Thu, Sep 19, 9:11 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 3:46 am)

Subject: Running Poser from a Thumb Drive

cedarwolf ( ) posted Sun, 24 February 2013 at 9:54 PM · edited Sun, 21 July 2024 at 11:15 PM

Hi guys, back again.  I'm trying to help a friend and he keeps asking questions I can't answer so I go to the "go to" folks.  Here's the question:

Thumbdrive Computers are cheap (not my choice of terms, I didn't even know they existed) so can you install Poser to one of them and have it be a "dedicated" computer and actually run the program anywhere you can plug it in?

I honestly do not know what he's talking about on some of this but I told him I'd ask.

Thanks.

markschum ( ) posted Sun, 24 February 2013 at 11:10 PM

Poser does not put much in the registry so putting your poser application and runtime on a flash drive or other portable drive should work.  I dont know if you would get an error when it tries to access the registry.  You could ovecome that anyway by saving the poser part of the registry and reloading it to the target machine.

I dont know what you mean by thumbdrive computer.

AmbientShade ( ) posted Sun, 24 February 2013 at 11:10 PM

Do you mean this?

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/05/new-74-android-mini-computer-is-slightly-larger-than-a-thumb-drive/

Your post is confusing because the title says Thumb Drive, and the body says Thumb Computer. Two different creatures, so which is it?

A thumb drive is another term for a flash drive - it's a small USB device that acts as an external/portable hard drive, about the size of your thumb (hence the name). You just plug it in, copy files to it, and go. 

The tech is similar to SSD drives (solid state drives), or the storage on your phone or iPod. You can run small programs from it. Trying to run a program as large as Poser probably would not be a good idea tho. Never tried it. Maybe someone here has. I'd say its not recommended, but that's just my opinion.

A thumbdrive computer tho is something else. 

~Shane

heddheld ( ) posted Mon, 25 February 2013 at 3:06 AM

Just had a look at the specs on that link AmbentShade posted and would have to guess no, its running Linux and as far as I know no one has poser running well under wine and it has very limited ram but with the speed the comp industry evolves it may be possible soon ;-)

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 25 February 2013 at 6:59 AM

In addition, a feedback to the flash drive while in use will make it toast and unusable.

linnymac ( ) posted Mon, 25 February 2013 at 7:11 AM

Thanks, everyone.  I'll pass the info on.

Scharmers ( ) posted Tue, 05 March 2013 at 12:55 PM

Thread arise.  Maybe what we're talking about is a portable Poser installation; i.e. install Poser on a thumbdrive and run it from there in any computer.

Although this sounds kind of ridiculous -- especially based on most of our runtime sizes -- it's not.  There's 128 GB (!) sticks out there.  I use a couple of 32 GB sticks as backups. 

I'm sure this conversation has come up before but I'm just randomly browsing and this thread caught my eye.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.