Tue, Oct 22, 2:28 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 1:40 am)

Subject: Anyone Else Having Problems Running Poser Pro 2012 on Win 8?

onimusha ( ) posted Thu, 14 March 2013 at 9:41 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 2:27 AM

Getting a side by side error and installing C++ runtimes hasn't helped.  Does anyone know how to solve this problem.

Why does Windows 8 suck so bad?

AlanaDale ( ) posted Thu, 14 March 2013 at 10:02 PM

Quote - Why does Windows 8 suck so bad?

Maybe they used the same design team responsible for Vista.

ashley9803 ( ) posted Fri, 15 March 2013 at 12:14 AM

The best way with P2012 is to let it install exactly where it wants to. Did you perhaps move away from the default install path/settings? If not, then I really don't know what it could be (and I'll let others iron out the bugs with Win8 before I ever think of moving over.)

infinity10 ( ) posted Fri, 15 March 2013 at 12:29 AM

I'm not having any problems running Poser Pro 2012 64-bit on my Windows 8 64-bit OS. 

You may be experiencing a permissions / security issue under your OS. Don't think it is Poser software issue.

Eternal Hobbyist

ashley9803 ( ) posted Fri, 15 March 2013 at 1:28 AM

Quote - You may be experiencing a permissions / security issue under your OS. Don't think it is Poser software issue.

I also think this will untimately be found to be the problem. That's why we installed previous versions outside the program files folder, but I thought with P2012 the issue was corrected. Perhaps not. It's recommended these days to just let it install away happily and there's no problems. That's why I suggested that the OP might have installed to a path that led to permissions/security issues.

FalseBogus ( ) posted Fri, 15 March 2013 at 1:54 AM

win8 64bit and PP2012 working just nicely.

I do install all programs to another drive, other than where windows is (c:) so the restrictions that apply to c:program files doesn't affect. Not that I mind those, but I like to keep my system drive as clean as possible.

onimusha ( ) posted Fri, 15 March 2013 at 2:03 AM · edited Fri, 15 March 2013 at 2:04 AM

I am quite infuriated by this. 

When I originally installed PP2012 on my new machine, I had unchecked 32 bit content.  Thinking this was the problem and that it might contain the information I need, I uninstalled and reinstalled PP2012 with this checked.

I didn't change any install paths, but my next step will be to install onto a separate drive...

PP2012 still doesn't work on my new machine after installing several C++ runtimes and reinstalling.  I'm finding Windows 8 very frustrating.

Thanks for the tips...

FalseBogus ( ) posted Fri, 15 March 2013 at 2:06 AM

I don't have 32bits of poser installed at all so I can confirm that it works without them.

onimusha ( ) posted Fri, 15 March 2013 at 2:12 AM

... and installing to another drive besides C: hasn't worked...

Subsequent installs also haven't asked me for my serial number which makes me think the uninstall hasn't completely removed everything from the HD...

... even more infuriated now...

onimusha ( ) posted Fri, 15 March 2013 at 2:15 AM

32 bit version is working fine, however... wondering if I should just not worry about using the 64 bit version.  How much performance will I lose?

FalseBogus ( ) posted Fri, 15 March 2013 at 2:15 AM

Serial info can be also stored in registry, have you run the install as admin? (I think it might force you to, so might be a dumb question from me)

FalseBogus ( ) posted Fri, 15 March 2013 at 2:16 AM

Quote - 32 bit version is working fine, however... wondering if I should just not worry about using the 64 bit version.  How much performance will I lose?

Not performance but ability to use more than 2Gb of memory for Poser. 

ashley9803 ( ) posted Fri, 15 March 2013 at 3:07 AM

"Not performance but ability to use more than 2Gb of memory for Poser"

That's a real performance issue in my book. The ability to access >4 GB of RAM is what P2012 all about. If you don't have that you have one hand tied behind you back with no good reason.

FalseBogus ( ) posted Fri, 15 March 2013 at 3:10 AM

Depends on how you define performance.

But I don't think you're wrong either ;)

onimusha ( ) posted Fri, 15 March 2013 at 3:24 AM

Yeah this is going to be really frustrating... I might try posting this problem on the tech forum and see if someone with a really deep skillset has an answer.  Thanks for all the help...

Teyon ( ) posted Fri, 15 March 2013 at 3:43 AM

You could also, you know, contact Tech Support. Just putting that out there.

ashley9803 ( ) posted Fri, 15 March 2013 at 3:51 AM

Might be time to roll back to Win7 64 rather than the shaddow-boxing with Win8 problems. Yeh, I know this involves the hassle re-installing a new OS. Depends on how much you want to continue fighting. Others have things working fine on Win8, you decide.

Teyon ( ) posted Fri, 15 March 2013 at 4:51 AM

Seriously, I can not stress enough - contact Tech Support. You should not have to reinstall your entire OS for whatever issue you're having with Poser.

onimusha ( ) posted Fri, 15 March 2013 at 8:53 AM

Yeah there's been no response on the tech forum which is probably why it's so sparse.  Tech support here I come...

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Fri, 15 March 2013 at 10:16 AM

the more tech support knows about poser and win8 issues, the more stable the next poser version will be, i imagine.

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.