slightest bit "off".  (And unless you're a pedantic B9 fan like me, you're likely not to notice them.)  Compare that to one of the free Robby Robots that, while rigged for Poser, has a "head" so overscaled that it makes the thing look more like a comedic "chibi" figure.  Funny enough, I'd rate Murphy's Robby" a 98 or better.  He must have worked from that blueprint styled poster StarLog published some 30+ years ago.

Sincerely,

Bill

karl.garnham1 ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2013 at 9:21 AM

Hi Redfern

Just one Question what type of Lost in Space Robot would you like the most(I am making both and looking at photo's of the original and the Blue B9.

Gareee ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2013 at 9:15 PM

That DOES look nice! Its turing out to be a great B9 year, with the 1:6 scale model being released this year as well as the minimates.

ypvs ( ) posted Sat, 16 February 2013 at 5:05 AM · edited Sat, 16 February 2013 at 5:07 AM

I only have fleeting memories of Lost In Space. I always thought he was the same as Robbie from Forbidden Planet. It's interesting to see his influence.

I'm wondering how much the 1:1 replicas cost!

Poser 11 , 180Gb in 8 Runtimes, PaintShop Pro 9
Windows 7 64 bit, Avast AV, Comodo Firewall
Intel Q9550 Quad Core cpu,  16Gb RAM, 250Gb + 250Gb +160Gb HD, GeForce GTX 1060

Redfern ( ) posted Sat, 16 February 2013 at 6:07 AM · edited Sat, 16 February 2013 at 6:09 AM

Current price...24,500 dollars with the following features...

http://www.lostinspacerobot.com/features.html

That's if you go with a pre-assembled replica.  Or you can go the 'builder" route and purchase parts individually and put them together.  That way you can make it as simple  (and thus less expensive) or as complex (costing more, obviously) as you want.

http://www.b9robotbuildersclub.com/index.html

I remember seeing a replica (on-line) that didn't use actual neon tubes, but instead inexpensive acrylic rods that were sanded for diffusion and backlit by a simple 100 bulb housed within the torso.  Yet the final effect was was almost identical to the far more expensive neon circuit.

Someone else built a Robot that would physically "slump" using internal "piston" mechanisms housed within the legs when the "power pack" was yanked.

There are some very talented hobbyists out there.

Sincerely,

Bill

Redfern ( ) posted Sat, 16 March 2013 at 7:46 AM

file_492666.jpg

Finally depiced a visual gag I imagined long ago.

B9 is XCalPro's model and Robby is James "Tobor" Murphy's.

Sincerely,

Bill

tonymouse ( ) posted Sat, 16 March 2013 at 2:18 PM

that is awesome adn funny I love it ;)

Redfern ( ) posted Mon, 10 March 2014 at 6:19 PM

I recently learned that Sci-Fi Meshes had some technical problems.  (I think it was hacked, but I'm not sure.)  When the owners got the site running again, the model download section was taken offline.

So, the link I provided to Tralfaz's version is no longer valid.  I just wanted to let anyone know who may have tried that link recently.

Sorry, gang.

But at least the link to the WayBack archive of James Murphy's site still works and the dowloads for both his B9 and Robby are still functional.

Sincerely,

Bill

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.